• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's all Remember the Great times we had with the Nintendo DS

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
(If this is in the wrong section Mods Please Move it)

There come's a time In every console's life where we Must say Goodbye to it and welcome in the next

I Feel that the Nintendo DS Has finally hit that Mark

With a Library of Grand Games (Most Notably the Pokemon Series) And also Some ****** Games (Most Notably any Game Adapted From a Movie) I think the DS Was a Great Console it was a First in the Touch Screen Generation of Consoles of many to Come

Released in North America on November 21st 2004 and in Japan on December 2nd
Released in Australia on February 25th 2005 and in Europe on March 11th 2005
The Original DS (Now Commonly known as the DS Phat)
Discontinued in 2007 and Succeeded by the Redesigned and Much Smaller the Nintendo DS Lite
Released on My Birthday 7 Years Ago (As of 2013) March 2nd 2006 in Japan
and Everywhere else in June

The Best Selling Game Being: Nintendogs (22.27 Million all versions combined as of March 31st 2009)
And New Super Mario Bros (18.45 Million)

Then Succeeded by the Nintendo DSi Which Featured a New Firmware and also and Overhaul of the Look to now have a Camera
Being the First Nintendo Device to be Internet Enabled for System Updates Released on November 1st 2008

Which was then Redesigned again into a Larger Version Known as the Nintendo DSi XL

And Now The Direct Successor to the Nintendo DS and the one to be eventually Welcomed in properly The Nintendo 3DS Released on February 26th 2011 in Japan, March 25th 2011 in Europe, March 27th 2011 in North America, March 31st 2011 in Australia, April 28th 2012 in Korea and December 1st 2012 in China (Wow Lol China gets it last a Country with like 2 Billion People)
Although the 3DS has Already been Succeeded by the 3DSxl They run the same software and can be treated mostly the same

So Lets all Discuss our Memories we had with the Nintendo DS as it slowly fades into History

R.I.P Nintendo DS 2004-2012
Most Recent Released Game: Pokemon Black 2 and White 2
Best Selling Games: Nintendogs (All Versions) and New Super Mario Bros DS
Succeeded by: The Nintendo 3DS

(Mods again if this is in the wrong place please please move it)

And Welcoming in the Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo 3DS 2011-Present

Last edited:

MegamanDX

Pokemon/Megaman fan
Years
I still remember when I was 10 years old saving up 5 months worth of cash to pay for the $99 handheld system that brought me out of the stone age of only having the first gameboy and Red version while I saw everyone else with their diamond and peral games and fancy handhelds with two screens(My mom found a place to live in instead of our car which is where we are living at now 8 years later)

Ahhh! Good memorys indeed! I give a big thanks to the Nintendo DS for helping me out of being left out of the fandom and also a thanks for introducing me to the Pokemon fandom as well:)

shadowpikachu0426

Just me, what did you expect?
Years
I remember the first time I played Diamond and Pearl.

Wow. Nostalgia~~! I loved that game so much. I had gotten all the way to the part where you catch Dialga, but I couldn't navigate Mt. Cornet, so I lent it to a freind of mine, Bill, whose sister released Dialga minutes after he caught it. I restarted the game after that, but the game was stolen at my daycare.

Platinum I got at my 9th birthday, I think. It was also the only game I ever beat without help from anybody. I remember, I was waiting for my parents to come back from Los Vegas or somewhere at the airport, and I got to Mt. Cornet Peak while waiting for them to arrive. I was more excited over visiting the Distortion World than seeing them, but unfortonutely it died on me before I could catch Giritina.. I was so mad!

Ahh, childhood. I'll never forget you. Speaking of which, I'm off to go get the Platinum ROM so I can relive it! :D

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
With a Library of Grand Games (Most Notably the Pokemon Series)
Hell. No.

The Pokemon series is the primary reason people dismiss the DS, and the reason people missed out on so much. (I'm guilty of this until recently.) If you're playing the DS just for Pokemon game, stop and look here.
The Pokemon games are far from the best. (D/P was awful, Platinum only managed to fix things. HG/SS feels slow and boring compared to G/S/C. B/W is hit or miss.)

The DS is my favorite video game hardware of all time, with only the Wii being close second. A one-two punch from Nintendo that managed to knock me out. Of course this is taking into account the Gamecube and Gameboy Advance backwards compatibility. The library it has is absolutely huge, and it had everything you need. RPGs come with most of the Dragon Quest series, Mario and Luigi, Shin Megami Tensei, and even the best version of Final Fantasy IV. You got some of the best visual novels including Ace Attorney, 999, Hotel Dusk, Trace Memory and Ghost Trick. Arguably the best Mario Kart. The best puzzles. Etc etc.

The library is only rivaled by the PS2. You can have an argument for days about which is the best of the two, but it comes to preference. The DS was home to the best 2D styled and innovative games while PS2 is more streamlined, 3D and homes great niche games if you're into those. Hardware-wise they're outdone by their rivals (PSP and Gamecube), but they completely curbstomped their competition with the library and the phenomenal marketing. Everyone owes to their selves to own one, if not both of them.

That said, I want to put my top 5 DS games here:
1. Elite Beat Agents
2. Rhythm Heaven
3. Mario Kart DS
4. Hotel Dusk
5. Need to play more of the games before I have to decide this one. Mario 64 DS might have gotten the spot if it weren't for the awful lack of analogue control.

Notice how my top two are both Rhythm games. I do want to mention that, before I played those two, I was absolutely against Rhythm games. (Still am for the most part.) But these two are the best games I have ever played in a while because of the simple yet challenging game design full of content.

Here's to the 3DS following the footsteps of it's predecessor. Wii U doesn't look so bright though.

NatureKeeper

The Pokemon series is the primary reason people dismiss the DS, and the reason people missed out on so much. (I'm guilty of this until recently.) If you're playing the DS just for Pokemon game, stop and look here.
The Pokemon games are far from the best. (D/P was awful, Platinum only managed to fix things. HG/SS feels slow and boring compared to G/S/C. B/W is hit or miss.)

The DS is my favorite video game hardware of all time, with only the Wii being close second. A one-two punch from Nintendo that managed to knock me out. Of course this is taking into account the Gamecube and Gameboy Advance backwards compatibility. The library it has is absolutely huge, and it had everything you need. RPGs come with most of the Dragon Quest series, Mario and Luigi, Shin Megami Tensei, and even the best version of Final Fantasy IV. You got some of the best visual novels including Ace Attorney, 999, Hotel Dusk, Trace Memory and Ghost Trick. Arguably the best Mario Kart. The best puzzles. Etc etc.

The library is only rivaled by the PS2. You can have an argument for days about which is the best of the two, but it comes to preference. The DS was home to the best 2D styled and innovative games while PS2 is more streamlined, 3D and homes great niche games if you're into those. Hardware-wise they're outdone by their rivals (PSP and Gamecube), but they completely curbstomped their competition with the library and the phenomenal marketing. Everyone owes to their selves to own one, if not both of them.

That said, I want to put my top 5 DS games here:
1. Elite Beat Agents
2. Rhythm Heaven
3. Mario Kart DS
4. Hotel Dusk
5. Need to play more of the games before I have to decide this one. Mario 64 DS might have gotten the spot if it weren't for the awful lack of analogue control.

Notice how my top two are both Rhythm games. I do want to mention that, before I played those two, I was absolutely against Rhythm games. (Still am for the most part.) But these two are the best games I have ever played in a while because of the simple yet challenging game design full of content.

Here's to the 3DS following the footsteps of it's predecessor. Wii U doesn't look so bright though.

Also the price... Wii U is $299.99 and you can get a PS3/360 with hundreds of Gigabytes of storage + Games or even Kinect for 360 for less than that.

On-topic.

The DS is full of memories for me. My first memory was finding that box waiting for me last day of school. I quickly unboxed, set-it-up and played a game on it and I instantly loved it.

My next memory is buying Pokemon Diamond and playing it. It was pretty lovely, considering all my GBA Pokemon games were destroyed/lost. That was... 4 years ago?

Then I got SoulSilver, which I absolutely adored (until I lost my Pokewalker) and White, but I wasn't very content with White. It was niche while it lasted, but the system was too outdated for lazy ol' Game Freak to put another generation on it.

Oh, also my cousin destroyed my jet-black DS lite so I had to buy a Silver one. It was a heartbreak. :|

EQUALSGAMER

Proud user of Garbodor
Years
I rember just laying on the couch playing pokemon peal then platinum and all the times I spent at my friend's house trying to set up the wi fi connetion. And all those times I dropped you and you still worked, and my first pokemon trade to my first gts trade, to my first online battle and my first level 100 and transfering all my favorite pokemon from sapphire to pearl and trading pokemon and tips to each other at baseball practice. The ds will always hold a place in my heart.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I've bought my DS two years ago, but I've played some games on emulators before. Since I probably won't buy a 3DS soon (until they release at least 20 games I'd like to play + a main Pokemon game), it'll provide me with fun for a couple of years. There are so many good games there to complete.
My top 10 would be:
1. Super Robot Wars L
2. Phoenix Wright series
3. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!
4. Inazuma Eleven
5. Etrian Odyssey series
6. Dragon Quest IX
7. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
8. Pokemon Black and White
9. Jump Ultimate Stars
10. Cooking Mama series
My list screams: PLAY MORE GAMES!

Mr. Magius

  
Years
The NDS definitely has the best library of games to choose from. There's a solid wall of games to play that would satisfy anyone's tastes. Thanks for the link, Spinosaurus, I haven't heard of half of those games but I'm really interested in playing them all.

As much as the DS might be "dead" considering the 3DS exists, it's still very much alive to me. I have dozens of games laying around that I haven't started playing due to the giant roster of games that I'm currently going through.

lineofdeath

...overuser of the ellipsis...
Years
Yeah but still I still use mine for trades and gba stuff.
I have a 3ds, but

Goodbye DS

Years
I have had my Ice Blue DS Lite since 2008, and the first game I ever played on it was Pokemon Diamond. Had such fond memories of the 4th Generation, and I play all my Pokemon games (Pearl, Platinum, SoulSilver, Black, White, Black 2 and White 2) on it.

I also sometimes hoard my brother's old DS Lite when I need to trade Pokemon.

Even though I recently got a 3DS XL, I would wait until I get a proper 3D game for it. Just cos the 3DS is around doesn't mean the DS is dead yet. It had an awesome collection of games on it too.

I loved all the Pokemon games released for DS, Diamond/Pearl were the only disappointments due to the speed and the lack of type diversity in the Pokedex. At least Platinum fixed that. HG/SS was fun and I managed to rack in a long gameplay time. But it was Black/White and Black 2/White 2 that captured me with the cool graphics and changes to gameplay.

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
When I was 12 years old, I was home violently ill & mostly waiting to see how long it was until I simply slipped into another coma.

When my mom bought me a Nintendo DS as well as Pokèmon Pearl, I was so happy!

The Nintendo DS was a staple in my developmental years, which may have very well kept me alive through sheer joy.

Years
The pokemon series is one of the main reasons why I wanted a DS. I was introduced into a whole bunch of games like Phoenix Wright, Cooking mama, & the remakes of other games like FF & Mario. They where sturdy systems & had a fairly long battery life for what it's worth. I have a 3DS now from trading in when the upgrades where available. Nintendo always moves handhelds quickly, so it'll be a matter of time before we see another new handheld right around the corner.

Years
The DS was my childhood; Pokemon, Mario, Cooking Mama, Nintendogs. I spent a very long time playing all these games, trying to complete every single one. Now, with the releases of the new DS', I have completely dropped my original DS. In fact pretty much everyone here, considering this is a Pokemon forum, will probably have a 3DS ready for X and Y. After the 3DS, I don't really know what to expect. I already see Nvidia's Project Shield console they announced as some sort of mega DS anyway. It'll be interesting to see where the DS goes...

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2013
The absolute best DS game I've ever played is rune Factory 3. the story was great, the gameplay was CRAZY addictive, the characters were fun and engaging. It's like combining all of the best aspects of Harvest Moon, Legend of Zelda, and Final Fantasy in one single game. Just perfect.

Every Ouendan game, including Elite Beat Agents... Now THOSE were amazing.

Dawn of Sorrow was so very enjoyable, too. I rather enjoyed Portrait of Ruin as well, though I don't think a lot of others did.

Blue Rescue Team is probably my second-favorite RPG storyline... maybe even my first. It's hard to say.

Drawn to Life was surprisingly enjoyable, even if it was simplistic.

Sonic Rush had some cool stages, too.

And finally, I still have to finish Dragon Quest IX at some point. =P

Back