• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Well, that's odd. If you have a 6IV + 5IV parents and you're using the Destiny Knot, then it's very strange that all of them are missing Sp. Def. Check the exact odds for every combination with http://destinyknot.tk. Here's an excerpt for the particular spread you're doing: Breeding parents 31/31/31/31/31/31 and 31/31/31/31/x/31 will produce a 31/x/31/31/31/31 Pokemon 9.8958% of the time or 1 out of every 10.1053 eggs! So yeah. Are you sure the 6IV parent actually has 6IVs? Just save, and then pull them out of the daycare to check with the judge, and then just exit without saving if you don't want to lose egg moves or something.

Oh no, I'm very sure, it's a Ditto (that I traded for my shiny Metagross and Shiny Talonflame!) and it is the main one I use for all my other pokemon (from Budew up to Snorlax, in regards to the pokedex list of pokemon I am breeding and working my way down the list in reverse order) and I did just run it's stats (Adamant 300, 145, 132, 118, 132, 132 with 252Evs in HP) through an IV calculator (both when I first got it and just now to be sure) and it's definitely an all 31 IV Ditto so that parent isn't the problem. And as I am running through a calculator, I am getting the exact numbers and sometimes the missing SP Def is from the parent Flabebe, but sometimes it's just some random number, but it's always that stat that's missing. If the Ditto had a Calm nature I would consider swapping the Destiny Knot and Everstone between them, but it's Adamant so that won't help unfortunately. I'm kinda losing my mind at the moment to be honest, I'm SO close and it just will not work. A few days ago I had a 3 IV Pancham and the Ditto in daycare and within the first 5 Pancham babies I had lucked out and got the exact 5IV spread I was wanting, but this, this is the bane of my breeding existence!

This. It's meant for preserving this for future generations, so you can just import to Gen. VII from Bank in the future. Or something.

What remains to be seen is if you can go to VII, then back to VI. I doubt it will work like that.

I think they may be concerned that if they don't have a credit card (or they don't have access to someone with a credit card that will let them use it) they can't use it, but I know that you can pay for it using the eShop gift cards (just go into a game store, buy the card, put it on your account and voila, you can get Pokebank) so I think that might be the main thing that is turning people off of getting Pokebank. But if it was a little more obvious that there are other ways of paying for it, people might be more willing to get it.

Last edited:

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Oh no, I'm very sure, it's a Ditto (that I traded for my shiny Metagross and Shiny Talonflame!) and it is the main one I use for all my other pokemon (from Budew up to Snorlax, in regards to the pokedex list of pokemon I am breeding and working my way down the list in reverse order) and I did just run it's stats (Adamant 300, 145, 132, 118, 132, 132 with 252Evs in HP) through an IV calculator (both when I first got it and just now to be sure) and it's definitely an all 31 IV Ditto so that parent isn't the problem. And as I am running through a calculator, I am getting the exact numbers and sometimes the missing SP Def is from the parent Flabebe, but sometimes it's just some random number, but it's always that stat that's missing. If the Ditto had a Calm nature I would consider swapping the Destiny Knot and Everstone between them, but it's Adamant so that won't help unfortunately. I'm kinda losing my mind at the moment to be honest, I'm SO close and it just will not work. A few days ago I had a 3 IV Pancham and the Ditto in daycare and within the first 5 Pancham babies I had lucked out and got the exact 5IV spread I was wanting, but this, this is the bane of my breeding existence!

While it is true that more than half (~58%) of the babies will be missing Sp. Def., breeding 50 Flabebe that are all missing that one is a bit weird. My only suggestion would be also visiting the judge in Kiloude to check some of the babies' IVs, since Flabebe is a gen 6 Pokemon, maybe the calculator has some issues?

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
While it is true that more than half (~58%) of the babies will be missing Sp. Def., breeding 50 Flabebe that are all missing that one is a bit weird. My only suggestion would be also visiting the judge in Kiloude to check some of the babies' IVs, since Flabebe is a gen 6 Pokemon, maybe the calculator has some issues?

Just as an update after SIXTY SIX pokemon, I FINALLY got a batch that had a few pokemon that WERE NOT missing SP Def (although 1 in that batch still was), so I immediately switched it out and the third egg I hatched from the second Flabebe gave me the spread I have been losing my mind trying to get (31/x/31/31/31/31) so I ofcourse renamed that original Flabebe "Cursed" and if anyone wants it to see if it is indeed cursed, they're welcome to it, lol! It took forever but I finally got the IVs I have been trying to get

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2017
Just as an update after SIXTY SIX pokemon, I FINALLY got a batch that had a few pokemon that WERE NOT missing SP Def (although 1 in that batch still was), so I immediately switched it out and the third egg I hatched from the second Flabebe gave me the spread I have been losing my mind trying to get (31/x/31/31/31/31) so I ofcourse renamed that original Flabebe "Cursed" and if anyone wants it to see if it is indeed cursed, they're welcome to it, lol! It took forever but I finally got the IVs I have been trying to get
Great! The thing about it is that it's up to chance, but that means it's ultimately up to the RNG which is not truly random. It was just chance that the games calculations repeatedly resulted in -SpDef, just like how you have a chance of breeding all of one gender for many batches on a Pokémon because while the odds are against it, the chance is still there every time you do a new batch.

Also, should I try to breed for a Shiny Froakie? I don't have the Shiny Charm yet but it would be Masuda Method. I don't think it's worth it because of the extremely low chance.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Great! The thing about it is that it's up to chance, but that means it's ultimately up to the RNG which is not truly random. It was just chance that the games calculations repeatedly resulted in -SpDef, just like how you have a chance of breeding all of one gender for many batches on a Pokémon because while the odds are against it, the chance is still there every time you do a new batch.

Also, should I try to breed for a Shiny Froakie? I don't have the Shiny Charm yet but it would be Masuda Method. I don't think it's worth it because of the extremely low chance.

I think you should breed for the shiny Froakie (it's black! Come on! :D ) however, considering how long it takes just to get the correct IVs sometimes I would say get the Shiny Charm first before you try.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
My friend would like to gift me her Charizardite Y before restarting her game; If she does that, will she still get another Charizardite Y in her restarted new journey?

I told her yes, but we'd need a confirmed answer.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
My friend would like to gift me her Charizardite Y before restarting her game; If she does that, will she still get another Charizardite Y in her restarted new journey?

I told her yes, but we'd need a confirmed answer.

You're right; your sister can get a new Charizardite Y in her restarted game. Mega Stones are generally obtained once per save file, not once per game cartridge.

county1883

dragon master
Years
I was just wondering why sometimes the shapes for perfect IVs (I think that's what there for anyway ) show up and sometimes they don't
Can someone explain them

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
I was just wondering why sometimes the shapes for perfect IVs (I think that's what there for anyway ) show up and sometimes they don't
Can someone explain them

They're not automatic, the orignal user of them places the marks themselves (either by going into the status summary and tapping each icon or by selecting them in the PC and then selecting "Markings") they're not technically the markings for perfect IVs, they're simply random shapes that people can use to categorize their pokemon any way they want, they've just happened to have been used to note stats by the online community. You can mark/unmark them yourself if you want as well.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Can someone explain them

You mean the six markings (circle, heart, start etc)? Those are not automatic, you can highlight/un-highlight whichever you want by simply tapping them. Some breeders use them to mark perfect IVs, so that's why you've been seeing Pokemon (from Wonder Trade most likely) that have them highlighted. But you can just use them for whatever you want. Before I started breeding in generation 6, I used to use them to mark stuff like favorites (heart), hidden abilities (star), and stuff like that.

[EDIT] Greninja'd.

county1883

dragon master
Years
They're not automatic, the orignal user of them places the marks themselves (either by going into the status summary and tapping each icon or by selecting them in the PC and then selecting "Markings") they're not technically the markings for perfect IVs, they're simply random shapes that people can use to categorize their pokemon any way they want, they've just happened to have been used to note stats by the online community. You can mark/unmark them yourself if you want as well.

Thanks
Didn't know u could do that

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
So when breeding, what are teh ratios for abilities being handed down? Specifically I have a pokemon that can have 1 of 2 normal abilties (Ralts with Synchronize or Trace) it was initially bred from a Ralts I got in Wonder Trade that had Telepathy as that Ralts was 6IV but then I got a 5IV with Synchronize which is what I'm using now however most of the offspring have Synchronize SO now that you have the back story, is Synchronize the ability that normally appears more often, or does the ability of the parent appear more often (meaning if I swapped the Ralts with Synchronize with a Ralts with Trace, would the offspring have Trace more often?)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So when breeding, what are teh ratios for abilities being handed down? Specifically I have a pokemon that can have 1 of 2 normal abilties (Ralts with Synchronize or Trace) it was initially bred from a Ralts I got in Wonder Trade that had Telepathy as that Ralts was 6IV but then I got a 5IV with Synchronize which is what I'm using now however most of the offspring have Synchronize SO now that you have the back story, is Synchronize the ability that normally appears more often, or does the ability of the parent appear more often (meaning if I swapped the Ralts with Synchronize with a Ralts with Trace, would the offspring have Trace more often?)

There's an 80% chance of the female parent passing down her regular ability. The other 20% is the other ability. This also applies to males if they're paired with Ditto. In your example, roughly 80% of your Ralts offspring would have Synchronize.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
There's an 80% chance of the female parent passing down her regular ability. The other 20% is the other ability. This also applies to males if they're paired with Ditto. In your example, roughly 80% of your Ralts offspring would have Synchronize.

Okay so then if I did switch abilities, then the new ability (in this example Trace) would be the one that gets passed down 80% of the time? Okay great, thank you for clarifying!

Proteun

Unofficial PokéMusic Composer
Years
I have X since March, and I am grinding for evolutions in the Pokédex a lot in Victory Road. Now I had not encountered a single Shiny in the wild (I bred some, though) until I found a Shiny Geodude in a Horde on Monday. It was a nerve-wrecking experience to catch it, but eventually I succeeded.

The next day, yesterday, I found a Shiny Gurdurr in exactly the same spot. I caught it with one Quick Ball.

The day after that, which is today, I found a Shiny Graveler. In exactly the same spot. I threw a Quick Ball and caught it just as easily as the Gurdurr.

Does anybody know what is happening? Would the Shiny rate increase because I see so many of the same Pokémon or because I catch more, or am I just being extremely lucky? Did anybody experience the same? You won't hear me complaining, though... Tomorrow going for a Druddigon :)

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
I have X since March, and I am grinding for evolutions in the Pokédex a lot in Victory Road. Now I had not encountered a single Shiny in the wild (I bred some, though) until I found a Shiny Geodude in a Horde on Monday. It was a nerve-wrecking experience to catch it, but eventually I succeeded.

The next day, yesterday, I found a Shiny Gurdurr in exactly the same spot. I caught it with one Quick Ball.

The day after that, which is today, I found a Shiny Graveler. In exactly the same spot. I threw a Quick Ball and caught it just as easily as the Gurdurr.

Does anybody know what is happening? Would the Shiny rate increase because I see so many of the same Pokémon or because I catch more, or am I just being extremely lucky? Did anybody experience the same? You won't hear me complaining, though... Tomorrow going for a Druddigon :)

Yes the shiny encounter rate has been increased and it is especially high in horde battles(that's where you encounter geodude and graveller if I am not mistaken).
I havent found a single shiny however.I start to think that my cartridge is defectiveXD

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday

Nah, you just got really lucky is all, though they did make it so you're twice as likely to find a shiny than in past games. Supposedly shiny pokes are easier to find in the Friend Safari. And there's still the old methods like radar chaining and the Masuda Method.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Which is better for Lucario? A Special attacker? a Physical attacker? Mixed? I genuinely can't figure out which would be the best, particularly because it's SP Att is only slightly better than it's attack, but when it mega evolves it's Att becomes slightly better than it's Sp Att so I really can't figure out what to make it and I'm currently breeding one right now so I hope someone has some ideas. thanks!

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Which is better for Lucario? A Special attacker? a Physical attacker? Mixed? I genuinely can't figure out which would be the best, particularly because it's SP Att is only slightly better than it's attack, but when it mega evolves it's Att becomes slightly better than it's Sp Att so I really can't figure out what to make it and I'm currently breeding one right now so I hope someone has some ideas. thanks!
Both physical or special attacker is fine and are equally viable. Mixed is kinda unnecessary because most of its physical and special moves cover the same stuff, and it gets Nasty Plot and Swords Dance to power through most walls. Whether it goes physical or special depends on the rest of the team and/or personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back