• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
Heart Gold/Soul Silver. Those games were so well made! Platinum would probably come second. Seriously though I really loves HG/SS. The walking Pokémon, the graphics; everything was just amazing to me. Right now I'm doing a Badge Quest on it n_n

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Well, if you're into really well done remakes, I suggest HG/SS. The 4th Gen Johto remakes were pulled off in an amazing way, while Pokemon Platinum has a well crafted story and is vastly superior to D/P, so I'd pick it too.

In my opinion though, get Platinum. It's the Sinnoh Region at its best, and it doesn't have the issues that were associated with Diamond and Pearl.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Personally, I loved HeartGold and SoulSilver. GSC were one of my most favorites, and being able to play them again with better graphics and sound were… well, fantastic, and I enjoyed each and every minute. Aside from these two, Platinum's pretty good, too. Diamond and Pearl are okay, but you'd be better off getting yourself Plat, though, since it's more advanced in terms of features and whatnot. =P

Years
DPPt weren't bad by any means, but I feel like HGSS wins this debate hands down. I didn't care for a lot of the new Pokemon released in Sinnoh, and SoulSilver brought back my second favorite region in Johto, so there's a bit of a bias, but I simply genuinely enjoyed playing the Johto remakes far more than DPPt. Platinum's second best, due in large part to The Distortion World and other additions.

Universe

all-consuming
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
I am at a complete tie between SoulSilver and Platinum to be quite frank.

Platinum gave me so much enjoyment. And yet... so much irritation.
Breaking your chain when you get around 40 is probably the most pissed off you'll ever be, and I did that a thousand times over. I also spent well over an hour with most chains (at 40) running around, resetting the radar, running around, etc. until the shiny patch came up. Sometimes I'd ride that chain out for as long as I could before I either got sick of it, or accidentally broke it, catching as many shinies as possible with one chain.

But I also adored it's storyline and the Reverse World a huge deal. They were so well-done and amazing to me that I went through the game like 3 different times just to see it all again. I played that post-story like no other too. Battle Tower all day! >:3

SoulSilver has that nostalgic factor that's hard to beat. It's graphics are lovely and bright, the follow feature is adorable, and I found a ton of shiny Pokemon throughout my playthrough. I learned a trick regarding Secret IDs and Trainer IDs specifically for HGSS that kinda cranked up my shiny encounters. (Look it up if you want, you should find some info on what I'm talking about. Too lazy to explain right now. It might be some form of RNG manipulation, actually.)

My entire team ended up shiny by the end and it was definitely one of my most memorable playthroughs of all time. Also the Pokeathlon was so fun. :D

So ya know what? I just won't choose between them. They're both amazing and I'll pick them up any day to play again.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 9, 2014
Anyone still playing HG/SS?

since i got soulsilver ive been trying to get all my favorites together from the 1st and 3rd gen together. that means i restarted my ruby numerous times and i bought fire red to help out as well. so lately in completing ruby again i stumbled across i problem with obtaining a certain pokemon. im trying to get a snorunt but the problem is, my games battery ran itself dry so clock based events wont occur. and idk if the trading with someone else will work due to the wifi server being shut down for 4th and 5th gen. any advice from anyone?

Years
I will be playing it in few months :)

Idk if it would help, but you can try restarting a game every time you get to the cave, but you would have to go through the game every time again. And its not for sure, Im just guessing.

You can trade locally. I have the same problem, so I asked my niece to get me several eggs of all the Pokemon I need so he can trade it to me once we meet.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 30, 2016
PokeTransporter from HG/SS?

Question about PokeTransporter:

I know the DS server was shut down a few weeks ago, and before I buy HG or SS I have a question:

I have a 2DS, so could I still use PokeTransporter and Bank to transport HG/SS Pokemon to Black 2 or White 2, and THEN to X or Y? Do you need two 3DS units, or can you just use one? Is it even possible?

Also, my cousin has a regular DS that she'd let me use (if that factors into the answer anywhere).

Any help would be appreciated.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
You don't need internet to transfer from HG/SS to B2/W2, that transferring feature works 100% offline. You need two consoles, between the DS, the 3DS and the 2DS, any two of those will do.

Now, when it comes to transferring from B2/W2 to X/Y, you'll need a 3DS or a 2DS and an internet connection. Pokémon Bank is a 3DS app, so it doesn't use the DS servers.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 30, 2016
Thanks a whole lot, SaniOKh!

I never got to finish playing Crystal, and I really want a Raikou but doubt I'll be able to trade for one anytime soon. (Plus the games look like lots of fun!)

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Since clock-based events don't work for you, I'm not really sure how you'd be able to obtain Snorunt. :( You could trying getting yourself an ActionReplay from Amazon, but that might wind up spoiling your fun.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jun 7, 2014
Trading question

I want to trade my Flygon from SS to Diamond to get some contests ribbons, but I was wondering if I trade it to Diamond and trade it back to SS will it still remember and love me/be really happy?

Last edited:

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Flygon's friendship/happiness goes down to 70 when you trade it to another person/game, so I hope you're prepared for that. To answer your question, I guess no, it won't be really happy. You could always negate that with a few items like the Protein and Calcium, etc, or by taking your Flygon to Pallet Town to see Daisy in SS, or to Veilstone City to get a massage in Diamond. Alternatively you could give it a Soothe Bell, to make raising its happiness a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back