• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shiny treatment!

Altair1

Willpower
Years
When you manage to encounter/hatch a shiny Pokemon and obtain it, what do you do with it? Do you automatically put it on your team? Or perhaps offer it in the trade corner for something you desire? or if you're like me, put it in a box named 'Shiny' and never use it. I see them as trophies.

How do you handle your shinies?

Virgilin

Salmon Fishing in Vulcan
Years
Woah the resort area sounds ideal! xD
But for me, I just trade them for other pokes that I need, unless they are the shinies of the pokemon that I love! In that case I just box them.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Not much of a big deal. I use them like any other normal pokemon. Competitions, Parents for breeding, HM slaves, lol. Doesn't matter.

Now if someone starts to showoff some of his shinies, then i'd be ready for mine as well.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I just box them - they get their own box, labeled "Shiny".

The first shiny I caught was a Zubat on Fire Red, and it's the only one I used. The next few were all either terrible stats or pokemon I wasn't interested in using, so I just boxed them, and got into that habit. The only one since that I've done anything with was a Swadloon on Black. I carried it around and got it massages and stuff until its friendship was high enough, then fed it a Rare Candy so it would evolve to Leavanny. I've got a vague plan to use it in the Musical Theater, but I haven't actually done it.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Shiny Pokemon get the very best treatment Sinnoh's resort area can offer, relaxing massages, grooming, hair styling, caviar for lunch, you know, the pamper treatment :D

They deserve it for appearing to us lucky players! ;P

One thing I forgot to mention, apart from boxing my shinies in a PC dedicated to them, I try and obtain every single ribbon in the game on those certain Pokemon and max out their happiness.
I only have one at the moment, a Wooper on Diamond. I KO'd a Steelix last week on Platinum though, with a critical hit... Garchomp was just as excited to see a gold Steelix as I was apparently haha!

Years
Of the small handful of shinies that I've caught, I at least make an effort to work them into my current party, unless I'm too far ahead in the game (the most recent example being a Shiny Ducklett that I caught just prior to taking on the Elite Four). The exception to this would be any of the standard shinies like Gyarados in Johto or Haxorus in B2/W2- I usually just box these Pokemon, since they aren't really that special.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
So far I only have encountered 1 shiny - female Mienfoo level 39, when I caught I wanted her to be part of the team, sadly I already had my full team set up, and already attached to them, so she didn't fit in with the team. I encountered her the rest of my team (in Black 2) where in their mid to high 60's, it would have taken too long to her up in levels. So for a few days she went to the PC box.

That same week I caught her, I bought a new copy of Pokemon White 2 and played a special challenge I had been wanting to play, my "All Mustelid Team" - all 6 Pokemon in some way had to be related to weasels, ferrets, otters, or martens to be included in the team. She is now the leader of that team. A level 62 shiny Mienshao (rest of the team are all around the low to mid 50's). At the moment in that game we are getting ready to take on Ghetsis.

The only thing that makes her special to me is that Mienfoo & Mienshao are one of my top 5 favorite Pokemon in the world. So you could imagine me jumping up and down with joy for about an hour after catching her - 1st shiny in my life and it had to be one of my favorite Pokemon (imagine yourself in the same situation, encountering your favorite Pokemon as a shiny).... finally I had a reason to use my Master Ball, as I fear that any hit from my other Pokemon would make her faint in one hit

Sorry I tried to keep it short - since catching her in early February, I have not encountered another shiny again. I just wonder what my next shiny will be, really hoping for a shiny Patrat or Watchog.
In brief: Caught - Nicknamed - Transfered to PC Box - Transfered over to White 2 - Leader of team in White 2

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Most of the shinies I've caught are species I already caught beforehand. I let them sit in the PC for the most part, but the only one I actually used was Blissey in Platinum.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
My shiny Pokemon are boxed immediately and will later be cloned for my trade shop. I do have a bit of an attachment to them, but the only shiny I've ever used in my team was a Chikorita on HG version. I still regret not leaving it UT for the shop.

Even if it's not a species I like, if I hunted and caught a shiny of it (even if it isn't what I was looking for), it grows on me. Chikorita was the only shiny I didn't want out of the Gen II starters. Now I have two (combination of good and bad luck in SRing) and they aren't so bad. Not my favorite Pokemon, but still.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Depends on when I catch it. If I caught it while I'm still building my team or missing a team member then I will use that Pokemon as a team member and possibly replace one of my other team members with it. But if it happens post-game or something then I'll box it in the PC, maybe level it up a bit and evolve it, and come up with some use for it sometime in the future. When you I'm never really sure. Because of that I've only used one shiny (Random Encounter one that is) on a team and that is the Shiny Poochyena I found in Emerald while trekking back to face Norman.

Oh and a Shiny Magby on Crystal when I was doing a challenge but I kind of SR'd for that one.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I've never used a shiny Pokemon in any of my teams before (not counting the shiny Gyarados of the Lake of Rage) because I already had a team planned in mind and that shiny just didn't fit in the plan. It gets a special box of its own though, so it's left sitting there all alone like a trophy. If the shiny so happened to be something that fits in my team plan, it'll immediately get a place of honour on my Pokeball belt.

Years
Theyre always in the team. Especially my shiny Aggron, James and my shiny Jolteon, Bolt. I love those two but i have too many shinies to have them all in my team. But there is always at least one in my team.

Years
I box them, they need to be protected! Also, since I have only found them on Sapphire and Emerald, I clone the HECK out of them! My favorite out of all the ones I have caught(I think it's three), would HAVE to be the shiny Zigzagoon on my 'little sister's Sapphire. i have cloned him so many times.. My other two are Marill on Emerald, and Ratticate on FireRed. I don't like to talk about Ratticate much(why was my younger self so stupid?!), but Marill I do. So before I had a copy of Emerald of my own, I borrowed my cousins to play. Needless to say, I think I beat the Elite Four, but if not, at LEAST all the gyms. I had Torchic for a starter, and desperately needed help on Roxanne. I searched for a Marill, high, and low. And when I found one,(Slightly changed quote coming up..I'm sorry..)"The Marill is unnaturally, GREEN!"..I'm sorry, couldn't help it. It helped me a LOT, and it evolved into a lovely golden Azumarill. Aaaannnd I cloned the heck out of it. End of story.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2024
If I really like the colouring (Ponyta with blue fire? Yes please!) I'll use them in one of my parties. Otherwise I'll either box them or trade them to someone who wants it and catch a normal version of the Pokemon.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Every time I encounter a Shiny, I calm myself down (Ha.) and then use the utmost care while damaging and catching it. Usually I start off with Quick Ball (which has had 100% catch rate for every shiny I've encountered and captured.) with the exception of the Shiny Bronzor I captured in Pearl early game.

From there they are placed in my designated Shiny Box in the PC.

My first shiny: Sunkern (SoulSilver)
My last shiny: Bronzor (Pearl)

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 6, 2024
I also have a box specially for them, but in platinum, with the pokeradar i'm thinking of making more boxes for them; i usually like to lvl them to 100 and evolve them, even if i'm not using them for competitive battling, i just like to have them outside during gameplay and at least use them in the elite four to have at least 1 shiny in the hall of fame.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
In the 2nd gen, I trained my shinies (Beedrill, odd egg hatchlings like Igglybuff and Elekid, and whatever I got through the box glitch). In the 3rd/4th gen, I boxed them or cloned them first before training. Well, I only really trained those that had good natures and abilities, anyways. Oh, I did chain a shiny Buizel in Pearl and used it in my Platinum run. In the 5th gen, I only found one random shiny; since I found my Cottonee a few hours after buying the game, I used her in my in-game team.

Years
I mostly box my shinies after I get them. They normally don't get any use on my team. I have caught quite a few over my Pokemon gaming career, although most were species I didn't like much.

Back