• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
Now the second version of the map.With the review you could tell me which one's better xD
Spoiler:
here kinda:
Spoiler:

I know u had another idea how to make them look good but if u would had used those tiles right it would had been looked better than with those black things(obvoiusly missin tile when u edited the block).
Well but overall it's not a really bad map it's quite nice just try to make it look more naturally , Or use gamefreak style.
map rating 7/10

Years
Review:So my 3rd review of this map:( i Think its interesting a bit empty, i dont like the yellow flowers and for 30mins its good :D
RATING:7/10

Now my Map
Map Name: Crysel Town
Map Game: My new hack, base FireRed
Comments: IT's a town i just made and decided to make a hack but i think it won't end up good xD

Spoiler:

@P-Sign i didn't delete the random tiles cuz i 'm gonna insert some pokemon OW's

Now the second version of the map.With the review you could tell me which one's better xD
Spoiler:

Aside from the little black parts that are visible, one thing I will mention is the cave. Regardless to where the cave is coming from, you'd need to add another layer of mountain over that. Realistically, the player would be scraping their head off the roof of the cave, the way it is. (This is really reminiscint of one of Abnegation's ratings on a map :D). Overall, I think the layout of the map is quite nice, and not overly empty. The inclusion of NPCs (as of course there would be) would fit nicely. However, the wild grass for eye-candy's sake.. I'm not too big on that, personally. It's not too big a deal, though, as generally the map is quite nice. I give it 7/10. It loses a few marks for the cave and the long grass (based on my opinion, obviously :) )

So, here's my map. I think this is the first one for me to post here.
Map Name: Route 4
Base ROM: Pokémon FireRed
Tile Credits: Wesley FG, 874521, I'm quite sure that's it.
Comments: Yes, it's Kanto's Route 4, remapped. My primary concern is that I'm overusing the flowers to compensate for what I fell is too much emptiness.
I'm also aware of the massive unused space towards the bottom that's just full of trees, but that's necessary, because of the path leading into the route.
It's pretty large (sorry), so spoilering:
Spoiler:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
So, here's my map. I think this is the first one for me to post here.
Map Name: Route 4
Base ROM: Pokémon FireRed
Tile Credits: Wesley FG, 874521, I'm quite sure that's it.
Comments: Yes, it's Kanto's Route 4, remapped. My primary concern is that I'm overusing the flowers to compensate for what I fell is too much emptiness.
I'm also aware of the massive unused space towards the bottom that's just full of trees, but that's necessary, because of the path leading into the route.
It's pretty large (sorry), so spoilering:
Spoiler:

I don't think you've overused the flowers, since I agree with your efforts to try and fill up the emptier parts of the map. To fill up this space I'd suggest using other tiles such as small trees (whether they are headbuttable or not) and small rocks. Route 4 is a mountainous route so I think that adding a few more rocks around the place would look nice, plus add to the idea that the terrain is quite rough. There is also quite a long section between the exit of Mt Moon and the connection to Cerulean that doesn't have any sort of sand/ dirt path - Once again, adding this will help put a variety into the area and make it seem less empty. While making the map feel less empty is a good thing, just make sure you don't make it to cluttered - At this point the map has good playability and it would be shame to see the player's movements impeeded in any significant way :)

Just to the left of the large grass patch closest to Cerulean's connection, one column of trees doesn't seem to fit with the others. This is the only instance in the entire map where a column of trees doesn't sync up with it's neighbours, so it is going against the tree-placement style you have set throughout the map.

Finally, I think that the mountain wall going immediately down and then to the right around the exit of Mt Moon is a bit too straight. I have absolutely no problem with mountains that seek to emulate a 'nintendo style', but I feel like this part need to be broken up a bit more.

Anyway, I think that this is a very nice revamp(?) of Route 4. I like the fact that you can get back to Mt Moon and you have given the player excellent maneuverability. Well done, gira :>

It's been a while since I put a map here, so I thought I'd get this one I made a few weeks ago reviewed.
Map Name: Fall Town
Base ROM: FireRed
Tile Credits: PrinceLegendario, kymotonian, lalo0101, BoOmxBiG, rhevarhe_duh, Dewitty, Alucus of Borg, Alistair, Calis Projects, minorthreat0987
Comments: I just did this for fun and to test out tiles, but criticise anything and everything related to mapping :D
Spoiler:

RedFan

Master Trainer
Years
It's been a while since I put a map here, so I thought I'd get this one I made a few weeks ago reviewed.
Tile Credits: PrinceLegendario, kymotonian, lalo0101, BoOmxBiG, rhevarhe_duh, Dewitty, Alucus of Borg, Alistair, Calis Projects, minorthreat0987
Comments: I just did this for fun and to test out tiles, but criticise anything and everything related to mapping :D
Spoiler:

The map is very interesting, almost perfect i would say, but, i don't really like that youre using only one type of house.You could of inserted a pokecenter, or at least a mart.
Rating:9/10

Now my map:
Map Game:Pokemon Firered hack
Map Name:Route 401
Comments:first route in my hack

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2012
Now my map:
Map Game:Pokemon Firered hack

Spoiler:
It's a nice-looking map, but it seems... cramped. There aren't any particularly large areas in it save the entrances, the tall grass is just all over the place, etc. Also, some of your normal grass is the same tile and looks too much like a line. Then again, if you're going to add new tiles, disregard that.

Game: Pokemon Fire Red
Map Name: Route 3
Comments: It's a desert.
Spoiler:

EDIT: The rocks have since been updated to an unused rock in the Rock Tunnel tileset. The ones here are just recolored regular ones :\

Last edited:

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
EDIT: The rocks have since been updated to an unused rock in the Rock Tunnel tileset. The ones here are just recolored regular ones :\

In my opinion, nice map. It looks very natural, which is something I really like in maps. If you recolored the mountains to a different palette, it'd look even more like a desert. Right now it looks more like a canyon. The small mountain by the top doesn't really need a staircase, either, in my opinion. You also have a small tile error in the bottom left. Other than that it looks pretty unique and very natural.

7-8/10. (Sorry, can't quote your image, I don't have 15 posts.)

Game: Fire Red (Pokemon Awesome is the title I gave it.)
Name: Smash Ville
Comments: This map is fully functional, in a game that's being released next Wednesday. Someone has already played it on a livestream and loved it. If you like the map, watch for the game's release.

Attachments

• Smash Ville.png
    Smash Ville.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
It's a nice-looking map, but it seems... cramped. There aren't any particularly large areas in it save the entrances, the tall grass is just all over the place, etc. Also, some of your normal grass is the same tile and looks too much like a line. Then again, if you're going to add new tiles, disregard that.

Spoiler:

desert's don't have grass between the start until the end.
and the mountains are on some parts really straight and don't give an natural feeling to it also u hvae a lot of tile errors and u used 1 tile paths that u have should avoided.
try to make the mountain shape MORE random and u will get a better map.
rating 6/10

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
RedFan
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji

Comments: I just did this for fun and to test out tiles, but criticise anything and everything related to mapping
Spoiler:
The map is very interesting, almost perfect i would say, but, i don't really like that youre using only one type of house.You could of inserted a pokecenter, or at least a mart.
Rating:9/10

Now my map:
Map Gameokemon Firered hack

Spoiler:
well first off over all its not bad for a dessert map i have to say that their is way to much grass as pokemon are in the dessert hmm the mountains are straight and very un natiral
other than those few errors its not bad at all 7/10

For my map
name route 001
base FR
credits calis project alucas
And
and
and
an..buja XD
anbuja (thanx :)
comeents i would like to ask for critisism and comments from you dont be shy to judge the tiles either :) thanx
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2012
For my map
name route 001
base FR
And
and
and
an..buja XD
comeents i would like to ask for critisism and comments from you dont be shy to judge the tiles either :) thanx
Spoiler:
I like it. It has a natural feel to it. Sadly, it is ridden with tile errors. The biggest one is on the left side of the path in the north with the mountain, and the tree bottoms look somewhat unnatural. Overall, 7/10 because otherwise it looks great.

Also, for those people who reviewed my map and said there was too much grass, it's based on the Sonoran Desert. See it?

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
well first off over all its not bad for a dessert map i have to say that their is way to much grass as pokemon are in the dessert hmm the mountains are straight and very un natiral
other than those few errors its not bad at all 7/10

For my map
name route 001
base FR
And
and
and
an..buja XD
Spoiler:
well this is a quite nice map or it is just the tiles i don;t know:P
seems i didnt insert them really good but and u arent very used to those tree but anyways its a map rating not tile rating.
it have a kinda natural feel not much but not very less....
try to make the trees more random and bring in the map like a way or organization and not only trees without any meaning of the placement.
______________________________-
heres my map:
hack:LoA
:map name: midekau city
description:te last town city u meet in LoA in the first beta here u will see the second gym leader in his medical center healing pokemons and u can challange her.
Spoiler:

credits:
booxbig , wesleyfg , ultimospriter

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
heres my map:
description:te last town city u meet in LoA in the first beta here u will see the second gym leader in his medical center healing pokemons and u can challange her.
Spoiler:

credits:

Alright, let's get crackin', shall we? There are a few things good and a few things bad about this map, in my mind.

This map has a nice, natural feel to it, which is what I'm assuming you were trying to make. I also think that it has a very nice variety of tiles (houses, grass, tress, etc. However, I believe that this map needs more structure and thought put into it. It seems that the scale is too large for this map, so you would be doing yourself a favor if you scaled everything back. For example, in the bottom area with the small pond, there is far too much walking path. If you kept path width to about 3 tiles wide/high, it would help keep everything looking more structured. Now that I'm looking at this more, I actually think that the top-left portion of the map is a good model of how the rest should look. The right side of the map deviates from that style and gets somewhat bloated and bleak, which I've already hinted at.

So, basically, my advice is to condense this map to give it a more structured feel. Perhaps trimming the blob of mountains and trees in the center of the map will help accomplish that.

I know some people just loooove ratings, so here you go: 4/10
It's very slightly below average in my mind.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's my map to be rated:

ROM Base: Red Version
Name: Route 1?
Comments: This is my first shot at mapping in Gen 1. It was a little tedious since I could only use a hex editor, but worth it! The player leaves the first city from the south and makes his/her way to the east exit.

I know it can be improved greatly, so the more reviews, the better!

borisjo

Scripter (XSE, pokescript)
Years
  • Seen May 16, 2016
Map rating

Comments: This is my first shot at mapping in Gen 1. It was a little tedious since I could only use a hex editor, but worth it! The player leaves the first city from the south and makes his/her way to the east exit.

I find it really hard to rate this.
I hack only FR and you have more variety in tiles to fill up the place then in Red.
So this looks very empty to me.
I don't know if you can add some other trees or more different tiles.
It has been a long time since I've played pokemon Red so I have no idea if you can improve this.
The other thing what bothers me is the grass that is tiled in squares! THATS UGLY! Make it more natural looking.
Besides that, it's just a descent route and well set-up so I'll rate this:
5/10

------
Moving on to my map:

I think there's no need to tell what ROM I used based on the tile set but it's FireRed. (For some reason I can't change the tile sets :S)
It's called: Rocky City. Pretty obvious, I had lack of inspiration :P
Comments: Your house is on the bottom left and you need to "work you way up". There's are a lot of events before you get out of town so you won't get bored :)
Don't look at the bottom part, that still needs to be done.
Rate and give tips please!

Attachments

• Hometown.png
    Hometown.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 94

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
I hack only FR and you have more variety in tiles to fill up the place then in Red.
It has been a long time since I've played pokemon Red so I have no idea if you can improve this.
The other thing what bothers me is the grass that is tiled in squares! THATS UGLY! Make it more natural looking.
5/10

------
Moving on to my map:

I think there's no need to tell what ROM I used based on the tile set but it's FireRed. (For some reason I can't change the tile sets :S)
Comments: Your house is on the bottom left and you need to "work you way up". There's are a lot of events before you get out of town so you won't get bored :)

there are so few trees in the town u should add some more.
also the mountains are very squary , and behind the biggest building is that leading to a route or what?
if not that u are able to go behind the pc and mart and will see the border errors.
and there are still some very empty spots where u could had added some tree's.
rating 5/10

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
I assume, from nothing in the rules contradicting, that I can rate maps that have already been rated?

icychill66;6752197 [I said:
Here's my map to be rated[/I]:

Rating: 6/10

First of all, love the basic layout. This looks really fun to play though. Now, unto my first issue--it looks sort of hollow. Now, I imagine that trainers and items will partially fill that up, but some sort of scenery--I don´t know, a travelling circus, a random fence with Pokemon corralled (maybe if a rare pokemon was corralled, like, Ponyta, then you could make that pokemon exclusive to this route) would really help. (I know those require trainer and Pokemon sprites, but I don´t think you may have something like that in mind.) Make these routes unique--help them stand out from the others. I have a few places where I would also change the map a little, maybe a small pond here, a ledge there (on a future route you could have a bait shop or something, just thought of that) or you could even progress the plot here with some event near the end of the route (or maybe at the beginning.) Actually, at this point I´m going off-topic, but you could have the core of the plot (if you don´t have it chosen already) start from here!
Other options include the entrance to an area you could reach later, like a forest. (Block it off with water!) All I can really suggest is to make this rote unique, give it character.

Moving on to my map:

5/10

Same thing with the previous route. It has great layout but it´s hollow. It doesn´t really seem "memorable", and for a much more advanced tileset than the original Red, I feel you could replicate it perfectly in Red. Like somebody else says, add more trees or other things (like my Pokemon corralled idea, small things count). It feels too "organized"--I feel the mountains are squarish. Give it something were somebody can say "Hey, isn´t that the city with the burned building?" or "Hey, isn´t that the city with the skyscrapers?"

(P.S You can only tile grass in squares in Red)

heres my map:
Spoiler:

credits:

YESS!!!!

9/10

Finally, IT LOOKS NATURAL!!!!!

It doesn´t look like it was made for a videogame; it looks like you took a scene from real life and implemented it in a game. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the "modern overtaken by nature" theme. However, it has a HUGE issue that needs to be fixed, and it´s the same one the other two had: How am I "wowed"? (Okay, I was excited, but I mean, what is there here that makes it different from any other city?)

Something the main games have that hacks lack is that there is more than "Pokemon Center, Gym". There are unique little features--sometimes simply aesthetic or useless--that make all the difference. Have a person that charges $10k Poke for a useless portrait!

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
borisjo
Scripter (XSE, pokescript)

Map rating
Quote:
Originally Posted by icychill66

5/10

------
Moving on to my map:

It's called: Rocky City. Pretty obvious, I had lack of inspiration
Comments: Your house is on the bottom left and you need to "work you way up". There's are a lot of events before you get out of town so you won't get bored
Attached Thumbnails

well its not that natural in my opnion its a decent map but needs improvement.. i would try your small trees have errors and so does the paths

5,5\10

my map
FR
No name
comments well just a map i made for fun its very crammped in my opinion...

town2.jpg

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
Years
The map's structure is not bad, but it looks unfinished because of the empty space. You could fill it with more trees, for example, or with flowers and other decoration tiles ;) 5/10

Map Name: n/a
Map Game: Fire Red
Comments: This map brought me the win in a mapping contest on a German ROM hacking board ^^
Mapshot: See attachment below, since I don't have enough posts to post URLs :x

I like the openness of your map, it reminds me of a great valley. If that's what you were trying to pull off, I think you did an excellent job on that. Since I am a noob at this mapping stuff, I cannot give a good criticism. The only thing that is kind of off to me is that puddle next to the Cooltrainer, I feel something else should be there, like more vegetation. But overall this map is awesome, 10/10.

I had posted my map earlier, but I forgot that I had to rate a map haha. Fail. Anyways, here it is.

TwilightVillage.png

This is my first map of my first ROM hack ever. I know it's not that great, but hey at least I tried haha.

Original Game: Emerald
ROM Hack Name: Daydream White/Nightmare Black
Map Name: Twilight Village

Articuno23

Sub-Zero
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2012
This is my first map of my first ROM hack ever. I know it's not that great, but hey at least I tried haha.

Original Game: Emerald
ROM Hack Name: Daydream White/Nightmare Black
Map Name: Twilight Village

Well, I'd give it 2 or 3/10 (sorry :P)
When you have more experience you will look back at this map and understand. My first maps were like this.
Firstly, the square shape isn't the most interesting to play and you haven't changed the classic 2 house starter town with a route to the north.
Maybe a slight overuse of the red flower? The trees don't look natural in their placement. I like the use of grass tiles though to make it natural looking. The puddle in the middle I have an issue with though as it's a bit on the large side (but a nice shape).
Also try adding that lighter grass as paths and maybe some more houses, it looks a bit odd having 2 houses on their own.
Sorry for the amount of pointers but I think their constructive. :)

Now for mine :D
This is Beachfront Isle, the starter town in my hack. I thought it would be interesting to begin on an island then travel on a boat to one of the bigger islands.
beachfrontisle.jpg

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Rating: 6.5/10.

Reason: It's a good map, but there are quite a few tile errors.

Suggestions:
Just north of the wooden pier, the ledge doesn't blend into the cliff; this ruins the illusion of depth, making parts of that ledge look flat. I'm not quite sure how you could fix that, though.

There is a very noticeable block error west of the cave entrance at the center of the map. A ledge literally just... stops. It cuts out.

The large building near the center of the map... Its windows are inconsistent with each other, which makes it look somewhat odd. If you use AdvanceMap's Block Editor, you could probably create modified versions of those roof-edge blocks that use the same windows as the wall blocks.

I think you are using the wrong blocks for the tree middles. (I can't really tell -- I hate JPEG compression!) There are two sets: one that blends a tree into grass, and another that blends a tree into another tree directly behind it. I think that you're using the latter, when the former would be more appropriate. (I can't tell. Image quality's a bit low.)

There are several other tile/block errors, but most of them are fairly minor. Careful examination should allow you to find them. (Pay particular attention to the blocks where the sand meets the water... Some corners are missing.) You will probably have to create custom blocks using AdvanceMap's Block Editor to fix some of them.

Final Comments:

Despite these criticisms, it's a good-looking map overall. I just have a better eye for the negative than for the positive. :\

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
hmm map ohk well i see pleanty errors
1st mountains i see at the bottom you added a tile and it looks wrong
2nd the bride thing has an error at the begginig
3rd some of the trees have the backshaddow

well thats about it i have to say allround its not a bad map could use a bit of work but other than that its good so i know you people like ratings so

6,5/10

comments its for a special event
credits clis project alucas alistair gigatom ultimate spriter and to the person who created the main piece(i got permission to use it)Anbuja aswell :)

Spoiler:

Err... To me, it looks odd. The tiles and how some are placed on the main thing just look wrong and slightly distorted (such as the mountain edge things), the clouds in the background do not look normal, and the map itself is a bit too square. And that stand thing doesn't look right unless it is in the middle, but that one is me.

Overall, a 5/10 sorta. I know I shouldn't rate the tiles, but they do affect how this looks...

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Now for mine :D
This is Beachfront Isle, the starter town in my hack. I thought it would be interesting to begin on an island then travel on a boat to one of the bigger islands.

Wow, many tile errors.

-The bridge blends into the sand at the top, but not the bottom
-Random ledge extending into the shore tile
-Water shore ledges beneath the mountain? (North of the bridge)
-The roof on the house in the top left has a tile error on the far right tile
-The mountain by the lab-looking thing by the cave in the south has a tile error where the background is black, and not green.
-All of the trees have shadows, when the should not, as they are not next to other trees (like in border blocks)
-By the stairs on the far right you have mountain ledges with the mountain tile background, when it should be grass. (by the small rock)
-You are missing one of the corner water ledges on the far right
-The small mountain to the right of the bridge looks weird without Gen 4 and 5's camera angling.
-There is a small rock in the water that may be a slip of the mouse? It just doesn't belong.
-Your stairs by the sand tiles are missing the stairs tile with the shading. You did it with the other stairs that go onto the mountain, but not with this.

Now, positives:
-The pathways are well spaced and look natural
-The idea of using the darker water for showing where the rocks extend below the water's surface is neat.

Rating: 5/10

And my map:
I'm worried most about the mountains. Mine never feel natural. Any advice?

Attachments

• GERUDO DESERT.png
    GERUDO DESERT.png
    38 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back