• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Public/Private

Years
Kind of a broad topic, but how do you feeling about the line between public and private? Where do you think it lies (or where you think it should lie)?

If that's too broad, then here are some other questions: Should some things always be public or private? Do certain situations (flying on a plane or speaking to police) or people (such as politicians, celebrities, or children) change what should be public and private? What is privacy? Is privacy a right or privilege?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Privacy is a right. Those exact words don't appear in the Constitution, but it is implied in the Constitution.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Privacy is a necessary human right. It's one of the few basic ways in which we can protect our own interests from others who would do us harm.

Years
Okay, so if privacy is a right, how far does it extend? Should I be allowed to keep my name private or what kind of job I have?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I'm in a very contradictory camp of, at first, on say some new measure of some sort being propose, I'd probably be like "Well, you have no reason to worry if you have nothing to hide"... until I end up being the group they're watching XD Even if I have nothing to hide.

The police (broad-term) should go back to full-fledged policing and detective work. Surveillance and waiting catch someone in the act is not really how they're supposed to go about it.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Okay, so if privacy is a right, how far does it extend? Should I be allowed to keep my name private or what kind of job I have?

That depends on who you are, and who is infringing on your privacy. You have the utmost right to privacy against government intrusion, such as surveillance by government entities, or laws that limit your rights to make your own decisions in life. Private parties also cannot trespass on your property, tap your phone calls or emails, etc. Your name isn't private information, since your name is what you want to be referred to by by others. It's also kind of hard to keep the nature of your employment private, since most jobs will require you to interact with the public. Generally, the courts have ruled that you don't have an expectation of privacy when you don't try to keep the information in question hidden from the public.

Public figures (politicians, celebrities, etc.) have a diminished expectation of privacy. While we all can agree that politicians are public servants, so the public deserves to know about them, celebrities are not political representatives, so should they have a diminished expectation of privacy just because the nature or their work has them in the media often? It is even more controversial when people become public figures through no fault of their own. For example, people who are charged with a serious crime and garner a lot of media attention are considered to be public figures, even if they are later acquitted for the charges against them.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years
I believe it's also safe to say that anything that would fall under privileged communication should remain private to the extent of the law.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
So long as you're not causing others harm through it, I don't see why not.

Years
In the post 9-11 world, the line between the two is blurred and distorted. You have a right to privacy. Personal beliefs and decisions, actions, practices, etc, that don't harm your average citizen are yours and yours alone.

Back