• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Writer's Ultimate Challenge! (Game for Writers)

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Jedi_Amara said:
When's the deadline? I assume we're allowed to correct the grammar in the quote XD

Try "asap." Usually I go for one day deadline, and extend it only if I made a mistake in the question, or if there's less than 3 answers to the question.

Of course there is grammar mistake in the quote. I'm not dumping THAT much time in to make sure the quote that's soon to be corrected by all of you to be perfect. ;p

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
Frostweaver's edit said:
-you may use any narrative manner, from any characters' perspective, or change the narrative to script

Ya don't say. Well, then... sorry if it's a bit lengthy. This is done in my usual style, scripted, faux transliterion, etc. And just in case no one's aware, Alligates=Croconaw.

Alligates: "ARIGE...!" [Flies backwards and gets imbedded into a stadium wall. Her eyes are shut.]

Joshua: [Steps forward, mouth gaping.] "Alligates!"

Alligates: "...ei..." [Falls to the ground.]

Referee: [Leans towards Alligates, observes for a moment, then holds up a flag.] "Alligates, unable to battle!"

[A silhouetted figure standing at the other side of the arena holds up a Monster Ball and uses a retrieval beam to return whatever Pokemon was battling against Alligates.]

Announcer: "Player Joshua is out! So, this year's tournament champion is...!"

Joshua: [Mouth still gaping. Stares wide-eyed at the arena.] "I..." [Collapses to knees.] "...lost?" [Lowers head and gets on his hands.]

[Over in the stadium stands, a small group of people are climbing over the railing into the arena. The group contains Joshua's friends, as well as a middle-aged couple, his parents.]

Friend: "Hey, Josh!" [Jumps down from the railing and runs towards Joshua.]

Alligates: "...arigeeeei..." [Slowly opens eye as the group runs past her towards Joshua. One of his friends, meanwhile, kneels down next to her.]

Mother: [Stops running and kneels down by Joshua.] "Joshua...?" [Puts hand against his shoulder.]

Father: "Are you alright?"

Joshua: "....gi...gi..." [Teeth and eyes clenched, body trembling. A couple tears roll off his face and onto the ground.] "Dammit!" [Punches the ground where the tears landed. His mother pulls her hand away in shock, then slowly puts it back on his shoulder as his body stops trembling.] "...so close... I... was so close. My hopes and dreams are..."

Father: "Don't say that!"

Mother: "That's right. You did your best."

Joshua: "Did my best...?" [Unclenches fist and spreads fingers across the ground. Lifts up head and calmly opens eyes.]

[Joshua's friend that knelt down next to Alligates is currently helping her up. She manages to stand back up, but holding her injured shoulder with her other hand. Someone suddenly shouts...]

???: "Nii-chan!"

[Joshua turns his head shortly before a little girl, his sister, runs up, jumps up to him while wrapping her arms around his neck, and hugs him. His mother immediately pulls her hand away and stands up after a moment. Joshua looks down at the girl confusedly.]

Sister: "Nii-chan's so cool! You placed second in the whole tournament!"

Joshua: [Widens eyes.] "Ah...?"

Sister: "You'll get first place some day, for sure!"

Joshua: [Looks down at his sister for a moment, then nods head.] "Yeah..." [Wraps hands around his sister's back.] "For sure."

[Joshua looks around him. One of his friends smiles and gives him a thumb-up. His father stands beside his mother, who's smiling and trying to wipe tears swelling up in her eyes, and has his hand on her shoulder. He too smiles towards his son.]

Alligates: [Slowly walks towards her trainer, still clenching shoulder. Stops in front of him and looks up at his face.] "Arigei." [Grins and nods toward him.]

[Joshua lets go of his sister, who stands up and backs away from her brother, and then leans towards his Pokemon to rub her chin.]

Alligates: [Closes eyes and purrs in enjoyment.] "Riiiii..."

[The sound of footsteps approach. Joshua stops, and everyone looks up to see the silhouetted trainer, who holds its hand out toward Joshua. Joshua stands up, looks at his former opponent, and slowly brings his hand towards the champion's while smirking. As soon as the hands meet, an outward view of the stadium is shown.]

Joshua (narration): "That's right... some day, I'll surely win. It's a promise."

Last edited:

prolific_rhapsody

Paradox in Paradigm
Years
Oh, MY, GOSH!!!!

I am really apologetic about not being on here. It's been rough, at home. Very hectic... I got grounded for two weeks in December, up 'til right before Christmas. No 'puter. PERIOD!!! But, that wasn't what I meant by rough. I'll probably say something later about it. *Sigh...*

...but I am DEFINITELY getting back on tomorrow, every day but Sunday. And I WILL BEAT YOU, YAMATO-SAN!!! I'll get my points back up, just you wait...

This was just a notification to let everyone know that I haven't forgotten about this.
I hope I'm not out of place posting it here.
See ya tomorrow.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Just type your response if you want to eventidemjj XD; sometimes, people skip questions due to whatever reason and that's completely fine too.

Waiting for Jedi_Amara's response, eventidemjj's response and possibly Lily's response actually... because afterall, friends can get some biased help from time to time ;p (well, mainly it's that I'm not finish with the next question yet XD; )

Just one more day and we'll seriously move on *cough*

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2022
...I'm attempting to actually edit the quote so that it's joyful. Everyone else seems to have just re-written everything. I'm willing to be the minority o.o;

Joshua's parents tearfully looked on at their young lad, surrounded by all of his friends, laying their hands on Joshua's shoulders in sympathy. Their tears were not only of sadness, but also of pride. Their little Josh had just lost...but lost against the Elite 4, a chance most trainers wouldn't even get! Meahwhile, Joshua's faithful Croconaw leaned weakly against the wall, condemning her inability to claim victory over her opponent for the final battle. Josh though, only hugged her and accepted what had happened. Another loss, another lesson. He hugged her once more, assuring her that their bond was one that would survive the outcome of any battle, important or not.

It is an undeniable truth that for every Pokemon master made in Indigo Plateau, millions have failed at their life long dream. Joshua couldn't escape from that ill fate, as he kneeled down in defeat against this year's new champion. He was so close to his dreams! Yet, they were snatched away... This was what he needed though, a stronger resolve to train. A stronger will to win. He looked up at the new champion, but only saw a challenge through eyes blurred with emotion. He smiled, admitted defeat, and started planning his trip to Jhoto.

Ok, that definitely wasn't my best work o_o; But~ that's what I want to submit XD How sad~

Last edited:

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
Frosty, I'm not submitting an entry for this particular challenge... for, erm, personal reasons. =) So...I'll just wait until the next one, k?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Although I hold a very strong liking to Dragonfree's, but I honestly can't give anything for it... simply because the mood didn't change. It's just shifting the depressive light from Joshua to the champion instead. I liked that response more than any other ones though...

It was hard deciding who has the better response between Spoony-chan and Yamato-san, but due to the fact that Spoony-chan changed the original quote the least (I didn't consider the narrative change as a "change" but the fact that a new character is used in Yamato-san's response), Spoony-chan will be the one receiving the +2 instead.

Breezy: 0
Charon-chan: 0
Darkcharlie: 0
Dragonfree: 3
Eventidemjj: 5
Katsuro: 1
Light Azumarill: 2
Lilypichu: 0
Spoony-chan: 0
Yamato-san: 8 (7+1)
Spoony~chan: 2 (0+2)

Question #3: Pokemon Battle Creativity

It is a double battle against a Pidgeot and a Donphan. The opponent unleash a combo of Donphan using Earthquake, while Pidgeot releases a powerful Air Cutter to hit any flying/levitating Pokemon. Following the listed requirements down below, use a creative way for your two Pokemon to negate/nullify/evade the Earthquake-Air Cutter combo.

Requirements

-Use any narrative to any desired length to answer the question.
-You may alter the effect, appearance or shape of any Pokemon attack, but it must be sensible and within reasons.
-A Pokemon may use any attack it can learn through natural level up, any TM, any HM, any move tutor in any 3rd generation game version and/or any breeding moves.
-"Tanking" the attacks is *not* a way of negative, evading or nullify the attack. Sending a Skarmory to "tank" the attacks does not answer the question.
-The opponent's Pokemon have already unleashed the attacks. Knocking Donphan and Pidgeout out asap will *not* solve the problem. However, if your method of blocking the attack will also knock out Donphan and Pidgeot, you may do so.
-Assume that both of your Pokemon has 24% of their max hp, or less. Abuse this knowledge to the best of your ability, which you probably need to do so.
-The arena is an outdoor, rocky battlefield.
-There is no natural breeze during the day of battle. No Pokemon attacks have altered the cloudy weather.
-You may use any Pokemon of your choice that isn't a legendary, but only one of your Pokemon can be a flying type or has the Levitate ability.
-You may attach any items on to your Pokemon.
-You cannot switch out any Pokemon, or use any items.

Background Information for those who aren't very familiar with Pokemon attacks.
-Both Earthquake and Air Cutter are multi-target attacks. "Follow Me" doesn't work.
-Both attacks cannot be negated by Taunt.
-There are items that activate its special effect when a Pokemon's hp drop below 25%... finding out about them will definitely help you.
-Both attacks can be negated by Detect and/or Protect, but how interesting of a battle can it be if one sides just abuse protect/detect over and over again?

Answer is judged depending on creativity. Answers that rely heavily on luck factor (ex: Air Cutter "misses" the Pokemon as its accuracy is only 85%) will score less than others.

Start your answer with Pidgeot and Donphan unleashing their combo, and immediately end your response when your Pokemon have successfully negated/evaded/nullified the combination attack.

Last edited:

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
the opposing Pokemon are a Flygon and a Sudowoodo. After Donphan and Pidgeot unleash their attacks, Flygon gets behind Sudowoodo and uses Gust. It causes an updraft (Updraft being the technique's Japanese name, for that matter), and the main purpose of this is to throw Sudowoodo (which is pretty friggin light as far as rock-types go) into the air. If it's strong enough, and manages to be blowing in the opposite direction of the Air Cutter blades (which, I can assume, are circular gusts of air powerful enough to take on a sharp, physical form), it may also score the bonus of completely negating Air Cutter. Flygon has a better chance of pulling off this bonus than any other (non-legendary) Pokemon with Gust, because its attack power is the highest out of all those Pokemon, allowing it to create a wind powerful enough, and should it fail, it also has a better chance of surviving than all those other Pokemon because it's not a bug-type or grass-type (several bug/flying-types and Tropius learn Gust), and its got somewhat decent defense (the only exception being Pelipper, but its attack power is horrid). For that matter, the Gust won't do much to Sudowoodo due to its rock-type and high defense.

Anyway, Sudowoodo's thrown up into the air, allowing it to miss the Earthquake, and when it's either above or very closely above the opponents, it uses a Rock Slide (either it forms the rocks itself or manipulates the rocky ground to hurl rocks up into the air before coming down). The type advantage should severely damage Pidgeot, but not so much Donphan. However, if Flygon managed to survive the Air Cutter, and if Donphan gets distracted by Sudowoodo, Flygon could just shoot a Dragonbreath towards it.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
ZOMG, I keep forgetting to come back to this thread x_x I will eventually *has been writing HP and Digimon fics* Sowwy Fwosty~ ;_;

*probably won't answer this question because I'm terrible at strategy*

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
I'll "assume" that Dragonfree is still thinking her gut out at that strategy question... so, instead of waiting forever, I'll hold that question on a pause, still keeping it open, but we'll be moving on at the same time.

Question #4- Fix and Condense!
-Fix all grammar mistakes in the following quote, without changing its content.
-Try to shorten the quote as much as possible (in terms of word count, and not character count)

"Don't worry 2 much about it. Said the moderator, as she sighed in relief. "Certainly, im sure that there will be visitors here again, just like before. Pokemon won't just die off as if it is nothing, because itll creat great memories in everyone. Those people who remember Pokemon from the past will eventually find this last Pokemon forum there is, and they will make this place grow again from nothing! Your my friend and at least there's always me here to support you!"

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
Years
Can I try? If so, then...

"Don't worry to much about it." Sighed the moderator in relief. "I'm sure that there will be visitors here again. Pokemon won't just die off as if it is nothing. It'll create great memories in everyone. Those people who remember Pokemon from the past will eventually find this last Pokemon forum there is, and they will make this place grow again from nothing! Your my friend and at least there's always me here to support you!"

Black Lotus

AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!
Years
Frostweaver said:
Alakazam is very powerful against the aggressive forest residents; all except Beedrill swarms, that is.

Sorry if we are not allowed to discuss these things here, but I didn't see you ban it.

I disagree here. Beedrill is a part poison-type Pokemon, which makes him weak against psychic-types. To add that, Twin Needle, his best weapon against psychic-types, requires physical contact. Alakazam could shove it away with Psychic or Psybeam to keep it away. The Beedrill would probably be KOed by few moves. Alakazam could also teleport away when Beedrill gets close and again attack from a distance. If there is a swarm of Beedrills, like you said, Psywave would be ideal for the multiple targets. And again, Alakazam could just teleport to safety (along with his trainer).

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
Is it possible, when condensing the paragraph, to alter the structure and some of the words? (As in, me => I'll, or just rearranging some parts)...so as long as it keeps the context (and does it have to be wholly specific?)

Sankari

...gone.
Years
"Don't worry about it." Said the moderator as she sighed in relief. "I'm sure that there'll be visitors here again--like before. Pokemon won't die off as if it were nothing; it'll create great memories in everyone. Those people who remember Pokemon from the past will soon find this last Pokemon forum there is, and they will make this place grow again! Your my friend, and I'm always here to support you!"

Did I follow the rules...? ._.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Do anything you want Lily... if the question didn't say "you can't do ______" then you can do it.

Psywave is fixed damage, mind you... See that's always the problem with ghost and psychic types. They *can* do anything if it's willed to do anything, and you can't call it wrong regardless of how terrible the odds seem to be. (If we're treating Beedrills like the show, then there will always be at least 20+ Beedrills attacking at the same time.) Fainting Beedrills with Psywave isn't a very good solution (Psywave doesn't get its super effective bonus like other psychic attacks.)

At the same time, you can also argue that Beedrill got agility to dodge a fair amount of stuff. Twin Needle may not necessarily be its weapon of choice, as there's always Hidden Power Bug. So, kind of see how the argument can always bend both ways if you have to be technical? It *does* work to say that Psychic can do anything, but remember that in fanfics, the most creative strategy always wins. Recall how everyone whined in the Pokemon anime about some of the gym battles. Charizard's first usage of Seismic Toss against Magmar is well loved, but everyone is so tired of Seismic Toss being capable of fainting anything later.

Noctowl's "Confusion throughout the whole building to hit an invisible Gengar" is considered lame. It does work because it's psychic powers, but it's a weaker argument in comparison to what Morty is offering. Morty forced Ash to waste energy on Foresight so Gengar will hit Noctowl when it is concentrating. It's either that, or Noctowl is forced to dodge forever because it doesn't know where Gengar is hiding in the shadows. In comparison, the tougher yet more logical pressure provided by Morty is liked more than Ash's rather simple response to it.

The last example is the previous question... using protect to block a lot of attacks work, but it's definitely loathed by experience Pokemon fanfic readers. Protect is totally abused by inexperienced writers (not all, but most of the time) to get a Pokemon out of a tough situation, in the laziest way possible. It works, but we readers are so tired of it... Most usage of "Mysterious Powers" and the likes make all readers cry real bad...

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
Years
(Has no place in this but...)

Doesn't Protect (and Detect) used to block many attacks fail within the long run (EDIT: Or all together after the first shot.) considering the fact Protect losses accuracy the more its used?

Actually surprised Protect was used so much really. Thought it was one of those dead moves no one pays heed to.

prolific_rhapsody

Paradox in Paradigm
Years
Okay, FINALLY! I am back in action! Number 4:

"Don't worry about it. Said the moderator, sighing in relief. "I'm sure that there will be visitors here again, just like before. Pokemon won't die off like nothing, because it'll create memories in everyone. People who remember Pokemon from the past will find this last Pokemon forum, and they'll make this place grow again from nothing! You're my friend and there's always me here to support you!"

I'm going to regain leadership! Bwahaha! *Stands up and goes to bed and sucks thumb while holding teddy asleep*

prolific_rhapsody

Paradox in Paradigm
Years
The question:

Question #3: Pokemon Battle Creativity
It is a double battle against a Pidgeot and a Donphan. The opponent unleash a combo of Donphan using Earthquake, while Pidgeot releases a powerful Air Cutter to hit any flying/levitating Pokemon. Following the listed requirements down below, use a creative way for your two Pokemon to negate/nullify/evade the Earthquake-Air Cutter combo.

Requirements
-Use any narrative to any desired length to answer the question.
-You may alter the effect, appearance or shape of any Pokemon attack, but it must be sensible and within reasons.
-A Pokemon may use any attack it can learn through natural level up, any TM, any HM, any move tutor in any 3rd generation game version and/or any breeding moves.
-"Tanking" the attacks is *not* a way of negative, evading or nullify the attack. Sending a Skarmory to "tank" the attacks does not answer the question.
-The opponent's Pokemon have already unleashed the attacks. Knocking Donphan and Pidgeout out asap will *not* solve the problem. However, if your method of blocking the attack will also knock out Donphan and Pidgeot, you may do so.
-Assume that both of your Pokemon has 24% of their max hp, or less. Abuse this knowledge to the best of your ability, which you probably need to do so.
-The arena is an outdoor, rocky battlefield.
-There is no natural breeze during the day of battle. No Pokemon attacks have altered the cloudy weather.
-You may use any Pokemon of your choice that isn't a legendary, but only one of your Pokemon can be a flying type or has the Levitate ability.
-You may attach any items on to your Pokemon.
-You cannot switch out any Pokemon, or use any items.

Background Information for those who aren't very familiar with Pokemon attacks.
-Both Earthquake and Air Cutter are multi-target attacks. "Follow Me" doesn't work.
-Both attacks cannot be negated by Taunt.
-There are items that activate its special effect when a Pokemon's hp drop below 25%... finding out about them will definitely help you.
-Both attacks can be negated by Detect and/or Protect, but how interesting of a battle can it be if one sides just abuse protect/detect over and over again?

Answer is judged depending on creativity. Answers that rely heavily on luck factor (ex: Air Cutter "misses" the Pokemon as its accuracy is only 85%) will score less than others.

Start your answer with Pidgeot and Donphan unleashing their combo, and immediately end your response when your Pokemon have successfully negated/evaded/nullified the combination attack.

The answer (in story format, if that's okay. If you need the answer in a different way, tell me.):
My pokemon are Flygon and Medichan.

"Pidgeot, Air Cutter! Donphan, Earthquake!" said the opposing trainer, in a desperate pursuit for the victory of the battle.
"Flygon, use your Levitate ability! Medichan, Protect!" yelled Sean, in a rush trying to keep his Pokemon conscious in the fray.

I know that this was a bit of a fakeout, but I'm not very good with questions like this...

Last edited:
Back