• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
From the more recent commercials I've been seeing, Side Effects (Channing Tatum, Jude Law, Rooney Mara) isn't looking quite as good as the original trailer and descriptions originally portrayed. I mean, it still has an enticing plot and three spectacular lead actors, so I'm going to give it a go anyway, but at this point it feels like a leap of faith. Maybe it'll come back and end up impressing me anyway. Who knows!

Anyone seen Mama? I'm not big into horror films, but it looks amazing, so I'm considering it!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I'm quite interested in seeing Side Effects! I actually saw a trailer for it the first time today when I went to see The Impossible. As for Mama, I want to see it also, even though I haven't many good reviews about it. But bad reviews should never stop a person from trying out a film anyway!

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I'm quite interested in seeing Side Effects! I actually saw a trailer for it the first time today when I went to see The Impossible. As for Mama, I want to see it also, even though I haven't many good reviews about it. But bad reviews should never stop a person from trying out a film anyway!

If the critics had their way... we'd only have artsy-fartsy films as my dad likes to say. xD

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Mama is looking like one of those few films which might actually be a little bit scary, I'm looking forward to this one. It's been a long time since a film has made me truly scared and that's a feeling I miss haha. The film hasn't been rated greatly so far, but I'm holding out hope that it'll be worth the wait.

Years
If the critics had their way... we'd only have artsy-fartsy films as my dad likes to say. xD
Please, movie gods, do not let this happen. I saw Beasts of the Southern Wild over the weekend and I could not follow the movie at all. I know part of it was that I can't always understand the grammar or or accents, and part of it was that child voices just sound different, but the other half of my trouble was that the plot just meandered like a dream. It was very emotional and entertaining, but I really felt like I was being swept up in a current with no idea where I was heading. And that's one of the best experiences I've had with artsy-fartsy films. If art house films were all we had I'd have to give up movies entirely.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Please, movie gods, do not let this happen. I saw Beasts of the Southern Wild over the weekend and I could not follow the movie at all. I know part of it was that I can't always understand the grammar or or accents, and part of it was that child voices just sound different, but the other half of my trouble was that the plot just meandered like a dream. It was very emotional and entertaining, but I really felt like I was being swept up in a current with no idea where I was heading. And that's one of the best experiences I've had with artsy-fartsy films. If art house films were all we had I'd have to give up movies entirely.

I'm not too keen on the Oscar's really, it's just a bunch of hoity-toity old men and women deciding that something is good when it's really rather garbage. Good films do make it on the list, but really when the Hobbit doesn't make Best Picture when it has double the room, something's terribly wrong.

Last edited:

Years
  • Seen Jan 24, 2013
Do you think that you'd have a chance if she were straight?

I do, you seem incredibly dapper and charming.

The question is whether she'd have a chance.

I'm a huge horror movie fan. I'm also a huge pansy when it comes to that. I literally have to change the channel every time the previews for Mama come on. Should be good.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I'm not too keen on the Oscar's really, it's just a bunch of hoity-toity old men and women deciding that something is good when it's really rather garbage. Good films do make it on the list, but really when the Hobbit doesn't make Best Picture when it has double the room, something's terribly wrong.

There are plenty of reasons for not making The Hobbit "Best Picture". I could name a few, but I don't want to start a war :3 I loved the book. The movie was just not what I had hoped for.

I do not dare to watch Mama ;; I would like to see Paranormal Activity 4 but honestly I can't even understand how I had the nerves to watch the first three.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
There are plenty of reasons for not making The Hobbit "Best Picture". I could name a few, but I don't want to start a war :3 I loved the book. The movie was just not what I had hoped for.

I do not dare to watch Mama ;; I would like to see Paranormal Activity 4 but honestly I can't even understand how I had the nerves to watch the first three.

I'd agree with you, but with the other options up there it just feels like Jackson was snubbed due to his previous success with the LOTR movies.

Years
I'd agree with you, but with the other options up there it just feels like Jackson was snubbed due to his previous success with the LOTR movies.
I guess they felt that they'd get a better response by nominating Life of Pi. Kinda feels like they don't like having too many fantasy or scifi movies get nominations.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I guess they felt that they'd get a better response by nominating Life of Pi. Kinda feels like they don't like having too many fantasy or scifi movies get nominations.

I'm with you on that. They're definitely more into the dramas and the like... always have been.

Years
I'm with you on that. They're definitely more into the dramas and the like... always have been.
And, you know, that's fine. There are the Saturn Awards. Or Nebula Awards. Or whatever they're called for genre movies. It would just be nice to have more cross-genre exposure.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'm just happy that there's a foreign film finally nominated for Best Picture with the expanded balloting system. The last time a wholly foreign film got nominated in such a way was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which I like... but it's not a patch on Amour.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
And, you know, that's fine. There are the Saturn Awards. Or Nebula Awards. Or whatever they're called for genre movies. It would just be nice to have more cross-genre exposure.

Well, yes, that is understandable, but they don't have nearly the prestige as the Academy Awards. :\

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Speaking of low budget/foreign films, has anyone seen Another Earth, the movie that premiered at Sundance in 2011? I've seen less than twenty minutes of it and I CANNOT SEEM to catch it on television anymore. I've considered looking it up online, but laziness always prevents me from doing so, but I'm super interested in it.
Rhoda Williams (Brit Marling) is a brilliant 17 year-old who has spent her young life trained on the stars, and recently learned she was accepted to MIT. In a reckless celebratory moment, she drinks with friends and drives home intoxicated. Listening to a story on the radio about a planet that looks just like Earth, she gazes out her car window at the stars and inadvertently hits a stopped car at an intersection, putting John Burroughs (William Mapother) in a coma and killing his wife and son.
It seems quite the film, though some third party comments on it would be appreciated!

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years

The Hobbit didn't make it because it wasn't that great of a movie. A movie should be nominated based on its merits, not just because it's attached to the Lord of the Rings franchise, and to be honest The Hobbit didn't have that many.

The second half of the film was good, but the first half moved so slowly and was so bogged down that I wondered whether I'd make it out of the cinema alive. It was utterly boring.

It just wasn't a great movie. Certainly not Oscar-worthy by any stretch of the imagination lol

EDIT: Also, every single dwarf character in that entire movie was annoying to the point of distraction. I guess that's the book's fault moreso than the movie adaptation, but it doesn't help things. I hear some of them die in the next two movies and I'm looking forward to that so much. Maybe those movies can be nominated for Best Picture!

Last edited:
Years
The first part of that movie had more padding than a wonder bra.

I liked it, but I would have liked it more if it had been one Hobbit movie. It would have been better for everyone if it had. Well, almost everyone. I'm sure the studio execs are pleased as punch to have a new fantasy trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back