• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Trubbish line and the Vanillite line: Why all the hate?

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Hoooly lord I never noticed that! I always knew Garbodor was unconventionally adorable, but this is news to me!
People hate the Trubbish line for all the wrong reasons. They look at it once, see it's chubby and a representative of "trash" and judge from there. It's like why people don't like Wario; it's because he's fat, completely ignoring his charm and personality.
When I found out the connection to Totoro I loved Garbodor even more. To me, gen 5 was full of mediocrity, and yet, one of the few Pokemon I really love from that gen ends up the one being most hated on. He's right on par with Scrafty, Ferrothorn and Golurk in having a creative design idea (what most gen 5 pokemon have, actually) and just the right execution in the design. (what most DON'T have.)

People should give this a read. Highlights the genius and charm of the Trubbish line.

Last edited:

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
It's generally agreed that these two lines are poorly designed. It's not so much that they're based off of objects, but instead it's because people don't like the designs. I mean, Chandelure is based off of an object, yet it is generally liked because it has a cool design.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 28, 2013
I don't hate Vanillite line (they make me want to heat Pokemon). I understand the hate about the Trubbish line though. Garbodor is hideous and disgusting. Not something you want to be using.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
Despite not using either of these Pokémon in an actual playthrough (for my laptop is too slow to run Desmume well and playing through on your DS is just way too mainstream, I kid of course) I actually have really grown on both of their designs. The Trubbish line makes sense because in a ciy as urbinated as Unova, of course waste disposal will be a problem and as a result this line have been created. Trubbish is just so god damn adorable and ain't nobody gonna mess with a Garbador. The Vanillite line is cool to me mainly because of the Ice typing, Ice is an extremely cool (geddit?) type, and I like a majority of these Pokémon, plus they're not half bad in battle!

Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2014
Well its not their worst at least. I mean the Vanillite is actually pretty cool. The only reason Trubish got hate was because well..... he is a garbage bag..... Well we wanted nintendo to be creative right. They sorta did that ^_^, however i think they are great. Both of them.

fireflystorm

shsl loser
Years
I love Vanillite's line. Sure, I may not be overly partial to ice types, but I don't really see issues with them. I admit, though, that I don't really like Trubbish's line at all. The designs are unappealing. But that's just me; I like my pokemon cute and powerful.

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
The only reason I like Grimer and Muk is because of there abilities as sludge to mould and change shape and stuff. I only like them for that.
There are Pokemon in each generation I dislike (I'm saying this so you can't point out how there are other bad Pokemon with similar bad designs), and in generation 5, those Pokemon are Trubbish, Vannilite, Litwick, Gothita and their evolutions. Their designs are just unappealing to me.
That's all I'm saying.

EspurrsThoughts

I've got a ****ed up view.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2013
Even though they are great Pokemon and I even enjoy both of their designs. Genwunners just LOVE to complain about anything! The fact one is trash and the other is ice cream is awesome! I mean gen one there were sludge Pokemon and a pink pile of *** (ditto).

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
Personally, I think Vanillite is cute and I have a Vanilluxe in my White 2 team.

I don't see anything wrong with Pokemon based on inanimate objects (I also like Chandelure, Rotom and Klefki). I mean who said Pokemon should only be based on animals, plants and mythical creatures?

Ultramarine

Turn the tables
Years
Even though they are great Pokemon and I even enjoy both of their designs. Genwunners just LOVE to complain about anything! The fact one is trash and the other is ice cream is awesome! I mean gen one there were sludge Pokemon and a pink pile of *** (ditto).
This is the hypocritical stance I've seen a lot of. While many people complain about Trubbish and Vannilite, the people who complain about the people complaining complain about Grimer and Ditto.

Those four pokemon are different, and everyone has a personal taste. And just because people don't like, say, Trubbish, doesn't mean they completely overlooked the fact that Grimer is a bad design too. Maybe they also dislike Grimer. Heck, maybe they like Grimer, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
Vanillite and Trubbish have far more complex desgins than Exxegute or Voltore/ Electrode, for ecample. Even Ditto, Muk, and Grimer have "worse" designs than the 5th gen pokemon who get all the hate for no apparent reason

I don't like the "dirty pokemon" like Trubbish and Garbodor, but I'm not going to sit here and say that Game freak is running out of ideas because the pokemon are being based off random, common items. So have gen 1- 4 pokemon

I dunno. Some people just like to find things to ***** about

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
See my signature for the Trubbish reason. It's all personal taste, opinion, nothing more. :P

I kinda like the Vanillish, some people have pokemon "food fights," and it's kind of a neat idea.

The thing is, it's all subjective, the theme of Pokemon means anything goes, and eventually we'll see everything in there. I would like a counterpart to the Trubbish family, something that is their exact opposite in every way, it would be kind of cool to have a double battle with a Garbodor and it's polar opposite side by side.

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
I personally don't like the Trubbish line, but that's just my taste. There are Pokemon that I don't really like across all the generations, and gen 5 is no exception. The Vanillite line was actually pretty cute, though.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I'm only speaking for myself, but I find all Pokemon based on man-made things weird, regardless of the generation, with two exceptions: Ghost-type Pokemon that resemble inanimate objects (often with some kind of explanation in the Pokedex entry that says it's a spirit possessing the object), and Pokemon that are explicitly said to be man-made, like Porygon.

I know that Pokemon are monsters and not animals, but the fact that they are technically living, sentient creatures capable of reproduction and emotions makes it kind of wierd that they can inherently take the form of an ice cream cone, which is a frozen dessert that only exists for people to eat. I don't hate it, it just doesn't make sense to me, and I have a much harder time liking Pokemon that don't have anthropomorphic features besides a pair of eyes and a mouth.

I wouldn't say they're running out of ideas, because obviously inanimate objects Pokemon have existed since Gen I, I just don't particularly care for that kind of Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2015
Speaking for myself, I think Trubbish is just a reproposed Muk/Swalot in terms of appeal: a poison/rubbish/toxical wastes bag that you can use to fight. Yay. If we compare Trubbish with the first ones, we literly have just a bag of rubbish (lol ). Personally I don't like the idea and find it aesthetically bad.

As for Vanilluxe, I don't know. What I mean is: who wouldn't like to fight other mons using a giant ice-breathing ice cream? Maybe it's just too absurd as idea to fit with the V gen mons :P

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 20, 2013
I wanted to like Trubbish and Garbodor but they couldn't take hits at all.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 1, 2021
I don't mind Trubbish, and personally love Vanillite. But people hate them for the same reasons they hate the Litwick line, Chingling and Klefki because they're based off of objects instead of animals... but yet at the same time I haven't heard anyone really hate Honedge

Back