• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need help building team synergy

Years
I have been playing competitive since Gen IV, but I stopped playing when Gen V immediately started. About a year ago I started up again, and as a result I have many superb Pokemon, but I lose battles due to not having a team just six good Pokemon, so I was wondering if some members here could assist me in making a great team.

My only rules is no legendaries unfortunately. The friends I play with don't really go by tiers, but only by legendary or not, so if you could please keep that in mind I would thank you. I will use Dream World abilities/moves, but it's preferred that I don't due to having very limited access to them, but if it's really the best bet for my team I'll do it. My team so far is:

407.gif

Roserade @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 SDef
Nature: Calm
-Spikes
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Rest/Synthesis

Roserade was replaced over Probopass for more team synergy, while doing the same job of setting us hazards. Max HP for bulk, with some added Defense, with Calm and 136 EVs to make use of her base 105 SpD. Spikes for the obvious entry hazards, with Giga Drain and Rest/Synthesis for recovery and a bit of STAB damage output, with the same reasoning going towards Sludge Bomb.

350.gif

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe
Nature: Bold
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Dragon Tail

Her HP is nearly maxed out and her defense maxed out to optimize her bulk, with the Calm nature to make use of her naturally high base Special Defense (125).

Scald for STAB, Ice Beam for coverage, with Recover for instant recovery. I put in Dragon Tail to abuse the Spikes that have been placed; it also allows for disabling set-ups such as Dragon Dance, which I encounter allot.

059.gif

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Nature: Adamant
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Bitz
- Close Combat
- Wild Charge

As you can see, I'm not going for bulk here with this set. I just want my Arcanine to sweep the enemy team. I think that Adamant would be preferred over Jolly in this case to maximize his attack, and also because I have priority with Extreme Speed. I think the double recoil with Flare Blitz+ Life Orb is acceptable considering the power I'm getting from it.

I chose Extreme Speed for priority, Flare Blitz for attack, with Close Combat and Wild Charge to cover his weaknesses. I considered Crunch but ultimately went with Close Combat to take out Rock types, with Wild Charge taking care of Water types, although the advantage over steel with Close Combat is redundant with Flare Blitz, I still think I get good coverage.

604.gif

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpD/4 Atk
Nature: Careful
-Wild Charge
-Coil
-Drain Punch
-Dragon Tail

625.gif

Bisharp @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 128 HP/252 Atk/128 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute
- Iron Head / Low Kick

So this set is meant to pull off some speed, retain some bulk for the substitute, and maximize damage output. Substitute for when the opponent starts getting wise to the Sucker Punch, and Swords Dance when I get the chance, with Iron Head for STAB and Low Kick to hit those heavier opponents when Brick Break isn't enough.

429.gif

Mismagius @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Nasty Plot
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power {Fighting}/Thunderbolt
-Substitute

So this is a specially offensive set to cover some team synergy with Bisharp. So I think I'm going to use this set to force switches and get a Substitute on the switch, get a Nasty Plot up, then sweep, obviously getting in some Subs and Nasty Plots as much as possible. I'm going to try to get Hidden Power {Fighting} but I don't really know how to breed for Hidden Power, so unless I find someone that helps me I'll just try a few times until I give up and ultimately go with Thunderbolt if need be.

-Sorry for the lack of images as it doesn't look as professional, but I can't post any links until I have 15 posts or more.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
It's a little hard for the raters here to help you with a coherent team that isn't centered around Gen/Tier specific guidelines, you know? Without that information, it's hard to determine exactly what kind of threats you will be facing and therefore what Pokemon would be best for your team. Anyway, I have a few nit-picky things to add-- depending on your resources, of course.

Milotic likes having Dragon Tail to avoid becoming set-up bait and since you already have SR on Probopass, it's probably the best idea unless you're up against some serious walls. Also, her EVs don't need to be spread between the defenses. A simple 248 HP / 252 Defense / 8 Speed is best so Milotic can outspeed Adamant Aggron.

For Probopass, Volt Switch is probably a better option than Pain Split for you considering 2 out of your 3 Pokemon are weak to Water. It also helps Probopass function as a good defensive pivot. As for its ability, I'd go with Sturdy, there's not too much room for trapping Steel types (in NU). And finally, maxing Probopass's Sp. Defense EVs will no doubt give it more special bulk-- than afterwards you can balance out its defenses with a Bold nature.

You mentioned no legendaries... But what about Pokemon like Raikou or Zapdos, both of which are UU and can help with your Ground weakness?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'll assume this is a Gen V UU team.

Probopass' other ability is Magnet Pull, not Magnetize. It's not a good candidate in UU because of its bad defensive typing. Like Alexial said, just because a legendary is a legendary doesn't mean it's overpowered. Just look at Cobalion for instance; it only has average offenses, but has high Defense and Speed. It also doesn't have a wide offensive movepool.

For a replacement, you could go with Swampert to help with your Ground weakness:
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch/Roar
-Stealth Rock/Toxic
EVs: 240 HP/252 Atk/16 Def
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Torrent

Or you can use Roserade as a hazard setter while adding to team synergy:
-Spikes
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Rest/Synthesis
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 SDef
Ability: Natural Cure

@Alexial: Zapdos and Raikou don't help with his Ground weakness there.

Last edited:
Years
You should definitely keep dragon tail on Milotic if you're using stealth rock.

I like the looks of the probopass but I agree with Alexial that Volt Switch would be better than pain split.

You definitely need an electric type to cover your weakness to water. Eelektross could be an option since it's levitate gives it immunity to the only type super effective against it and it can learn dragon tail to abuse stealth rock.

Personally I also think a Dragon type could be worth your time, or maybe even a decent normal type.

Years
Well the reason I can't use legendaries is because of the crowd I play with. They don't go by tiers, they go by "legendary or not" which is unfortunate, because I do have an understanding of the tiers.

Reading the comments above, I think I might go with Roserade for my lead, as it sounds interesting and I haven't had experience with it yet. For the Roserade, is it preferred to get Toxic Spikes over Spikes, or just Spikes? I normally prefer the Toxic Spikes, but that has always been a personal preference.

As with Milotic, I'm going to use the EV set given and just use a Calm nature due to no EVs being invested in SpD.

Also, I like the idea of an Eelektross with it's levitate ability, so I was thinking of a set like this:

Eelektross @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
-Wild Charge
-Dragon Tail
-Drain Punch/Brick Break
-Crunch/Fire Punch?

The last slot I'm not sure, but I think this could work well for a physical Eelektross. My reasoning for suggesting 252 HP EVs is because of it's base 50 speed, so as long as it's going last, it needs to endure hits. I originally posted a special Eelektross as well, but I think that this set is overall more beneficial to my team. However, I could use a mixed set to optimize both of its high attacking stats and more diverse special movepool.

-I would also like to thank you for responding and helping me out with this team.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well the reason I can't use legendaries is because of the crowd I play with. They don't go by tiers, they go by "legendary or not" which is unfortunate, because I do have an understanding of the tiers.

Reading the comments above, I think I might go with Roserade for my lead, as it sounds interesting and I haven't had experience with it yet. For the Roserade, is it preferred to get Toxic Spikes over Spikes, or just Spikes? I normally prefer the Toxic Spikes, but that has always been a personal preference.

Also, I like the idea of an Eelektross with it's levitate ability, so I was thinking of a set like this:

Eelektross @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
-Wild Charge
-Dragon Tail
-Drain Punch/Brick Break
-Crunch/Fire Punch?

The last slot I'm not sure, but I think this could work well for a physical Eelektross. My reasoning for suggesting 252 HP EVs is because of it's base 50 speed, so as long as it's going last, it needs to endure hits.

However, I could also go for a special attacking Eelektross and give it Life Orb/Choice Specs.

Eelektross @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Def
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Flamethrower
-Grass Knot/Giga Drain

I think that this set would work as well, but I think that the physical set would do better for my team, especially with the Dragon Tail. The EVs are the same in both sets for the reason mentioned above, although I'm not sure that's even the best route to go. Also, having Eelektross as a physical attacker would sort of even out what I have now (Roserade/Milotic being specially offensive, Arcanine/Eelektross being physically offensive)

I've been using physical Eelektross on the ladder over the last few days, and Coil has been amazing (so Wild Charge/Dragon Tail/Drain Punch/Coil), by the time the opponent realises what you're doing you actually have a few boosts up and generally enough needed to attack any opponent. tbh you don't even really need Wild Charge that much if you have just Drain Punch/Dragon Tail with Coil, but ya. So yeah, kind of recommending you to go with Coil there. n_n

As for Roserade, it kinda depends on whether your opponent has a poison type or not. Spikes generally depends on whether they have Rapid Spin, which isn't something every team has, whereas in a general overall play, poison types aren't that unlikely, so I'd probably go for Spikes instead.

Years

I've been using physical Eelektross on the ladder over the last few days, and Coil has been amazing (so Wild Charge/Dragon Tail/Drain Punch/Coil), by the time the opponent realises what you're doing you actually have a few boosts up and generally enough needed to attack any opponent. tbh you don't even really need Wild Charge that much if you have just Drain Punch/Dragon Tail with Coil, but ya. So yeah, kind of recommending you to go with Coil there. n_n

As for Roserade, it kinda depends on whether your opponent has a poison type or not. Spikes generally depends on whether they have Rapid Spin, which isn't something every team has, whereas in a general overall play, poison types aren't that unlikely, so I'd probably go for Spikes instead.
That's helpful, thanks! Do you reccommend the EVs I suggested, or do you use a different set of EVs? (Eelektross)

And thank you, I'll stick with Spikes.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
That's helpful, thanks! Do you reccommend the EVs I suggested, or do you use a different set of EVs? (Eelektross)

And thank you, I'll stick with Spikes.

It's recommended to have 252 HP/252 SDe, buuut I use 252 def/sdef, and that seems to work fine (in other words it's up to you, probably better off to go with what's recommended though, this just seems to work for me lool). The attack EVs aren't really needed because Coil boosts its attack anyways to high levels, given you have enough bulk, which you do.

Years

It's recommended to have 252 HP/252 SDe, buuut I use 252 def/sdef, and that seems to work fine (in other words it's up to you, probably better off to go with what's recommended though, this just seems to work for me lool). The attack EVs aren't really needed because Coil boosts its attack anyways to high levels, given you have enough bulk, which you do.
Ah, okay, that makes allot of sense, thank you, I'll edit this into my post right now!
Actually, as I was editing I wasn't sure on certain aspects of this Eelektross. I was just assuming Adamant for the nature? And when going 252 HP/252 SpD should the last four be invested in Attack or Defense?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Ah, okay, that makes allot of sense, thank you, I'll edit this into my post right now!
Actually, as I was editing I wasn't sure on certain aspects of this Eelektross. I was just assuming Adamant for the nature? And when going 252 HP/252 SpD should the last four be invested in Attack or Defense?

Put the last 4 in Attack.

Regarding Eelektross itself, it has to use a Careful nature and 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef because its Attack and Defense will be boosted by Coil.

Regarding Milotic, a Bold nature is preferred over Calm because it helps its physical bulk greatly; its Special Defense is high enough already.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
PlatinumDude, you make Zapdos saaddd ;o; lol Zapdos is happy again n_n

Anyway, I think Eelektross and Roserade are very viable options for your team. So correct me if I'm wrong, but as of right now your have Arcanine, Roserade, Eelektross, and Milotic, right? That leaves you taking a lot of neutral damage (and some super effective damage) from types like Ghost, Dark, Dragon, Psychic, etc. And although it would add to your Fire/Ground weakness, I'm going to recommend Bisharp! ^o^ I'm not all that great with UU, someone cover me if I'm way off base here.

Bisharp @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature [+Attack ; - Sp. Attack]
Defiant
160 HP / 252 Attack / 96 Speed *See PlatinumDude's post*
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute
- Iron Head / Brick Break /Low Kick

You already have a great Physical Sweeper in Arcanine, but here's a little something to consider. Bisharp has fantastic resistances, access to Swords Dance (which boosts Attack to a potential 765, iirc), and priority in Sucker Punch. That kind of power with entry hazard support can OHKO Pokemon that resist it. Substitute can be used when people start getting wise to this set and predict your Sucker Punch. Max Attack EVs, a bit into Speed so Bisharp can outpace minimum speed Milotic, and the rest goes into HP because Bisharp can make great use of it with it's great typing. STAB Iron Head is always good (OHKO Pokemon like Machamp after boot), but Brick Break can be used for near perfect coverage in tandem with Sucker Punch and tank through Reflect / Light Screen.

Also, I feel obligated to mention that Mismagius makes an excellent teammate for Bisharp. Together, they counter most of each others main threats and make an offensive Attack/Sp.Attack powerhouse. That, and Bisharp and Roserade have pretty notable synergy, breaking defensive threats like Tangrowth that give Bisharp a hard time (resisting Iron Head and phazing away Substitute, Swords Dance, and Sucker Punch with Roar :/). But that kind of occupies the remainder of your team.

Give your team a test and let us know how it goes! Also, don't forget to update your post with the changes you make so the raters can have a clear idea of what your newly constructed team looks like.

Edit : Thanks Platinum!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
PlatinumDude, you make Zapdos saaddd ;o; lol

Anyway, I think Eelektross and Roserade are very viable options for your team. So correct me if I'm wrong, but as of right now your have Arcanine, Roserade, Eelektross, and Milotic, right? That leaves you taking a lot of neutral damage (and some super effective damage) from types like Ghost, Dark, Dragon, Psychic, etc. And although it would add to your Fire/Ground weakness, I'm going to recommend Bisharp! ^o^ I'm not all that great with UU, someone cover me if I'm way off base here.

Bisharp @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature [+Attack ; - Sp. Attack]
Defiant
160 HP / 252 Attack / 96 Speed
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute
- Iron Head / Brick Break

You already have a great Physical Sweeper in Arcanine, but here's a little something to consider. Bisharp has fantastic resistances, access to Swords Dance (which boosts Attack to a potential 765, iirc), and priority in Sucker Punch. That kind of power with entry hazard support can OHKO Pokemon that resist it. Substitute can be used when people start getting wise to this set and predict your Sucker Punch. Max Attack EVs, a bit into Speed so Bisharp can outpace minimum speed Milotic, and the rest goes into HP because Bisharp can make great use of it with it's great typing. STAB Iron Head is always good (OHKO Pokemon like Machamp after boot), but Brick Break can be used for near perfect coverage in tandem with Sucker Punch and tank through Reflect / Light Screen.

Also, I feel obligated to mention that Mismagius makes an excellent teammate for Bisharp. Together, they counter most of each others main threats and make an offensive Attack/Sp.Attack powerhouse. That, and Bisharp and Roserade have pretty notable synergy, breaking defensive threats like Tangrowth that give Bisharp a hard time (resisting Iron Head and phazing away Substitute, Swords Dance, and Sucker Punch with Roar :/). But that kind of occupies the remainder of your team.

Give your team a test and let us know how it goes! Also, don't forget to update your post with the changes you make so the raters can have a clear idea of what your newly constructed team looks like.

If Bisharp is used on the team, then Low Kick (one of the B2/W2 tutor moves, if you get the game) should be the option alongside Iron Head; there are times when Brick Break's power doesn't cut it; it hits heavier opponents, like Rhyperior, harder than Brick Break would. The EV spread of 128 HP/252 Atk/128 Spe is also the ideal spread because while Bisharp loses a bit of bulk here, the spread allows it to outrun Gligar, who is seen with little to no Speed at all.

Last edited:
Years
I have updated the first post with all of the changes and additions you have said, which means I altered the natures, some EVs and added in the Bisharp. I like the idea of Mismagius as I've been toying around with using her for a while, but what set should I go for specifically? Her high Special Attack sounds great for Nasty Plot, while Calm Mind compliments her stats very nicely. Nevertheless, I was considering using this set:

Mismagius @ Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs: 200 HP/56 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Modest/Timid
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power {Fighting}/Will-O-Wisp

I was thinking to provide a decent amount of HP for the substitutes I'll be putting up, and Shadow Ball for STAB. Will-O-Wisp would make the load lighter from physical attackers, but Hidden Power {Fighting} provides the extra coverage that Mismagius needs. Timid with 252 Speed EVs are there to ensure the first hit, but I'm unsure if that's necessary; I have only 56 EVs invested in Special Attack due to the Nasty Plot boost. Leftovers to recover some of the bulk, with Life Orb to ensure I'm hitting hard.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I have updated the first post with all of the changes and additions you have said, which means I altered the natures, some EVs and added in the Bisharp. I like the idea of Mismagius as I've been toying around with using her for a while, but what set should I go for specifically? Her high Special Attack sounds great for Nasty Plot, while Calm Mind compliments her stats very nicely. Nevertheless, I was considering using this set:

Mismagius @ Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs: 200 HP/56 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Modest/Timid
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power {Fighting}/Will-O-Wisp

I was thinking to provide a decent amount of HP for the substitutes I'll be putting up, and Shadow Ball for STAB. Will-O-Wisp would make the load lighter from physical attackers, but Hidden Power {Fighting} provides the extra coverage that Mismagius needs. Timid with 252 Speed EVs are there to ensure the first hit, but I'm unsure if that's necessary; I have only 56 EVs invested in Special Attack due to the Nasty Plot boost. Leftovers to recover some of the bulk, with Life Orb to ensure I'm hitting hard.

Whether you use Nasty Plot or Calm Mind depends on whether you want to have raw power after setting up or slowly have Mismagius gain more special bulk and power per set up. A bulky spread is better for the Calm Mind set, however, since Mismagius may be forced to attack before it sets up Nasty Plot:
-Nasty Plot
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power (Fighting)/Thunderbolt
-Substitute/Taunt
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

or
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power (Fighting)
EVs: 160 HP/96 SAtk/252 Spe

Years
Wouldn't it require a tad more bulk for the Substitute, or does that not matter for the power you're receiving? (Nasty Plot set)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Wouldn't it require a tad more bulk for the Substitute, or does that not matter for the power you're receiving? (Nasty Plot set)

Substitute is an option for Mismagius because said move protects Mismagius from Pursuit attempts, as well as debilitating status, like paralysis or poison. You just have to predict when you use the move.

Alternatively, if you're using Substitute + set up move, you try to bring in Mismagius on an Pokemon it can force out. As the opponent switches, you set up a Sub. Then as the opponent attacks the Sub, you Nasty Plot/Calm Mind up. Then you're free to either attack or set up another Sub.

Years
Substitute is an option for Mismagius because said move protects Mismagius from Pursuit attempts, as well as debilitating status, like paralysis or poison. You just have to predict when you use the move.

Alternatively, if you're using Substitute + set up move, you try to bring in Mismagius on an Pokemon it can force out. As the opponent switches, you set up a Sub. Then as the opponent attacks the Sub, you Nasty Plot/Calm Mind up. Then you're free to either attack or set up another Sub.

Okay, I'll go with that, then. Thanks for explaining everything and helping out with my team (that goes for everyone who helped me).

Now after I edit this post, I'm going to work on breeding them and then tell you the results after a couple of battles.

Back