• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research into audience uses and gratification of PokéCommunity forum

Years
  • Seen May 12, 2013
Heya everyone,
I'm a Uni student from the UK and I'm doing a research project into the audience's uses and gratifications of this online fan forum. I apologise if I've posted in wrong place or anything.

What I basically want to know from you as individuals is: Why do you use this forum? What are the benefits from the using this forum? What do you guys do? How often do you use the forum?

If you could answer these questions for me (as well as including more detail on your opinions and experiences on this forum) that would be excellent.

Thank you!

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Why do you use this forum?
The nostalgia factor, really. I came here a lot when I was a kid. These days I come to lurk around the various boards and see what interesting stuff people are talking about.

What are the benefits from the using this forum?
The community, mainly. Everybody's really nice and always on topic so the discussions are consistently straightforward.

What do you guys do?
I, personally, spend a lot of my time lurking. I post in threads where my opinions couldn't earn me any negative backlash (threads about personal preferences as opposed to opinions that could start arguments).

How often do you use the forum?
About once a day. Sometimes I'll check during my lunch break at work.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I've been coming to this forum since I was a kid. It was the first forum I joined, the first internet community I got involved in. I've grown up here. And I leave occasionally but I always end up coming back because I meet awesome people here and I love the environment.

It's helped me mature and gives me a place to talk about all kinds of things with thoughtful people. PC gives me the opportunity to see a lot of different viewpoints about all kinds of things.

What do you guys do?
I come in and post about things I'm interested in. I lurk topics and sections that intrigue me. Currently I'm interested in the Pokémon Anime so I post in there more than anything and promote activity so other people will come and talk with me.

All the time? I have periods of inactivity, but when I'm active I log in at least once a day and browse the site while doing other things as well. I'm on here for hours and hours just absent-mindedly browsing until something I'm interested in updates.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I first joined for to talk about Pokemon and that's one of the main reason I use it today, but it has also expanded into getting involved in non-Pokemon related discussions such as the topics on this particular section of the forum.

I say making friends and being part of a community. I've gotten to know a lot of people through this forum and made a good amount of friends here. I have to admit I they have become a second family to me.Through this forum I have really grown and become a better person and poster. I have also gained more interests through the people I've meet on this forum. For example, I didn't like the show Adventure Time until I heard people on Pokecommunity talk good things about it. PC has really given me a different perspective on different things and such.

What do you guys do?
Mostly post about Pokemon but also many non-Pokemon related discussions as well. We have fun contests and events for special days. Such as for April Fool's Day all the members were random Pokemon that would random change whenever the forum was refreshed. It was chaos cause you couldn't tell what user was who. XD For the forum's tenth anniversary we had an online Get-Together where there were many events including Pokemon battle tournaments and Pokemon egg swaps, retro gaming contest, Pokemon anime screenshot contest, and more fun events. But most of the time, we just post about things. I personally spend a lot of time posting in this section , Chit and Polls, Forum Games, Pokemon Clubs, The Welcome Lounge and Pokemon Gaming Central too and I just post in any thread I find I can respond to. I also post in my blog which I got through a contest sometime in March where I post about random things on the forum or random things that happen in my life. The winner gave it to me since he had a blog already. :)

I use this forum at least everyday. There are some days where I'm not on because I'm busy or can't find time to use my computer since I have to share it with three other people. I'm pretty active on here since and make at least 5-7 posts a day and have over 2072 posts. I have to admit, PC is my life! :)

droomph

weeb
Years
Luck, really. I don't know why I stay, but there's no downside, so WOOOOO

I can practice my social skills. I'm not up to par on them yet (seen by my frequent warnings from the staff), but I'm certainly getting better!

What do you guys do?
…have fun, really. PG fun.

It's basically reddit or 4chan for me. Pretty much when I have the time.

Reactions: Her

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
It allows me to stay in contact with friends here, as well as to discuss Pokemon with others.

Generally being social, battling/trading, help with Pokemon games in general, etc.
As for me, PC has been helpful in (as Dipu mentioned below) becoming more social. Also allowed me to meet a couple of people who were able to help me with a personal problem.

What do you guys do?
Talk, joke around, plan battles and trades, etc. I myself spend time on the DCC thread, as well as Art & Design, Pokemon General, and replying to polls in Chit Chat & Polls.

Honestly, it's beyond rare for me to go an entire day without using Pokecommunity at some point.

Last edited:

Honest

Hi!
Years
It's like an escape from the pressures of the world for me. PC's a place where I can go on to relax and not have to worry about a single thing in my life irl. Also, there people here are spectacular, so that's another reason I log in everyday, to be able to see these people interact.

Believe it or not, this site helped me become a more social person in general. Back when I first joined, I was naive, rude, and silly, not to mention fairly antisocial. Needless to say, today I'm a whole new person, and I have to thank PC for some of that change.

What do you guys do?
What do I do in particular? Well, it helps that I moderate a section on the site, so that's something, haha. Aside from that, it's like I said earlier. I look at people interact and interact with said people myself. It's really fun!

Every damn day. Hah.

Years
I always wanted to be part of a community where I can speak with fellow Pokemon fans, because I have no real-life friends who like Pokemon. Not to mention how friendly you guys are! I love talking and online stuff and PC combines the two.

I used to be so snarky and mean, and joining this community changed me a lot. Even moreso after I was Supportered in October 2012. I also learned how to become social, help people out with the games and even become a competitive battler.

What do you guys do?
Mostly interacting with members, including welcoming those who are new. The sections I'm probably most active in are: The Welcome Lounge, Fifth/Fourth Generation Gaming, Pokemon Gaming Central, Pokemon Clubs, Chit Chat & Polls (this section duh) and Forum Games.

Every day lol, I even got an emblem for it because PC is well, my life.

Years
  • Seen May 12, 2013
Just another question.
Do you think the forum would exist without members like you or do you think the members are key to influencing the way things are ran in the forum and to its existence?

droomph

weeb
Years
Just another question.
Do you think the forum would exist without members like you or do you think the members are key to influencing the way things are ran in the forum and to its existence?

Oh, I think it's the leaders. I hear a lot of stories of members coming here and staying because we're the only forum that would accept them. So it's really just a matter of professional-acting members being chosen to lead the forums, and they set an example to all the old members how to treat newbies.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Its become a habit after being active here for so long and I've grown addicted to it. I enjoy a handful or two of people here, but the overwhelming majority of the member-base I don't care for. Sounds terrible, but I'm only being honest. I question their priorities and why things around here that are so important to them are so important.

I would have said it's a good way to cure boredom, but there are better ways than sitting at the computer. I did, however, gain a lot of leadership skills after being here as a moderator and a super moderator, and I think I can manage people easier than I could before I came here. It has improved my social skills and helped me in social situations as well.

What do you guys do?
I post when I'm bored, so I cure my boredom.

Whenever I'm home and I'm not doing anything else.

I think the forum would do fine if I wasn't a member here, but if members like me weren't here? I don't think it would be where it is today. I don't think the members are the key to influencing the way things are ran around here, but I do think they're a key to its existence.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
To answer the other question:

I think the forum would be doing fine if I didn't join, but without a good member based and structure I don't think this forum would be a big as it is today. The members are one of the keys of it's influence but it's not the most important one, like Patchisou Yutohru somewhat mentioned.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I'm not entirely sure how to answer this question. Perhaps because I lack the optimism to actually go outside and mingle with my peers for socialization? I do leave the house, more often than not, so I don't think that entirely satisfies the question. Perhaps because over the years, I've grown attached to the people here and, by extension, the forum itself. I may leave from time to time but I still find myself coming back without actually forcing myself to do so.

After a lot of lurking in what used to be Other Chat, I was overwhelmed with the amount of knowledge that most people here acquires. With words beyond my vocabulary here and there, it pursued me to study the English language harder. I am no word-wizard but compared to a year ago today, my vocabulary has flourished tenfold.

It also helps cure boredom, among other recreational activities that I have been participating in.

What do you guys do?
I post in threads mostly but I also have conversations with a few people I've met here over the years.

Not as much as I used to. Usually every time I am in-front of a computer, which is normally a few hours a day--3 hours tops.

Having contributed almost nothing to the advancement of the forum itself I can safely say that even without me, this forum would likely exist. However, without people like me (those who engage in a few conversations and posts in threads that they find interesting), I don't think the forum would have as much activity as it does today. To be honest, the forum is not quite active as it was three years ago.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Hello Uniresearcher I hope I am not too late to answer your lovely thread!!!

Stress relief!!! Sometimes people do stupid things on here that counteract the reason as to why I use this forum, but I post her anyway because it's a good way to calm down after a long and drudging day at the office. It's also because I have been here for so long too, and internet habits are simply hard to break, lol.
Also, I get to use nice pretty signatures and express myself in a way that say, Tumblr, cannot! I like having a signature!!!!

sex drugs and alcohol

What do you guys do?

Post!!!! Argue!!! Like posts!!!! Have conversations!!! Interact!!! Gossip!!! Waste time that could be put to far better use, such as studying or working out or pursuing a rich and engaging social life in the real world!!!

Daily!!!!!!!!!! I have a serious problem!!!!!

There are no members like me (well, there's Shining Raichu, but Andy might as well be dead at this point) running around this forum, so I daresay that PC would be in dire trouble if I suddenly disappeared from existence. Some powerful and utterly delightful members on here would/will disagree with me when I say this, but there needs to be more members like me on this website. Y'know, realistic people. Interesting people.

Back