• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Did that got the offset there got this in XSE:
#org 0x12F8F0
braille 0x18081C5C
comparebanktofarbyte 0x2 0x3B10802
end

The weird thing is that in XSE's own hex viewer if I go to the offset from my previous post it shows the proper text in the side bar of it.

In the hex viewer, it shows the letter equivalent of every byte, so it'll show messages that exist in the ROM. But like I said in an earlier post, if you just put in the offset of the text, XSE will assume it's script commands, so you'll get weird script commands instead of the text. The best way to edit it, like I said in my earlier post, is to create a script that uses "msgbox 0x1C5C78 MSG_FACE", compile that script, decompile it, and it'll give you the proper characters, like so:

Spoiler:

You can then edit it as you see fit, although you can't make the text longer this way. You need to repoint things if you want to make it longer, and that requires a hex editor

Robert Conley

GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley
Years
Oh ok, thank you. I didn't quite get what you were saying in your other post and this one really helps! Well there doesn't seem to be a way to change the Nidoran through text, anyone know if there is a way to do this at all? After all that I realized there was a tool for what I was trying to do. At least I learned something new about XSE though.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2012
Hello folks.

I feel like starting a ROM Hack, major project. However, I have never done a ROM Hack before. All of the knowledge I have from creating games are from RPG Maker (Did pretty much everything, except Scripting).

So I went and looked around to get informations and grab programs (thought all the ones I wanted were included in PGE). However, I still have some things I want to know:

-I wish to create Fakemons, with my own spriting skills. PGE has all kind of stuff for editting a Pokemon except one thing: Sprites. What program for Sprite editing would you you suggest for a beginner?
Wichu's Advanced Series:
I can't post links yet, but it's in the Toolbox.

Great tools, super easy to use!

-I've seen Physical/Special split is possible to edit in the Attack Editor of PGE. However, I've also heard it requires an ASM to make it work. I have no idea what that is, mind helping me find/install that ASM?
Unfortunately, this is the only complete version I can find. You need to create an account to view the post:

s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/topic/8679031/1/#new

It's just an IPS file that you can apply to your ROM, the same way you would apply any hack. If you've already begun work on your hack, I don't think applying the patch will mess anything up, but obviously create a backup just in case.

And to change whether an attack is physical or special, the option in PGE's attack editor should now work.

-I'd like to create moves with particular effects. I know I can only use existing effects. However, can I make an effect that normally does no damage actually do damage in addition to the effect? (such as Protect and Transform).
I'm pretty sure that you can just select the effect from the drop-down menu in PGE's attack editor, and then give your attack a base power.

Although with Transform specifically I don't know how this would work. Would the damage be calculated before or after the transform effect?

Bear in mind that I don't have much more experience than you, so make backups in case my advice ruins your ROM. :)

And I'm not experienced enough to answer your other questions.

redriders180

Years
Hello folks.

I feel like starting a ROM Hack, major project. However, I have never done a ROM Hack before. All of the knowledge I have from creating games are from RPG Maker (Did pretty much everything, except Scripting).

So I went and looked around to get informations and grab programs (thought all the ones I wanted were included in PGE). However, I still have some things I want to know:

-I wish to create Fakemons, with my own spriting skills. PGE has all kind of stuff for editting a Pokemon except one thing: Sprites. What program for Sprite editing would you you suggest for a beginner?

-I've seen Physical/Special split is possible to edit in the Attack Editor of PGE. However, I've also heard it requires an ASM to make it work. I have no idea what that is, mind helping me find/install that ASM?

-I'd like to create moves with particular effects. I know I can only use existing effects. However, can I make an effect that normally does no damage actually do damage in addition to the effect? (such as Protect and Transform).

-I wish to create a whole new continent. However, I have no idea how I should start it out, if I should delete maps to make space or not. What do you suggest me?

-Anything a beginner should know before throwing himself into a big project?

Thank in advance for the answers.

I don't mean to undermine the post above mine, but I didn't notice this post when it was first made, and I just want to clarify a few things.

Like the person above me, the easiest program to use for sprites is Wichu's Sprite Editor. It's probably on the first page of the "Tools" page here on Pokecommunity.

There's a link to a completed project here which provides IPS patches for the Physical/Special Split itself, as well as a second patch which has everything already done. It should be safe to patch onto existing hacks, as long as you didn't move the move data anywhere.

Some effects, like the ones you listed, won't work if you simply put in a base power. Moves that do something like Protect or Transform have effects that generally solely work on the person who is doing the attacking. You can make your own effects by extending the effect table and doing some ASM, but it's a little cumbersome and difficult. You can try doing what the poster above me says, but I think it'll end up being more difficult than that.

It's generally a silly idea to delete maps, and then make more maps. I realize that some people like to start off with a clean slate, but it's easier to just resize existing maps and add new maps instead of completely restarting.

ADLFM14

Legendary Spriter
Years
Item Image Editing In Ruby!!!

hello i wanted to ask how to edit any items image in Pokemon ruby because i couldn't change it in Item image editor and i didn't find it in unlz and i need to change it please so if any one would help i would be very happy :D

redriders180

Years
hello i wanted to ask how to edit any items image in Pokemon ruby because i couldn't change it in Item image editor and i didn't find it in unlz and i need to change it please so if any one would help i would be very happy :D

You probably couldn't find them in UNLZ.gba because Ruby and Sapphire don't have item images :P The only ones that have images are the berries, which are located around number 1511 in UNLZ.gba.

Years
  • Seen Jul 9, 2012
If it's not too much trouble I have two questions. The first is regarding tilesets in AdvanceMap, every time I try to switch between two it resets my tiles to the set I've changed to, is there any way to stop this or just be able to use more then one set? Secondly how do you set up encounters in a hack like when you first encounter entei as his sprite and he runs off etc. Again sorry if these are rather loaded questions. Thanks a bunch.

redriders180

Years
If it's not too much trouble I have two questions. The first is regarding tilesets in AdvanceMap, every time I try to switch between two it resets my tiles to the set I've changed to, is there any way to stop this or just be able to use more then one set? Secondly how do you set up encounters in a hack like when you first encounter entei as his sprite and he runs off etc. Again sorry if these are rather loaded questions. Thanks a bunch.

If I understand your first question correctly, you can only use two tilesets at any given time...in the case of outdoor maps, the nature set and the secondary set. So if you want towns with tiles from Celadon City, Cinnabar Island, and Fuschia City at the same time, you need to modify one of the existing tilesets with tiles from those three places.

Roaming Pokemon are generally the results of the "special" command, and you can't really call one at will (that runs away, at least) without ASM. Setting variable 0x4031 to either 0x0, 0x1, or 0x2 and calling special 0x129 will make the roamer either Entei, Raikou, or Suicune, respectively. There's no way to make more then one roam at any given time, without ASM.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2012
Emerald map problem, appreciate some help

I'm adding an ice cave to a route using advancemap and inserted added two warp location with correct tiles to allow the warps to work one is to the route i placed it in and the other is to a spot in little root town so i can just change that warp to test my new maps. I enter the warp it changes to a blacked out room with my character stuck on a random bush and cant go any where. i've tried changing the cave option but that doesn't work same thing happens. I'm getting frustrated and would love some help on this problem

Years
  • Seen Mar 15, 2015
hey does anyone know how to expand or add more to the OW in Nameless sprite editor[NSE] pokemon firered ?

Pokemon fr only has 151

Years
  • Age 24
  • =/
  • Seen Feb 12, 2013
I have a question, how do you change Prof. Birch's Sprite at the intro?
I have no ideas about it.

Sorry for my bad English.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Hello, I have a question.

How can I change the music that will be playing in a Pokèmon battle? I'm using the trainer editor PET. There is a "music change" section in PET, but I don't think it is accurate. I went through a lot of different trainers and all of their music was 0. Help please?

Thanks again guys :)

redriders180

Years
Hello, I have a question.

How can I change the music that will be playing in a Pokèmon battle? I'm using the trainer editor PET. There is a "music change" section in PET, but I don't think it is accurate. I went through a lot of different trainers and all of their music was 0. Help please?

Thanks again guys :)

This question has been asked alot recently...the only way to change it is with ASM, or Jambo51 is making a routine that'll read it from a table, allowing for custom music in-battle depending on stuff like Trainer Class.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
This question has been asked alot recently...the only way to change it is with ASM, or Jambo51 is making a routine that'll read it from a table, allowing for custom music in-battle depending on stuff like Trainer Class.

Okay, sorry about the question being asked again... Couldn't find it being asked beforehand. Thanks.

Tannecho51

Pokemon Lion's Eye
Years
This is a question for Ruby Version. How do you edit the beginning scripts? Not the text, but the actual script. I can't find the offsets anywhere.
Sorry if this question was already answered, I couldn't find it anywhere in the thread.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2022
Thanks for the answers. I have a few more questions thought:

-I wish to create a Rival that changes gender depending on which gender we chose at the beginning, much like R/S/E. Is it easily doable in FireRed, or would I better off doing it on R/S/E?

-I'd like to have multiple kind of battle musics. However, I'm not sure how it works, and if it's possible to have more battle musics than on the original (like 3 Trainer themes while still keeping the other themes). Is it possible to do that?

-Can I apply an IPS patch (from, let's say, a hack that has all the moves from 4rd/5th gen and physical/special split) to a rom, make a Hack out of it, and create an IPS patch that will work on the original?

Thanks in advance for the answers again.

redriders180

Years
Thanks for the answers. I have a few more questions thought:

-I wish to create a Rival that changes gender depending on which gender we chose at the beginning, much like R/S/E. Is it easily doable in FireRed, or would I better off doing it on R/S/E?

-I'd like to have multiple kind of battle musics. However, I'm not sure how it works, and if it's possible to have more battle musics than on the original (like 3 Trainer themes while still keeping the other themes). Is it possible to do that?

-Can I apply an IPS patch (from, let's say, a hack that has all the moves from 4rd/5th gen and physical/special split) to a rom, make a Hack out of it, and create an IPS patch that will work on the original?

Thanks in advance for the answers again.

1. Yes, this is easily doable, since the commands are the same for both versions. A typical script would check the players gender, then which starter you chose, and branch into six potential battle scenarios:
Spoiler:

So, for each encounter with the Rival, you need to have six potential battles programmed. As for changing OWs, RSE have a few OWs that dynamically change, but you can just have two different OWs, and hide the one that's the same gender as yours, and show the one that's of the opposite gender.

2. Like I mentioned above, Firered doesn't naturally have a battle music "table", it checks with ASM. Only way to fix is with ASM, or Jambo51 is apparently making a routine that lets you use a table (which I hope he's making because I still want it!)

3. Yes. When making the patch in question, you just select a clean ROM as the base, then select your hack, and IPS will make the patch fine. In short, patches of patches can be consolidated into one patch.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I want to know one more thing before I start on my project.

Is it currently possible to change the credits in FireRed? Text? Music?
I went through unLZ and found Red's credits sprite, but that's all I found.

EDIT: another thing: Can I remove the "this is your rival, name him" section in the intro?

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2022
Oh, thanks again for the answers! I guess I'll stick with FireRed. The main reason I've chosen FireRed is for the pictures that happen when we enter an area, I have great ideas of how to make use of them to get the player further into the plot.

I noticed thought that, apparently, you need MIDI files to make custom musics. The music I want to insert is MP3 thought (and worse: downloaded from Youtube!), yet there exists no MP3 to MIDI converter (sad, but not surprising seeing how MIDI works).

So I'm guessing one has to recreate manually the music in MIDI format. Problem is, I'm no good in music, that is one thing I unfortunately cannot do myself. Do you know any simpler solution? Or will I have to find someone able to work it out?

Also, still going on with musics: How are the battle musics chosen in battle? Is it automatically chosen depending on Trainer classes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back