• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Anime Contract Challenge 2018: Sign up for round 6!

pkmin3033

I'm giving you sci-fi. You can have AKB0048 or Terra e... depending on your mood.
I'll go with the latter; I tried the former a while back and couldn't really get on with it. I've never even heard of Terra e, so should be interesting.

You can choose between Vividred Operation and Death Parade~

Years
Funnily enough I've started both of those shows but decided to wait for bluray versions (for slightly different reasons). Will probably enjoy whichever one I watch.

I loved AKB. I liked them from the off but they were more about payoff or finales. I love the Macross series too though, so maybe his stuff just clicks with me.

pkmin3033

OK...then you can choose between Noein and Sailor Moon Crystal. Pretty sure both of those have bluray versions at this point. xD;

Already watched the first episode of Terra e. It seems...interesting. Although god almighty, that animation. I found a dub as well, which is nice...kind of. The sound quality isn't too great. Going to stick with it, though.

Years
Oh that's not what I was getting at. They have bds now, I'd just forgotten about them. I'll most likely be going with Death Parade.

It has it's flaws but Terra e is absolutely an under watched gem (both series and 1980 film). I can only assume it suffered from airing in such a monster season.

pkmin3033

Ohhh, my mistake. Nevermind then, stick with Death Parade. xD

That is a pretty monster season...I didn't really start watching anime in earnest until around 2009 or so either, so it's not a surprise I've never heard of it.

Years
Spoiler:

You have roughly a week left guys.

Years
I got KonoSuba which was on my to-watch list for a long time, so I binge-watched it few days ago. Not sure if it was what I expected it to be, but I enjoyed it.

Years
I got Speed Grapher, and not going to lie I've only gotten through two episodes. I'm not really expecting I'll go much further. The animation and soundtrack are average and so far the story and characters are completely lacklustre. It seems to be one of those shows that relies on shock value to make up for any actual content.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I got Speed Grapher, and not going to lie I've only gotten through two episodes. I'm not really expecting I'll go much further. The animation and soundtrack are average and so far the story and characters are completely lacklustre. It seems to be one of those shows that relies on shock value to make up for any actual content.

I could not disagree with you more.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
To each their own then. I might come back to it later and see if I can push through the early episodes to when the plot starts picking up maybe. For now though, can't say I liked it.

I literally never say this about anime, but it's different in Speed Grapher's case: the English dub actually adds a lot more to it, IE, it's better.

The Japanese version is a bit flat, apart from the war flashbacks that are all in English, Wvhch is pretty memorable.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Speed grapher definitely gets better with time.

I wrapped up Noragami Aragato a couple of days ago. I enjoyed it, but... I'm not sure that it actually needed the whole second season to show what was left. It felt quite sluggish to me at various points. The same amount of information could have probably gotten across and been presented better in one or two movies.

Years
I've not seen Speed Grapher yet but somebody I trust a lot with anime loves it so it's probably good.

Finished Death Parade last night and in general it was pretty tight. Felt like it missing an arc at the end though, something to show if the Decim experiment pays off and if any sort of reform comes from it. It did seem to be building towards something more than just a cute smile.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

Ohohoh. Ohoh. Yeah, basically.

Speed Grapher was one of two shows I watched when I was younger just add some random shows to my repertoire. To its credit, it's villain is pretty good mostly thanks to the sympathy that the viewer will feel towards them. As far as dub vs. sub goes, IIRC I watched it dubbed and the camp gay landlord was easily my favorite thing about it, otherwise I don't know that it's substantially better/worse but, honestly, the show isn't really that substance filled to begin with, you weren't exactly missing much. Especially with that ending that I'm sure the writer thought was deeper than it was.

That said, gun girl is easily the best character in the show. The lengths she goes to to get some dick are hilarious and it was always pretty enjoyable to watch because of that, especially as it progressed. Only other thing you missed out on was the second ending theme since show's endings are both pretty stellar, both in artwork and in song, and I still listen to them. It's good stuff.

Finished Death Parade last night and in general it was pretty tight. Felt like it missing an arc at the end though, something to show if the Decim experiment pays off and if any sort of reform comes from it. It did seem to be building towards something more than just a cute smile.
If you ever get around to it, be sure to watch Death Billiards. It's a one-shot OVA that works as a sort of pilot to the series (I believe it was made for a film festival a few years before the show's release), and it's absolutely fantastic. Fits right into the middle-ish of the series and, if it'd been in the show, would've been the best episode by far and away, I think, anyways.

Give it a look if you're still interested, it gives some context to a few things that happen near the end, which is pretty cool in hindsight.

pkmin3033

I've watched three episodes of Terra e...I've been kinda busy. I'll make it my next month's target too. I found it dubbed, which was nice, and it interested me enough that I at least feel bad about not having time for it at the moment. xD;

GanguEevee

~Calamity Trigger~
Years
Sorry for not responding in a while! When Regents is coming very soon and you basically have to do Regents prep in certain classes in addition to it being really hot...yeah. I was able to watch at least one episode of High School Fleet and even though it was just one, I think I'm already pretty interested in it.

First thing that made me interested was how this series was advertised...it was basically being advertised as seemingly as a 'cute girls doing cute things' anime...even though it was an anime about a crew of cute young military high school girls doing battleship combat all the while trying to survive. In fact, these quotes from TV Tropes can tell you a whole lot more than I could:

'Promotional material made a point of avoiding ever suggesting that warships might be involved in any way. to the point of only ever calling the series "Hai-Furi" and even creating a different logo for promotional purposes. To show just how deep the bait-and-switch went, the production released a pre-air Drama CD featuring Mike and Moka, intimating that the two childhood friends would be in the same class together. Then Episode 1 rolls around, and its revealed that not only are the two not in the same class, they're not even assigned to the same ship. The bait-and-switch went even further when some promotional facade posters not depicting any ship were replaced the very day Episode 1 aired by new posters that did depict the ships.'

Seriously. That's fucking insane. It's still actually pretty popular, but still. The second thing that made me pretty interested while watching was that the entire main crew of the series all have unique designs and personalities. Yeah, not all of them are gonna have a lot of screen-time with the exception of the main part of the crew, but that's still cool. I do want to talk more about this, but I want to get this thing out quick. Again, sorry for not saying anything until now.

Oh, and I want in for June too. Vacation next month, anime every day hooo!

doge

???
Years
I remember watching the first episode of Pop Team Epic back when it first launched and I wasn't exactly encouraged to watch more. I've gotten to the halfway point of the show this time around, although I've primarily been only watching the first broadcasts. It's definitely more interesting in that I haven't felt bored yet while watching it and it's gotten a laugh out of me a few times already, the shogi scene, in particular, comes to mind.

I'm looking forward to what the second half of it brings. I'm also slightly less confused as to why a friend of mine that hasn't watched much anime aside from Jojo dubs and Pokemon ended up liking the show so much.

Last edited:
Years
Spoiler:

Time for the next round. Any takers?

Back