• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Battle tips and best Pokemon

Which starter should I use

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Charmander

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 18, 2013
OK, my friends and I go over to one of our places and we play a new Pokemon save for 8 to 14 hours straight then we get divided into teams and we battle until we have a winner. So I need you to help with some of these things in FireRed

-Battle strategies

-Dream Team

-the best Pokemon for one or more (no legendaries):
Normal
Fire
Water
Grass
Electric
Ice
Fighting
Poison
Ground
Flying
Psychic
Bug if there is one
Rock
Ghost
Dragon
Dark
Steel

- And anything that you think I need to know

GreyVirgo

•=ØInfinityØ=•
Years
A strong Team for you? (This should be good):
Blastoise lvl. 80
Alakazam lvl. 80
Gengar lvl. 80
Pidgeot lvl. 80
Raichu lvl. 80
Machamp lvl. 75

These Pokemon should have HM moves on it so It'll be strong (Well HM moves are really strong for me.) You should EV Train then give 'em Vitamins buy lots of Potions or Full Restores (Revives if you want to.) then After you defeat a Pokemon of another guy try to switch another Pokemon that is the next Pokemon's type advantage Example You defeated someone's Caterpie then he/she gonna choose Pikachu to fight your next Pokemon then Choose the Pokemon with type advantage against he/she's Pikachu.

This Should be a good tip.

Memoric

Real Eyes
Years
These Pokemon should have HM moves on it so It'll be strong
I advise against this. Only one HM is useful in battling, and that is Surf. I'll show reasons why the other HMs are not useful/outclassed.

Cut: Accuracy might screw you sometimes. Plus, there are other good moves which do more damage.
Flash: Just don't. It has crappy accuracy for a move that lowers accuracy.
Fly: Useful, but in the invulnerable turn, you're opponent can easily switch to something that might screw you(provided it's not the AI).
Strength: Viable; it's just body slam without the paralyze.
Rock Smash: Low power.
Waterfall: Outclassed by surf. If it can use surf, why this?

Surf is basically a Water-typed Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam. 95 BP without the drawbacks.

The Best Pokemon in my Opinion. No hatin'
Normal : Raticate? Dodrio is technically Normal too.
Fire: Charizard. Arcanine otherwise (Crappy movepool)
Water: Vaporeon, Starmie, though I prefer Starmie with TBolt + Ice Beam.
Grass: Victreebell and Vileplume are what I can recall, the only grass types, besides Venusaur.
Electric : Magneton
Ice: Dewgong is the only one I can remember.
Fighting: Machamp
Poison: The pollution duo: Weezing/Muk.
Ground: Pretty much everything that's rock is ground. Dugtrio for trapping.
Flying: Dodrio. Fearow is just a weaker Dodrio.
Psychic: Alakazam, hands down.
Bug if there is one: Scyther. Butterfree is good for Compound Eyes + Sleep Powder + Dream Eater.
Rock: Golem
Ghost: Gengar
Dragon: Dragonite
Dark: No Dark types in Kanto, unfortunately.
Steel: Magneton
Your options are limited, as this is Kanto. Just say if you want the whole dex counted.

And last but not the least, EV Train.

BTW you can't use items in battling with other players (Not AI) not counting held. Provided what you (dinger) said about the battling part means PvP.

Last edited:

GreyVirgo

•=ØInfinityØ=•
Years
I advise against this. Only one HM is useful in battling, and that is Surf. I'll show reasons why the other HMs are not useful/outclassed.

Cut: Accuracy might screw you sometimes. Plus, there are other good moves which do more damage.
Flash: Just don't. It has crappy accuracy for a move that lowers accuracy.
Fly: Useful, but in the invulnerable turn, you're opponent can easily switch to something that might screw you(provided it's not the AI).
Strength: Viable; it's just body slam without the paralyze.
Rock Smash: Low power.
Waterfall: Outclassed by surf. If it can use surf, why this?

I know but your Pokemon should be High Level than the opponent's Pokemon so It your Pokemon can do a 1 hit KO, In my FireRed save my Venusaur can kill anything with Cut.

Memoric

Real Eyes
Years
Well, a higher level certainly helps, but when suddenly you're battling a matched opponent? You'll be forced to rely on type advantage. Switching gives the opponent a free hit, which can sometimes screw you over. It's better to have a high level and good moves in general. Suppose you faced an opponent who matches your level; using Cut is a no-go if you want to win. Same with other HMs bar Surf and maybe Strength.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2014
I tend to find Snorlax helpful because he attacks AND defends very well. My friend also told me Nidoking makes the E4 go down easier.

Years
I think everyone above has pretty much covered the basics i.e. strong pokemon, good movesets, EV train etc...

How do these meetups of yours generally go? From memory, it is possible beat the storyline in that time, no? Obviously given the time restraints, having a rounded team of generally high levels (i.e. all around the 60 range) is better than having one especially strong pokemon and the rest relatively weaker!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 12, 2014
If you want to create a balanced team you need to have a combination of different types. You will always need a Water type, a Fire type, a Grass or Electric Type, a Flying type, a Phychic Type, and a Type of your choice. Let me name the Pokemon of every type I think are the best and use the types above.

Water
Lapras

Fire
Charizard

Grass
Victreebell

Electric
Raichu

Flying
Dragonite

Phychic
Alakasam obviously

Fighting
Hitmonlee

Ghost
Gengar

Poison
Weezing

Rock
Kabutops

Ground
Nidoking

Normal
Chansey

Ice
Lapras

Bug
I think Butterfree but I'm a minority

Dragon
Dragonite

Now for some strategy. The reason why I said Lapras twice is because it has an amazing movepool. You can use Confuse Ray and it is very annoying for who you are battling; Try to use duo types because they allow you to have another Type. Now the reason I said Butterfree over Scyther or something is because of its movepool. For me it is always movepool that wins not stats. It can learn a load of status moves and because it learns Stun Spore and Supersonic you can do parafusion which is basicly paralizing your oponent and confusing it and it is really annoying. It can also use moves like Arial Ace and Phychic which is great. Now the Pokemon I put above are not the only Pokemon you should use and are good of each type, Although you should have no more than 1 of each type unless its minor type like Normal on Pidgeot. Vaporeon, Starmie, and Gyarados are also fantastic water types although never give Gyarados Water type moves because its a physical attacker. Whilst I was writing this I was debating wether to put Snorlax or Chansey on Normal, Chansey is slightly better but there both amazing. Try and put status moves on a Pokemon, It gives you more of sense of what your trying to do than just randomly attacking. I am particuly fond of sleep so give Sleep Powder to any Grass types.

Hope this helps.

arcto

Last edited:
Back