• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DLC- Worth it?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I've always liked the option of DLC, it can definitely spice up your game although sometimes it isn't worth the price. The only games I've bought DLC for are Red Dead Redemption, LittleBigPlanet, and The Sims series if the expansion packs count.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I think DLC is great when done right....such as Battlefield 3's expansion packs that usually involve 4 maps, more vehicles, more weapons, etc or Skyrim's expansions as well.

However DLC released on the same day the game gets released is total BS like what Mass Effect 3 did.

Years
However DLC released on the same day the game gets released is total BS like what Mass Effect 3 did.
This. Completely.

I hate when DLC is released on the same day as the game. At least give everyone a chance, let everyone play what's first issued for a few months. Adding stuff quickly is really annoying and can be a bit of a hassle most of the time.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
Not all DLC is "loadsamoney", as your link suggests. My proof? Blacksmith Pack for Castle Crashers is £0.89. I know that's not the best example to give, but I don't think that DLC is too pricey.

true but if a million people bought a 1 dollar expansion, or probably more likely that a quarter million buy 4, the company gets 1 million dollars. and that's just with the cheaper expansions. a single NSMB2 pack will be 2.50 and nearly all my friends are buying at least 2 or 3 packs. haven't checked the first person shooter games but i know they're not too cheap.

Years
Woah woah woah woah, £2.50 isn't that much for DLC. DLC starts to become pricey at £7.50+. And yes companies do get a lot of money from DLC of their respected game; not to mention they probably have more than 1 game that has DLC. It's still unlikely that 250,000 people will buy DLC for games unless it's CoD or whatever. But that's just good business, an easy way to make money once you've got an audience.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
true but if a million people bought a 1 dollar expansion, or probably more likely that a quarter million buy 4, the company gets 1 million dollars. and that's just with the cheaper expansions. a single NSMB2 pack will be 2.50 and nearly all my friends are buying at least 2 or 3 packs. haven't checked the first person shooter games but i know they're not too cheap.
An expansion pack that costs one dollar would probably net the company much less than one million dollars if one million dollars. You have to consider the amount of time and manpower that goes into making the DLC; they have to pay their staff, and then you have to consider where the money from the DLC goes and how it's split. It probably ends up getting them much less than what the consumer pays.

Woah woah woah woah, £2.50 isn't that much for DLC. DLC starts to become pricey at £7.50+. And yes companies do get a lot of money from DLC of their respected game; not to mention they probably have more than 1 game that has DLC. It's still unlikely that 250,000 people will buy DLC for games unless it's CoD or whatever. But that's just good business, an easy way to make money once you've got an audience.
Well, it depends on the DLC. For instance, Fire Emblem Awakening sells a short scenario with 1 character for $2.50, and I'd say that's pricey given the subject matter. I mean, if they were their own products it would be fine, but these are packs among packs, and if one were to buy all of the packs, they would be paying more than 10% of what the games cost (individually it's more than 5%).

But, still, overselling is not a bad idea. Sure, I don't think CoD's DLC price is justified, but hey, people are buying it so why change it?...Actually, that's really been the philosophy behind the entire series as of late, and many other games as a result. Companies oversell when they're sure people won't resist or revolt against their prices, which is a shrewd tactic that works time and time again.

Years
I agree that companies overprice a lot of their DLC, but I think they still propose a fair price. If you think about how much work they need to make it, Dragonborn for Skyrim must've taken a good while, and also how big it actually is. Then you have to consider what you said about splitting the prices between people. After that, it's the companies choice to decide how much they want for it; some companies are smart about it some just want the money straight.

Back