• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen One cool fact

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Share one cool fact about these four amazing games in every post you make in this thread. :) Can be something simple like a cool move something learns, when the games were announced, who designed a character - things like that. One cool fact per post please! Let's learn more about these games!

Alleos was mentioned as the region name within some of the pre-release demo events in the UK! Turns out they were wrong and the region became Unova.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
PETA released a parody game of Black/White called "Pokemon: Black and Blue."

It can probably still be found through google, but idk if it's still playable.

I also read somewhere else that Team Plasma might have been inspired by PETA.

Last edited:
Years
Oh goody goody gumdrops! This is my kind of thread!

Fun Fact: Junichi Masuda revealed some fascinating pieces of trivia about the enigmatic King of Team Plasma N in his blog post on the anniversary of BW back in 2011.

https://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir_english/category.php?cat=5

This is a very interesting read if you like this character. While I thought I knew everything about N, one new thing that I took away from reading this was confirmation that N was psychic. Many of N's statements about futures that he has dreamt of or knowing what Pokemon are thinking can be interpreted as romantic and talking in metaphor. But Masuda in the above link stated clearly that he has the ability to divine the past and the future.

After hearing that I'm beginning to see some similarities between N and Sabrina. They both were raised in isolation and have mystery surrounding their childhood, both are very serious, seem to possess high i.q and are linked to math or science. Both are troubled and mistrust people. They both possess mysterious powers and feel they are set apart from others. Both of them dislike pokemon battles. Both even join evil teams depending on which canon you follow.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Cool stuff. :)

Black and White got perfect scores from Famitsu. At the time this was a MASSIVE deal. Still massive even now!

Years
There is an npc to battle outside of the Rock Tunnel in Kanto in first gen and its remake. The lass wishes for more Pokemon and says that "There should be apink one with a floral pattern."

It is a relatively well-known easter egg but still cool that her dreams were realized in Generation 5. Game Freak gave us Munna. A cuddly, pink Pokemon with a floral pattern just like the trainer asked for :)

Last edited:
Years
Speaking of the Golett line, some of you may already be aware that Golett and Golurk are based on a magical entities known as a golem. A golem in legend is a figure molded from clay. It has characteristics of a giant. It can be made to move through the use of magic, but usually displays little consciousness. It will battle or carry out whatever task the person who controls the golem bids.

The name Golett is a word play on golem. This line of pokemon resembles depictions of golem in art. Its typing of ghost and ground really makes sense, ghost for the supernatural aspects of the golem and ground for the mud and clay used to construct it. Golurk is also a bulky Pokemon with high attack but slow speed and can have the ability klutz. I would imagine that this line is made that way because golem can be towering and powerful, but also sometimes described as slow, unformed and awkward when they move through our world.

That is not all though. There is a very specific legend known as the golem of Prague that the Golett line has made an allusion to, the strap across the pokemon's chest is associated with this golem in art. This is a story about a 16th century rabbi who called upon the powers a golem to defend the people of the city from oppression from the emperor.

Here are some links that speak about this in much more detail than I ever could.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2l7od_NRtUI

Explanation about Golurk begins at 2:00 but I think its worth watching the whole video myself. Same goes for the link below, but it begins at 4:25

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=01T4JGEU1ng

Years
Speaking of the Golett line, some of you may already be aware that Golett and Golurk are based on a magical entities known as a golem. A golem in legend is a figure molded from clay. It has characteristics of a giant. It can be made to move through the use of magic, but usually displays little consciousness. It will battle or carry out whatever task the person who controls the golem bids.

The name Golett is a word play on golem. This line of pokemon resembles depictions of golem in art. Its typing of ghost and ground really makes sense, ghost for the supernatural aspects of the golem and ground for the mud and clay used to construct it. Golurk is also a bulky Pokemon with high attack but slow speed and can have the ability klutz. I would imagine that this line is made that way because golem can be towering and powerful, but also sometimes described as slow, unformed and awkward when they move through our world.

That is not all though. There is a very specific legend known as the golem of Prague that the Golett line has made an allusion to, the strap across the pokemon's chest is associated with this golem in art. This is a story about a 16th century rabbi who called upon the powers a golem to defend the people of the city from oppression from the emperor.

Here are some links that speak about this in much more detail than I ever could.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2l7od_NRtUI

Explanation about Golurk begins at 2:00 but I think its worth watching the whole video myself. Same goes for the link below, but it begins at 4:25

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=01T4JGEU1ng

I live near Prague and this is one of the reasons why is 5th gen my favourite.

Also... Darumaka is designed after a Daruma doll, both having similar markings and neither being able to be laid out on their sides. Also when Darumaka's resting, it resembles Daruma doll.

7508.jpg

Years
I love reading everyone's posts here!

I had heard of this glitch before, but this is the first time I watched a video of a player who had triggered it. Its epic, yet spooky too. In Japanese versions of BW2 sometimes a second N appears in the ruins of castle. One N just stands still like a ghost while the other follows wherever you go and won't let you leave. This is like a story on CreepsMcPasta's channel come to life.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KBkxYmLNQCA

Years
Scrafty's Japanese name, Zuruzukin was the last Japanese Pokemon name alphabetically. Zweilous was also the last English Pokemon name alphabetically.

Sadly come 6th Gen, they both lost that spot to Zygarde whose name is the same in all languages.

Years
Yesterday I did some research on my favorite Unova starter Serperior for a fanfiction, and I wanted to share some of the specifics I have learned about Serperior's design influences here.

Serperior is associated with royalty. The scales on Serperior's body are gold like a king would wear. Many fans have recognized that tthe patterns on his skin are also shaped like fleur-des-lis, the iconic symbol of the Virgin Mary used in the coat of arms of noble families throughout Europe and the monarchy to demonstrate their divine blood. There is also acanthus-like foliage decorating Serperior, a plant that embodied the grandeuer of the ancient Romans and power of Emperor Augustus himself.

Ken Sugmimori has mentioned the art style and era of the Rose of Versailles (one of my favorite animes) specifically as a design focus for Serperior. According to Bulbapedia Serperior is likely making a direct link to Louis the 14th "the sun king" as evidenced by its Black pokedex entry, which describes how Serperior takes in sunlight to make himself stronger. I think the fact that Serperior can learn mirror coat, literally shining back his opponent's attack in their face, may also support this.

Serperior has a pale face as a nod to the white powder that men and women covered their skin and wigs with up until the French revolution. The coloration of Serperior's body also looks similar to Paris green, a highly saught-after dye used in the regency era, though toxic like the lead makeup, showcasing the pokemon's decadence.

I found some equally interesting information about Samurott and Emboar that I would love to post here. I don't think I can include it right now since I just covered some of the cultural origins of Serperior and the limit is one fact per post, but my next one will definitely be about them.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
The eelektrik line, one of my faves, is based on three different fishes. Tynamo is an eel larva, which are leaf-shaped and called leptocephali. Eels live in coastal and inland waters, but when they mature they swim out to the ocean to breed and then die. The eggs hatch into the larva who drift along the current and grow out, turning into little eels by the time they reach the shore. However, Eelektrik and Eelektross' wide, gaping jawless mouth is based on the lamprey, which is not closely related to the eel. There is another fish called the electric eel, which is not related to either the lamprey or the eel, that lives in South america. It can produce electric discharges to stun or kill prey.

Speaking of fish, I love that in Unova you can fish pokemon that only evolve by trade, such as Milotic, Huntail or Gorebyss (all three of which are also somewhat eel-shaped, possibly based on moray eels, king-of-herring fish, or legendary sea serpents), Kingdra and Politoed. I usually don't have trading partners for the older games so it's great to catch these awesome water types. Can you tell I love fish?

Years
Just as Serperior's origins are deeply French, all of the Unova staters were designed with strong cultural history references. Ken Sugimori confirms that Emboar is Chinese-inspired. There are multiple figures in Chinese art, literature and religion that seem to have influenced this evolutionary line from the 14th century classic the Romance of the Three Kingdoms to the Boar/ Pig of the Chinese New Year. One noteable example is Zhu Bajie, a trickster pig from the story Journey to the West. As would befit a fighting type pokemon Zhu Bajie was an admiral in heaven who commanded 80,000 soldiers. His fault was his recklesses-- interesting reckless is Emboar's hidden ability. He lusted after the Goddess of the Moon Chang'O and was reincarnated as a mortal for his passion. Zhu Bajie fell into a pig well, which changed him from a human to half man and half pig. As a fire type Emboar is weak to water, which is what disfigured Zhu Bajie. This tale also helped me to understand why Tepig changed from quadraped to biped when he evolved!

I got the goods on Samurott too, but only one 5th gen fact allowed per post.tsk. tsk...maybe next time.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Alder's Pokemon World Tournament team is significantly different to his Champion team. Along with his signature Pokemon Volcarona he has:

- Pokemon representing each member of the Elite Four. Krookodile, Chandelure, Reuniclus and Conkeldurr.
- A Braviary representing the America like Unova Region as a whole.

Years
Promised I would cover origins for all three Unova Starters. Here's Samurott, the one with the most traditional Japanese influences of the 3. Samurott is a warrior, the word Samurai is in its English name and he has a heavily armored appearance to reinforce this reference. Not only does this pokemon wear a helmet, but there are shells on its legs that resemble suneate leg guards typically associated with the samurai of Japan. His shells are called "seamitars" to form a pun on "sea" referencing his water typing, and the scimitar, a hook-shaped blade originating from the middle east.

I had been confused as to why Samurott went from bipedal to a quadruped until I heard that the plates on his fur were called seamitars, then the reference became clear to me immediately. Scimitars were often wielded on horseback, so it makes sense that he's down all on fours like a horse as he reaches his most advanced stage. The Samurai also fired bows at their opponents from horseback. There are several pokedex entries that reference Samurott removing his seamitars to launch them in battle. The pokemon's tail is also shaped like a war fan.

Last edited:
Back