• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: PKM Script Helper

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky_queen3

Mimikyu is cute :3
Years
What's so bad about this tool? I think using it as well as XSE could save a lot of time so you can focus on other aspects of your hack/rom edit/whatever you want to call it. :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2023
Yeah, you guys can say that about any tool. Such as advancemap promotes laziness, because it makes it so no one needs to ASM for map editing. I hope that you can get this to work for XSE, because I can't even get it to work with pokescript.

bigboi

Hacker of the 3rd Generation
Years
I can see why it would encourage laziness, but it would help beginners and people who have not the slightest idea of how to script, so it has a good side and a bad side. Hacks would also require less scripters, and it would be easier to do a one-person hack without a team (Which I am currently doing).

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
I probably will use this tool, but only so I can get a more hands on feel with exactly what each script does. I feel like I could learn better this way. Also, I agree with the people saying that it's good for beginners, but promotes laziness, which is why I say this tool should be a good way to LEARN, not to use this tool and only this tool. Plus, you still have to do some complex stuff when it comes to actually getting it to work in the game, and with the other aspects of a hack.

Still though, I say this tool is a good learning experience for probably the hardest yet most vital part of ROM hacking.

Gigafrost

Pokemon GBA Spriter and Coder
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2015
I honestly think that this whole "laziness" thing is an excuse for people to prevent others from taking a more convenient route.

True. Scripting via hand code is more versatile. Granted, I also know a few languages myself that are utilized in this way (HTML, CSS, bit of Java, etc.). But saying "Oh... I don't like this because it promotes laziness for those who don't wanna code..." is simply distasteful. Please stop with the negativity and grow up. At least this guy is trying to help others with something to make our lives easier in this wretched world. Is that to wrong to accept?

On another note, for those who are saying that. I am just starting out with making my own hack aside from a busy lifestyle (college) and I want something that will help me get my feet into the water with this pokescript. I prefer to work out the basics of what I wanna do in my hack and then expound that with the more flashy stuff. In essence, using this program for the basics and then maybe some advanced sripts here and there where necessary. But doing so makes me a lazy person? I don't believe so. Also doing a one-man hack, so high fives bigboi!

Now I'm not no coding guru, expert, fanatic, or any of the sort. Neither do I plan to have an "unquenched thirst for knowing ALL there is on the most advanced techniques of POKESCRIPT!" For my goal in my hack, my focus is more on the story, and not a "Look what I can do." Sort of thing with hacks. Maybe we all can have that mindset.

Moral of this story folks? If you have nothing constructive to say about the program. Don't waste your finger-time posting at all. Case in point. Jeez it's freaking called pokescriptHELPER, not something like

pokescriptPROGRAMTHATPLANSTOREPLACEALLADVANCEDCODERSOFTHEWORLD

Keep your britches on.

I haven't even downloaded the thing yet. For the creator of this program. Keep up the good work man for even thinking about this and speeding up my hack time.

Last edited:

ShadowMrk

Intangible
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 27, 2018
Very well spoken, Gigafrost. Although I'm never going to use this tool, I'm not going to tell everyone that does use it that they're a bunch of lazy good-fer-nuthinz and fail at life just because they don't conform to my way of thinking. Just like everyone has their own identity ,we also have our own method of doing things. This could include or exclude the use of Script Help programs. As long as the end result (aka a hack) is worth playing, then the method is irrelevant. Anyways, the GUI looks very professional, can't wait to download it to check the functionality of it.

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2011
I think this tool's gonna be great for beginners. Or, if there's just one aspect of scripting that confuses you(someone previously said something about the movements confusing them). In that sense, it's great. Also, you said it gives you the script all ready to use, right? Well, you can, in a sense, use that feature to help you learn scripting. As in, you make the script here, then you just read what it gave you to compile and kinda just pick it up. Just my thoughts. Keep working on this, it'll help out a lot of beginners.

LightOfTruth

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 16, 2020
I'm using XSE for my hack so I'm glad to learn some of the commands. This helper thing seems like a bad idea to me :(

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2020
Strange enough, whenever I go to open the script helper, It starts to load the force closes. Question version works though. Any suggestions?

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2012
I have a problem with the scripts, okay I got the offset for the script, I add it in the game, but when I speak with someone the text is all glitched! It says something like: " Pol PoK Pol PoPo PoK A C < Pol PoPo Pol PoK < "
Can someone please tell me how to fix It?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2012
Hello, that's a great work that you done i never seen this type of XSE, i want to get it but i do not know to make it done please tell me about it .

Digidestined123

Hacker in training
Years
Let's face it: not everyone can or wants to learn how to script. I think this is fine for those people whose brains just aren't wired in a way that makes scripting easy to pick up. Sure, their scripts will be much more basic than scripts crafted by people who actually know what 'callstd' does. However, beginners will eventually realize that this tool merely scratches the surface of the field of scripting and will read a scripting tutorial if they find themselves in need of more advanced techniques.

I guess I just don't see why people are so upset that this tool makes it easier to get started with scripting (even if it isn't "real" scripting). Especially since a lot of you believe that using tools doesn't make you inferior. :\

Amen to that. What is you guys problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back