• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A table at the Edge and End Inn, Tabletop RPG

Years
Interest Poll

Earth and Sky:

[progress=2][/progress]
Origin
[progress=2][/progress]
Beyond

[progress=1][/progress]
Life in Bits

[progress=2][/progress]
Emberwind

A Simple Question:
Would anyone be interested in playing a tabletop roleplay based on a story here?

This is more or less a question for the folks who enjoy RP's here.

One-too-many a time I've seen my own RP stories fall... More or less they've either been Earth and Sky or my distant-labeled cursed books games. Two of them I've written out a personal endings and everyone has been roughly in limbo or life for those who have joined mine.

So I've been wondering about something a bit more active; hosting a tabletop game, roughly in the same vein as Dungeons and Dragons. Players can hop into a session live when we have date's scheduled, they can play out their character's, have faster reactions and the story of the party; I would post either here to the stage or over to the writer's corner.

How Would I Pull This Off?:
There are tabletop programs, software and so on that can help accomplish this. There are some free, some that need money and some that require a little patience. Anyone willing to join to give a one-shot campaign a try, I'll be setting things up for network play and taking care of the hard work load getting things setup. The players would just need to show-up, generate character stats or for the one shot, pick a character.

What is the story?:
Well, I have 4 stories in mind I'll be offering to run.

The first and second being; Earth and Sky: Beyond and Earth and Sky Origin. Re-breathing new life in these stories but at a more active pace. Folks can choose to go back to Lethia or go to Ignea.

For these, I intend to use PokeRole; http://pokeroleproject.wixsite.com/pokerole

The third, I don't have a title for, but it's going to be a bit more contemporary like you would see in Earthbound, but set inside of a video-game-like world. This will be a short series and finish out before the year ends or early 2020.

I'll be incorporating 'OVA' from Wise Turtle: http://www.wiseturtle.com/products.html
Before I get any frets about needing to buy the book; I'll be getting the PDF to pass out for this game and setting up your characters

The fourth and last story is going to be Emberwind; this, I will admit, is not a story I've written, It's a pre-made campaign with it's own rules.
This campaign is 'Skies of Arcadia' meet's 'Lord of the Rings.' A group of noblemen are struggling to stay in control one of the remaining great flying cities and keep the governmental power out of a certain merchant who has the ability to lead the people away from the brink of disaster. You as the players can affect what happens.

We'll be using Emberwinds own system; https://www.emberwindgame.com/ and before anyone start's to panic, this system is actually far more easier to understand and it's a lot easier to get started, infact, this is one game system that doesn't NEED a game master, the game master can join the players, if anything, the GM will be playing the part of the narrator. I've picked up the game's PDF and like before, I'll pass out a player handbook to generate your characters if we curve off here, there are also pre-generated characters for kicks just to jump in which if we run a one-shot here, we may be using them.

Problems
There is a huge difference between a forum Roleplay and a live-action Roleplay. That you have to be there to participate instead of writing out longer-more-controlled novel posts. I can understand there's a lot of folks who would prefer the slow writing style of physical post's mostly because they don't time in the day. Which, again, is fine. I want to try to invite folks to try something new and at least finish a story so they don't end up as what I would reference as an 'abandoned world.'

Where will we be playing? IN LIFE ORDIGITAL?!
Well, That depends on the player's. IF everyone has a copy of Tabletop Simulator, about $20 in USD, There's a good chance I'll be running the Earth and Sky Stories there if there's an interest for this.

If there are player's who can't afford that; There are free platforms available and I can help get them setup; one of these platform will take a little time, but if it plays out well, players on tablet's, phones, even PC's will be able to hop in and play together; and it's not Roll 20.... Though If I have too, I'll setup the campaign with roll 20 if I have too.

If this topic get's moved to video games, I can understand or even tabletops, but this is something I want to ask the RP community. If they want to try their hand at an active story and world to finish something once more.

Last edited:
Years
I am very interested in this and will be keeping an eye on this thread for awhile.
Not quite sure which of these four I'm most interested in quite yet though, I'd need to know a bit more for that.

Years
Story #1 and #2

Earth and Sky
Origin

zIWcUVq.png

Anyone here in the poke communities RP Boards remembers Earth and Sky. This is, for lack of a better world, a pokemon journey that changes the formula where instead of going to gyms to attain badges, your going to an island inhabited by pokemon with a higher intellect and ability to tear trainers to shreds in large groups. You strive to attain a single badge or the components of one to participate in the league contest to have a shot at the championship against an overpowered and unfair elite who have more tricks up their sleeves than the players themselves.

Instead of the players earning their spots, they have to wretch it away from life to claim for their own and survive... Or so, that's how each one was meant to be played out.

I picked Origin and Beyond for 2 reasons, Origin was the latest Lethia region and Beyond takes place in a new region all together, depending on what's voted, they will differ in how they operate from what the players will be facing and the environment which they will survive.

Team generation is going to be tricky and changed since we're moving from a forum format to a tabletop RPG format.

Story #3

Life in Bits

Life in Bits is a very small side project I've been throwing around for fun. It takes place in a massive game-like world called the HUB where everything and everyone is a video game character, either a character that already exists or a character of your own creation. You can traverse the world in your Hunter's ship, sky-pirate ship, sky bus or even a hover board. In the world, there's a virus that's been going around that's been eating the world and the characters themselves must find the cause of the virus and destroy it before they become deleted themselves... So think Zootopia meets Wreck it Ralph or 'Ready Player One' except minus any input from humans period, the characters are sentient enough to understand what's going on and do what they want. The setting is more like the present with about 15-20% sci-fi, each of the characters having a HUD to manage maps and inventory, kinda what you'd see out of Log Horizon or Sword art Online, but the game world crashing and messing up due to the virus such as buildings growing sideways on trees and ducks swimming under water to eat fireballs.... which don't question, it's just how messed up the game world will become.

Story #4

Is exactly what I mentioned above.

The land is an endless sky with only a handful of islands that are floating. These islands are kept afloat using Hearth stones, which are the equivilant of Moon Stones from Skies of arcadia, they help keep stuff flying.

You belong to a guild of assassins and thugs which have no real prejudice against those who looks to join up and are being hired by a rich merchant. This merchant is looking for a seat on the city council in a city made out of flying airships clustered together, whether the ship is made from stone, to wood or bone and leather. There's a slum beneath the city and their hearth stone is failing, the merchant wants to replace that stone as a sign of good faith in order to secure his spot in the council. The rich and noble above have always had full control over the council seats and don't like the idea of the middle class merchant getting in so they start their own campaign and laws to keep him out or try as they might.

So where do you come into this? He's hiring you to go find a new hearth stone, there is a law in the city that you can't buy and or posses a Hearth stone which has put him in a pickle, going through this guild as a back channel to get the stone needed since barely anyone is of the 'legal' sort in this guild to save the slums and the people in it.

If you have an idea what you want to vote for, post it here or shoot me a message.

HyperMorian

Busy with University.
Years
Having been part of the first two, I do want to keep following and see till the climax to these. It'd be a shame to just let them end abruptly with activity droughts and the like, so I'm going to try one more time. I might need some directions in setting up these programs though.

While at it, I have a question regarding the first two. Will the events from the previous threads be used as a base to continue from, or be retconned with subtle references about it?

Years
Alright, thanks for the details. I'm a bit new to the site so I wasn't quite familiar with previous settings.

I'm incredibly interested in the fourth story myself, I've always loved steampunk fantasy and I feel the premise of the story allows for a lot of interesting character concepts. I'll still pay close attention to this even if it loses but ya know... sky pirates!

Years
Having been part of the first two, I do want to keep following and see till the climax to these. It'd be a shame to just let them end abruptly with activity droughts and the like, so I'm going to try one more time. I might need some directions in setting up these programs though.

While at it, I have a question regarding the first two. Will the events from the previous threads be used as a base to continue from, or be retconned with subtle references about it?

I'll be changing the ending from return to Lethia where instead of the region flying off, It will just hang in a higher yet breathable atmosphere, unreachable by most standard machinery, though difficult to land on and leave, which I found the original ending disjarring.

However, everything else will apply from previous threads, so yes.

Last edited:
Years
Just popping in to say that while I haven't had time to read through this properly yet, I'm intrigued by the prospect and very much support it being present here. Although I do wish you'd discussed it with Rika and I before labelling it an event xD

Years
Didn't know what to call it. I thought it would be better to go both routes other than one. I changed the prefix, sorry.

Oh you can keep it as an event, I like that. I was just saying usually you should check first. Sorry for the confusion!

Years
I've updated the first post to include a story poll of what to run the first Campaign as.
Folks hoping in can vote for more than one campaign story to undertake.

I'll be keeping an eye on things before I can pick a date to do this.

As for setting up software, everything will be taken care of once a story selection is settled.

Years
OK folks, this is what's going to be used....

For the Earth and Sky Campaign's...
If the joining players have TABLETOP SIMULATOR:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=958689588&searchtext=poke+role

If there are players who can't afford Tabletop Simulator, We'll be using a combination of Beyond Tabletop:
https://www.beyondtabletop.com

... And using Google Documents for character sheet upkeep; we'll mostly be using Beyond Tabletop as the battlemap for exploring areas and so on.

For Emberwind, we'll be using GMForge or Rolisteam.

Or I'll just be dumping everything in Rolisteam....

Why not use Roll20?​
I am not a big fan of a service that just deletes a large number of their user base... Especially if they do it again; I hate that.

WHY THESE OTHER SYSTEMS?!

BeyondTabletop:
support's Android, iOS, PC; I'm guessing there's a lot of people who post on here or view the board using their phones... Google Documents though? I don't really have an answer other than there needs to be a method of storing a custom character sheet since beyond support D&D and Pathfinder; So we're mostly using this for the shared-live-update-able-maps.

GM Forge:
I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY don't want to setup here. Noone has to pay for anything, period... actually, with the exception of Tabletop simulator, all I'm posting here is free for the players to use. GM Forge is one of those systems that supports everything. Your phone? Supported. The tablet? Supported. The Mac computers? Support. Windows and Linux? Su- Everything with a web browser that supports Java is here. HOWEVER! generating the character sheet along with skills is a week long process of coding since the support for this is Terrible... I'm willing to setup here as well, I just don't want too when the folks who make it won't acknowledge any help needed with it. I can setup the character sheets here perfectly fine and even battle maps; but I can't get skills to effect the pogs and vice versa, everyone will have to adjust everything manually.

Rolisteam:
Free, Support has been more helpful than the google and their Discord is active with people who help out. Only downside is this is for PC alone.

NOTE!
Any of the players joining in a campaign, All they'll need to worry about setup is to just install the program or wait for instructions how to do what and I'll provide those instructions in incredibly descriptive detail.
Noone is getting left out to dry if and when I set this up.... once we get get a story picked!

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
I do love tabletop style games. Maybe this time I'll get to see this one through eh?? You can definitely count me as interested. vwv

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
So this is what ya been up to, eh Quto? Nice to see you keep things rollin'. I dunno if i'll have time, but if i do, count me in.

Years
Well, I have 3 possible Players.

If there is a 4th willing to join, posting their interest to give us a tie breaker between the 3 leads; I can get started on setup.

Back