• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokémon Snakewood Version

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 9, 2022
Hi, I'm new to the whole rom hack concept and I'd really like to play your game. However, after the patch the rom and name my character, the game freezes when the player shrinks down right before you start the game. The emulator still runs as if the game is running, but the game itself stays frozen. Can you help me with this?

You most probably patched the incorrect Ruby "dump". You want Pokemon Ruby USA 1.0. If you're unable to find it, just google for a pre-patched Snakewood rom.

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
I'm using the Visual Boy Advance on my laptop. I don't know what's wrong.

Go with solidseagol's recommendation to ensure that Ruby base for it is right.

Also, because you're new to the ROM thing... in your emulator's settings, you'll find this option when it comes to save types (like "Cartridge save type").
In that option list, make sure you have it set to "Flash 128K".

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 55
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
This game is absolutely awful. The puzzles are terrible and make no sense and give no indication to the player what they need to do, or even a hint. You made all of these zombie pokemon, but only TWO are available? The story has no flow, there are way too many evil characters and just people in general, you can barely keep up. Some battles are just awful; a level 80 Shaderu when your party is probably in the 35-45 level range? And some of the things you need to do to get to certain places in the game are just ridiculous. You have to get a specific item from a specific pokemon with an extremely low catch rate just so you can battle a gym? Why do you make the player go through this crap. And don't even get me started with that room with the deadly seven and those invisible barriers that make you restart if you don't follow the exact pattern. Like, why do that? How is that in any way fun for the player. This hack is garbage and you should be ashamed.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 9, 2023
This game is absolutely awful. The puzzles are terrible and make no sense and give no indication to the player what they need to do, or even a hint. You made all of these zombie pokemon, but only TWO are available? The story has no flow, there are way too many evil characters and just people in general, you can barely keep up. Some battles are just awful; a level 80 Shaderu when your party is probably in the 35-45 level range? And some of the things you need to do to get to certain places in the game are just ridiculous. You have to get a specific item from a specific pokemon with an extremely low catch rate just so you can battle a gym? Why do you make the player go through this crap. And don't even get me started with that room with the deadly seven and those invisible barriers that make you restart if you don't follow the exact pattern. Like, why do that? How is that in any way fun for the player. This hack is garbage and you should be ashamed.

ok mate I respect your opinion and everything but telling someone that' what they made is garbage and that they should be ashamed for making it. A game they probally put their hard work into is going to far I respect that you don't like the game that's your opinion but maybe next time try for constructive criticism :/

Years
  • Age 55
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
ok mate I respect your opinion and everything but telling someone that' what they made is garbage and that they should be ashamed for making it. A game they probally put their hard work into is going to far I respect that you don't like the game that's your opinion but maybe next time try for constructive criticism :/

Yeah probably too harsh with that, but I feel as though there a lot of other people who have played this game that feel the same way. Making a game that, at times, many times, actually, is objectively bad should not bar you from harsh criticism. The creator knew what he was doing.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jul 26, 2019
Yeah probably too harsh with that, but I feel as though there a lot of other people who have played this game that feel the same way. Making a game that, at times, many times, actually, is objectively bad should not bar you from harsh criticism. The creator knew what he was doing.

remember that this was made back when romhacking hadn't all these tools or the essentials like pokemon and graphics from newer gens so of course it isn't as good as newer games

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021

I don't think it's a bad game at all actually... probably one of the most unique and original hacks I've ever played.

This is the type of commentary that comes out of people with absolutely no grasp when it regards how tedious & involved hacking these kinda game enviroments really is.
- I admit, it's a little buggy at times.. & lacks the remaining game content needed to make it 100%.
.... But you should really give these poor ROM hackers a break, the majority of them personally think the games they make is a piece of junk to begin with.. even if it's the best hack ever made.

Do you know how ridiculiosly hard it is to do the coding for this sort of stuff?
... hacking into a GBA enviroment, working within the confined limitations of the ROM itself.. even more difficult in the case of this game, because the creator was putting in original content on top of that.. the scripting itself is a nightmare and that's just a small fraction of it.. every single little thing has scripts added to it which looks like an alien language, with a little english in it.. and the mapping and insurting isn't a simple matter of copy/paste.

I'd like to see you make a ROM hack... now that would probably be a real piece of junk.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 55
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
I don't think it's a bad game at all actually... probably one of the most unique and original hacks I've ever played.

This is the type of commentary that comes out of people with absolutely no grasp when it regards how tedious & involved hacking these kinda game enviroments really is.
- I admit, it's a little buggy at times.. & lacks the remaining game content needed to make it 100%.
.... But you should really give these poor ROM hackers a break, the majority of them personally think the games they make is a piece of junk to begin with.. even if it's the best hack ever made.

Do you know how ridiculiosly hard it is to do the coding for this sort of stuff?
... hacking into a GBA enviroment, working within the confined limitations of the ROM itself.. even more difficult in the case of this game, because the creator was putting in original content on top of that.. the scripting itself is a nightmare and that's just a small fraction of it.. every single little thing has scripts added to it which looks like an alien language, with a little english in it.. and the mapping and insurting isn't a simple matter of copy/paste.

I'd like to see you make a ROM hack... now that would probably be a real piece of junk.

I understand your point, hacking is extremely hard, especially when trying to make a really good and polished game, but the fact remains that the creator did things that specifically made the user experience just plain awful. I think he had a great story at the beginning, and he was very creative with all the changes he made to Hoenn, like Draco Island and that Monestary with all those monks. But, a lot of the game, especially the late game, felt like a big f**k you to the player. Why did he make a maze at the end of the game before you fight the final boss where you can't tell where the hell to go, where all the ledges look the same? Why did he make the player answer a series of un-intuitive and ridiculous questions that makes you reset to the beginning after getting one question wrong? The things he did were not because he didn't have the ability to make them better, but because he wanted to piss the player off, and that he did. If you look at this hack as a whole, looking at all the good things (interesting and creative story at the beginning and unique game features) and the bad things (stupid puzzles, cringe humor, purposely-bad mapping at times, quests that don't tell you what to do to complete them, limited amount of catchable zombie pokemon), no person in their right mind would call this is a good hack. I don't care how old it is, a hack automatically doesn't become good and isn't allowed to be criticized just because it's old or unique for its time. The only people who think this hack is good from beginning to end either legitimately like playing games that purposefully try to enrage and troll the user and make them not want to play the game, or are completely ignorant when it comes to Rom Hacks.

This game is objectively bad.

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
I understand your point, hacking is extremely hard, especially when trying to make a really good and polished game, but the fact remains that the creator did things that specifically made the user experience just plain awful. I think he had a great story at the beginning, and he was very creative with all the changes he made to Hoenn, like Draco Island and that Monestary with all those monks. But, a lot of the game, especially the late game, felt like a big f**k you to the player. Why did he make a maze at the end of the game before you fight the final boss where you can't tell where the hell to go, where all the ledges look the same? Why did he make the player answer a series of un-intuitive and ridiculous questions that makes you reset to the beginning after getting one question wrong? The things he did were not because he didn't have the ability to make them better, but because he wanted to piss the player off, and that he did. If you look at this hack as a whole, looking at all the good things (interesting and creative story at the beginning and unique game features) and the bad things (stupid puzzles, cringe humor, purposely-bad mapping at times, quests that don't tell you what to do to complete them, limited amount of catchable zombie pokemon), no person in their right mind would call this is a good hack. I don't care how old it is, a hack automatically doesn't become good and isn't allowed to be criticized just because it's old or unique for its time. The only people who think this hack is good from beginning to end either legitimately like playing games that purposefully try to enrage and troll the user and make them not want to play the game, or are completely ignorant when it comes to Rom Hacks.

But you're completely missing one very big point when it comes to ROM hackers in general (don't mind me, i'm just a stupid game tester :P )... these people simply do it as a hobby & nothing more, it's something to do for them. They provide these games to us for free, which they don't have to do at all. It's a blessing they do what they do to begin with. Otherwise, I would have stopped playing Pokemon completely.

You're obviously overlooking the fact that the majority of things you're pointing out in this game was completely intentional.. the crude disgusting humor (my favorite thing about this hack.. i'm quite sick of the hand holdy thing in mainstream pokemon!).. the "zombified mons" you're talking about are signature to the zombies fighting & NOT YOU!.. The involved puzzles and reset if you screw up is to add difficulty to the game (unless you like stuff that makes you bored) & yes, he was doing it to piss the player off (but you're too picky anyway).. The mapping was completely intentional (if you haven't figured out the fact this game supposed to be a post apocalyptic setting).. other things you're mentioning was stuff that was never completed. But heck, these people who make them don't owe us anything.. like I said, it's just a hobby for them.

I'll take that as a compliment then that you believe I'm ignorant and inexperienced when it comes to playing ROM hacks then... LOL, I'm honored.. that's the most heart warming compliment I ever got in my life from years of game testing! xD

Last edited:

sz

Years
It's more like a troll game. I liked it when I played and made it different from other hack roms.

... The only people who think this hack is good from beginning to end either legitimately like playing games that purposefully try to enrage and troll the user and make them not want to play the game...
Don't play Dark Souls, just an advice :giggle:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 22, 2020
Wow, finding all the Broken Hearts is, well, more than a little bit of a pain. Could we perhaps get a hint or two for some locations? Also, this hack was incredible. It had a decent amount of difficulty with absolutely stupid hilarity that managed to hold my attention. Great work! I especially enjoyed The Senex's team.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 20, 2019
I'm new here and I just tried your latest fixed and I got some problems. First, I patched the isp file to the ruby.gba which is already in my phone. Then I opened the game and it displayed a white screen the whole time. So I downloaded another rom and patched. And this time it worked... for a short time. When I finished naming my character, when the character began to minimize, the game stopped working. What do I do now ? Also It doesn'y display the zombified bulbarsour when prof.Birch introducing himself, when it required me to dentify the gender, it doesn't show "boy" or "girl", it show "de" and "ark" instead. The boy character image is full of something like blood while the girl one is fine. This is kinda different from what I see on Youtube very much :/

Last edited:

sonic65101

Johto Champion
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 12, 2023

While I agree that the ROM hack's creator, who, AFAIK, isn't active here anymore, was trying to troll players with the puzzles, I looked into the ROM when I was trying to remove Fresh Water from the vending machines (Fresh Water was replaced with Zombie Liver), and the uncatchable zombiemon don't have zombified backsprites.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 16, 2024
If Hy Brazil thinks he hates this game, I hope he never ends up playing Pokemon Reborn. He'd probably go after Amethyst with a knife. To be honest, I'm tempted to. Kidding, of course, but whatever problems he had with this game were taken up to a 20/10 in Reborn.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
So, I was on reddit a couple of days ago and heard that someone is remaking snakewood or rather upgrading it., I asked for the discord link but the OP never replied. I thought I'd ask on here?

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2023
No idea if anyone else has had this issue or no but when enter the Necropolis Hub area theres nothing i can do after combing every square of the hub
Im unable to enter any of the passages to continue to the game
Tried going to the passage north between the 2 rocks like i seen others playthroughs but i get no message to proceed with the games story :frown:

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
I've begun watching a playthrough of this game on Youtube and it got me interested in trying it.

It should be noted that I'm coming into this from a watchthrough (by the same Youtuber) of three other zombie apocalypse-themed games Pokemon Nightmare Invasion, Dusk and Dawn in which the storytelling was phenominal.

I'm in the Petalsburg Woods leveling up and it's blatant, even at this point that the creator is a stronger visual designer than a storyteller and that frustrating design might have even been the primary focus as suggested above.
The graphics are authentic and most aesthetically pleasing. Although the male protagonist looks like a "young" Benjamin Button and his trainer card sprite looks constipated (this is the first time in Pokemon history that I did not like the male), the Zombiemon designs are pretty cool.

The plot and game mechanics, however, are cheesy and inconsistent, not to mention as I said, comes across as the intent to cause the player as much frustration as possible.
For example, Baltoy is the only starter that isn't utter trash (no disrespect to those who like Koffing and Paras but this my opinion deal with it) though for being intended as the 'easy mode' starter even it's still a bit of a sabotage because there is quite a heavy population of dark types in the game including in most of the main opponents I've seen so far.

A few other nonsensical mechanics are, how does a severed head send out a Pokemon or how is a zombie intelligent enough to command one while only able to communicate in grunts and moans?
There is even inconsistency in the trainer classes themselves as the ghost trainers entail the 'the zombie turned to dust' dialogue when defeated and we're filling a Pokedex we don't officially obtain until a considerable amount of time into the game.

Then we kinda randomly gravitate away from zombies to a former chef (whom I feel like should be in the zombie catagory but somehow arent...I don't think)/murder mystery thing. The whole Wattson thing is an interesting concept though. Having to lose a battle to progress is one of the most unique and thoughtful aspects of the game.
BTW, if you can manage to beat his level 100 team the game soft locks like the Oak's Parcel glitch in the first gen and it IS possible to do so. There is record of it on Youtube (sorry the last time I posted a link on these forums I got into a bit of trouble).
The maps and resource providers are also pretty random and tedious not to mention the renaming of some of the items such as Potion to Light Potion seems pointless.
i.e Switching up one's team between Odale and Rustburo is irritating due to Odale containing the only PC in that area range.

Above all, I'm feeling ripped off after I Googled a list of catchable Pokemon that revealed that half to less than half the zombiemon featured in the game are included.

Nonetheless, I am enjoying the game. Again, I love the Zombiemon even if you can't catch them, the whole Amnesia and Horsemen angles are mildly interesting and even somewhat creative and I wish Pikachu were a canon encounter in Petalsburg woods.

UPDATE:

So I've done some experimenting with Gamesharking this game using codes pertaining to the host game, Ruby:

1. You can't steal Pokemon...or at least Zombiemon. I tried to steal a Rotmander and it turned into a Bad Egg in the PC.
I decided to give it a second go but made the mistake of not turning the code off before entering the battle and ended up with a random wild Gravill encounter. I caught it anyway and ended up with another Bad Egg.
I haven't tried it with regular/canon Pokemon and currently, have no interest in doing so.

2. Stable Zombiemon are however catchable via the wild encounter modifier. Using the host Pokemon's modifier code will generate it's Zombiemon form in this game. However since they weren't designed to be catchable, while they'll have their Zombiemon identities in name and front sprite in their summary and Pokedex entries (though the entries themselves are unaltered from canon), they keep their hosts' backs sprites.
i.e Rotmander registers as a Rotmander but appears as a regular Charmander in battle.

3. Zombiemon DO NOT have shiny forms illustrated by the shiny modifier canceling out the Pokemon modifier when I attempted to generate a shiny Rotmander. Instead, it just turned the area's legit encounters shiny.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Well this hack was interesting. I beat main story and reached Gym Island, but did not bother with Gyms or catching Senex(I used afro ball on that Spanish fakemon, to figure it's typing).
Stuff I liked :
Deadly seven - they were hilarious and if you watched Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo and Excel Saga, you will find them even more funny(although fighting them so many times in a row was annoying :D).
Starters - finally some change to regular ones. Both Koffing(my choice) and Baltoy are decent pokemon, let's just ignore Paras lol. I beat first half of the game with just Koffing/Weezing alone.
Infinite healing potion

Annoying stuff :
Lack of TM, getting HM very late - I would rather have Waterfall than Dive(although I get it why you needed it). Getting HM04 at the end was annoying as well. No Flamethrower/Earthquake TM(at least I never found them), although Fire Blast is decent replacement, too bad only one of my members could learn Dig and it was useless on him.
Grinding and No Lucky Egg???!!! - seriously such grind heavy hack and no Lucky Eggs? First time I have to grind was near monastery(mainly to evolve Beldum), second and last time was after reaching Pacifidlog. I beat the leader and had to grind since every normal trainer suddenly have level 70+ pokemon(my pokemon were : Starter lvl.69 and other 3 lvl. 50-55) and everyone was spamming full restores. Seriously I hate this when regular trainers have full restores, it does not make it more difficult, just more tedious.
Puzzles - oh boy some of them did not make sense and you would never figure them out on your own(especially how to get to Gym Island and getting to Sky Pillar). Others were hit or miss or just very tedious, than Necropolis came along. Oh boy, after running around and somehow figuring out the incinerator chamber(or whatever it was called) puzzles, I was like ok we are done, than the main puzzle came. So I just turned off the game, printed the map and did it in 1 minute. Than there was some dumb concert, which did not make sense(like most of the story, but whatever :D) and than the stupid quiz machines. I was glad, that I am playing on Emulator, save states for the win. After all of this bs and beating the boss, I literally had 0 energy to do some pointless gym battles at gym island, so I said GG, I am done lol.

References :
There were quite a few. Although a majority of them weren't mainstream, so I did not get them at all. Although I get it, this hack is pretty old.

Off Topic : What is wrong with search function for this thread? Everytime I tried to search for something, it was said no results. Good thing google exists.

Back