• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

>Dante< Tutorial: How to change correctly the Intro hero in FR/LG

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2010
^^

no problem ^^

No problem..
there are some good sprite made by Kyledove...
that are an example..
newheroeshp5wk2.png

How do I convert it into OSE?

~Trebuh~

Jiggles, The legendary fairy
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Hey I have a question.
When I paste the intro's sprite it looks like this:
sanstitrexxy.png

It's normal?
Hmm,Try pasting it again,but this time,use paint,not photoshop,Then continue with the tutorial,Hope that helps :D

Last edited:

Zanny77

I'm back, baby!
Years
I'm having the same problem as mineowyn. Anyone know what's going on?

Last edited:

>Dante<

Call me Steven
Years
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what went wrong? I tried to insert the fire red hero's sprite into the heroine's intro but it still came out like that even though I edited the palette and all. btw I'm using gimp..

wrong_colour.png

I'm having the same problem as mineowyn. Anyone know what's going on?
if I'm not wrong, the motive for this error is that you have also imported the palette on UNLZ together with the image..

you retry exactly following all the passages as in the images, and you verify that you have correctly selected all the options...

Hey I have a question.
When I paste the intro's sprite it looks like this:
sanstitrexxy.png

It's normal?
try to past it into paint after you have put the original palette to the image

1636pokemonfireredversi.png

Can someone tell me the problem?
you don't have correctly indexed the image..
the color that you have used for the background is not correct..
and as it regards the palette...
same thing that I have said to mineowyn and Zanny77.

School days again...
Years
if I'm not wrong, the motive for this error is that you have also imported the palette on UNLZ together with the image..

you retry exactly following all the passages as in the images, and you verify that you have correctly selected all the options...

try to past it into paint after you have put the original palette to the image

you don't have correctly indexed the image..
the color that you have used for the background is not correct..
and as it regards the palette...
same thing that I have said to mineowyn and Zanny77.

Here's my problem, when I pasted the new intro hero to the old intro hero, the new intro hero losts its true colors.

libgcc.png
lilc.png

Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2009
Awesome tutorial! Thank you so much for writing it, it really helped :D

I have a problem where the sprites' colours are a tiny bit lost when in game. I took pictures and everything but I can't post them because of the '15 posts or more' thing, so :| Anyway, the bigger problem:

For the hero and rival sprites, they both mess up after they are named (after the professor asks you to give a name to them in game). The hero's hair turns green in the highlights and the rival is just completely messed up, except for the skin.

So I used APE to replace the palettes, but I'm probably doing something wrong--I went to photoshop -> colour table -> save to export the 256 colour palette, then imported that .act file into APE. I know that APE only accepts 16 colours while I'm using 256, so do I have to downgrade the sprite into 16 colour mode or is there some other way to make it not mess up?

>Dante<

Call me Steven
Years
Here's my problem, when I pasted the new intro hero to the old intro hero, the new intro hero losts its true colors.

libgcc.png
lilc.png
It insn't a problem..
you can chanhe you palettes later..
al tuo sprite vengono applycate le palette dello sprite base di FR/LG..
you can change it whit APE
APE offset:
Boy intro ------>0046161C
Rival Intro ---->004623B0
Prof intro ----->004623B4
Girl Intro ------>00460EF0

Awesome tutorial! Thank you so much for writing it, it really helped :D

I have a problem where the sprites' colours are a tiny bit lost when in game. I took pictures and everything but I can't post them because of the '15 posts or more' thing, so :| Anyway, the bigger problem:

For the hero and rival sprites, they both mess up after they are named (after the professor asks you to give a name to them in game). The hero's hair turns green in the highlights and the rival is just completely messed up, except for the skin.

So I used APE to replace the palettes, but I'm probably doing something wrong--I went to photoshop -> colour table -> save to export the 256 colour palette, then imported that .act file into APE. I know that APE only accepts 16 colours while I'm using 256, so do I have to downgrade the sprite into 16 colour mode or is there some other way to make it not mess up?
Your problem is very common..
I recommend you to color with the exact colors of the sprite of FR/LG, your sprite..
in this way you won't have any problem with the colors..

As it regards to care the colors from Photoshop to APE, it is a wrong thing..
it doesn't serve..
it is a part that there is not in the tutorial..
if you your sprite with the same colors base of FR/LG, then you can change after your palettes with the colors that you prefer..
== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
For everybody
I advise to always color your sprites with the colors base of the original sprites that you want to replace.
The colors them you can change subsequently thanks to APE...
in the first post there are the whole offsets for the sprites.

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
this isnt a bad tut,lve tried a long time ago and oaks bottom legs were there as well as the jacked up hero.perhaps you should also make a trainer card tut as well.

Vednix

:D
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 13, 2010
Is there an easier way to do this? I don't have photoshop and VBA keeps saving my .act as a .pal

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2013
i tried it, and the tutorial works!

but...

after i edit the intro hero, my hacked fire red locks up if i press START once the game starts.. :(

EDIT: by "hacked fire red", i meant it was a fire red rom that i hacked, it hasn't been hacked yet before i hacked this new intro hero sprite in..

Last edited:
Years
Excellent tutorial, but it doesn't work for me. I don't use Photoshop, I use PhotoImpact, which does allow me to import a palette, but when i do, the black and white sprite does not change colours correctly, the sprite just becomes a dominantly dark shade of gray. It's a great tutorial, it's just a pity i can't get it to work. Well done!

Back