• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lorem Ipsum - The Language Club!

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
こんにちわ! Sign me up please.

What languages do you speak, and how well do you speak them?

I speak English, I'm kind of bummed that my school didn't offer any languages other than the standard ones which I was fairly bored with (due to bad teachers, probably). So, my additional languages are:

GCSE French (learnt up until I was 16)
German (learnt for two years in school, remember very little).
Japanese (self-teaching myself at the moment, I have katakana and hirigana down and I am working on my vocab, particles and sentence structure.

Also, what are some online tools that you use to help learn?

I used apps for learning my japanese syllables, and it helped for some words, however now I am using online websites as well as books. :)

droomph

weeb
Years
こんにちわ! Sign me up please.

I speak English, I'm kind of bummed that my school didn't offer any languages other than the standard ones which I was fairly bored with (due to bad teachers, probably). So, my additional languages are:

GCSE French (learnt up until I was 16)
German (learnt for two years in school, remember very little).
Japanese (self-teaching myself at the moment, I have katakana and hirigana down and I am working on my vocab, particles and sentence structure.

I used apps for learning my japanese syllables, and it helped for some words, however now I am using online websites as well as books. :)
じゃねー

なにをならった?

Well, I mean you're in college so you can take some courses while you're there! Well, wish you luck, and welcome to the club!

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I've actually graduated, I'm now a full time worker huzzah. Does mean I'm kind of juggling everything :L, not much free time to learn.

droomph

weeb
Years
I've actually graduated, I'm now a full time worker huzzah. Does mean I'm kind of juggling everything :L, not much free time to learn.

wut

well even on the way home from work (if you take the subway or something) if you can squeeze in a couple minutes of learning that'll be more than enough to take something out of it.

Years
こんにちは、SwiftSignさん!
I have absolutely nothing to do for another few weeks now, so I can study all I want. My only problem is that I get distracted really easily. I can be studying one minute and watching videos of cats the next.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
안녕하세요! 저는 멜린다 입니다.
こんにちわ! わたし は メリンダ です。
您好!我梅林达。

I don't remember seeing this club before, but I'd really like to join. :D
Love languages.

English - It is my second language, but as I've almost forgotten my first language, Khmer, I just tell people it's my first language. :)
Khmer - My speaking skills are decent, but I can't read it worth anything. :/ I plan to relearn everything I've forgotten.
Japanese - I took 2 years in high school. It's been a while so I'm refreshing my memory on it right now and taking more classes in college soon.
Korean - Teaching myself. :B Kind of obsessive really.
Mandarin - Currently learning this as well! It will be help in communicating with family members. I've just started learning Mandarin so I'm not very good at it. >~< I will take classes for Mandarin in college as well.

For Korean I use this site. It's really amazing and I recommend it for anyone interested in Korean. I also learn from watching Korean dramas and things like that.
For Mandarin I'm mostly using apps on my phone like "Mindsnacks: Mandarin".

droomph

weeb
Years
안녕하세요! 저는 멜린다 입니다.
こんにちわ! わたし は メリンダ です。
您好!我梅林达。

I don't remember seeing this club before, but I'd really like to join. :D
Love languages.

English - It is my second language, but as I've almost forgotten my first language, Khmer, I just tell people it's my first language. :)
Khmer - My speaking skills are decent, but I can't read it worth anything. :/ I plan to relearn everything I've forgotten.
Japanese - I took 2 years in high school. It's been a while so I'm refreshing my memory on it right now and taking more classes in college soon.
Korean - Teaching myself. :B Kind of obsessive really.
Mandarin - Currently learning this as well! It will be help in communicating with family members. I've just started learning Mandarin so I'm not very good at it. >~< I will take classes for Mandarin in college as well.

For Korean I use this site. It's really amazing and I recommend it for anyone interested in Korean. I also learn from watching Korean dramas and things like that.
For Mandarin I'm mostly using apps on my phone like "Mindsnacks: Mandarin".

I've been meaning to learn korean, that should help :p

---

khmer is related to thai and such right? I think I could use that, though the learning the writing is awful. (what do you mean the a goes before the letter it's after i will travel back in time and murder you)

ehhhh mandarin. I speak like a 4th grader in terms of vocabulary. I speak it very well, but I literally can't stand the r sound that pops up so I try to not speak it when I can. But when I do people say I speak it well for a person who hasn't been in China for 14 years :p (I want to learn Cantonese, because it sounds a lot less rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr………what else do you want to learn?)

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I've been meaning to learn korean, that should help :p

---

khmer is related to thai and such right? I think I could use that, though the learning the writing is awful. (what do you mean the a goes before the letter it's after i will travel back in time and murder you)

ehhhh mandarin. I speak like a 4th grader in terms of vocabulary. I speak it very well, but I literally can't stand the r sound that pops up so I try to not speak it when I can. But when I do people say I speak it well for a person who hasn't been in China for 14 years :p (I want to learn Cantonese, because it sounds a lot less rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr………what else do you want to learn?)
I love learning Korean! Once you start we can converse in Korean to help each other learn. <3

To be honest I can't even tell Thai and Khmer apart letters. xD It's so sad. People make fun of me for not being able to tell the difference. Because of that I tend to pretend I just don't know Khmer all together.

I love Mandarin so far. I want to learn Cantonese as well, but I want to be able to speak Mandarin well first. Other languages I want to learn are Vietnamese, Thai, French, and Spanish. I think I'm addicted to languages.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years

I speak both English and French. I'm French-Canadian, who actually learned English first (My mother is Anglophone so it's ridiculous to assume that I would learn in French at home). I ended up taking my schooling in French though, and since I have a lot of French speaking relatives I'm pretty conversational in each language. I consider myself fully bilingual because I can read, write and speak both.

My new language of choice is German. We'll see how it turns out.

I don't use any online resources actually. I've learnt my very minuscule German from friends who speak it.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
You guys are all just blowing me out the water! We've got a huge variety of languages :o.

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
You guys are all just blowing me out the water! We've got a huge variety of languages :o.
I know right! I hope the list of languages gets even bigger.

Years
To be honest I can't even tell Thai and Khmer apart letters. xD It's so sad. People make fun of me for not being able to tell the difference. Because of that I tend to pretend I just don't know Khmer all together.

Thai and Khmer characters are very intimidating to look at. It's very interesting, though.

Anyway, has anyone ever tried learning Hawaiian? It sounds very nice, but there aren't too many native speakers as far as I know.

droomph

weeb
Years
Anyway, has anyone ever tried learning Hawaiian? It sounds very nice, but there aren't too many native speakers as far as I know.
I tried, and the TV show for it is nice, but really not my style :p to this day I really only know a couple of words and the phonology :\

Also, rumors, but I heard that Tahitian sounds a lot better than even Hawaiian.

Thai and Khmer characters are very intimidating to look at. It's very interesting, though.
yeah this is annoying honestly :p

What's really weird is that with abugidas, the "a" sound is almost always really convoluted, with like diacritics that stretch before the letter, and it's just ahhhh I mean I learned Arabic but Thai I just can't figure out with the method I used for Arabic :c

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
There's a TV show for learning Hawaiian? :OOOO

I don't know how closely related Thai is supposed to be to Khmer, but it's so confusing when I'm trying to learn it. xD I have someone trying to teach and I'm just like "........".

droomph

weeb
Years
There's a TV show for learning Hawaiian? :OOOO

I don't know how closely related Thai is supposed to be to Khmer, but it's so confusing when I'm trying to learn it. xD I have someone trying to teach and I'm just like "........".

It ran in the 90s in Hawaii Public Broadcast or something so it's not like we're talking about national TV :P

and i've pretty much given up on thai. it's like wtf do you want from meeeeeee

Years
Hello everyone.

I guess I could do with little introduction of myself, I'm a bilingual person who speaks Korean and English, I guess you could say I'm quite fluent in both. As for future possible language acquisitions... I'll probably look into German.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
The only language I have any substantial amount of knowledge in is English. However, I've recently started learning Korean! Korean Pop music sparked my desire to learn and I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to understand all kinds of Korean media. At the moment I've just been working on learning Hangul (the Korean alphabet) and how each character is pronounced. The consonants have been giving me a bit of trouble with the differences between beginning and ending consonants, but I'll get it eventually.

Being an anime fan, I'd also like to learn Japanese eventually. Dubs are usually inferior compared to the original so it'd be great to experience anime in the way it was originally intended without having to read subtitles. However, I don't want to get ahead of myself, so I'll take baby steps when it comes to diversifying my language capabilities.

I originally used this set of videos to take my first steps into the language. I've also watched a few of the basic vocabulary videos from that same channel, but I want to get the alphabet down before I go any deeper into actual conversation. I believe it's best to have a strong foundation in the language before learning words or phrases. Understanding why certain words are spelled/pronounced the way they are is better than just memorizing them and what they mean.

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
The only language I have any substantial amount of knowledge in is English. However, I've recently started learning Korean! Korean Pop music sparked my desire to learn and I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to understand all kinds of Korean media. At the moment I've just been working on learning Hangul (the Korean alphabet) and how each character is pronounced. The consonants have been giving me a bit of trouble with the differences between beginning and ending consonants, but I'll get it eventually.

Being an anime fan, I'd also like to learn Japanese eventually. Dubs are usually inferior compared to the original so it'd be great to experience anime in the way it was originally intended without having to read subtitles. However, I don't want to get ahead of myself, so I'll take baby steps when it comes to diversifying my language capabilities.

I originally used this set of videos to take my first steps into the language. I've also watched a few of the basic vocabulary videos from that same channel, but I want to get the alphabet down before I go any deeper into actual conversation. I believe it's best to have a strong foundation in the language before learning words or phrases. Understanding why certain words are spelled/pronounced the way they are is better than just memorizing them and what they mean.
I forgot about those videos! I saw them on Youtube, but never really took the time to watch them. I think those will be useful. :D I'm currently working on my grammar and spelling. Sentence structures, omg. Don't even..... e.e

Years
한국어를 배우는데 도움이 필요하시다면 뭐든지 저한테 물어보세요 ^_^

Spoiler:

Edit: Wow, I didn't know there was an emoticon for that particular smiley. Other than that I'm quite surprised a lot of people here want to learn Korean.

Last edited:

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
I forgot about those videos! I saw them on Youtube, but never really took the time to watch them. I think those will be useful. :D I'm currently working on my grammar and spelling. Sentence structures, omg. Don't even..... e.e

Oh man. Isn't it a subject-object-verb structure instead of the English Subject-verb-object structure? So instead of "I play Pokémon.", it would be "I Pokémon play." When I was reading about learning the language a lot of people said that was the hardest part.

한국어를 배우는데 도움이 필요하시다면 뭐든지 저한테 물어보세요 ^_^

Spoiler:

Edit: Wow, I didn't know there was an emoticon for that particular smiley. Other than that I'm quite surprised a lot of people here want to learn Korean.

Thanks for that offer! I'm pretty surprised as well. I would have thought that Japanese would have been more popular because of Anime. :P

Last edited:
Back