• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Thought on bad eggs

XpokeX

I'm a ninja and im..... gone
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 8, 2023
Hey guys,this is one of my first posts and wonder if anyone here have gotten the case of mystery/bad eggs in their game?i read about it and got pretty scared of wonder trading so is this actually true?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
As far as I'm aware, bad eggs never hatch and turn all Pokémon in your PC (within the same box) into eggs as well. Not exactly sure if this real; it might be fake. I don't think eggs could be traded over Wonder Trade, though, so no need to worry too much. :)

overdid

queen
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016
"This glitch is in need of research."

"Occasionally, a player will randomly find an Egg that appears in the Pokémon Storage System with its data set as being obtained from the Mystery Zone at 0/0/2000.[1][2] These Eggs appear as an anti-cheating measure. The checksum data from the game becomes corrupted and causes the glitch to occur. These Eggs duplicate after an unspecified amount of time, and will also replace Pokémon in the box until the entire box is filled with these Mystery Eggs, much like the Bad Eggs of previous generations. If the Eggs are selected, the player's save file can become corrupted or deleted."

- Bulbapedia (sorry, can't post links under 15 post (for source))

I enjoy Wonder Trading because of hidden ability Pokemon, to fill the Pokedex and mainly because of the Pokemiles it gives for PP Up.

I hope this will get sorted out soon, and that Nintendo will make a patch to fix it.

XpokeX

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 8, 2023
Some person said that the mystery eggs have reached the GTS as well o.O hope this gets fixed sooner.

Phangy

Master
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
eggs cannot be traded through wonder trade or gts, only direct play trades, the 'bad eggs' are pokemon that turn into an egg, it's rare that it happens, but if it does, don't touch it and move all your pokemon from that box. Nothings else you can do, and you can't prevent it from happening unfortunately. I haven't heard of it happening recently though, i would hope nintendo would have a fix for such a thing in one of the updates.

Shhmew

Years
I have never heard of someone receiving a bad egg through wonder trading. In fact, the only case of receiving a "Mystery Zone" egg that I heard of (which by the way was a while ago), he said the egg appeared in his box randomly, not through wonder trade. He started his game over and it was still in his box, so I'd assume it was a strange problem with his game, or the SD card, or something.

Regardless, don't be afraid of wonder trading, it's perfectly safe [:

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
All i can recommend is if you get a bad egg.

1. Thanks to Pokemon Bank, stick it into a box if it lets you. get it out of your game rather than sticking it into a box alone..

2. if you can't get rid of it through the bank.. just go ahead and segregate it from any box with Pokemon you care about or in the middle of a box all by itself.

3. this may seem cruel, but open a trade with a random passerby and trade them the egg.

4. Find someone on the forums who is planning to restart their adventure and ask if they are willing to take the egg to destroy it when they wipe their game.

5. or if none of the solutions above are viable, Restart your own adventure :P

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
considering when you run a google search on pokemon bad eggs, and the first couple pages consist entirely of screen shots from R/S/E/Fr/Lg or people's drawings, I wouldn't be too worried about it happening in current gen games. (not that it CAN'T happen, just not that its something you have to worry about every time you turn on your game or interact with another person)

And really, weren't bad eggs a result of badly hacked pokemon in the gen 3 games? Not just random occurrences (This is speaking from personal experience, I did use hacking devices in gen 3 games and produced a few bad eggs till I figured out what I was doing.)

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
considering when you run a google search on pokemon bad eggs, and the first couple pages consist entirely of screen shots from R/S/E/Fr/Lg or people's drawings, I wouldn't be too worried about it happening in current gen games. (not that it CAN'T happen, just not that its something you have to worry about every time you turn on your game or interact with another person)

And really, weren't bad eggs a result of badly hacked pokemon in the gen 3 games? Not just random occurrences (This is speaking from personal experience, I did use hacking devices in gen 3 games and produced a few bad eggs till I figured out what I was doing.)

Actually they do exist in 6th gen, there's vids on youtube of people with it, even individuals who got it as soon as within 2 days after the release date of X&Y (before any hacks existed). Also some individuals do get them from Wondertrade, the theory is it's caused by soem random trash data/failed checksum (extra data) as the result of trading or the other theory is a corrupt game cartridge (which can explain why some individuals got it as soon as they began playing, before the 2nd gym. Also they don't necessarily duplicate, rather the conditions that caused one to appear, still exist, so basically it's just a new egg, so it can be easily mistaken as the original one duplicating.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
I received an Egg through Wonder Trade, so unless there's been some patch since then (this was back in December), Eggs can definitely be Wonder Traded. Luckily it hatched into a perfectly normal Trapinch. Although I was very disappointed when it hatched lol.

All i can recommend is if you get a bad egg.

1. Thanks to Pokemon Bank, stick it into a box if it lets you. get it out of your game rather than sticking it into a box alone..

2. if you can't get rid of it through the bank.. just go ahead and segregate it from any box with Pokemon you care about or in the middle of a box all by itself.

3. this may seem cruel, but open a trade with a random passerby and trade them the egg.

4. Find someone on the forums who is planning to restart their adventure and ask if they are willing to take the egg to destroy it when they wipe their game.

5. or if none of the solutions above are viable, Restart your own adventure :P

Whatever you do, DO NOT follow this advice if you get a Bad Egg. Interacting with it in any way can corrupt your entire save file, so the best thing to do is to move all other Pokemon in its box to a different one.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
I received an Egg through Wonder Trade, so unless there's been some patch since then (this was back in December), Eggs can definitely be Wonder Traded. Luckily it hatched into a perfectly normal Trapinch. Although I was very disappointed when it hatched lol.

Whatever you do, DO NOT follow this advice if you get a Bad Egg. Interacting with it in any way can corrupt your entire save file, so the best thing to do is to move all other Pokemon in its box to a different one.

I dont' know how you received an egg through wonder trade since you haven't ever been able to send eggs through wonder trade (And I'm speaking since Oct 22, 2013 when someone was trading directly with me through trade and of the pokemon they were showing me, one was an egg, so I tried to wonder trade an egg as soon as I could and EVERY time I try the game ALWAYS says "You can't offer an egg for trade." both through wonder trade and through the GTS, so I think receiving an egg through wonder trade is as likely as the people who say they received a Mega Stone through wonder trade.

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
I dont' know how you received an egg through wonder trade since you haven't ever been able to send eggs through wonder trade (And I'm speaking since Oct 22, 2013 when someone was trading directly with me through trade and of the pokemon they were showing me, one was an egg, so I tried to wonder trade an egg as soon as I could and EVERY time I try the game ALWAYS says "You can't offer an egg for trade." both through wonder trade and through the GTS, so I think receiving an egg through wonder trade is as likely as the people who say they received a Mega Stone through wonder trade.

I've traded many eggs before. eggs are tradeable in person to person trade, of course not on wonder trade or gts. but normal eggs have absolutely no relation to a bad egg other than the similar appearance. Anyways, you get Bad Eggs on wondertrade as an extra hidden surprise in your PC boxes, you of course get the pokemon it showed you receive in the trade as well.

here's something a bit more informative about bad/mystery eggs in gen VI:

"Mystery Egg" appears to be (the product of) an error handler for invalid Pokemon data, in much the same way that Generation I's "MISSINGNO." name was (the product of) an error handler for Pokemon species that had zero-length names. The "Mystery Egg" error handler exists in order to handle invalid Pokemon data -- to supply various parts of the game engine with valid data, so that things don't break.

Accordingly, it seems reasonable to assume that Mystery Eggs can never hatch, or that they will simply hatch into other Mystery Eggs (akin to Species 253 in Generation II). If they are intended as error handlers and safe wrappers for invalid data, then why would they hatch into anything else?

Mystery Eggs appear to have been acquired from the "Mystery Zone" on "0/0/2000". This is likely because the relevant data is either null (zero), or is being treated as null by the "Mystery Egg" event handler. "Mystery Zone" is yet another error handler: a placeholder name given to maps and locations that don't have their own names. You could therefore read the Egg's origin as: "obtained from nowhere on never."

So if Mystery Eggs are simply safe wrappers for invalid data, then why would they multiply? Well, on a stable and undamaged copy of the game, they wouldn't. The most likely explanation is that some individuals have damaged copies of Pokemon X and Y that are creating invalid Pokemon in the PC, likely by mistaking empty PC slots for filled ones. The parts of the game that are still functioning properly catch the resulting invalid Pokemon and handle them as Mystery Eggs.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016

Weird... I'm fairly certain it was a Wonder Trade since I don't really ever do direct trades, and when I do it's shiny for shiny. I remember it was a French one, so it was called "Oeuf". I guess it's possible that I was feeling generous after trading for a shiny and decided to give away one of my IV-bred Pokemon for an Egg. I've done some giveaways like that in the past.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
I've traded many eggs before. eggs are tradeable in person to person trade, of course not on wonder trade or gts. but normal eggs have absolutely no relation to a bad egg other than the similar appearance. Anyways, you get Bad Eggs on wondertrade as an extra hidden surprise in your PC boxes, you of course get the pokemon it showed you receive in the trade as well.

No offence but are you just not reading the posts of mine you're quoting? I never said you couldn't trade eggs at all, I just said you can't trade them not he GTS or Wonder Trade. In addition, I never said bad eggs don't exist at all in gen 6, I said
not that it CAN'T happen, just not that its something you have to worry about every time you turn on your game or interact with another person

Sorry, it just seems you keep refuting what I didn't say with things i already said in the quote you're quoting.

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
No offence but are you just not reading the posts of mine you're quoting? I never said you couldn't trade eggs at all, I just said you can't trade them not he GTS or Wonder Trade. In addition, I never said bad eggs don't exist at all in gen 6, I said

Sorry, it just seems you keep refuting what I didn't say with things i already said in the quote you're quoting.

probably misreading/skimming :P i am literally battling on Pokemon x and watching a youtube video at the same time, not to mention making the reply xD!

XpokeX

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 8, 2023
I guess different thoughts on it and based on what i know(so far)
You don't recieve them as eggs from wonder trade,they are legit pokemon that got kinda corrupted/failed in the process of the trade and turns into the mystery egg in the boxes.

And as what I discovered like howmander said,touching or interacting with the bad egg is not a good idea,as interaction with the egg can cause deletion/Glitching or corruption with the game.

When you get a bad egg it's a good idea to
1.quarantine it in its box
2.remove all pokemon in the box it was in and quarantine them in their own boxes as well
3.do not touch the bad egg as it can ruin your game

Phangy

Master
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
anyone else notice that we're all just repeating each other?

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
I'm pretty sure that bad egg is only in gen 3 anyway.

they exist in gen 6 and have been verified, there's even video as far back as October before hacking even existed for X&Y (below), only difference is they are called "Mystery Egg" now instead of "Bad Egg" due to their location in the stats window being Mystery Zone.

This video's from October 13th (person only owned the game for 1 day).

And a follow up video a month later of their experience with them (his personal bad eggs is probably due to a corrupt game cart):

Last edited:
Years

The theory of the gen 6 bad eggs is that they are received through wonder trade ( whether it is a super hack, or by unknown defect ) the first rumours about them was ppl urging others to not interact with egg received through WT because in the perfect server the WT will never let you trade eggs.
If it is true and its not a result of hacking, I'm assuming it is a case of bad luck and the opposite of the two Ds cloning method. With that method, turning one game off at the right time will result in a clone, if the bad egg is true and its not someone hacking I'm thinking it is due to a total connection drop at the perfect ( yet bad ) time, causing the data being sent to result in becoming trash data...
But that would mean that pokemon would have not so great servers... well poke bank, so it might be possible
But yea you're right, the standard is that no eggs can be sent through WT

Back