• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Harvest Moon Tool Kit (HMTK)

Years
I'll check around the general Game Development and Pokemon Essentials sections for screen resolutions. It's a topic that's been rehashed there a bit, so everything from screen sizes of the GBA and DS to arguments for or against particular sizes should be pretty easy to find. DS size does sound like it might be the best bet though. It would be a little smaller than what we have now I believe.

As for the face graphic being on the wrong side, that is a bug in the event itself. At the very end of the tool shop owner's event, you just need to add a script command: $game_temp.face_align=0. I took care of it in the code, but overlooked it in the event. I implemented face alignment this time around, so it could be on the left or right, but I did not update the code for heart rendering at the same time. I'll get that in the next release. This face alignment functionality will eventually allow multiple characters to talk in the same conversation window, with one face on either side.

We're thinking on the same page! I was wondering how to get other characters to appear in the conversations, especially once heart events get implemented very soon :) I probably won't fiddle around too much with this until the next release, but in the meantime, I'll rip graphics for you, to be some help.... What are we needing? Animals? Haha

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
We're thinking on the same page! I was wondering how to get other characters to appear in the conversations, especially once heart events get implemented very soon :) I probably won't fiddle around too much with this until the next release, but in the meantime, I'll rip graphics for you, to be some help.... What are we needing? Animals? Haha
Yes, animals are very definitely needed. I've been using Pokemon charsets just because they were convenient and fit in with the community here, but a more complete set of Harvest Moon graphics is definitely on the wishlist.

You can see in the project that a lot of the general tiles have already been ripped, but I'm missing quite a few of the town tiles and several charsets (like the goddess, the sprites, and many NPCs). All town buildings probably need to be re-ripped for each season (I have a couple that are slightly discolored due to the time of day or using the wrong season's tiles), in addition to a more accurate rip of the town square. Some interiors haven't been ripped yet either, such as the animal shop, church, mayor's house, player's upgraded house, etc. There are also some mountain, farm tiles missing, in addition to the mine tiles being fairly shoddy. There are also no festival or wedding graphics yet (such as special charsets) with which to make more complete festivals, but those aren't terribly high priority at the moment. The outdoor town rips alone would be a big help, as would NPCs and animals.

I've also started on a wiki. I'll post a link and make note of it in the first post when there's enough content. From there I will likely start moving a lot of info out of the first post and into the wiki instead, and make that the primary information source while this thread remains for up to date discussion.

Years
Yes, animals are very definitely needed. I've been using Pokemon charsets just because they were convenient and fit in with the community here, but a more complete set of Harvest Moon graphics is definitely on the wishlist.

You can see in the project that a lot of the general tiles have already been ripped, but I'm missing quite a few of the town tiles and several charsets (like the goddess, the sprites, and many NPCs). All town buildings probably need to be re-ripped for each season (I have a couple that are slightly discolored due to the time of day or using the wrong season's tiles), in addition to a more accurate rip of the town square. Some interiors haven't been ripped yet either, such as the animal shop, church, mayor's house, player's upgraded house, etc. There are also some mountain, farm tiles missing, in addition to the mine tiles being fairly shoddy. There are also no festival or wedding graphics yet (such as special charsets) with which to make more complete festivals, but those aren't terribly high priority at the moment. The outdoor town rips alone would be a big help, as would NPCs and animals.

I've also started on a wiki. I'll post a link and make note of it in the first post when there's enough content. From there I will likely start moving a lot of info out of the first post and into the wiki instead, and make that the primary information source while this thread remains for up to date discussion.

Does it matter which game I rip the animals from? I only have HMDS: Cute at the moment, and that's what I've been using :P

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Does it matter which game I rip the animals from? I only have HMDS: Cute at the moment, and that's what I've been using :P
I suppose it's not terribly important, but matching would be ideal. One option is to rip from HM:DS and then devamp the sprites like I did for various items from HM:FoMT and HM:64. I've basically been using the SNES sprites because they're so simple and easy to work with, but devamping into that style is fairly straightforward I've found.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
Is this project considered dead in terms of development, or are you on a very long hiatus? Would very much like to see it active!

Zeak6464

Zeak #3205 - Discord
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Is this project considered dead in terms of development, or are you on a very long hiatus? Would very much like to see it active!

it's a tool kit like essentials ..... so it's not dead at all , just not many people use it.. that is all

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
I haven't been doing any development on this for quite some time. The functionality is pretty solid as-is so filling in a few gaps and building out a couple of other key features should finish it up.

I don't currently have the time to support it, nor the motivation, but if anyone wants to pick it up I may be willing to give some pointers as needed.

Since I don't plan to officially support this anymore, I suggest posting questions regarding missing functionality and as time permits I'll try to offer assistance on how to make it happen. Just be willing to do the coding yourself, and I'll get you moving in the right direction. You can already almost build a complete game with this as-is, so don't be afraid to try it. Anything missing can be finished with some fairly straightforward code, or even just plain old eventing.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Oct 24, 2017
Sorry for over two year necro-posting, but honestly, this is the ONLY quality HM style crop system I've found online for RMXP. Everyone wants to do VX or MV these days. So, here's hoping in the permanency of computers!

I am somewhat familiar with scripting and am prepared to make the needed changes myself, but I'm not sure what to change where. I wanted to do a game more like a standard RMXP adventure game with farming as a major feature, but not the central focus. The key things I need to change are:
1. I need the player to be able to access the standard equipment screen for weapons, spells, etc.
2. I want to play with the timer, potentially even shutting it off, or giving the player the option to shut it off for "easy mode."
3. If possible, I want to link standard RMXP items to your item scripts so the player only needs the main menu. Otherwise, I would need the rucksack AND the regular menu to both be accessible.

Congrats on being the only person in all of the internet to make this fantastic system. I hope you can point me in the right direction. If not, thanks for the framework to work with! Good luck and good hunting.

Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2017
Very nice tool. I want also to ask you if it is possible to add Rune Factory like battle system and monsters to make it more combatible for creating rune factory games?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Sorry for over two year necro-posting, but honestly, this is the ONLY quality HM style crop system I've found online for RMXP. Everyone wants to do VX or MV these days. So, here's hoping in the permanency of computers!

I am somewhat familiar with scripting and am prepared to make the needed changes myself, but I'm not sure what to change where. I wanted to do a game more like a standard RMXP adventure game with farming as a major feature, but not the central focus. The key things I need to change are:
1. I need the player to be able to access the standard equipment screen for weapons, spells, etc.
2. I want to play with the timer, potentially even shutting it off, or giving the player the option to shut it off for "easy mode."
3. If possible, I want to link standard RMXP items to your item scripts so the player only needs the main menu. Otherwise, I would need the rucksack AND the regular menu to both be accessible.

Congrats on being the only person in all of the internet to make this fantastic system. I hope you can point me in the right direction. If not, thanks for the framework to work with! Good luck and good hunting.
I appreciate the compliments, I did have quite a bit of fun working on this years ago so I'm glad people still find some enjoyment in it.

Unfortunately I don't have RMXP anymore, but I'll try to give what guidance I can from memory.

1. The menus are all entirely custom, built into their own separate classes to prevent any clashing with out of the box features. You should be able to find the input handlers, something along the lines of Input.trigger?(Input::X) (the actual button may be different, I don't recall), to ultimately find where the menu is called. I tried to use intuitive names, so it should have the word menu in the script call when you find the correct input handler via searching the code base.

From here, you should be able to just replace the call to my custom menu with a call to the standard menu. Something like $scene = Scene_Menu.new() I think. You can find the exact commands in a vanilla RMXP project.

2. I think there is a Time and Date class or something similar I created, likely near the top of the custom class list, which handles the time increments. There's a simple += somewhere in the game loop that adds to the current time. You can wrap that in an if statement that uses a global switch which can be toggled in an event or via code. If the switch is set (say your own "Easy Mode" switch), skip that line. Else, increment the timer like normal. This will impact seasons though, but if you aren't interested in seasonal tilemap switching then that won't be a problem.

3. This will require quite a bit of customization to make work. I should have utilized the standard Item features in RMXP for some of this, but since I did everything custom it will probably be a lot easier to keep using the custom functionality. You can re-implement all of the items using standard RMXP features if you want, but that will require changes to many scripts to get things like tools, seed bags, consumables, etc to work again. I would need to do a lot of digging to be able to help much here unfortunately.

Very nice tool. I want also to ask you if it is possible to add Rune Factory like battle system and monsters to make it more combatible for creating rune factory games?
I took care to impact as little of the standard functionality as possible. So yes, you should be able to import pretty much any battle system out there with few to no compatibility issues. I didn't create anything combat or monster related so it should work the same as in a vanilla RMXP project barring unlikely name conflicts. Other systems will likely use standard menu screens or their own designs though so it likely will not look 100% consistent without some customization on your part.

Back