• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your first anime

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
What was your first anime? Why did you choose to watch it? Did it lead to you watch more/other anime or did it put you off entirely?

For me it was the Pokémon anime, but I never really saw that as being any different to English cartoons so the first thing I'd count would be The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya a couple years back. I chose to watch it after stumbling across the God Knows AMV and falling in love with the song, plus Nagato and Suzumiya's characters from the video looked very interesting/quirky, so after searching around and eventually asking a friend where it came from I found the anime and watched the first episode. Once the first episode had finished, it suddenly clicked to me why people watch this stuff and that it's not just a children's cartoon like I expected, so I watched the whole series in the space of two days and then continued on to countless more anime. I'm sure it would've happened sooner or later with all the anime lovers on PC, but this is what started off my love.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Going along the same path, I watched Sailor Moon and Pokemon but just thought they were regular English cartoons since they were mixed in with such. The first anime that I watched that didn't air on a cartoon channel was actually a movie: End of Evangelion. Found it on the internet when I was around 10, watched it, didn't understand it, saw Asuka's scene, and got emotionally scarred for the rest of my life.

If we repress EoE like I've been trying to for the past 10 years, then my actual first anime was Alien Nine. I read the manga and watched it at my cousin's house when I was maybe 11 or 12 and then completely forgot about it (and anime in general) until about two or three years ago when I realized that I have a lot of free time that doesn't overlap with the free time of my friends. One day in 2010 I stayed up until about 4 in the morning when I found a clip of episode 6 of Deadman Wonderland on Youtube and I thought it was the most awesome thing I've ever seen so I marathoned it and decided to watch more anime.

Then I fell asleep and the next two years were all one big dream, during which I watched way more anime than I should have.

Years
Probably either Pokemon, Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura.

I was very young at the time so I even had no idea they were anime until years later.

dcjboi

With Quiet Courage
Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
Practically all anime that were on Toonami, I think my first was either Dragon Ball, Pokemon or Yu Yu Hakusho. I didn't know that they were anime either until about '06.

When I was aware of the actual concept of anime, I think you could say that I watched either Clannad, Elfen Lied or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I watched the first episodes of both in one day so I wouldn't know....

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
My first anime was the Pokemon anime. Obviously at the time I didn't know it was anime, but still. The first anime I watched where I was aware that it was an anime was Naruto, when it was airing on Cartoon Networks Toonami. Naruto was pretty much my gateway to the world of anime because after becoming a fan of Naruto, I wanted to see what other anime were around that was like it.

SkullKing

Nope
Years
As everyone else, my first was Pokemon, but I had no idea that was anime. My first anime that I knew what I was watching was Naruto, the original that was on Cartoon Network. Now I love tons of anime, haha.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
My first anime was Inuyasha, and it was because when I was younger, Cartoon Network had turned into Adult Swim around 10PM, and I had no idea what Adult Swim was at the time. This show called Sealab 2121, or whatever it was, was on and it was making me laugh, but it had ended just a couple of minutes after I tuned to it. Inuyasha came on right after, and even though it seemed kind of violent and... well, odd, for a cartoon (since I didn't know it was called an anime at that time) it was still pretty cool.

After that, I've always been into anime.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
My first ones were probably Pokemon, Digimon or Monster Ranchers.

I really loved Monster Ranchers... I't sthe only one I never really continued watching, growing up. I might watch it again :)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Sailor Moon was like the only thing on weekday mornings as little kid. So, I'd catch about 10 minutes of that as I got ready for school. Never actually liked watching it though. Thought it looked weird (I still think anime looks weird XD)

Pokemon was the first one I actively watched for a while. And then that was it. Nothing really after that

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Probably either Pokemon, Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura.

I was very young at the time so I even had no idea they were anime until years later.
Probably the same for me. Dragonball Z was also something I remember watching. Of course, there were a few others like Digimon, and other Saturday morning anime that used to air.

The first anime I watched knowing it was anime was Fruits Basket.

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
The first anime I watched knowing it was anime was Fruits Basket.

^See, points like that are the best! You may be watching Sailor Moon, but you have no idea it's classified as an anime.

For me, I had watched Pokemon and DBZ when I was young. But the first anime I watched- the first one where I went, "Okay, I'm legitimatly interested in this anime-stuff" was Lucky Star.
And I'm grateful for that, because looking back on it, Lucky Star- I feel is a wonderful anime.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
First seen: Tenchi Muyo!
First watched regularly: Dragonball Z
First watched 'as anime': Elfen Lied

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
Yu-Yu Hakusho and Dragonball Z took my anime virginity. They just happened to air when I was awake, and I enjoyed them. Kurama was my first cartoon crush.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Dragonball Z

But I had no idea it was anime at the time.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Pokemon, like many others, was the first anime I ever saw - but the first one I watched with the knowledge that it was an anime was Dragon Ball Z.

dyenguard

Burst of Flame!
Years
Sailor Moon was the first anime I laid eyes on, but I later watched Naruto (and quit watching Naruto) as the first dedicated anime. To be honest, I started out on manga, as I never had a computer to use until a few years ago.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Definitely Yu-Gi-Oh!. I watched that every night when I was like 4 years old on Toonami, and often times the old Orange Islands League Pokémon anime would either precede it or follow it. I hated Pokémon until the Advanced Generation came out, which I fell in love with then <3.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
The first anime I watched was Nekketsu Saikyo Gosaurer, if I could remember. (Back then I was about 5 years old or younger). I saw this anime without knowing its name until few years ago.

Last edited:
Back