• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ahhhh.... Teen Love.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
Do you think age matters when it comes to love?

I personally think that you can find love at any age. There are people out there who were not even high school sweet hearts. They were more like middle school sweet hearts. However, I think it's harder to find it at such a young age, cause not everyone has fully matured and developed enough. A lot of time people do think they love them, but they are just inexperienced and don't really know what love feels like.

But, I do believe the possibilities are endless and I'm sure you can find love as even a little tocdler (:

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
Well no. It doesn't. I think that everybody is capable of loving since they were born. It just depends on how sheltered they are.

Years
No, it doesn't.

We are all capable of loving from a very early age - but I know you mean romantic love so I'll focus on that.

Yes, it is unlikely to find such a thing as committed romantic love at such a young age but I have been there myself (if you count eighteen as still fitting this category) and I know others who started dating in the midst of high school who are still together over four years later.

So yeah, it's really unlikely but it is clearly possible.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Do you think age matters when it comes to love?
Yeah I think so, at least a little. Obviously the distinction to be made is love for romantic purposes, but it all kinda ties in. And I'm going to take a little different stance than the others here, but when you look at people who are younger, anywhere from childhood to adulthood, often times you find people who don't look for love, but find it. When you're not scrutinizing everyone or searching for that soul mate, you find yourself building an honest relationship that develops into love. That's not to say older people are the opposite, it's just that when you get to that age, you may find yourself "looking" and I think it becomes harder to reach that end conclusion of love.

Years
I never actually experienced it.

I agree that age matters when it comes to love, in romantic matters, that is.
I never fell in love before, not once and probably never will, that's what they call "Foreveralone" but that's not how I feel.

An old friend of mine romantically fell in love at the age of 6. His parents said that it might influence his future, I watched and eavesdropped and I slightly agreed with that in my mind.

But don't get me wrong, I actually learned from myself as I watched and listened to what they'd say.
Young people shouldn't really fall in love romantically as their minds are not fully developed or mature as they say.
And teens, huh.. Majority of them are immature and I don't want to discuss about it.

Last edited:

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Me I dunno I had one girl stalk me last year but that's because I was "flirting" with her and she misread it but I flirt with everyone. I have never fallen in love and when it comes to teen love maybe one of the people in the couple might love the other but maybe not the other one. I don't reckon I will marry a highschool sweetheart because everything I've ever done with girls has always been other during a party or I've just not felt anything of interest in their personality. Love can sprout at any age maybe it remains hidden for a few years but it can happen.

Evanlyn

Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!
Years
I believe you can love at any age, love itself has no boundaries. However, when that love turns into sexual actions, age does matter. That's when you need to be mature.

Love is a tricky thing. There are many different kinds of love. The generalality of love, including all the different kinds of love, can be experienced from the day you are born till the day you die.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I agree, I think one can love at any age. Love is not an emotion that dies when we get older, it stays with us until we die. I think it's gross when an 80 year old dates a 15 year old, but who am I to judge? If they truly love each other then it's fine. Screw societal norms!

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Teens can have deep states of infatuation, but never true romantic commitments to one person. Everything is still in an immature state, including love. I always wondered how couples from high school stick together after 30 years, and in quite successful lives too, while being so dependent on each other. Maybe its cause I never had a steady girlfriend, but I just feel that at that age without one inkling of independence its highly immature to go from your parents to that person, and that's it. You've taken the responsibilities of life together, but still its quite puzzling for me.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
This is one of those cases that really depends on the person. Not all teenagers are going to be mature enough to understand their feelings fully (not even all young adults can either), and others will. I know a couple, still in high school, that has been together for four years. I don't foresee that changing any time soon, but hey, stuff happens.

I myself was in love with someone from age 17 til...I guess now? I'd like to say it has gone away, but I think he'll always have a place in my heart no matter what. That's hard to say, it really is. I've loved him even through a lot of pain he put me through, and that's almost five years of my life. For my age, that is a long time to love someone in that way.

Years
Psychologist have studied brain development in young adults, and the consensus seems to be that teens' brains are around 80% development. By age 25, the brain is fully-developed. Regions of the brain exhibit most growth involve personality.

Aside from finishing college, we observe lesser and lesser risky behavior between ages 22-26 because of this development. The most rapid change in development in adults.

With that said, teens are not fully developed, their personalities are not developed and therefore cannot know if they are compatible or not. Let alone any issues involving maturity.

Maturity, involves working and/or excelling in school and ultimately discover one's purpose and talents. Treating work and school as a first priority, perhaps tied with family, which would ultimately be the benefactors of work and school achievements.

Teens, largely, don't know for certain, if at all, what they want to do with their lives. Developing a strong relationship requires each person know what they realistically can do with their lives and how that serves some purpose. Without such ambitions, it would seem the relationship is frivolous. (Reasons why many "aspiring" desiring-to-make-it-big-without-working-hard models, actors, singers, comedians, and performers of all types are less likely to maintain long-lasting relationships in comparison to those with serious and purposeful career aspirations.

In the vast vast vast majority of cases, teen romance is nothing more than a learning experience for dating after establishing one's identity. If you are young and think I am wrong, give it a few years and you will look back on your young love in jest, embarrassment, anger, confusion, ect. You will have one of those, "did I really???" moments.

Last edited:
Years
Love is possible regardless of age. I think people generally would like to meet their "soulmate" around their prime age, which would be the young adult bracket. For example, I myself thought I was in love with my ex-boyfriend who I was with for nearly 3 years during high school. Didn't work out, but it was a learning experience, showing me what I want in my next partner. That being said, every person you try to maintain a decent relationship with is a self learning experience; you know what you like and dislike. Trying to figure that out can take some time so it's possible to love even at older ages, probably just a little more difficult.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Well, I'm biased because I've been in love with someone since I was 14, and I'm in my twenties and it's still there. So I tend to believe that you can fall in love with someone no matter whether you're 14, or 40, and understand it well enough. Seems like it's all the same. Probably depends on the person, but you can't help who you love, nor when it happens.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
Years
I think it's definitely possible to fall in love at any age, though I do think it has more to do with maturity than actual age.

My now-husband and I became friends and then started dating in grade 12 of high school (though I had known who he was since preschool since we'd gone to all the same schools). We knew we loved each other two months into the relationship and knew we wanted to get married after we'd been together 4 months (though we waited until this past august to finally tie the knot).

That said, I also think love is much more than just having giddy, butterfly-like feelings in your stomach. It's not just a constant state of "I love you" and that's it. It's about being able to accept each other's differences, embracing the other person as they are and being willing to work together to make your relationship succeed.

Aj Harold

The champ
Years
Yeah it matters! Love has also two ways, just liking each other or in a sexual way! And for teens who are under 18, there bodies are still not grown up enough to do to something like that!
and, love in a way that two person just like each other and enjoy talking, having coffee and tea with each other is different! So, it depends on what love are you having!

Years
I don't think that age matters either - some people find the real love sooner some find it later... It pretty much depends on the person.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Yeah it matters! Love has also two ways, just liking each other or in a sexual way! And for teens who are under 18, there bodies are still not grown up enough to do to something like that!
and, love in a way that two person just like each other and enjoy talking, having coffee and tea with each other is different! So, it depends on what love are you having!

You are mistaken, physically the body is read for love and intimacy as soon as puberty has been reached. It's the development of the mind that will determine if and when a person is ready for it, not the body. Most are physically ready at age 10-12 (girls usually sooner than boys).

Years
You are mistaken, physically the body is read for love and intimacy as soon as puberty has been reached. It's the development of the mind that will determine if and when a person is ready for it, not the body. Most are physically ready at age 10-12 (girls usually sooner than boys).

Very good point made there! Absolutely agree with this. Literally speaking, bodies are ready once puberty starts, this is especially true for girls and determining whether "true love" can occur at any stage beyond that point because we probably are not mentally ready. Personally, I'm not a believer in the whole concept of "love at first sight" because I feel that individuals have to learn about each other to a certain degree before stating, absolutely, that they are in love with someone. Sure, they might seem like your ideal life partner from first impression, but their personality could potentially change during any time you're together. It's hard to determine completely if you're actually in love with someone because what does "love" mean? It could mean something different to everyone.

Years
The brain still grows til about age 25/26, most growth experienced between puberty and mid-20's occurs in the areas that determine or influence personality. Most of this growth is done around the early 20's. One thing to keep in mind.

Also, I'd also say any advice given to me or I have given to others seems to fall on deaf ears. We will all go through the naive teens and early twenties (which I still am). Though I could articulate to someone that a teen romance is likely to not result in anything substantial, and the meaning of love will evolve into something much more dynamic with age, it's really only learned through experience. When that time comes, and you look back in a few years from now and remember...the dark avenger told you so ;)

Back