• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Am I the Only One Who Misses Misty?

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2014
I grew up with the first season of Pokemon, (as a lot of us did), and I loved the first few seasons of Pokemon. I stopped watching for a few years after Misty left, and I tried to watch some of the newer episodes, and I really can't find myself enjoying any of it. I can still watch the original episodes I grew up with, but I don't feel like these new Pokemon episodes are as good as the original trio of the Pokemon shows(Ash, Misty, and Brock). Am I the only one that misses Misty as a part of the crew compared to these other characters?

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I'll give Misty some credit in that I think she had a lot of character potential, however, I think I missed Brock more when Tracey replaced him for that short period of time. During Johto, Misty really seemed to exist to be Togepi's caretaker, and the puller of Brock's ear. Misty may have had more personality than May, but I ended up liking both her and Max better in the long run. I guess I'd have to say I didn't really miss Misty at all. If anything, I only missed Misty's Horsea. And Psyduck sometimes, why not?

I haven't seen anyone after May/Max, but I heard good things about the others. And some bad. I can't remember which side of the fence Dawn was on back during those years, but I recall some complaining.

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2014
I really haven't watched much of AG, I just know Misty was my favorite character from the show, and still is. Not to mention when I was a little kid, she was kinda my cartoon crush you could say. I don't mind her not being a main character, it's just disappointing how she hasn't been seen in years.

Years
Misty is cool, but the one I really miss is Brock!!! He went and came many times, I hope he does that again soon.

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
Started watching from original too, but I never liked Misty myself. Brock on the other hand..his original character and voice actor were great. He added a great deal of humor to the show. XD

Since were on the subject of characters, I miss Gary Oak as well, now THERE's a rival!

"Smell ya later!"

Years
You spoke little but well. I couldn't agree more, best rival ever and also showed us the best battle the anime ever had. Who doesn't remember Ash vs Gary? It was when Charizard proved he was the best pokemon ever defeating half of Garys team.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I do miss Misty. It's been a while since the anime shown Misty and I would really love it that Misty would come back.

But even the one who makes the Pokemon anime said that he isn't planning on making Misty return whatsoever, maybe a couple of episodes here and there but nothing definitive :(

Years
I actually miss Dawn way more than Misty, and that's because I liked the former's personality better.

Misty was never really the type of character I liked anyway, so I didn't care much about her.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I actually miss Dawn way more than Misty, and that's because I liked the former's personality better.

Misty was never really the type of character I liked anyway, so I didn't care much about her.

Basically this.

I didn't really like Misty, she was just really whiny and angry and sooky all the time, which began to get really banal and repetitive. I much prefer Dawn.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I actually believe that many people miss Misty because nostalgia and haven't considered what they might be thinking if they kept Misty. Misty was a nice character, yes. But personally I believe that if she stayed in the group long she would eventually get annoying and possibly be with Ash with people progressively getting more and more annoyed with him. Or, rather, simply do not like change.

Misty was a good character yes. I believe that I myself might still like Misty more than the others. But the others, in turn, also gave us something that Misty wouldn't have been able to give us if she kept with the group. The same, in my opinion, goes for Brock (but this isn't a thread about him so I'll leave it to just that).

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018
Your definitely not the only one.

I miss Misty too. She was absent for longest not being showed since 2006. Im curious to, see some update, what new pokemon she got, how much she improved and changed, did she came any closer toward water master dream etc.

I miss her adventurous, spunky personality which always managed to add life to group dynamics and now that she is more mature and stronger as trainer would open room to take interactions between characters to new level. I also feel she had untapped potential left with writers not developing her as much as they could leaving several things about her goal, story, ambitions unexplored and unfinished.

It would be interesting to see her going on journey to advance goal of water master for example,partaking in competitions which would push her forward(like Whirl Cup was), create rivalry with new characters, develop new battling style and dealing with obstacles which would be put in front of her. Or we could see her going on journey trying to become Lorelei or Wallace apprentice eventually becoming E4, which would be logical step forward in her career of becoming best water trainer.

I know its pipe dream at this point but i feel she had potential to grow more and if return to main cast isn't possible i would like to see her at least for arc worth of 10 to 15 episodes after so much time deserving some recognition as character. She was vital asset of pokemon series and history influencing greatly Ash growth as character, paved way for future female protagonists, helped build anime popularity and left big impact on audience with big demand for return even after so many years adding to that not deserving to end up abandoned and forgotten.

During Johto, Misty really seemed to exist to be Togepi's caretaker, and the puller of Brock's ear.

I watched whole Johto 3 months ago and Misty actually received much more development, battling screen time and focus than she did in Kanto. I can say she still had enjoyable personality there too having fun interactions with Ash, Brock and many other characters like Sakura, Egan or Andreas. Her friendship with Ash and Brock grew significantly too with reactions in Gotta Catch Ya Later saying everything, not being anymore that impulsive girl which just wanted bike back viewing them as "new family". Interacting with Ash in that region was of more lighthearted nature teasing him and getting annoyed in more friendly way(though sometimes she was still ready to bite head of) as well helping Brock about problems like romance issues. One of examples comes from "Heartbreak of Brock" being annoyed of not doing first step forward in approaching Temaku.

I suppose sheer length of Johto and many fillers didn't made it seemed that way, but she definitely had most spotlight in there. Especially during Master Quest when Whirl Islands started.

@BinaryPeaches: I can understand what your saying, however this can be viewed from other end of spectrum as well. If Misty did stayed who knows what things her presence could have brought to series missing out on something without even being aware of. For example who knows in what way Hoenn would be written if Misty stayed, what kind of rivals and events would be created than? How would Team Magma plot who wanted to eradicate water types be written if aspiring water trainer was present in cast at that time? We could had two girls in main cast if she stayed and May joined allowing writers to explore dynamic to whole new level by having two girls in cast.

We could have seen writers breaking new grounds about Misty water master career building up on what was present in Whirl Cup. Such as chain of water based competitions through which we could learn more about this unexplained goal. Introducing water races, tournaments, underwater battles(this concept was very little explored)etc are few out of several directions through which they could give Misty focus and water as most common and versatile type out there provides wide assortment to choose from.

Yes bringing new characters adds certain freshness to anime, but by doing mix bringing older characters for certain periods of time you can provide novelty to anime which only established characters can bring since they already have background, history and all predispositions to be taken to new level. Such as build up on their personalities changing more as persons, evolution of friendship between them and Ash character. taking their story to exciting and undiscovered direction doing build up on their goals and careers, and one advantage they have over new one is that excitement and hype they bring about themselves when given continuation.

p.s.If this question was asked 5 or even 3 years ago 90% of answers would be yes, but judging by current replies it seems tooth of time took its toll with long absence making fans stop caring for one of best characters pokemon had in my opinion.

But people definitely still miss Misty a lot with number being measured in thousands judging by comments i see on tumblr, youtube, deviantart, serebii and many other sites.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2014
Yea, I don't really mind her becoming a permanent character in the show, because it can get repetitive. It's been years though, and I always thought she was the one that had the best connection with Ash as a character, so I thought they were a good duo on the show. Yet again, I hate the fact that since she hasn't been seen in years, the people that are growing up and starting to watch the show now, have no idea who she is. Yet again she was one of the better characters the series ever had. In my opinion, the best. Yet we all have our own respected opinions.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
YES.... I do....

Misty has that aura... even changes the way Ash acts...

Want to get the best outta Ash make sure Misty's there...

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
I remember when Gotta Catcha Later came out, the third saddest moment in Pokemon history in my opinion.

Guest123_x1

You're not the only one that misses Misty. Misty was one of my favorite regular characters in the anime (she was even my first anime crush), and I was shocked to find out that she would eventually be leaving the show. It hasn't been quite the same since she left. Although I continued watching for a few episodes after May came in, I soon stopped watching altogether, because it just didn't feel the same without Misty.

Years
I definitely miss Misty.

But then again, I miss Tracey, May, Max, Brock, and Dawn. I got too attached to them all.
:'(

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
You're not the only one that misses Misty. Misty was one of my favorite regular characters in the anime (she was even my first anime crush), and I was shocked to find out that she would eventually be leaving the show. It hasn't been quite the same since she left. Although I continued watching for a few episodes after May came in, I soon stopped watching altogether, because it just didn't feel the same without Misty.

So this is what you're been thinking for the last 10 years? Doesn't there come a time where now that you're an adult, you can get over what was a childhood crush? Are you actually going to spend the entire rest of your life thinking about this?

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
At times I do miss Misty, she was funny and hilarious in certain episodes. She seemed very aggressive most of the time. I wouldn't mind seeing her return for a few episodes, but maybe not as a replacement. Keep Iris instead.

I'm going to feel the same way once Iris leaves.
(I think I have a crush on Iris, or Emolga!)

d

I don't really miss any characters, I don't mind them leaving eventually. That goes double for Misty, who I found to be creepy and annoying as a kid.

Back