• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cultural Difference Affecting Game Sales/Quality

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
These are partially the reasons why some games never get exported to some countries outside of their own. There's that one country where a certain genre, or a certain franchise, is incredibly popular compared to the rest, to which it garners the best unit sales and/or highest scores. However, this has me thinking; because of how one genre/series sells like hot cakes and curb stomps other genres/series to the ground in one country, should companies stop exporting those games in fear of another low sales by the dominance of that one popular genre? In the U.S., shooter genres such as CoD are the most dominant titles in the U.S. in terms of sales and scores nowadays, scaring away Japanese companies from exporting their own games outside of Japan and are forced to distribute western titles in hopes to get money from the U.S. sales. This may happen to Mario and Pokémon one day by those western titles surpass those franchises. Then we have another case of video game cultural difference. In Japan, console Zelda games sell poorly in Japan, but in the U.S., console Zelda games sell really well, but I fear that Nintendo may end the franchise if another console Zelda game doesn't make a certain number of units in their home country regardless of how many units sold in the U.S. (because you know, eastern companies always listen to their homeland's audience rather than other countries, since that's how Nintendo pick their characters for SSB and ignore character requests from the U.S. and Europe explaining the lack of a playable Ridley in previous installments). What do you guys think about video game cultural differences: Are they an obstacle that video game companies must overcome or are they something with very little concern for companies?

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
No I feel that we should not stop exporting because the companie is making money as little as it sells. See dragon quest, it is the most popular gaming franchise in Japan it is so popular they made a law because 20 million people called in sick on dragon quest 7's release. The problem with dragon quest is that they take a while to be localised and exported to the western world. I also believe that japanese companies like square Enid will not stop exporting because they have a very large fan base outside of japan. CoD is just a fad and will die out around halfway this gen since we have a lot of good looking jRPGs looking our way. Digimon re:digitize, breath of fire VI, New final fantasy, dragon quest X and more all of these have a very large western fanbase. People are even petitioning to get digimon re:digitize to localised it has plenty of supporters and we missed out on the digimon adventure 01 game which follows the anime.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
No I feel that we should not stop exporting because the companie is making money as little as it sells. See dragon quest, it is the most popular gaming franchise in Japan it is so popular they made a law because 20 million people called in sick on dragon quest 7's release. The problem with dragon quest is that they take a while to be localised and exported to the western world. I also believe that japanese companies like square Enid will not stop exporting because they have a very large fan base outside of japan. CoD is just a fad and will die out around halfway this gen since we have a lot of good looking jRPGs looking our way. Digimon re:digitize, breath of fire VI, New final fantasy, dragon quest X and more all of these have a very large western fanbase. People are even petitioning to get digimon re:digitize to localised it has plenty of supporters and we missed out on the digimon adventure 01 game which follows the anime.
Pokémon was once a fad as well, but it's still alive today despite the fad being dead in the U.S. and not becoming a Japan-exclusive because of it, so don't expect CoD's popularity to die down in the future up until the next video game crash. Square Enix is losing a lot of yen right now, and not even Dragon Quest's large fanbase outside of Japan could save them because of the recent installments being gimped versions for smartphones and iOS. And despite the success Deus Ex Machinima and Tomb Raider in the western countries, those games really hurt them in terms of sales in Japan. Hence I ask if these are obstacles that companies must overcome or else they'll make some of their franchises region exclusives.

Back