• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Kalos Crystal - Completed ROM Hack (Unova Red sequel)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Online now
Hack of Pokemon Crystal Version (using the Pokecrystal disassembly).

Kalos Crystal is a sequel to my previous hack, Unova Red. This is a re-imagining of Generation 2, where the first generation of Pokemon were the Unova Pokedex, and the new second generation Pokemon are the Kalos Pokedex. This game features all Pokemon from generations 5 and 6, and like in Unova Red, all Pokemon in the Pokedex are obtainable within a single playthrough.

Features:
-Pokedex includes Gen 5 & 6 Pokemon (Victini through Volcanion)
-All standard trade evolutions are now level up evolutions. Stone evolutions use stones available in Gen 2. Refer to spoiler log for details
-Fairy Type added, does SPECIAL damage
-New moves added, replacing some old ones
-Moves, in general, match stats used in Gen 6 games
-Ghost is SPECIAL, Dark is PHYSICAL
-Some TMs changed, refer to spoiler log for details
-TMs are still one-time use, however
-Some evolutions changed/made easier
-New locations added for evolution stones (they are notoriously rare in Gen 2). Refer to spoiler log for details
-Ruins of Alph event requires all 4 puzzles to be solved, so don't be discouraged when nothing happens after the first puzzle.
-New Pokemon encounters/gifts have been added, so keep an eye out!
-The final Rival encounter is now a one time battle, and not based on the day
-The Elite Four become stronger after collecting all KANTO gym badges

Credits:
This ROM hack was made possible by the PokeCrystal Disassembly. Credits to Rangi, as well as Mateo, Crystal, and Danny-E33 whose advice and code snippets aided in the coding of this hack.
Huge credits to the artists whose in-battle sprite work was used in this hack: COMBOY for the Gen 5 sprites, and JaceDeane for the Gen 6 collection, with individual sprite credits to Chamber, Solo993, Gen VI 64x64, N-Kin, Zorgoth120, WAH!, PiaCarrot, XY Sprite Proj., Incufan120, Fexiled, Hooded_Bird, Kyledove, Zerudez, Monnotonnous Pixels, Vale98PM, Dragonball253, Axel-Comics, Noscium, Faintster, Mylittlekeldeo, Tor2005, Lakeofdance, Neslug, Jozzer26, Pokemon Grape, Fenne-King, Falgaia, Lepragon. Other custom sprites, such as overworld sprites, were made by me.

Download Link:
.mediafire.com/file/1wxza9gcrfd75g6/Kalos+Crystal.zip
Link comes with the .ips patch for Kalos Crystal (patches the base Crystal Version ROM that Pokecrystal builds), a readme with much of the same points as above, and some spoiler logs where you can get information on al Pokemon locations, learnsets, evolution methods and levels, TMs, and new stone locations.

This ROM hack is effectively complete. All of its intended features have been accounted for, so there will likely not be any major updates incoming unless there is some game breaking bug that I'd somehow missed. Any suggestions for anything that needs tweaking or cleaning up is appreciated. Have fun!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Online now
Yes, and the Unova starters (and the other 2 Kalos starters) can be obtained later in the game. I'm still writing up the document listing where every Pokemon can be found.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
I wanna play this, but I'm very cautious about playing Hacks/Games with no provided screenshots.
Especially if the first comment on the post says "Virus Detected!!!"

Is there some screenshots you could post?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Online now
screencap1.png

screencap2.png

screencap3.png

Ok, here are some screencaps from the early game. Also, I don't know who that guy is. I think he's confused or something. Hope you enjoy if you decide to play!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Online now
How does Sylveon work if its only Gen 5 and 6?

Sylveon is effectively treated as a stand-alone Pokemon with no evolutions or pre-evolutions. So if you hatch an egg from one, you get a baby Sylveon.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
virus detected

It's not from the uploaded file. Mediafire can sometimes pop up an ad that's malicious. If you're unsure, scan the file on virustotal.

Also, I really like the idea of this. I love crystal hacks and it's nice to see gen 5 and 6 included.

Also, would you (OP) be okay with uploading the source again?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Online now
It's not from the uploaded file. Mediafire can sometimes pop up an ad that's malicious. If you're unsure, scan the file on virustotal.

Also, I really like the idea of this. I love crystal hacks and it's nice to see gen 5 and 6 included.

Also, would you (OP) be okay with uploading the source again?

Sure, I'll get it uploaded later today. Thanks, hope you enjoy it!

Years
When you make the deal for pokemon locations, maybe add a attachment to the first post with the list as well for the people who already downloaded the patch and the provided documents that were already in the download itself.

Just a suggestion.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Online now
When you make the deal for pokemon locations, maybe add a attachment to the first post with the list as well for the people who already downloaded the patch and the provided documents that were already in the download itself.

Just a suggestion.

Right, that would make it easier than downloading the whole thing again. Will do!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Online now
I wonder if you have plans for an Alola Emerald or something later down the line.

That's funny, when I started on Kalos Crystal, Alola Emerald was the name I immediately thought of for a possible 3rd game, haha. I'll probably wait and see if Kalos Crystal needs any fixing, or if I want to do new modes like the Challenge Mode for Unova Red, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been thinking of how I'd plan out a Gen 3 game.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Hey, how did you change Ghost to special type in the source? Was it difficult or time consuming?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Online now
Hey, how did you change Ghost to special type in the source? Was it difficult or time consuming?

It was pretty simple. In /constants/type_constants.asm, the constants are defined as physical first, then some dummy entries (as well as the ??? type for Curse), then the special types. I just switched Ghost with Dark, since I wanted Dark to be physical. If you want to only change ghost to special, you could move the line "const GHOST" from the physical section and into the special section.

Then in the file /data/types/names.asm, there's a list of types at the top. These need to be in the same order as the types in the constants file, so if you swapped Ghost with Dark, then switch the "dw Dark" line with the "dw Ghost" line. Or if, say, you'd moved the "const GHOST" line to the bottom of the special types, after "const DARK", you'd just move the "dw Ghost" line to be after "dw Dark", so the order is the same in both files. Those two files are all you'd need to change.

Also, I finally got the source code uploaded, here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/file/30bzd829q86h8r7/kalos_crystal_source.zip

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Before I play this, I have the following question to ask.

How does Kalos Crystal interact with Unova Red? Will the Time Machine still flag Shadow Ball and other moves that exist in Unova Red, but not in vanilla RBY, as moves that can't be traded back? It would be a little disappointing if this is the case, as non-legendary Psychics were all generally very, very bad in Unova Red.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Online now
Before I play this, I have the following question to ask.

How does Kalos Crystal interact with Unova Red? Will the Time Machine still flag Shadow Ball and other moves that exist in Unova Red, but not in vanilla RBY, as moves that can't be traded back? It would be a little disappointing if this is the case, as non-legendary Psychics were all generally very, very bad in Unova Red.

I'm honestly not sure how trading between games would work. It wasn't something I'd put much thought into, since the games were designed to be fully playable on a single game file without needing external hardware or software mods to allow linking multiple games.

It would likely have some funny results, as the movelists aren't in the same order in both games. For example, in Unova Red, Shadow Ball was placed into the move list in place of some Gen 1 move (say, Egg Bomb, for example), but in Kalos Crystal, since Shadow Ball already existed in the movelist, there was no need to swap its position, so the Egg Bomb slot was replaced instead by some other move new to both Gen 1 and 2 (say, Fairy Wind, for example). So assuming those were the moves, if a Pokemon with Shadow Ball was transferred to Kalos Crystal, Shadow Ball would be replaced with whatever move is in that same index (Fairy Wind in this example).

Then again, this would only occur if you've got some kind of external hardware or software allowing communication between the ROMs.

On the other hand, in game trades work just fine, and since I didn't mess with the code for trades, theoretically it should work fine to trade between two Kalos Crystal ROMs if you've got a setup to do that. Same for two Unova Red ROMs as well.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I'm liking this mod a lot. A few moves aren't on par with Gen V/VI though. Thief should be 60 Pow and have 25 PP. Minimize should be 20 PP in my opinion, because it raises evasion by only one level. Same with Growth, as in only raises Sp. Atk, not both offensive stats.

Still haven't run into any glitches or oddities, so far, so good. :)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Online now
I'm liking this mod a lot. A few moves aren't on par with Gen V/VI though. Thief should be 60 Pow and have 25 PP. Minimize should be 20 PP in my opinion, because it raises evasion by only one level. Same with Growth, as in only raises Sp. Atk, not both offensive stats.

Still haven't run into any glitches or oddities, so far, so good. :)

Ah, you're right, I must have missed Thief when I was going over to see what moves had changed. I must have misread it as Gen 7 instead of 6 for the change. That's a good suggestion for the other moves' PP. I'll implement these edits in a minor update soon, I've also got a few minor text/spelling errors to fix at the same time.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, thanks!

Back