• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
Update #2
Caught a Nidoran♂ on Route 3 at lvl 6 named him Wilber - Trained him up to lvl 14 and continued into the Mt Moon
Caught a Zubat in Mt Moon at lvl 10 and named her Nipper, spent a long time training him to lvl 16 so that he would learn Bite and actually be a functioning member of my team.
As i progressed in the Cave Nidoran♂ evolved into Nidorino at lvl 16 which i decided i didn't care about any of the moves i would "miss out"on and i used a moon stone on him immediately afterwards making my NidoKing and all his glory. (should have waited since the water gym is coming up)
My Bulbasaur decided to evolve right on Que before leaving Mt Moon. Oh i caught an ekans (lvl6) on Route 4 but he's so miserably useless I don't intend to use him when I plan to use Gengar and Tentacruel as the last 2 places in my team.
Finally through Mt Moon and into town where i fought my Rival and litterally all of my pokemon died except Ivysaur who lived againt Charmander with 2 HP left (Achievement unlocked)
Did the Nugget thing. I was able to steam roll right through all of them without healing at all. Traiers trainers bleh bleh blah, I'm at Bills and Misty time.
Misty was difficult because her Starmie has an advantage over all of my team and equally a disadvantage vs my Ivysaur. Her Starmie after it was asleep and confused and hurt itself once was still able to take out my Ivysaur in 2 confusions. My Nidoking pulled through and was able to kill Starmie with just Mega punching it until it died from it. With my entire team dead except Nidoking with 17 HP left it was getting kinda close... easilly 1 more water move and he'd have died...
After the gym i kicked that rocket theif's dairy air and took his dig also: my Zubat evolved into Golbat making her much more useful with her Wing Attack.
Decided to pick up the Old Rod and the Bike Voucher.
On the SS boat thingy i defeated every room and healed before fighting my Rival. This time my Ivysaur was able to take out Pigeotto and Charmander despite being weak against them. Ivysuar died to burn and Nidoking defeated everyone else with 1 or 2 hits.
Got cut but no HM slave... was hoping ekans could learn cut but not so much so i caught a Meowth (lvl 14) he will be my HM slave. with pickup ability its a very good HM slave.
On to fight the 3rd gym... my current line-up is:
Spaurz♂ lvl 25 - Timid Nature with the moves: Tackle, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Razor Leaf
BeeDrill♀ (i forgot to nickname lol) lvl 25 - Relaxed Nature with the moves: Twineedle, Rage, Focus Energy, Fury Attack
Nipper♀ lvl 24 - Careful Nature with the moves: Wing Attack, Astonish, Supersonic, Bite
Wilber♂ lvl 25 - Jolly Nature with the moves: Peck, Dig, Thrash, Brick Break (he right now is my leading damage dealer/tank combo
//HM Slave(s)//
Meouth♀ lvl 14 - Bashful Nature with the moves: Scratch, Growl, Bite, Cut
First 2 trash cans i looked in had the switch :D
defeated all of the trainers without any problems... Now the gym leader.
Voltorb vs Nipper
Screech vs Bite
2x Sonicbooms (cheater >.>;; ) vs Bite
Super Potion vs Bite
Sonicboom vs Bite
And he's gone
Pikachu is up next vs Nipper.
Shock wave killed me but my Bite brought his health down to 2/5
Spaurz is up -- Razor Leaf and he's gone.
Raichu is up next vs Spaurz
Double Team vs Sleep Powder (i missed)
Quick Attack vs Sleep Powder (missed again...)
Thunder Wave vs Razor Leaf (paralyzed)
Double Team vs Razor Leaf (paralyzed)
Double Team Vs Razor Leaf
I need to Leech Seed him or he'll out live my team
after 3 attempts i was successful.
well... actually another razor leaf and he died lol... and that's that for Gym 3 on to the next one.

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
Electric Update #3: Finished Cristallo

Here are my final team pics:
Spoiler:

That's all for now. :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2015
FireRed Mono Water update #1:
So I chose Squirtle as my starter and it was apparently female so I named her Aqui, and then I battled my rival and I spammed tackle till I won lol best rival strategy ever. Then I Grinded my Squirtle to level 13 in Viridian Forest and, I was afraid of getting poisoned and blacking out so I caught a Pidgey and it will be used as my HM slave, so I traveled to Pewter City and beat Brock. Difficulty: 0/5 it may have been the easiest battle I have ever faced in a Pokemon game, because all I used was just water gun and both of Brocks pokemon fainted in one hit.
P.S does anyone know where the next water type will be, because its getting boring just using Squirtle.

Last edited:

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
FireRed Mono Water update #1:
So I chose Squirtle as my starter and it was apparently female so I named her Aqui, and then I battled my rival and I spammed tackle till I won lol best rival strategy ever. Then I Grinded my Squirtle to level 13 in Viridian Forest and, I was afraid of getting poisoned and blacking out so I caught a Pidgey and it will be used as my HM slave, so I traveled to Pewter City and beat Brock. Difficulty: 0/5 it may have been the easiest battle I have ever faced in a Pokemon game, because all I used was just water gun and both of Brocks pokemon fainted in one hit.
P.S does anyone know where the next water type will be, because its getting boring just using Squirtle.

The next available Water type would be the Magikarp you can purchase at the Pokémon Center just outside Mt. Moon. :)

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
Electric Update #4: Platinum Finished

I know I updated earlier, but I just got Platinum done, it's runs pretty fast for me. It's goes about 3x speed in the overworld and about 7x speed during battles on DeSmuME, so I always get it done pretty quickly. :)

Anyways, here's my final team pics.
Spoiler:

I haven't continued Emerald yet and I started White 2, I'll finish Emerald before I update with White 2, I'm saving that for a big final update. :)

ScubaDouch3

Ice-Type Lover
Years
Well, I can't seem to upload pictures from my phone right now thanks to our computer being old and not having an SD Card slot, so for now just trust me on my word cause I can only do text updates for Gen IV and V:

Ultimate Fighting-Mono Challenge: Platinum

- Started game, chose Chimchar and called him "Bardock"

- Did the beginning stuff and eventually made it to Oreburgh where I caught a male Machop and named him "Macho Man"

- Did some light training, then challenged Roark and won for the
20px-Coal_Badge.png
Coal Badge

- Made my way to Floaroma and kicked Team Plasma out of the Windworks

- Got extremely lucky and found a Heracross on my 9th jar of Honey, so I caught him and named him "BeetleBorg"

- Went through Eterna Forest, emerged in Eterna City and kicked Team Plasma out of their building

- Challenged the Eterna Gym and defeated Gardenia for the
20px-Forest_Badge.png
Forest Badge

- Went through Cycling Road and Mt. Coronet and caught a male Ralts named "Sir Loin" on the way to Hearthome City

- Challenged Fantina and beat her rather easily for the
20px-Relic_Badge.png
Relic Badge

- Made my way through the routes to Solaceon, passed through and made my way to veilstone, passed through and made my way down to route 212 where I caught a Croagunk named "Dart" and found a Dawn Stone which I used to evolve my Kirlia into a Gallade

- Went all the way back to Veilstone and beat Maylene easily for the
20px-Cobble_Badge.png
Cobble Badge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully I can find a way soon to get my pictures up on my computer, but until then I guess this will have to do.

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2013
Fouth attempt at typing this, stupid tablet. Final update for Kanto, and this took forever. Lorelei was taken down by a combo of Slendy and Pixxy. Bruno was a joke for Pixxy, even his Onix were weak. Agatha was plain annoying! Confuse Rays everywhere, and Magma and Pixxy took her down. Lance is the definition of hell. Magma and Pixxy were the only two up when I defeated Lance. Gary was easier then expected. Pixxy swept most of his team, courtesy of Toxic. Blastoise ruined Pixxy's fun, but not before poisoning Blastoise himself. Magma finished Blastoise off, and he *****ed like always. Final team: Pixxy(MVP)-Ninetails Lvl.53: Fire Spin, Flamethrower, Dig, and Toxic: Magma-Magmar Lvl.51: Fire Blast, Psychic, Psywave, and Confuse Ray: Slendy-Charizard Lvl.51: Body Slam, Earthquake, Flamethrower, and Submission: FlameNFame-Flareon Lvl.50: Fire Spin, Bite, Rest, and Ember: Dash(LVP)-Rapidash Lvl.50: Fire Spin, Stomp, Flamethrower, and Double Team. I'll be busy for tommorow, so I'll try to update for Crystal when I can, and in the meanwhile I'll be deciding my Johto team. For sure I'll have Typhlosion, but any suggestions are welcome, and good luck to anyone attempting this challenge. See you later. :)

Last edited:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Update #6

After beating Koga I took a break then head over to Saffron and challenged Sabrina.
vs
106.gif
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 26, 2018
Randomly Generated a Poke and it was a Pidgeotto so sign me up for Flying and I'm gonna go for an Ultimate
I'm gonna start off with Red Version and figure out the other versions later

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Fouth attempt at typing this, stupid tablet. Final update for Kanto, and this took forever. Lorelei was taken down by a combo of Slendy and Pixxy. Bruno was a joke for Pixxy, even his Onix were weak. Agatha was plain annoying! Confuse Rays everywhere, and Magma and Pixxy took her down. Lance is the definition of hell. Magma and Pixxy were the only two up when I defeated Lance. Gary was easier then expected. Pixxy swept most of his team, courtesy of Toxic. Blastoise ruined Pixxy's fun, but not before poisoning Blastoise himself. Magma finished Blastoise off, and he *****ed like always. Final team: Pixxy(MVP)-Ninetails Lvl.53: Fire Spin, Flamethrower, Dig, and Toxic: Magma-Magmar Lvl.51: Fire Blast, Psychic, Psywave, and Confuse Ray: Slendy-Charizard Lvl.51: Body Slam, Earthquake, Flamethrower, and Submission: FlameNFame-Flareon Lvl.50: Fire Spin, Bite, Rest, and Ember: Dash(LVP)-Rapidash Lvl.50: Fire Spin, Stomp, Flamethrower, and Double Team. I'll be busy for tommorow, so I'll try to update for Crystal when I can, and in the meanwhile I'll be deciding my Johto team. For sure I'll have Typhlosion, but any suggestions are welcome, and good luck to anyone attempting this challenge. See you later. :)
You can get a Magby from the Daycare couple. It even has a high chance to be shiny. :D

Really, fire is a very scarce type, in pretty much every game, so there's a good chance that until you reach Kanto, your team will pretty much be stuff from your last game.

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2013
@NecrumWarrior Thanks for the suggestion. There is a patch of grass west of Violet City where I can get a growlithe. Knowing that is helpful, and because you mentioned the odd egg, I want to ask a question: if you save right before your odd egg hatches, and you restart your game because you didn't get the right pokemon, will the pokemon that hatches reset itself? Just asking if anyone knows. As always, good luck to anyone attempting this challenge, and see you later with my Crystal update, but first, I'm starting a Meganium Ultimate Solo Run alonside this challenge, so it should prove very interesting. :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 26, 2018
Red Version Flying UMC First Update
- Named myself Alex and Rival Blue
- Started off with Zippo the Charmander
- Took on BLUE's Squirtle and won
- Headed towards Viridian and got and delivered Oak's Parcel and got the Dex and Town Map
- Caught Birdman the level 3 Pidgey
- Grinded until both Zippo and Birdman were level 10

Battle with Blue #1

I started off with Zippo and Embered his Pidgey a couple times. I then switched into Birdman figuring that I could whittle his Squirtle down with Gust and then Zippo would finish him off after Birdman fainted but no! Birdman was able to take him down after 2 sand attacks I got lucky with his accuracy and Gusted the Squirtle to death. Zippo reached level 11 during the Battle.

- Charged through Viridian Forest with no problems with Zippo reaching level 13 and Birdman reaching level 12
- Trained until both were level 14
- Headed to the gym and beat the Junior Trainer and got ready to face Brock

Battle With Brock

I decided to lead with Zippo and see if I could just take down Geodude with Ember and this worked to perfection as Zippo did not take any damage. For Onix I decided to switch into Birdman so I could Sand Attack him which I did 6 times (sorry Brock I know how this feels) so his Onix could not hit me. Then I just Gusted and Quick Attacked my way to Victory. Both Zippo and Birdman grew to level 15.

- Fought my way to the Poke Center where I purchased Rage the Magikarp
- Zippo evolved into a Charmeleon
- Trained in Mt. Moon until Zippo and Birdman were level 18 which is when Birdman evolved into Pidgeotto
- Rage also grew to level 9
- Saved the game inside Mt. Moon

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
@NecrumWarrior Thanks for the suggestion. There is a patch of grass west of Violet City where I can get a growlithe. Knowing that is helpful, and because you mentioned the odd egg, I want to ask a question: if you save right before your odd egg hatches, and you restart your game because you didn't get the right pokemon, will the pokemon that hatches reset itself? Just asking if anyone knows. As always, good luck to anyone attempting this challenge, and see you later with my Crystal update, but first, I'm starting a Meganium Ultimate Solo Run alonside this challenge, so it should prove very interesting. :)
You have to save before receiving the egg. The Pokemon is generated when you get the egg, not when you hatch it.

Years
#6 Update for Monobug - Platinum

-done Water Routes
-defeated Rival
-done Iron Island Quest

134.gif
: difficulty 0/5
214.png
3 Close Combat.

-defeated Team Galactic at tha lakes
-done Snowy Routes

135.gif
: difficulty 2/5
214.png
Close Combat and Earthquake

-defeated Team Galactic and Cyrus
-defeated Cyrus and Giratina

136.gif
: difficulty 0/5
214.png
Earthquake

-done Victory Road
-defeated Rival

E4:

Aaron: difficulty 0/5
*Bug Buzz on
452.png
, Stone Edge on
416.png
, Air Slash on the others

Bertha: difficulty 1/5
*easy enough
450.png
caused me little problems but
214.png
managed to beat him

Flint: difficutly 0/5
214.png
Earthquake OHKO everyone

Lucian: difficulty 0/5
*Bug Buzz, Attack Order, Megahorn...

091.gif
: difficulty 1/5
469.png
vs
442.png
2 Bug Buzz 3-5
214.png
vs
468.png
Stone Edge flinched.. *_* ... Stone Edge 3-4
416.png
vs
350.png
Attack Order, Mirror Coat missed.. Ice Beam, Attack Order, Rapid Claws Attack Order 3-3
214.png
vs
448.png
heling
416.png
, stone Edge, Earthquake flinched, Earthquek critical hit 3-2
214.png
vs
407.png
Toxic, Megahorn OHKO 3-1
416.png
vs
445.png
Dragon Rush, Destiny Bond... Flamthrower... 2-0

Final Team:
214f.gif
LV61 MVP
Bashful | Female | Guts | King's Rock
Earthquake
Megahorn
Stone Edge
Brick Break

416.gif
LV59
Quiet | Female | Pressure | Rapid Claws
Heal Order
Attack Order
Dentiny Bond
Power Gem

469.gif
LV59
Mild | Female | Speed Boost | Razor Claw
Bug Buzz
Air Slash
Shadow Ball
Psychic

HoF Screenshot:
uZ0Ss.jpg

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
I've recently received HM02 (fly) but my Golbat cannot learn it ... (even though he can learn in it gen 4 and 5. )
Is it against the rules to trade Golbat to a Gen4 or Gen5 game to teach it Fly and trade him back?
in Gen 3 only Crobat can learn Fly for some reason >.<;; (Crobat is like 1/4 the size of Golbat... w/e lol)

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I've recently received HM02 (fly) but my Golbat cannot learn it ... (even though he can learn in it gen 4 and 5. )
Is it against the rules to trade Golbat to a Gen4 or Gen5 game to teach it Fly and trade him back?
in Gen 3 only Crobat can learn Fly for some reason >.<;; (Crobat is like 1/4 the size of Golbat... w/e lol)
It's not against the rules because it's impossible to do, lol. Backtrading isn't possible after Gen II unfortunately.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
It's not against the rules because it's impossible to do, lol. Backtrading isn't possible after Gen II unfortunately.
So... i can't take the official fire red copy and trade it to gen 4 and then trade it back?
I can't say i've attempted such a feat considering i've never had reason to do so...
If i tweak my original trainer number is it possible to trade it back?

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
Electric Update #5

I finally finished Emerald. If it wasn't for Drake's Flygon, I would've finished this morning. :P

Anyways, here are pics of my final team, I am nearly finished with White 2, so my final Electric update will come tonight or tomorrow morning, and I'll go ahead and sign-up for the next step in my Ultimate Monotype Super Quest. :)

Spoiler:

Username: WarriorCat
Type: Dark
Challenge: Ultimate
Games: Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2

Last edited:

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
Years
So... i can't take the official fire red copy and trade it to gen 4 and then trade it back?
I can't say i've attempted such a feat considering i've never had reason to do so...
If i tweak my original trainer number is it possible to trade it back?
It's not possible in any sense. You can trade forward from Gen I to Gen II, and then Gen III to Gen IV. And then all those strange ways they've made to transfer forward from there. There is no way to back trade in anything after G/S/C. I hope this answers whatever questions you may have

Dark Marik

The Ruler of All Doors!
Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2016
It's not possible in any sense. You can trade forward from Gen I to Gen II, and then Gen III to Gen IV. And then all those strange ways they've made to transfer forward from there. There is no way to back trade in anything after G/S/C. I hope this answers whatever questions you may have
Going from gen 3 to 4 is also a transfer, not a trade.

But yeah, only 1st and 2nd gen are capable of trading with each other. All the others can only trade within their own gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back