• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Hack of the Quarter - 2012

Hack of the Quarter?

• Pokémon CrystalDust

Votes: 69 27.2%
  • Pokémon Snakewood

Votes: 117 46.1%
  • Pokémon Dark Future

Votes: 68 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
My vote is for Pokemon Snakewood. It kept me interested the entire way through & it was really funny & felt different.

From my personal experience playing these hacks & 60-70% of the other hacks on PC, the "Omg such amazing graphics! Ahhhhh!" doesn't make me want to keep playing. Yeah, they're really cool to look at, but after awhile, it becomes boring if the story isn't fun. I'd choose a very good plot over graphics any day. I enjoyed Snakewood over all of these hacks with newer tiles because it pulled me into the experience. Imagine a full hack with beautiful new tiles but a boring story? Seems like that's what PC hackers are going for these days...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
My vote went to CrystalDust, FTR, as it is a challenge to remake an existing game on another game's platform. I know Liquid Crystal did the same thing porting to FireRed, and there are still bugs being ironed out of that. This is after four years

Cyclone

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
I voted for Snakewood because that's the only hack I actually played here and it's great but it lacks good spritework and graphics (but that wouldn't stop me from playing anyways).
Crystal Dust is probably good, it's nice to see a G/S/C remake on Emerald but lacks originality.
I can't say anything about Dark Future because it seems not to lack anything except it's a Silver hack and R/B/G/Y and G/S/C had bad graphics (but those were games on GB and GBC) but it seems like it has a great story.

TLDR: Everybody just vote and don't bash on other people opinions, it's not like you can change anybody's mind.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
For you guys who actually voted for snakewood, did you actually play it? Not to be mean to the owner, but when I saw CoolBoyman play it during the Rom Hacking Charity, it was really disappointed. A lot of the maps were ruby maps, with added rocks. . . Most of the fakemon where just pallet edits, and some of the trainers looked really weird.

The earlier work done in that hack is pretty crappy yeah, but that's just part of what makes it interesting. If you play through the game you'll see how the quality of the game improves.

Thats what I like about it. This game is pretty much "Look at how crappy it was in the beginning, and see how good I've gotten since then."

This game is on this list because it serves as a inspiration to new hackers. This game can give them a view of how their skills can change over time.

Edit - As for the game, Snakewood is pretty much Pokemon Ruby all jacked up on meth and LSD. Your going to see some real crazy stuff.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'm not bashing or insulting anyone or their opinions (and if I did then it was inadvertent and I apologize), and I'm fine with the that freedom of opinion (general disrespect for opinion is something that pisses me off), but I do think that we should stop attacking people, the owners of the hacks, and the hacks themselves. I mean, it's fine that someone doesn't like a hack, but is it really okay to belittle it in plain sight of the owner? I mean, I think there should at least be more subtlety to the comments at the very least, saying something "frankly sucks" or calling someone a "dick" is pretty unbecoming of a voting thread.

But then again, this is all (ironically) subjective. Anyway, I voted for Dark Future, which, like CD, is a technological beast. The use of ASM is impressive, and it does retain a "Traditional RPG" style lost in the official Pokemon games, yet still has it's own uniqueness.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2014
I'm happy diegoisawesome is back working on Shining Opal because that is more original, it's something I haven't done 100 times already. Snakewood was something new, and I'm voting based on the type of hacks I want to see more of. New story, pokemon, plot. Snakewood delivers on all those levels where CD doesn't. I could care less about graphics honestly, as long as we get games that are original.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
The earlier work done in that hack is pretty crappy yeah, but that's just part of what makes it interesting. If you play through the game you'll see how the quality of the game improves.

Thats what I like about it. This game is pretty much "Look at how crappy it was in the beginning, and see how good I've gotten since then."

This game is on this list because it serves as a inspiration to new hackers. This game can give them a view of how their skills can change over time.

Edit - As for the game, Snakewood is pretty much Pokemon Ruby all jacked up on meth and LSD. Your going to see some real crazy stuff.

Then redo the beginning, everything should be good quality, the beginning is probably one of the most important aspects.

Porting G/S/C maps into emerald still takes time and effort, using the same maps that are in the rom you are hacking does not. I would give snakewood more credit if it was at least done on firered with the maps that resemble rubys maps, but are amped up

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2013
Then redo the beginning, everything should be good quality, the beginning is probably one of the most important aspects.

Porting G/S/C maps into emerald still takes time and effort, using the same maps that are in the rom you are hacking does not. I would give snakewood more credit if it was at least done on firered with the maps that resemble rubys maps, but are amped up

Tell me why Snakewood is bad even if you haven't played it? The rocks are around as ruins of the houses. As I've said before, the game takes place in Hoenn, so there's no need to re-invent the wheel. The maps are changed, as there are several rocks in the place of houses, which represents the ruin and rubble. You'll also find corpses in the houses that have not been destroyed, which further marks the destruction. Cutlerine decided to only use the default textures, which means he couldn't have simple "built destroyed houses," as there are none in Ruby itself. Moving on to the fakemon. The zombie Pokemon such as Rotmander and Boilbasaur are palette swaps because there was no need to re-create the sprites. A simple palette swap would have given them an undead look.

RoarignSam

The Loose Cannon
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 10, 2017
Well duh! Obviously Dark Future! I've played all of Miksy91's hacks and I loved them all! This one is the same. But, IDK why everyone says Snakewood is good.... it's okay. But didn't catch my interest. All 2nd gen remakes I've played...so yeah Dark Future.

rpg man

My new account is Critx
Years
I Did like the game it is just that There are Lots of ROCKS. -_-

Still a good game but i really think Crystal Dust deserves This one.

GSC remake hacks don't get much credit....

Years
Aight, that's it. Everybody, please chill out and shut up.
This thread is to post about why you voted for one hack, and perhaps why you didn't vote for another. Not to bash on each other in disagreement.

Feel free to discuss each others' opinions, but do it in VMs, not here (And for Christ's sake, try to be mature about it!).

linkandzelda

Ex-rom hacker turned indie game developer
Years
I voted for Crystal Dust. Why? Because being a fellow remaker I know how much work goes into making a remake, especially one of GSC. Diego pulled off things I couldn't even attempt so kudos for a great GSC experience.

I didn't vote for Snakewood because after seeing the screenshots I was interested, until I saw the game in action was quite disappointed. It needs a lot more work especially the palettes of the trainers and Pokemon. Inverted palettes doesn't make them undead in my opinion. Someone mentioned the rocks and I'd have to agree to that too.

So yea, thats my vote.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
I voted for Crystal Dust, and I know it's just 'another remake', but I really enjoyed (the original) Crystal- it being my favourite Pokemon game. This remake unlike some others does stick to the original, but that's what I like. I like Pokemon Crystal, not Pokemon Crystal with a gazillion of fan-made rivals (although I must admit I did really enjoy Shiny Gold when it was hip.) Not only that, but a lot of effort has gone into the hack, such as changing the TMs and HMs, the modification of the PokeNav to the PokeGear, a Emerald game having two regions and more! I just can not express how much I enjoyed it, and I am eagerly awaiting the next beta. :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Certainly I won't vote Crystal Dust since it may be a great Crystal remake, but well, it's a REMAKE, so I won't vote it.

Then remain Snakewood and Dark Future. I like Snakewood. Original story, funny references and new features; however the fact that it is based on the ugly Ruby still bothers me, but well, this is negligible.
But there is Dark Future. A GSC hack. Something from the 2G. I've played it a little and while the modifications are not really visible, it's really pleasant to go back to the Gameboy generation to play Pokemon outside of the original games.

So for this one, I'd go for Dark Future :)

Lugiaz Soul

I support Crystal Dust
Years
I voted for Crystal Dust because I have actually played through the whole thing and tried to catch 'em all again. At times I felt like I was actually playing what Game Freak had been developing, till the DS was announced. So they cancelled their project and Diego HACKED Game Freak and released this awesome game. The End.

P.S. Even if crystal Dust doesn't win, I will always know which game I enjoyed the most :)

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Popkemon snakewood

I vote for pokemon snakewood because it has a very interesting and unique storyline..... i really like pokemon crystal dust so it was a hard choice.... but i voted for snakewood because the betas of crystaldust was just the same old storyline as the crystal for the gbc with no extra events or twist in the tale like shinygold and liquid crystal however it had nostagic music and AWESOME ghraphics..... eventhough snakewood did not have good graphics its scripts and storylines and sprites made up for it...... so yeah snakwood is the hack i choose

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
I voted for Dark Future; I had the most fun playing that hack out of the three. It diverts from the ordinary Nintendo plot while also having many other strong points.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
I'll go for Dark Future. I'm a little biased since it's a GB game (a.k.a. nostalgia!), but it looks like it's really an award-winning hack, and should be up there with the rest. It's really unique and well-done.
Overall, though, they're all great games. Good luck, guys!

Back