• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tricks of the Trade

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Everyone of us do little rituals of some sort when collecting Pokémon. Like bringing along a certain Pokémon when you're going out to capture something, riding your bike on a certain path to hatch that pesky egg, or pulling a name out of hat when you want to RNG something and you just can't pick something on your own. So what are your rituals? Share your tips and tricks with the community.

For me, whenever I do a capture project out in the wild, I always bring along my Rosey (Roselia). I use her as my sweet scenter to draw in the mon, and when I've weakened it enough, I bring back Rosey in to either put it to sleep or paralyze. Makes the capture process easier. I'd recommend her to everyone. Just don't get her with Poison Point. You'll regret having that ability on her. And yes, Roselia is a girl. I don't care what the gender ratio is. SHE'S FABULOUS

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I guess I'm pretty boring, but I always bring in my Synchronizer, 2x Chatot, and Amoonguss in 5th gen, and an Oddish in 4th gen. I always RNG, though... so it really doesn't mean much to me what I catch. One thing I do always do is count in hundreds if the seed is very high... I'm not sure, I probably have some weird ritual that I do but really I think what I do is pretty standard and boring. :3

dyenguard

Burst of Flame!
Years
I usually always bring along my Lucario. For some reason, i ALWAYS make sure that it is in my party. It just doesn't feel complete without him.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I always take my Volcarona, even for captures. idk why, it's just a habit since I mostly do eggs. I always nickname the Pokemon that I RNG, unless it's in my Japanese White. That's about it though. :(

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
When I'm catching Pokemon (only when I RNG them) I always take: Parasect (Spore, False Swipe, Swords Dance, Sweet Scent), a synchronizer (usually Abra with Teleport or Xatu with Fly), two Chatots and (if the Pokemon I want is ghost or when surfing) Kabutops (Swords Dance, False Swipe, Foresight, Surf). I have them in all three generations (all but Chatot). If the the route to the Pokemon I need requires many HMs, I always try to get those in HGSS when I can easily put both Chatots to box and take HM slaves, or in DPPt where I can use journal flips and only one Chatot. If it's not a ghost, I just box my Kabutops, but I had hard times RNGing my Misdreavus in HG ;x

When breeding, I have my Flygon and Camerupt in Emerald, Magmortar and Swablu in HGSS and Litwick with two Chatots in BW. I avoid breeding with Ditto, unless I don't need any egg moves.

When it comes to roamers, I hit them hard until they're at low HP, then I use False Swipe, then I use my 0 IV Speed Brave Tangrowth with Zoom Lens and use Block, then Sleep Powder (89% Accuracy is neat) and finally, I spam with balls until my Pokemon is caught :3

I also have very messy boxes... I found ~15 RNGed Pokemon between my randoms in HG >...<" How about your boxes?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2012
Well to hatch my eggs in Gen V I ride from the Day Care on Route 3 with my Litwick with flame body to Striaton City all the way to Nuvema Town, then to Nacrene City then back to Striaton.
I like to categorise my boxes: Eggs, Level 1's, Events, And normal pokemon.
The team I normally use unless need HM's: Weavile (From Sydian), Blastoise (From RNC), Dragonair (Bred), Charizard (From RNC), Sceptile (From RNC), Empoleon (From RNC).
I usually EV train at the Area between Lacunosa and Undella Town.

Last edited:

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I take my Volcarona everywhere with me, too. Flame body & Fly FTW.

I bring my sync and 2 Chatots and Oddish. I always leave 2 spots open on my team.
1 for the egg and 1 for my capture to check my frame.
If I'm capturing I bring only 1 Chatot, my sync, Ludicolo, and Smeargle.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Speed Trading
Trick
or Treat
Darkness comes. There's a chill in the air. Against their better judgement, Traders are going out in the night expecting to find a treat. However, unbeknownst to them, there are are other Traders out there, ready to hand out a trick. There's something rustling in the bushes. "What's that?! Who's there?!" It's Speed Trading: Trick or Treat!

How it works

Unlike other Speed Trading events, this event has a special Halloween theme. For this Speed Trade, we will not be using the random system from other Speed Trading events to determine which Pokémon you will be trading. Instead, Traders will have two special types of Pokémon: a Trick Pokémon and a Treat Pokémon. You can have more than one of each type.These Pokémon can be whatever you'd like them to be. They can be a poorly bred Pokémon, or an exceptionally rare Pokémon. Just make sure that they match the theme of Trick or Treat.

Additionally, you will not be trading other Trader's Pokémon you have received through the event itself. You will only be trading your own Trick or Treat Pokémon. Please keep track of which type of Pokémon you trade and receive. If you traded away a Treat Pokémon and received a Trick Pokémon, place that information alongside who you traded with.
Example:
Username: Trader 1
FC: 0000 0000 0000

1.) Trader 2 (Gave: Trick | Received: Treat)
2.) Trader 3 (Gave: Treat | Received: Treat)
3.) Trader 4 (Gave: Trick | Received: Trick)
4.) Trader 2 (Gave: Treat | Received: Trick)
There is no deadline for signups. Simply post your information and start trading. Have fun everyone!

Rules

355.gif
All Trade Corner rules apply.
355.gif
Do NOT trade hacked Pokémon.
355.gif
Respect all distribution rights if applicable.
355.gif
Consecutive trades with the same person are not allowed. You may only trade with the same person after you've traded with 2 other people.
355.gif
Do not negotiate trades. This is about speed. Get in, get out.
355.gif
Do not spam this thread. If you have a question, send a VM to twistedpuppy.
355.gif
To know that you read the rules and how the event works, include the phrase found at the end of the FAQ.

Requirments

355.gif
A Gen V game
355.gif
As many Trick or Treat Pokémon as you'd like.

Duration

October 28, 2012 12:00am EST - November 1, 2012 6:00am EST [UTC -4]
Time Converter: Link

Username:
FC:

Participants

Points & Prizes

355.gif
Each trade will be counted towards one point.
355.gif
Two participants with the most Treats or Tricks will receive a special emblem.
355.gif
All participants who do not place will receive a participation emblem.
yBq07.png

Participation Emblem
U1HfT.png

Treat Emblem
8E7YG.png

Trick Emblem

FAQs

How do I keep track of my trading history?
Edit the post you made for your sign up form to keep track of your trading history.

Can I just trade Trick/Treat Pokémon only?
No, you may not. You must trade both a Trick and Treat Pokémon as often as you can.

How many Trick/Treat Pokémon can I trade?
You can have as many Trick or Treat Pokémon as you want, but only trade one at a time.

Will there be a Pokémon prize?
Unfortunately, due to time constraints, there will not be a Pokémon prize for this Speed Trade. Maybe next year we'll have one.

What if I can't find people to trade with on PokéCommunity?
You can always go on Trade Corner's irc channel, #TradeCorner. You can find it here.

What if someone scams me?
You'll be fully reimbursed for the Pokémon you have lost.

What if I scam other participants?
You'll receive an infraction and be banned from future events.

What is the phrase found at the end of the FAQ?
Continue the song "This is Halloween" from The Nightmare Before Christmas after each poster recites a verse.

"Boys and girls of every age, Wouldn't you like to see something strange?"

Spoiler:

Last edited:

oocyst

SOFTware
Years
When RNG capturing I always take my trusty Breloom with false swipe and spore, and a foongos that knows Sweet Scent. I also have an army of synchronizing Munna with me. And of course a couple of chattering chatots.

For breeding I have my chatots and a trusty dreamworld ponyta that keeps my eggs warm.

As for boxes, I have boxes organized by types, but that was before my RNGing days, so I have a few boxes full of RNG'd mons.. I should get rid of all those old ones and put the RNGs in there..

Last edited:

EarthWolfblade

Returning breeder
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 19, 2013
[SIZE="a"]I pretty much always take my Bisharp wherever I go xD...[/SIZE]

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I take my catching Breloom with me. B) False Swipe, Spore, Sky Uppercut and Giga Drain. FS and Spore are pretty self explanatory. SU and GD are for when the Pokemon can take a hit. It backfires a lot though because Breloom is level 100. So it's not the best when you're trying to catch a Roggenrola... I eventually got it though... anyway, I also take two Chatot's, Volcarona and some crappy SS. Like Oddish. or roselia.

Crescend

Breeder
Years
I have a swanna as my fly / surf but the lack of waterfall is disappointing. I might make a HM-dragonite instead. For catching, I just made myself a parasect with false swipe / spore / sweet scent / x-scissor, it's an irresistible combo :)

I went a bit OCD with catching dittos, I got 20 dittos each with a different nature (all the natures that change stats) and a handful of those have all the max IV's too. Handy for breeding for sure, even though I've hardly needed more than a couple of those natures so far ^^

I only just started looking into RNG'ing, but I lack the chatot to start. I swear I saw one just before I started looking into this, but since then I've not been able to see a single one in DW. I'd greatly appreciate if someone could breed me a random chatot to start with :) I'm also trying to find a zigzagoon so I can breed an army of pickup linoones for amassing rare candys.

Years
Since I still do thimngs the old fashioned way, I bring along a few of my best to help me out. I always use my Magmortar I bred in Plat as my egg hatcher (Flame Body) and my HM slave Tropius serves to fly me around everywhere if I want to hatch at a specific place. Unless I have fast hatch on.

Feunard

Random Trainer
Years
When I'm hatching eggs I always ride my bike from the daycare into Nacrene City, through Pinwheel forest and onto Skyarrow Bridge. I usually go up and down the bridge until one of the eggs hatches. After that I ride back to the daycare to get another egg. I always have two eggs, a volcarona (flame body), a pokemon over level 60 (you know, in case a trainer randomly falls from the sky and challenges me to a battle xD) and tranquil (to fly) in my party while doing this.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2014
I never go out without my Togekiss with Fly in gen IV/V and my Milotic with Surf in gen III. I am obsessed ow the combination of cute and strong.....even if it's hard.

pokemonranger109

Jirachi Know-It-All From Birth
Years
I cannot continue my game unless Victini in my party on 5th Gen.
Its my very first event ever and it resembles a Leader to me and is my teams captain unless im lving up pokes
Its not an hm slave because i use my others to fly only once had i tuaght it strength but i deleted it later
To capture pokes it depends on whet im capturing and what lv it is because it knows fire fighting electric and phyhcic moves if its super affective against them i switch out

Last edited:

Wiilio

Friendly neighborhood fatman
Years
I've got my pair of Chatots, DatChat and ChatDat. Other than that, no real ritual. But I'm liking a lot of the ideas I see up here... *takes notes*

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
I take my Dugtrio with Arena Trap when trying to catch roaming legendaries. If that doesn't suit the roaming Pokémon, I take my Crobat with Mean Look.

TY

I always take my Tyranitar with me, as its my fav poke since FR/LG and im playing some music on my mp3 while trying to catch it...

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
In 5 Gen I always breed with my Lv.8 Magby upfront in my party and I always used to have my Lv.64 Unfezant In my party until I accidently cloned over him ='( I caught him as a Lv.4 Pidove and the day White was released.

Back