• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best RPG of All Time?

Years
Golden Sun, both the original GBA games and Dark dawn for the DS. The absolute best in my opinion. Played the hell out of those games for years.

OrangeNess

Layton Lover
Years
I'm so sorry, but I can't pick just one. RPG is my favorite genre, and there are sooooooo many. I'll give my top 5 instead:
1. MOTHER 3- Fantastic story, great gameplay, and humorus
2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door- This is my favorite Paper Mario, due to the battle system, humor, and funness
3. EarthBound- Amazing RPG with once again good humor, and such a quirky cast
4. Super Paper Mario- This is on here for nostalgic purposes. This was the first Wii game I ever beat, let alone tried to beat. I find it very fun and full of humor
5. Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten- A great stragety RPG that is just as funny as the other games I have mentioned. It looks flat our ridiculous, but I can assure you, it is not an easy game.
Sobasically, you have an RPG that makes me laugh, I'm sold. :)

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
Brave Fencer Musashi for the PSX. It used the same engine as FF VII (before Square merged with Enix). I also believe it had been heavily underrated.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Golden Sun, both the original GBA games and Dark dawn for the DS. The absolute best in my opinion. Played the hell out of those games for years.

wait Dark Dawn...? I played it and found it to be kinda boring D: Did I miss something significant there or what?

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
Pre BC World of Warcraft is the longest I've ever played an MMO (I played about 5 years). Offline best RPG would be Oblivion (2 years played).

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
I'd say either Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect or The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. Mass Effect has a great story which is pretty darn important in RPGs imo, Dragon Age Origins has a good story, loads of customization options and the setting is great, and I have yet to come across a game with a better atmosphere and better music that TLOZ OOT.

BeausaHD

The Beau In HD
Years
One of these:
Skyrim- Big world, extensive customization, wide variety of enemies.
Dark Souls- Probably the most challenging game ever, real sense of achievement if completed.
Mass Effect 2: Amazing Characters, Amazing Story, Amazing Game.
Borderlands 2: Ridiculous amount of guns, ok story, big world, very long game.

dcjboi

With Quiet Courage
Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
Fallout 3 and NV: Not counting the plotholes in FO3 these are my favorite console RPG games of this generation (That I've played)

Pokemon Mystery Dugeon Sky/Darkness/Time: The gameplay from the first release in the series plus more pokemon more dungeons and a tearjerking plot. Although it's a spinoff, it isn't given the credit it deserved.

Pokemon Coliseum: My favorite 3D pokemon game so far. New region, new type of pokemon, a new plot as in there is no more 8 gyms and then elite four, the best 3D graphics for a pokemon game in its time. Definitely my favorite game of the 3rd generation.

*edit* Paper Mario: The thousand year door: favorite game in the mario series and I had to give it to this game that I've replayed 3 times. All the characters are so likable and the plot is enticing to me as well as the plot

Also the Final Fantasy series: I've heard so much about this series that I've just had to play it. It is obviously longrunning and even though I haven't played FF7, it's influence has a wide margin

Last edited:
Years
Pokemon Mystery Dugeon Sky/Darkness/Time: The gameplay from the first release in the series plus more pokemon more dungeons and a tearjerking plot. Although it's a spinoff, it isn't given the credit it deserved.

*edit* Paper Mario: The thousand year door: favorite game in the mario series and I had to give it to this game that I've replayed 3 times. All the characters are so likable and the plot is enticing to me as well as the plot

Also the Final Fantasy series: I've heard so much about this series that I've just had to play it. It is obviously longrunning and even though I haven't played FF7, it's influence has a wide margin
I absolutely adore Mystery Dungeon, great RPG and spin-off; it made me grow closer to Pokemon, because we see a different aspect of it where you are the Pokemon as opposed to the Trainer thus making it an amazing RPG for me, being a Pokemon fan and all.

As for Paper Mario and Final Fantasy, I am definitely gonna give them both a try, I have read a lot of good reviews that class them as some of the greatest RPGs to date, and by the looks of it, they don't seem too shabby.

Years
according to my tastes, the best RPG was .....

Final Fantasy VIII :knockedou.
Reason: This was my first RPG that i have played, and i like the combination between magic and technology that have that game. Besides, I loved driving the Ragnarok, and the design of Guardian Forces and the differents ways to obtain them. And the minigame Triple Triad was so adictive, but i still have the random, plus and wall rules.

In the second place i must say that the Dragon Quest 8 that was a nice surprise for me, because the great amount of additional content, like the battles with monster (like pokemon) and the armors, and i like the change of some armors were reflected in the characters when you complete all the set.

And in third place a tie between Chrono Trigger and the Final fantasy VII, because their fantastic stories, and in the case of chrono the posibility of multiple finals.

Special mention for Final Fantasy X for the blitzball minigame, that was a great minigame, even the second time i played that game, the most part of the game i occupied in playing the blitzball and founding character for my team :cool:

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
Years
Chinese Paladin, hands down. (Or "The Legend of Sword and Fairy", I guess, if you know that name instead...) I had the fortune to play the game as a very young child (four years old ... yeah, I started reading early) and it is honestly the game that has affected me the most psychologically - I've replayed it countless times over the years. I honestly hate the TV series, for anyone that has seen it, because it doesn't at all convey the spirit of the game.

Back