• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen An Ultimate Fighting Machine returns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I've briefly asked about this on the chat, however, I want to bring this to full light, and make a thread about specifically Mewtwo in X&Y. There are threads about speculations about past legendaries, but, this thread is not about if it will be in the pokedex, nor if it will be catchable, or if we should see it in the wild, but, if this particular pokemon will play a specific role in X&Y. Why Mewtwo? Well, there's an interesting theory about Mewtwo that can play specifically in X&Y:

With the announcement of Mewtwo being the secret Movie 16 star, I kinda wonder what this may mean for the games. Even though it's unlikely, it might mean something. Previous generations were heavily promoted by the movies leading up to their release, but in this case the stars of the main movie (as opposed to the short) aren't new species. While Genesect was due for a movie role, Mewtwo already has a movie and a special (technically two specials) under its belt. Why would the Pokémon Company want the movie to be focused on Mewtwo unless it were relevant to the upcoming games?

Mewtwo's name has already been brought up in the context of X and Y due to the probable Genetics theme. But some fans seem to have dismissed that theory simply on the basis of Mewtwo (and Mew and Deoxys for that matter) being old news. But if Mewtwo is good enough for the movie, why would it seem out of place in the games? If anything, there should be some old legendaries in the games so that Game Freak don't have to go overboard with new legendaries just to fill some quota of sidequests. A lot of existing legendaries have untapped potential story-wise, and Mewtwo and Mew are among the prime examples.

While a movie-related download could work, Mewtwo has already been distributed in the current generation. It would be far better if it were catchable in X and Y and had some connection to the main story. Not only could Mewtwo's real origin story be finally told in full, but I could also see a connection to the new bonding feature. Dr. Fuji may have created Mewtwo solely for battling, but Mr. Fuji clearly doesn't see Pokémon that way. No doubt Mr. Fuji would want Mewtwo to finally find a trainer that could manage to open its heart and earn its trust.

On another note, the theory about Mew being the ancestor of (most) Pokémon could finally be touched upon. I wouldn't be surprised if Mew were connected to Xerneas and Yveltal. I mean, I personally think Mewtwo and Mew can have the potential of making a return with the theme of genetics. I mean, in the game, what do we actually know about Mewtwo other than it was man-made from Mew's genes, and that it was designed to be the ultimate fighting machine? I mean, aside from the anime, I think that maybe they can show more of Mewtwo's own personal feelings and own willpower.

Well, to now get to the actual point of this thread, do you think Mewtwo could play a greater role in the representation of the games and make Mewtwo something essential in the games? Could Mewtwo possibly play a significant role if there is a theme of genetics? Would Mewtwo influence the Gen 6's legendary pokemon in some way? Will Mew make a brief scene as well?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Since the movie itself isn't made to promote Generation 6, I don't think Mewtwo being in it has any significance. Perhaps Mewtwo is just pissed off since humans started experimenting on Pokemon again (Genesect) Knowing the pain it brought him, he may just be there to put a stop to their plans.

I don't see anything about Mew being added in either. They would have added more to the movie captions if they intended to add a small segment about Mew.

Mewtwo is just popular enough to warrant multiple movies and has a similar background to Genesect.

Mew also has two movies, sharing the spot light with Mewtwo and a second Movie with Lucario, which was a promotion for Generation 4. Though Mew played no important roles in Generation 4.

The only Legendry Pokemon that I remember having a Movie that tied in with pre-release previews of new Generation Pokemon were the Legendary Beasts and Celebi (who also has 2 movies centered around it and anime cameo episodes) in the Zoroark movie. While none of them were available in Generation 5, they had specially released downloads that unlocked special events in the new games. This again was because of direct relation to promoting Gen 5.

The Genesect Movie doesn't Promote Gen 6 as far as we've been shown.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I agree to what XanderO said because Genesect was somewhat made the same way as Mewtwo it might just be there to help Genesect out.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hm... even though Mewtwo fits into the chromosomes theme of Pokémon X and Y, I don't really see it becoming essential to the storyline in the game. I'm probably just going to speculate that Mewtwo will just be given away as an event Pokémon alongside Genesect for the Genesect movie. Mewtwo could actually unlock some kind of secret in the game if you have it with you, like how the 3 legendary beasts allowed you to capture Zoroark in Black and White. This could be the same sort of thing happening all over again except with a totally new Pokémon.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Just like i've just said before in chit-chat thread, Mwetwo can return, but ini post-game story not within the main storyline themselves. Let the new legendaries have their own showtime because certailny Mewtwo will steal it if he did appear.

If Mewtwo would appear, I demand Red make an appearance too :cer_shifty:

Guy

just a guy
Years
As XanderO put it, the upcoming movie has so far been to further promote Gen V and its final Pokémon, Genesect. Mewtwo making an appearance will less than likely have anything to do with the main plotline of X and Y.

Not to deter from the discussion of the games, but the anime was supposed to begin this large feud between Team Rocket and Team Plasma earlier on in the season. Due to the tragedy that had struck Japan during that time, however, the episodes that were supposed to begin that feud never aired and future plotlines were probably altered. Considering how Genesect and Mewtwo share a commonality with one another, bringing in Mewtwo just make logical sense. It not only going to make up for the loss of the Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma rivalry that never happened, but it's another way to sell the movie seeing as Mewtwo is generally loved by a larger percentage of the fanbase.

They could potentially hold a movie event for Mewtwo that can later be transferred to X and Y to unlock an in-game event, but unless Mewtwo doesn't have any sort of connection with a new Pokémon in X and Y, I don't see the basis for creating one. Maybe Mewtwo can be found post-game somewhere in the region, but the main plotline of the new games shouldn't have to center around Mewtwo or Mew despite their genetic back story.

This is the time for the newer Pokémon to receive the attention they deserve, which isn't going to happen if we have older generation Pokémon available on top of having the main storyline center around one of Pokémon's older and bigger legendary icons.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I see it as a chance for the anime to show off Mewtwo's signature move which it just gained this generation (V), leaving it as one of the only things yet shown.
If Mewtwo were to appear in the new games than they should make Deoxys, Mew, and GENEsct return too, it'll only be fair... though if they did that Sinnoh and Johto would lack returning legends...oh wait Arceus should show up to with divine retribution at hand. I don't think it'll happen.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I don't think that Mewtwo would be essential to the games' storyline, but I actually wouldn't mind clarification on the creation of Mewtwo as a sort of side-story in the games (and going off the Japanese logos, it's not like that's impossible). The Cinnabar Journals, Mew, and even Mewtwo weren't major components of even gen 1's storyline--they were just a side-quest, a few puzzle pieces that didn't create the whole picture, but just enough for you to get the general idea.

Now I know that the Genesect/Mewtwo movie isn't meant to "advertise" for gen 6, but I still don't see why Mewtwo (and by that extent, Mew) can't be part of a side-quest in X and Y. Zoroark+The Crown Beasts and Zorua+Celebi was handled simply but nicely in BW, and I would honestly love for more in-depth events such as the ones in gen 4, including the Sinjoh Ruins and the battle with Giovanni. Mewtwo would be a great opportunity for that, offering older fans a chance to see a long-time favorite and finally uncover the mystery behind its creation, and giving the new fans an opportunity to catch/utilize the gen 1 Pokémon.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I really don't see Mewtwo being significant in the games at all. I think it just shares a common background with Genesect, and therefore it making an appearance made sense in the context of the movie. I talk it up to coincidence when it comes to the timing of the movie being released. I don't see any event getting unlocked when transferring it over to X/Y when they come out.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
As I said in the general thread, I expect something from it. My expectations range from an in-game event lending some background to the canon to some kind of forme for it.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Unlike the Beast and Zoroark movie, Mewtwo and the Genesect movie has absolutely nothing to do with Pokemon X and Pokemon Y. Genesect's movie is in Unova and is the final part to the Unova Legends. Since they are both Gen 5 related, there is little to do with future games. The Beast were in a Gen 5 Movie related to a Gen 5 Pokemon and were used to get that Gen 5 Pokemon. Mewtwo doesn't unlock Genesect as we've already had the event for Genesect.

They didn't even drop a secret like they did when they revealed Keldeo in the Kyurem Movie. Both Kyurem and Keldeo when Keldeo was finally shown to be part said there was some secrets being revealed. Mewtwo didn't show that. We just have a specific title with many possible meanings.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
It would be awesome to bring back some old legendary pokemon such as Mewtwo, Mew, even Jirachi. There is too many legendary pokemon as it is, there would be no problem just bringing back the old legendary pokemon back into the game

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
It would be awesome to bring back some old legendary pokemon such as Mewtwo, Mew, even Jirachi. There is too many legendary pokemon as it is, there would be no problem just bringing back the old legendary pokemon back into the game
Well... Mewtwo will be in Genesect Movie, Jirachi will have episode in the upcoming episodes of anime...
I think there might be events including them or they will be put into the game directly.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Well... Mewtwo will be in Genesect Movie, Jirachi will have episode in the upcoming episodes of anime...
I think there might be events including them or they will be put into the game directly.

Neither of those points have anything to do with X and Y though. The Movie and Anime are both Gen 5 related so if we get more download events its Gen 5 downloads.

Guy

just a guy
Years
With increasing speculation about Mewtwo possibly having not just one, but maybe two forms, I'm beginning to think that Mewtwo may actually have some relevance in X/Y. Of course, that's assuming Mewtwo is even given a new form at all. If it were to have some importance in the game though, then I don't see it being anything more or near what the Arceus in-game event was like in HG/SS.

Years
I felt that the focus on Mewtwo in Gen V with the new signature move and it's presence in the TGC was wide, I even half expected them to make Pokemon Purple... now if Mewtwo get's new formes it's focus will be even greater, maybe it'll even get more of a focus than in generation 1 within these games...

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
These are all the things that happened pertaining to Mewtwo from BW's release to now:

-Given a signature move: Psystrike
-Appearing in the Genesect movie (unsure if he's the same one from the first movie)
-Wi-Fi event
-Possible second form leak

Yeah, with so much focus on Mewtwo, I feel he may make a return. If that picture of the new form is true, it would be even more of a reason to include him in X/Y, especially since he finally has a signature move. Maybe if you take the Mewtwo received from the movie preorder event to some area in the game, you can unlock it or something like that.

But that's just my thoughts. xD

Years
Or maybe the Genesect event could activate a Mewtwo event where it attacks us like when we took the Shiny beasts to the Losthorn forest and were attacked by Zoroark.

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
I heard a rumor somewhere that the Berserk Gene from G/S/C could make a comeback, which I guess would explain Mewtwo's supposed new forme, and perhaps even explain why the Berserk Gene wasn't in HG/SS.

Here's my theory, in the situation that the new forme is legit: in G/S/C, the Berserk Gene was a consumable item that could be found in Cerulean Cave that raised the user's Attack power. If the Berserk Gene were to make a comeback, then that would lead me to believe that the Berserk Gene has been repurposed to be a forme-changing item like the Reveal Glass or the DNA Splicers in BW2, and that Mewtwo's new forme is a berserk forme that's more Attack-focused than its base forme. Perhaps with X and Y, we'll get more of a backstory behind the Berserk Gene as a sort of callback to Gold and Silver.

I for one think the prospect of Gen I and II Pokemon getting new formes is great; it's been something I've been wondering about since the release of Gen V, since the last three generations have had at least one Pokemon with an alternate forme, and yet no Pokemon from Gen I and II has ever had one.

[EDIT] ...Why did I think you could go to Cerulean Cave in GSC?? I think HG/SS was messing with my memory or something. XD

Last edited:

Years
I do feel like this would be a good moment to have the item appear again as it was missing in gen IV's gen II remakes. However what could cause the second forme as it's believed that it has two new forms. Unless we get a choice of which forme to turn it into using one item :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back