• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The N word.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Also, I hate how the stereotype only goes for that and not cracker. One, why can I say cracker when it has the same offense to a white person as the other word should have to a black person? And also, why should they be able to call me that and I can't call them that? Double standards make this world screwed up sometimes.

the word cracker never has and never will have the same level of offense that the n word has
the word cracker only serves to create hurt white feelings (oh no :-( oh dear) whereas the n word serves to reinforce oppression and shame

and well
if you're offended by the word cracker
that's just too bad
grow up
this 'double standard' you're talking about is simply a way of expressing your hurt white feelings :(

snake17

Back after a loooong break. :D
Years
the word cracker never has and never will have the same level of offense that the n word has
the word cracker only serves to create hurt white feelings (oh no :-( oh dear) whereas the n word serves to reinforce oppression and shame

and well
that's just too bad
grow up
this 'double standard' you're talking about is simply a way of expressing your hurt white feelings :(

The double standard is that the N word should be the same level as cracker. It's just a word.
"if you're offended by the word cracker, that's just too bad" Same should go for the N word

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
I think it depends on how white people use it. I am black myself. If a white friend of mine comes up to me and says "What's up ****ing n-word?", it'll be normal since we are friends and that's just in a joking manner but if a stranger comes up and says that, it's pretty different. That word has been used in the past in an hateful manner, so black people won't appreciate it if you just come up and call them a n-word if they don't know you. Otherwise, I got no problems at all if my friends say it.
So I think it depends on the context and the way you use it.

snake17

Years
I think it depends on how white people use it. I am black myself. If a white friend of mine comes up to me and says "What's up ****ing n-word?", it'll be normal since we are friends and that's just in a joking manner but if a stranger comes up and says that, it's pretty different. That word has been used in the past in an hateful manner, so black people won't appreciate it if you just come up and call them a n-word if they don't know you. Otherwise, I got no problems at all if my friends say it.
So I think it depends on the context and the way you use it.
Would you ever go up to a random white person and call h]them a cracker? and if you did would you consider it a similar insult?

Years
You cannot seriously compare the N word and 'cracker'. When people say that, (or if they even say that, I've never heard it used) chances are most people would be talking about how good they are in soup. The word simply does not have the cultural significance, stigma, or controversy that the N word carries. Which is why you can't just say, well it's only a word, you give it it's meaning & power. It's more than a word, it's become symbolic. White people were not lynched by black people in robes and hoods, chanting the C word as they did it. It was the other way around.

Last edited:

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
You cannot seriously compare the N word and 'cracker'. When people say that, (or if they that, I've never heard it used) chances are most people would be talking about how good they are in soup. The word simply does not have the cultural significance, stigma, or controversy that the N word carries. White people were not lynched by black people in robes and hoods, chanting the C word as they did it. It was the other way around.
I couldn't have said it better than Livewire did.

snake17

Years
You cannot seriously compare the N word and 'cracker'. When people say that, (or if they that, I've never heard it used) chances are most people would be talking about how good they are in soup. The word simply does not have the cultural significance, stigma, or controversy that the N word carries. White people were not lynched by black people in robes and hoods, chanting the C word as they did it. It was the other way around.

My main point is, people give the N word its negativity. It is a word. Nothing more. If yo take offense to it, then that is your problem.

Years
My main point is, people give the N word its negativity. It is a word. Nothing more. If yo take offense to it, then that is your problem.

You're missing the point. Regardless if you take offense to it or not, you can't ignore the literal centuries of history behind it. It's not just a word, it's symbolic for what people of color have endured in this country. It carries a connotation with it, a horrible and negative one at that.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
"Its not offensive, its just a word! Anyone who is offended by it needs to get over themselves!" - argument used by white people that are ignorant to their own racism while also somehow blaming victims which seems to be a trademark of white supremacy

You can't just...decide what other people should be offended by...that is just...wrong for so many reasons. White people should never use this word in normal conversations. There are plenty of good words to use, so why use one of the worst possible ones even if you think it shouldn't be offensive?

LAWSICK

see you next mission.
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016
i hardly see how black people reclaiming a word which historically has been used to oppress them is a privilege
hurt white feelings are irrelevant

yep, exactly. its the same thing with the word, "queer-" it was used in contempt towards homosexuals, but today it stands as a reclaimed slur by the LGBT*QIA community and folks even openly describe themselves as queer, like me!

the n-word and cracker really are incomparable. there's a difference between being systematically oppressed and having your feelings hurt. so if a white individual says the n-word they, -as a white person-, enforces its original context which was used to disgrace black people and that's the burden they carry. that's not me saying this. it's history.

snake17

Years
"Its not offensive, its just a word! Anyone who is offended by it needs to get over themselves!" - argument used by white people that are ignorant to their own racism while also somehow blaming victims which seems to be a trademark of white supremacy

You can't just...decide what other people should be offended by...that is just...wrong for so many reasons. White people should never use this word in normal conversations. There are plenty of good words to use, so why use one of the worst possible ones even if you think it shouldn't be offensive?

I try to avoid the word anyway, but I disagree that it it only used as an argument for racist white people. I have had a couple black friends even agree with me that it should not be offensive.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I have had a couple black friends even agree with me that it should not be offensive.

Assuming your black friends are around your age though, generally younger people are more likely to not care. Ask an older black person how they feel about it, and it's a completely different story, especially when you ask someone that was around during the Civil Rights movement.

While I don't put cracker and the n word on the same level, I still wouldn't want to be called a cracker and be equated to scumbags of the 1800's. And I'm sure that most black people don't want to be called the n word because they don't want to be brought back to the times when the KKK roamed the streets.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
In my opinion, it should be a word used between friends and nothing more. It should not be glorified in songs, it should not be thrown around. I really don't care about 'reclaimed' words - I still find ***, Queer, etc. offensive and I would imagine there are black people who find ******/***** offensive - no matter who calls them it.

At people saying white people are entitled - what about in songs? I often see people singing out loud on the bus, around town, around school. Why should a white person feel guilty for singing lyrics in that sense? I don't think it should be allowed in songs full stop.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016

and well
that's just too bad
grow up

I'm not offended by that at all. The N word means Ignorant. It has nothing to do with black people. However, when slavery was a thing, that's just what they called them. It evolved into a racial slur. And I think when that happened they retaliated with the word cracker. It's a double standard, dude.

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
Years
It's a word that I avoid using. Aside from respecting rules laid out by society before my birth, I don't consider myself biased against groups of people as a whole. In every race, religion, ethnicity, etc. there are both good and bad people. Sometimes in referring to troublesome individuals, especially if I was personally impacted, an inappropriate word might slip out.

Last edited:

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
*wonders how many people in this topic are black*

All I'm gonna say is this. If you aren't black, and haven't been put in that situation, then you can't ever understand how uncomfortable that makes you feel. Threatened, even.

I don't think anyone should use the word, I have nothing further to say.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
Hahaha, sorry for butting in guys!
I wanna express my opinions too!

I think it's about respecting others and also depends on the current situation you are in.
But in most cases, it is still not recommended to say such things, because every single person have different standards and bottom line. You may accept people calling you that way, but that doesn't mean every single person can tolerate it and have it your way.

I'm not offended by that at all. The N word means Ignorant. It has nothing to do with black people. However, when slavery was a thing, that's just what they called them. It evolved into a racial slur. And I think when that happened they retaliated with the word cracker. It's a double standard, dude.

Similarly to c**ng ch**g **ong, it has no real meaning, but as a man with Chinese lineage and when people tried to say that to me in a mocking tone. I'd feel extremely offended by it.>:(

Last edited:
Years
I remember the first time I used the word, and I learned my lesson from using it. But after that, I have strong displeasure of using the word. Even though I'm white, I respect the black race and it's a word that my parents have taught me not to use or else they'll slap me so hard it would leave a permanent mark.

I don't even use the word to joke around to other white friends either. It's a rude word and even though it's derived from the Spanish word for black, it's a racial slur. And if it's getting compared to cracker, then that's not a good comparison at all. I don't find cracker as much of an offense as ******, but only because not every white person is a cracker, whereas every black person could be classified as a ******.

Years
Not even black people who reclaim the word for themselves?

This right here is a pretty interesting discussion just waiting to happen: Does reclaiming a negative word empower a group and take away power from the privileged? Does it reinforce stereotypes and encourage divisiveness?

Back