• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon SunGold & Pokémon MoonSilver

walnut3072

Quan
Years
the move poison gas do dame itsefl,i see wild Dustox use it.The new type chart make me confused but i like your hack.
Yea, I encountered that too. I'll try to fix it if it's possible.
About the type chart, yea, I know there are a lot of changes to get used to. I'd also like to know if you guys like it or not.
I started MoonSilver on Sunday and it's one of the best hacks I have ever played!
I have almost 20 hours of gaming!
...The things that I love...
I love the new moves and the way you take so many TMs and Gift Pokemon.
...What to add...
I would like to see battles with trainers like May,Ash,Brendan etc.
and also battles (or a side story) with other teams like Aqua, Magma or Galactic.

Keep up with updates!
Thank you for your feedbacks! Since I'm still a beginner in hacking pkm rom, I'm looking forward to co-operate with others to create more high-quality hacks in the future.
Look fascinating. I have to play this. Read through the documents. I looove your little notes in Pokemon changes section.Soo cute^__^
Oh, thanks. I'm glad you like it!
Hey walnut3072, first of all good job on the hack and I have a question: my cyndaquil is 18 level now but hasn't evolved yet. Is there bug or is it going to evolve on later levels or with an item?
I kinda changed the evolvolution level of all starters. You can look at the first post or the document for more detail.
Can u PLS give us a file with the pokemon locations. I think it is not the same as Sacred gold. I saw a charmander in the route 29 and another pokemons there.
As I've said in the post, in SunGold the wild encounter has been randomized for Nuzlocking.
I may recommend you to play MoonSilver if you'd like to catch you favorite pkm since the wild there is the same as in Sacred Gold.
This looks like a fun hack. The only big question i have is why did Empoleon change from Water/Steel to Water/Ice. I think it's hurts Empoleon more then it helps him.
Well, as I'd mentioned something like this in the 1st post, I've always tried to make the pkm world in my hacks more natural. And one of the ways is by making the pokemon's type match their species or appearance better where possible. That's why we have a Fire/Dragon Charizard or a Water/Ice Empoleon (he's a penguin so Ice-type would fit him better than Steel). And about the disadvantages in his new typing, but Ice has been buffed with a couple of resistance and I've given this line many new moves, one of them is Weather Ball, which can do well with his new ability Snow Warning.
I may boost his Def&SpDef in future patches if he really still doesn't catch up with the old Water/Steel typing.

curiters

Oblivious - prevents me from being afflicted by in
Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2017
Every time i patch this, the Fairy icon still shows ???.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

me too dude it shows in my drastic emulator " ??? "

curiters

Oblivious - prevents me from being afflicted by in
Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2017
Oops, I've been playing MoonSilver and never knew this issue happening in SunGold, sorry!
I've just uploaded a patch to fix this along with some move changes in both version.

maybe its because im using old save file came from original heart gold is it ok to use?

Years
Hi walnut3072. I'm enjoying so much your hack ty for let us playing it. I just want to ask you if there is any problem using pokegen and get some custom pokemons, cause you edit a lot the pokemons stats and moveset.

walnut3072

Quan
Years
Hi walnut3072. I'm enjoying so much your hack ty for let us playing it. I just want to ask you if there is any problem using pokegen and get some custom pokemons, cause you edit a lot the pokemons stats and moveset.

My pleasure :)
As far as I know, we can use pokegen to add pkm with custom moveset to this hack, but I'm not sure how it works with the stat changes though. You may copy a back up of your save first just in case.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
My pleasure :)
As far as I know, we can use pokegen to add pkm with custom moveset to this hack, but I'm not sure how it works with the stat changes though. You may copy a back up of your save first just in case.
Well, I've used Pokegen with Blaze Black/Volt White, BB2/VW2, and Flawless Platinum, and it works. But still thanks for the warning.

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Looks very good, especially with the Fairy type and new attacks. Normally I don't really like HGSS for not fixing the level curve and lack of good grinding places despite all the good features, but this one seems interesting. Will try MoonSilver to have a refreshing experience if I'm in the mood for this.

By the way, can the Kris patch from Hiro TDK be used in SunGold/MoonSilver, too?

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2016
So I tried to use the game code for the original soul silver and the one for storm silver but neither of them work. What exactly do you mean by "Action Replay Codes supported. (You can find in it own document)". Where is this document?

walnut3072

Quan
Years
Looks very good, especially with the Fairy type and new attacks. Normally I don't really like HGSS for not fixing the level curve and lack of good grinding places despite all the good features, but this one seems interesting. Will try MoonSilver to have a refreshing experience if I'm in the mood for this.

By the way, can the Kris patch from Hiro TDK be used in SunGold/MoonSilver, too?
As he's stated, the patch supports Storm Silver, it should also work with MoonSilver where the scripts haven't been changed much.
So I tried to use the game code for the original soul silver and the one for storm silver but neither of them work. What exactly do you mean by "Action Replay Codes supported. (You can find in it own document)". Where is this document?
This hack works with the code from Storm Silver. You can find it in the SGSS document folder.

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2016
I've tried both Storm Silver codes (IPGE D5D82CBF and IPGE C794B178) and neither one of them works. I haven't had this problem with any other games/hacks and my settings are correct. Is anyone else having this problem?

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2016
Walnut, congrats on your hack. But as you said, BB2&VW2 by Drayano were also, for me, the best pokemon games made. Can't you insert the fairy type, and the other things, in BB2&VW2? Moromoro's tutorial is just for HG&SS?

Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2016
Okay so Silver is the favourite game for me and I spent almost 2 weeks on this one so here is my impression (mostly pros and cons), will avoid spoilers if possible

PROS
_ Difficulty up a lot, especially early into the game and second time E4. I didn't really grind my team so E4 was outleveling my team by 10-15 levels, costing a lot of items to pass. Ash was even much harder.
_ Type balancing, making some types not so OP and some types more useful, neat. Also made some pokemons more viable.
_ Changed types in some pokemon, adding more variations, nice.
_ Almost all pokemons are easily accessible. Some are harder to acquire but I can see how.
_ More variety to choices for team from start. Though there are so many good pokemons from the start that I don't feel like capture any later for my main team.
_ New moves with different effects. Some old moves also got modified to be more useful.
_ Smooth gameplay

CONS
_ Some type reworking on Pokemons just (to me) feels like personal preferences. Most noticeable are Flygon (Bug / Dragon), big nerf, so I have to resort to Garchomp. Gyarados (Water / Dragon), thou it looks cool to be dragon, why do I want a clone of Kingdra in the game? Empoleon (Water / Ice), its original dual typing was unique, now it is just a Dewgong with big Sp.Atk and Snow Warning.
_ Accuracy modifications make me so furious some times with many moves originally having 100% acc now 90 - 95%. thus missing occasionally. It feels almost like the opponent is getting free Double Team (so am I but I don't want it).
_ This is a technical bug, don't know if fixed or not. I cannot access Pokedex, so no real way to check pokemon's location. I don't know how I capture all the pokemons I want without going through the whole 2 regions again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Good job on the remake. Hope to see more from you!

walnut3072

Quan
Years
Walnut, congrats on your hack. But as you said, BB2&VW2 by Drayano were also, for me, the best pokemon games made. Can't you insert the fairy type, and the other things, in BB2&VW2? Moromoro's tutorial is just for HG&SS?
I'd love make a hack for gen 5 when I have more free time to research more possible editing ways. Currently, the tool for gen 5 is limited and although there is MeroMero tutorial on BW2, it crashes when playing on flashcards.
Okay so Silver is the favourite game for me and I spent almost 2 weeks on this one so here is my impression (mostly pros and cons), will avoid spoilers if possible

PROS
_ Difficulty up a lot, especially early into the game and second time E4. I didn't really grind my team so E4 was outleveling my team by 10-15 levels, costing a lot of items to pass. Ash was even much harder.
_ Type balancing, making some types not so OP and some types more useful, neat. Also made some pokemons more viable.
_ Changed types in some pokemon, adding more variations, nice.
_ Almost all pokemons are easily accessible. Some are harder to acquire but I can see how.
_ More variety to choices for team from start. Though there are so many good pokemons from the start that I don't feel like capture any later for my main team.
_ New moves with different effects. Some old moves also got modified to be more useful.
_ Smooth gameplay

CONS
_ Some type reworking on Pokemons just (to me) feels like personal preferences. Most noticeable are Flygon (Bug / Dragon), big nerf, so I have to resort to Garchomp. Gyarados (Water / Dragon), thou it looks cool to be dragon, why do I want a clone of Kingdra in the game? Empoleon (Water / Ice), its original dual typing was unique, now it is just a Dewgong with big Sp.Atk and Snow Warning.
_ Accuracy modifications make me so furious some times with many moves originally having 100% acc now 90 - 95%. thus missing occasionally. It feels almost like the opponent is getting free Double Team (so am I but I don't want it).
_ This is a technical bug, don't know if fixed or not. I cannot access Pokedex, so no real way to check pokemon's location. I don't know how I capture all the pokemons I want without going through the whole 2 regions again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Good job on the remake. Hope to see more from you!
As someone who's spent quite a lot of time and effort on this hack, I'm happy to see such in-depth and earnest feedbacks. I'll definitely look into the Cons you mentioned, specially Empoleon's typing since you're not the only one to say this.
There'll definitely new hacks coming cuz I've so enjoyed doing this stuff. I'll update more info as soon as possible.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 28, 2016
This looks pretty good! A few of my friends are playing this and recommended this, but before I do I have a question and a comment.

Question: Are the encounters really randomized on Sun Gold? Do I have to play Moon Silver if I don't want those?

Comment: A friend of mine commented on Skype that the Pokemon Changes PDF states that Aron is now pure Steel, which is fine, but it claims it was changed from Steel/Ground? Aron's line in canon was never Steel/Ground, it's Steel/Rock.

Comment 2: I'll be honest and state that I understand your desire to balance out typings, but I do not like a lot of the new type chart changes, especically Water beating Electric. It makes sense, but it really seem jarring, and I'm sure I'll forget when I start playing.

Still, this looks great!

walnut3072

Quan
Years
This looks pretty good! A few of my friends are playing this and recommended this, but before I do I have a question and a comment.

Question: Are the encounters really randomized on Sun Gold? Do I have to play Moon Silver if I don't want those?

Comment: A friend of mine commented on Skype that the Pokemon Changes PDF states that Aron is now pure Steel, which is fine, but it claims it was changed from Steel/Ground? Aron's line in canon was never Steel/Ground, it's Steel/Rock.

Comment 2: I'll be honest and state that I understand your desire to balance out typings, but I do not like a lot of the new type chart changes, especically Water beating Electric. It makes sense, but it really seem jarring, and I'm sure I'll forget when I start playing.

Still, this looks great!
Yes, SunGold is for randomized Nuzlocking experience where you can't pre-plan your team. I'd recommend MoonSilver for you. I made a mistake in the old typing of Aron's line. And about the type chart, Electric is now super effective against steel, I gave it the water weakness so that it won't be too OP. This also helps when no pkm in your team can learn a ground-type move, especially in the early game where plenty of AI trainers have Electric pkm.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 19, 2021
Hi, great hack! I'm so happy to see more mods of the DS games. I also like the changes to the types, as far as I'm concerned the logic is as sound as the originals. Its also cool to have some different uses for the same pokemon. I thought I'd point out a couple of minor things that seemed off in my MoonSilver playthrough so far: Gardevoir is psychic only rather than psychic/fairy, and there was a trainer who's pokemon only used struggle around route 47/48 (sorry, not entirely sure where, I think one of them was a ninetails). Anyway, great hack, and I hope to see more!

walnut3072

Quan
Years
Hi, great hack! I'm so happy to see more mods of the DS games. I also like the changes to the types, as far as I'm concerned the logic is as sound as the originals. Its also cool to have some different uses for the same pokemon. I thought I'd point out a couple of minor things that seemed off in my MoonSilver playthrough so far: Gardevoir is psychic only rather than psychic/fairy, and there was a trainer who's pokemon only used struggle around route 47/48 (sorry, not entirely sure where, I think one of them was a ninetails). Anyway, great hack, and I hope to see more!
Thanks for your feedback! Appreciate it. And sorry I must have forgot to add Fairy-type to Gardevoir!
I'll probably release a patch to fix these issues later. Now I'm engaging in the designing process of every aspect in my next hack.
Hope to see more feedbacks so that I can improve the quality of my future hacks. :)

Back