• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokemon Generations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xatoku

Game Developer
Years
Engine: Unity
Language: JS (UnityScript) / C#
By: Xatoku & Skatter

Pokémon Generations is an Action/Adventure game being developed by myself and a friend. The goal is to take the basics from the handheld games along with the world depicted in the anime, and combine it into one fully fleshed out Pokémon experience.

My friend is helping out by managing a forum specifically for the game, as well as gathering assets such as sounds, references, etc. I'm handling the actual development side such as modeling, animating, texturing, scripting, and whatnot. It's safe to say the bulk of the development is on me, so updates are naturally going to be released at a slow pace, but we have managed to pull a demo together which you can download below.

At the moment, you can select a trainer between Red and Blue, and a Pokémon between Pikachu and Charmander. You can play in Single Player and test out the mechanics on the dummies, or you can start/connect to a server and play online with friends.

Right now the environment is just a small area, but as we progress we plan to go through all of Kanto / Johto and tell a story that bridges the gaps between RBY and GSC. It's a big job, but we've made it this far in about two months, so once all of the core assets are in place it should start to take off exponentially.

As I said before, the game is focusing heavily on anime and handheld Pokémon elements in an attempt to combine them. With that, you'll notice obvious things like the Pokéball effects and the overall art style, but the plan is to make a world of Pokémon that you can interact with, see in their natural habitats, etc. Not in an MMO fashion mind you, but in a world that's open enough for exploration, yet still segmented and structured sort of linearly. With this also comes things like traveling with other trainers, cooperative gameplay, loads of stuff.

Our plan is to launch releases as we progress through building Kanto / Johto, and then come back and add the story either afterwards or somewhere in the middle. Ideally when we know we aren't going to be making changes as often as these early stages, we'll begin assembling the story elements.

Apart from all that, I can't talk about what we have in mind too much as they're just hollow words, so I'll leave you guys with the download link so you can try it out for yourselves.

Please drop any suggestions / ideas you have below as I'd love to hear them. It's hardly even a game at this point, but we're moving along at a nice pace, so I'll be reading all ideas and almost always taking them into account during development.

Last edited:

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
This looks very gorgeous! I love all the little effects you added such as the sunlight/shadow and especially what you've done with the water! So far, you guys have definitely got the art style down.

I've always been expecting someone to make a game based around how the anime version fought. Like actually controlling the Pokemon and executing moves that would have different uses in its situation. This would totally open up new strategies and allow some underpowered moves to be used.

And in mechanics, I suggest to remove the PP system and add in a new "fatigue" gauge. Every move would lower the gauge by a certain amount, and the gauge will be slowly replenished over time. This can let the hasty players spam up their gauge, while the more strategic ones take advantage of this.

All you really need is to keep the artstyle and anime-style fighting and this can really be a unique project.

Xatoku

Game Developer
Years
Thanks a ton :D. Yeah the "stamina" system in place at the moment completely replaces PP. We were considering using PP again, but at the faster rate you use moves in this game it'd just be constraining.

Really though, thanks for the positivity. It's really motivating.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years

awesome, I had the best 20 mins of my entire life, but i found charmander more effective, even though i wanted pikachu, it seemed like i wasn't doing anything, I had fun, but when i used charmander i blew through both of the pokemon easily, I was a little disappointed i couldnt do anything else, but it was awesome

I really think this is a great start, and adding more to it will make this a great addition to the many fan games, and may even give Pokemon X/Y a run for their money ;D hahaha

good luck with this! I can't wait to blow hours on this game, I have high hopes! haha :D

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
This looks awesome! I haven't been in Game Dev for a while, and I looked at this. Wow... This looks like PKMN XY remade! I'm downloading this right now.

nuzamaki90

Knight of The Volt
Years
Game looks awesome, I'm amazed at how far this has come.

Whenever I try to open the PokeGen.exe app, it asks me to pick screen resolution and all, then when I click "Play!", I get an error. The error log is kind of big which I why I didn't post it

Edit: Watched a video playthrough of this and I have to say, this is like a console remake of Pokemon Yellow xD
It's just so accurate, the water effects, the sky, even the way Red and Blue send out/return their Pokemon. I'm actually incredibly excited for this xDD

One thing though: Have you thought of how many Pokemon you plan on implementing? I tried making a Pokemon game on Unity before and I tried making models for all 493 Pokemon but found it hard and could only include the first 52. Since it's using Red and Blue, are you going to start off with/only include the first 151 Pokemon and release more in like DLC updates in the future?

Last edited:

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
I LOVE THIS! It looks beautiful, it plays beautiful, just plain amazing. First I've seen a Unity fan game that has a demo.

Some suggestions:
1. The player's running animation does not match with the pace in which he is running. He should run a little faster.
2. The jumping is a little weird. Making the gravity smaller and make him jump lower (to facilitate for the smaller gravity).
3. When battling, it is a little difficult to select where you want your Pokemon to go. The angle is not ideal. I suggest panning out the camera and making it look a little more towards top down (but not fully).

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
I can't believe I overlooked this thread, it's a marvelous concept; even though it's a work in progress I am really impressed by the work. The quality is brilliant, the frame rate on this is really smooth, the graphics look really crisp when playing, water reflections look really good with the sun effect as well. I would however turn down the suns flare just a bit, I also agree with what DaSpirit said; other than that I'd say you've done a really good job so far.

Xatoku

Game Developer
Years
Thanks for all the feedback guys. It's all really motivating.

@nuzamaki90: Not sure what that is. Make sure you have the _data folder and the actual .exe in the same directory, though.

Edit: And in terms of the models, I'm just making them as I go. I've got a few friends helping me out but we'll probably just make them as I progress through the routes. Safe to say, don't expect a Dragonite just yet =P.

@DaSpirit: Definitely going to fix those up. Didn't notice them until you brought them up, so thanks. I'm trying a bunch of different solutions for the camera as I've gotten many similar suggestions. I think your top-down approach might do the trick, but I'll have to keep testing things out until it's 100%.

@carmaniac: Yeah it's a bit intense when used in conjunction with the bloom, so I'll bring it down a notch or two. Thanks for the comments on the graphics though. Nice to know my time was well spent XD.

Xatoku

Game Developer
Years
If you ever get tired or feel a bit tiresome making all the models, these are 2 great resources.

http://models-resource.com/
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=5e68785511754fd55b82a9785d2bf53a&prevstart=12

Cheers,

Thanks, although we're trying to make the models ourselves not just for the learning experience, but also because we can keep the style consistent and not have to worry about stealing other people's work.

Update wise, I just added Bulbasaur and Squirtle into the game. Squirtle's done, but Bulb needs a bit of work. Also made a Green model so the female trainers don't feel left out =P.

View attachment 67352

nuzamaki90

Knight of The Volt
Years
Looks absolutely awesome!

I recently found out that you were the creator of Z Warrior Chronicles (Such a big fan xD), no wonder you're so talented at this. I'm really looking forward to the next update, because if you do the same with PkMn Generations that you did with Z Warrior Chronicles, this is going to be a fangame that will most def be noticed :D

Ycia

Metal Generation.♥
Years
9/10
It's pretty.. The map is also pretty.. This is the 1st time I liked a 3d pokemon game @_@
It would be nice if the rocks can be destroyed after takiing hits.. :P
One thing that, I THINK that you would need to work is when you're in control of your pokemon..
Camera is a bit fast, rotating etc.. I PERSONALLY would like it to decrease the camera rotation, and keep an option that would lock on your Pokemon.. I'm used to drag my mouse when playing a game like this, than to click and click on the map.. Overall it's pretty, strategic wise I guess(Because of charmander's smoke screen).
Suggestions:
  • Obviously, type weaknesses. :P
  • Terrain effects, (standing on water will amplify electric attacks, vice versa on fire attack).
  • The demolish objects thingy.
  • Status conditions.
  • WASD and "Jump" movement for your pokemon
  • Decrease the camera rotation and speed.. More.... stable. ;P

I don't know else where to post this, but I've found a couple of bug?..

• If your pokemon is out and click a charmander, the charmander will run towards your pokemon right? But if you suddenly return your pokemon to it's pokeball, the enemy charmander will keep on running and your screen will get stuck on that scene? ;P
    Spoiler:
  • You can return your pokemon wherever you are, if your pokemon is in a "crater".
    Spoiler:

Xatoku

Game Developer
Years
Glad to hear you like the map. I find it gruesome making them as texturing isn't the most fun to me, but if people are liking it then I guess I can't complain.

I'll try to address each suggestion as best I can at the moment. Remember that everything is always subject to change, though.

• Type weaknesses are already in game and work, there just aren't any super/not very effective moves yet as it's just Charmander and Pikachu. The next update will have Bulbasaur and Squirtle though, so expect to see it around then.

• Status conditions are also already in, but we are going to add an icon to make it more apparent. Right now it's just burn and paralyze.

• We're definitely talking about destructible environments. I made a Dragon Ball Z game first so it's something I'm familiar with. I think you'll all be surprised at the amount of depth we have planned for the environments though (burning grass & trees, breaking rocks, etc.), so that's something to look forward to.

• With control, we're going for a very action heavy combat system, so movement has to be available at all times. Another reason is to emphasize that the trainer is controlling the Pokemon, so complete movement would sort of put them on the same level where as we want more focus on the trainer than in the gb games.

Obviously with this RTS style of gameplay it may seem limiting at first glance, but the alternative would be worse. I tested WASD out, and the problem there is that using WASD and pressing 1234 slows down the gameplay to a more static type of movement similar to an MMO. The solution in the next update is that there's a lock-on button Q/Middle Mouse Button/Clicking an Enemy that can be toggled to lock the camera on or off. If it's off, it will still use the RTS movement, but you'll be able to rotate the camera in any direction with the mouse. We're going to do some tests, but that should balance out movement enough.

As for those bugs, I'll squash'm as soon as I can. The suggestions are really helpful, especially ones as in-depth as that, so thanks, really. We're trying to compile a list of the things planned for update 2, along with a release date, so hold tight.

Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2013
How's the progress on this?

Are you still actively working on it?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Don't revive threads which have been inactive for more than 2 months.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back