• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Apple releases the iPad Mini

Zet

Years
It's rumored that Steve Jobs mapped out the future of Apple for them for at least the next four generations, and I believe it, considering it's Steve Jobs we're talking about, so I think that he had a hand in the iPad mini's development.
I also believe it to be true, he really did hate Android with a fiery passion.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
It's rumored that Steve Jobs mapped out the future of Apple for them for at least the next four generations, and I believe it, considering it's Steve Jobs we're talking about, so I think that he had a hand in the iPad mini's development.
Except that he said this two years ago:

I'd like to comment on the avalanche of tablets poised to enter the market in the coming months. First, it appears to be just a handful of credible entrants, not exactly an avalanche. Second, almost all of them use seven-inch screens as compared to iPad's near 10-inch screen. Let's start there. One naturally thinks that a seven-inch screen would offer 70% of the benefits of a 10-inch screen. Unfortunately, this is far from the truth. The screen measurements are diagonal, so that a seven-inch screen is only 45% as large as iPad's 10-inch screen. You heard me right; just 45% as large.

If you take an iPad and hold it upright in portrait view and draw an imaginary horizontal line halfway down the screen, the screens on the seven-inch tablets are a bit smaller than the bottom half of the iPad display. This size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion.

And

Apple's done extensive user-testing on touch interfaces over many years, and we really understand this stuff. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps.

No tablet can compete with the mobility of a smartphone, its ease of fitting into your pocket or purse, its unobtrusiveness when used in a crowd. Given that all tablet users will already have a smartphone in their pockets, giving up precious display area to fit a tablet in our pockets is clearly the wrong tradeoff. The seven-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Except that he said this two years ago:

I'd like to comment on the avalanche of tablets poised to enter the market in the coming months. First, it appears to be just a handful of credible entrants, not exactly an avalanche. Second, almost all of them use seven-inch screens as compared to iPad's near 10-inch screen. Let's start there. One naturally thinks that a seven-inch screen would offer 70% of the benefits of a 10-inch screen. Unfortunately, this is far from the truth. The screen measurements are diagonal, so that a seven-inch screen is only 45% as large as iPad's 10-inch screen. You heard me right; just 45% as large.

If you take an iPad and hold it upright in portrait view and draw an imaginary horizontal line halfway down the screen, the screens on the seven-inch tablets are a bit smaller than the bottom half of the iPad display. This size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion.

And

Apple's done extensive user-testing on touch interfaces over many years, and we really understand this stuff. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps.

No tablet can compete with the mobility of a smartphone, its ease of fitting into your pocket or purse, its unobtrusiveness when used in a crowd. Given that all tablet users will already have a smartphone in their pockets, giving up precious display area to fit a tablet in our pockets is clearly the wrong tradeoff. The seven-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad.
Oh. Okay.

Well then, I'll amend my statement to: It's rumored that Steve Jobs mapped out the future of Apple for them for at least the next four generations, and I believe it, considering it's Steve Jobs we're talking about. Deterring from his plan like they did (especially when he was so adamantly against it) just makes me angry. I find it incredibly disrespectful to his vision and makes me think less of Apple as a company.

Autophobic

Fearing Isolation
Years
I don't think the price is an issue. Tons of people that use Apple products will get it just because it's the newest product out.

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
I'm an apple fan, I like their products a lot. But I don't think the iPad mini was really worth making. I get it how it could be a bit more portable, but, eh.. it just doesn't appeal to me. If I want something portable that can use apps and take decent pictures and make FaceTime calls, I'd use an iPhone. If I want something that is portable but a bit bigger to really look at things, I'd get an iPad. I usually love seeing their new products and seeing what they did and added, this one just eh, just to get more money.

Back