• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Musicians' Corner

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
We got together in late 2008 I think? We didn't really start taking it seriously until about a year later. And hah, I don't think the bassist is going to come back to be honest. I love him, but he'd started to piss me off and I'm not surprised he's gone. His attitude towards our band one year ago, when we were finally recording our first originals, was awful. He was never around and would never make time for the band. Any free time he had probably went to his girlfriend. He still hasn't recorded his bass lines for our songs. I'd love to have you guys listen, but they're simply incomplete. Bass is so important.

We did do gigs back in high school. We played a few local venues in our city, and managed to land a gig at a rather well-known venue, where some of my favourites have played, including The Mars Volta and In Flames.

The now-pseudo-bassist of the band is wondering if he should go ahead and lay down our ex-bassist's tabs to complete our songs. As much as I want them done, I don't want to steal that away from our old bassist. He did put effort into writing for the songs and it'd just feel wrong if somebody else recorded them.

We'll probably start working on some more originals soon, which will definitely be recorded over the summer. Once those are done I'll have y'all listen.

Thats pretty cool that youve been with the same band for 4 years, do you make much money from it? Or any money at all :S
He may have worked on the bass lines but if hes not willing to put them down and they are for the band you shouldnt feel bad about using them. I think the new bassist should just put down the bassline if its been tabbed tbh.
And that'd be really cool if you showed us some of your songs xD.

Username: Control of Dialga
Instrument(s) played: Acoustic Guitar, Singer
Are you willing to collaborate with other members: Depends on situation

Welcome to the club Control of Dialga!
Another guitarist yay, and our first singer YAY!
How long have you been singer and playing the guitar for?
Also what does it Depend on??

Years
  • Seen Jul 10, 2013
I would have picked the piano myself as well >.<

Oh so do you play in a lot of bands/ensembles? And do marches as well! Thats pretty awesome, whats the biggest crowd youve ever played to??

I'm actually in my school's ensemble, jazz band, a honors ensemble outside of school, and the occasional festival ensemble when that time of the year rolls around. And marching band. Marching band's awesome.

Week of crash course in marching, and bam, we're off to our first game. Our shows are usually fun and changes from year to year. I think this year, the marching band at my school's going to do something called 'The Groove', so that'll be interesting to find out about.

We usually play to a packed house in our auditorium so... I guess a lot of people? :0

Frazzevous

Impulsive lil' kitty
Years
Username: SkittishHeart
Instrument(s) played: Bass, guitar, flute, and hoping to add viola as well as piano in this list (though it's rather unlikely). :3 I also tried to play with the harmonica when I was younger, but failed miserably because I had no idea how to actually produce music other than blowing or something. xD
Are you willing to collaborate with other members: Um, I don't think so; I usually shy away from people in real life, so yeah...

What was the first instrument you started playing, how old were you, and how did you get interested in playing that instrument?
I believe it was the harmonica and I forgot how old I was back then. I wasn't really interested with that instrument -- maybe curious is the better verb for it. :3

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
I'm actually in my school's ensemble, jazz band, a honors ensemble outside of school, and the occasional festival ensemble when that time of the year rolls around. And marching band. Marching band's awesome.

Week of crash course in marching, and bam, we're off to our first game. Our shows are usually fun and changes from year to year. I think this year, the marching band at my school's going to do something called 'The Groove', so that'll be interesting to find out about.

We usually play to a packed house in our auditorium so... I guess a lot of people? :0

Oh wow thats very impressive! Whats your favourite of these bands? Do you ever get paid for playing any of these? (that'd be awesome if you did >.<)

Instrument(s) played: Bass, guitar, flute, and hoping to add viola as well as piano in this list (though it's rather unlikely). :3 I also tried to play with the harmonica when I was younger, but failed miserably because I had no idea how to actually produce music other than blowing or something. xD
Are you willing to collaborate with other members: Um, I don't think so; I usually shy away from people in real life, so yeah...

What was the first instrument you started playing, how old were you, and how did you get interested in playing that instrument?
I believe it was the harmonica and I forgot how old I was back then. I wasn't really interested with that instrument -- maybe curious is the better verb for it. :3

Welcome to the CLUB!!
Wow you play a few instruments.. is the Bass your main? Whats your favourite out of the ones you play?
NAww No need to be shy but its understandable if you dont want to you can always change your nmind later!

Naww harmonicas are cute! They are the funnest instruments when youre a little kiddie.

Frazzevous

Impulsive lil' kitty
Years
Welcome to the CLUB!!
Wow you play a few instruments.. is the Bass your main? Whats your favourite out of the ones you play?
NAww No need to be shy but its understandable if you dont want to you can always change your nmind later!

Naww harmonicas are cute! They are the funnest instruments when youre a little kiddie.

Thank you. ^^
Yes, but I now I play just the bass and the guitar because I kinda forgot how to play the flute; I only started with it merely due to it being a requirement in my first year of high school MAPE (Music, Arts, and Physical Education) class. Also, yes, the bass is my main, though I'm still not that good at it; it's also my favorite because I simply love the low sound it produces. <3
All right, thanks for being considerate. :3

Yep, they are. Just blowing on them was already quite fun. xD

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Thank you. ^^
Yes, but I now I play just the bass and the guitar because I kinda forgot how to play the flute; I only started with it merely due to it being a requirement in my first year of high school MAPE (Music, Arts, and Physical Education) class. Also, yes, the bass is my main, though I'm still not that good at it; it's also my favorite because I simply love the low sound it produces. <3
All right, thanks for being considerate. :3

Yep, they are. Just blowing on them was already quite fun. xD

What kind of bass do you play? And how long have you been playing the bass? Bass' do have a nice low pounding sound.
Naww well if you can still play the Flute even a little it still counts!
No probs! Its just that in the future I want to try and maybe get some full band covers going when we get some drummers, etc. xD

Haha my granddad was really really good with a harmonica so I was always like thats the BEST THING EVER but could never play it good :(

Frazzevous

Impulsive lil' kitty
Years
What kind of bass do you play? And how long have you been playing the bass? Bass' do have a nice low pounding sound.
Naww well if you can still play the Flute even a little it still counts!
No probs! Its just that in the future I want to try and maybe get some full band covers going when we get some drummers, etc. xD

Haha my granddad was really really good with a harmonica so I was always like thats the BEST THING EVER but could never play it good :(

An electric, four-stringed one. :3 Um, I bought it less than two years ago, but the total time I've played with it doesn't even add up to a year 'cause I kinda get lazy and stuff, plus the songs I want to cover are usually fast-paced, which is hard for me. xD
All right. :)
I also actually dream of being in a band, yet it's kinda... scary? Haha. Anyway, I hope you achieve that. :)

Really? Have you had lessons with him?

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
An electric, four-stringed one. :3 Um, I bought it less than two years ago, but the total time I've played with it doesn't even add up to a year 'cause I kinda get lazy and stuff, plus the songs I want to cover are usually fast-paced, which is hard for me. xD
All right. :)
I also actually dream of being in a band, yet it's kinda... scary? Haha. Anyway, I hope you achieve that. :)

Really? Have you had lessons with him?

The beauty of what I want to do is that you can play it by yourself and just record yourself and post it and I can edit all the instruments into one video and hopefully sync them all up! xD /is smart.

Oh what kind of music do you play! (I was kinda hoping that itd be that really big one that you play with the stick like a violin I cant remember the name of anything atm)

Frazzevous

Impulsive lil' kitty
Years
The beauty of what I want to do is that you can play it by yourself and just record yourself and post it and I can edit all the instruments into one video and hopefully sync them all up! xD /is smart.

Oh what kind of music do you play! (I was kinda hoping that itd be that really big one that you play with the stick like a violin I cant remember the name of anything atm)

That sounds cool! I sure would like to see what you do someday. :)

Nothing in particular, really; but since I want to learn and be skilled with the bass lines of my favorite K-ON! songs, I'd say I play peppy anime music in a beginner's fashion. Ehehe. Oh, you mean the cello?

Frazzevous

Impulsive lil' kitty
Years
Well for that to happen its going to take a drummer in the least.
You should learn drums <3

Naww do you play anime music! Thats soooo cute..

I may mean the cello.. I have no idea xS

I considered playing the drums before, but I bet my parents wouldn't buy me a drum set, let alone drumsticks. :c

Um, thanks? Ehehe. All right, then.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
I considered playing the drums before, but I bet my parents wouldn't buy me a drum set, let alone drumsticks. :c

Um, thanks? Ehehe. All right, then.

Learn the drums! Then we will have a drummer! \o|/ That'd be fantastic! I thought there would have been a drummer who would have joined by now. Guess not :(

haha CUTIE!!! Do you play anything other then anime songs? Like main stream stuff?

Yeah i was meaning the Cello I think, that thing sounds epic
Spoiler:

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
Thats pretty cool that youve been with the same band for 4 years, do you make much money from it? Or any money at all :S
He may have worked on the bass lines but if hes not willing to put them down and they are for the band you shouldnt feel bad about using them. I think the new bassist should just put down the bassline if its been tabbed tbh.
And that'd be really cool if you showed us some of your songs xD.

Meh, we'll see what happens. No, we never made money with this stuff. We just played shows to play them. Most of us were very preoccupied with school at the time, and now we're all ways away from each other for the majority of the year. I don't see myself making any money with this band to be honest, that'd only be later on in life when I've started playing with different people.

You should totally be my new bassist.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Naww thats a bummer that you didnt make money from you gigs! I'd love to make money from music I just need to be able to play a lot better /cries I would be very interested in hearing some of your original work though.

Haha! She said she shys away from people and youre trying to recruit her, very gutsy move my friend!

Frazzevous

Impulsive lil' kitty
Years
Learn the drums! Then we will have a drummer! \o|/ That'd be fantastic! I thought there would have been a drummer who would have joined by now. Guess not :(

haha CUTIE!!! Do you play anything other then anime songs? Like main stream stuff?

Yeah i was meaning the Cello I think, that thing sounds epic
Spoiler:

I have a friend who plays the drums, though she's not aware of Pokemon sites like this. Ehehe. A drummer will come, don't worry. :)

I can't believe that up to here, I'm called like that. :o Hmm, I'd say classical and pop...? Not really much because the only songs that I managed to completely cover was Katy Perry's Firework and a Filipino one; oh, and Minuet in G, though I don't think I played the whole version. I'm not really that familiar with all the genres...

Definitely the cello. Yes. <3

You should totally be my new bassist.

^^' I'm not that experienced, and I have issues with people. Kinda. xD

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Guys.. Im totally self taught >.< Havent had anyone help me at all in anyway! How many of you are self taught? Or do most of you have lessons etc?

Skitty the only way to get better is to practice! Practice practice practice! Find songs that you like the sound of then just get a tab or something and learn it, never giving up! Learning and getting good at an instrument takes a lot of dedication.

-cough-
I'd play music with you if you asked, obvs not good enough
-cough-

Frazzevous

Impulsive lil' kitty
Years
Play with meeeeee. ;A;

I actually fail at bass too, because I had to self-teach it to myself while I took jazz band at my school. I'm bad with tuning it too. :S

Ehehe. ^^' Maybe when I get more confidence, as well as loads of experience, and actually travel around the world, I can meet you guys! Kinda Farfetch'd, but it could happen. :3

I also had no one to teach me the bass; no lessons and stuff, maybe that's why I fail as well. You play the bass in your band? I've never used a bass-only tuner, so I dunno how it looks like. Is it that different from a guitar?

Skitty the only way to get better is to practice! Practice practice practice! Find songs that you like the sound of then just get a tab or something and learn it, never giving up! Learning and getting good at an instrument takes a lot of dedication.

Ehehe, yes, I know, but I'm kinda lacking of motivation as well as inspiration. Maybe when I get into a newbie/starting band, the members and I will all get better together. Oh how cool that would be. <3

Years
  • Seen Jul 10, 2013
Guys.. Im totally self taught >.< Havent had anyone help me at all in anyway! How many of you are self taught? Or do most of you have lessons etc?

-cough-
I'd play music with you if you asked, obvs not good enough
-cough-

I think I'm mostly self-taught on the string bass, though I do need to ask where my fingers go for certain places in 3rd position and the space between my fingers for them. Wish I could actually haul the school bass at home so I can practice, but it's too big for me to take on the bus, and a bit too fragile for me to be carrying it around the school too. :S Darned huge things.

SkittishHeart said:
Ehehe. ^^' Maybe when I get more confidence, as well as loads of experience, and actually travel around the world, I can meet you guys! Kinda Farfetch'd, but it could happen. :3

I also had no one to teach me the bass; no lessons and stuff, maybe that's why I fail as well. You play the bass in your band? I've never used a bass-only tuner, so I dunno how it looks like. Is it that different from a guitar?

I don't know myself, because I usually have to have my director help me with the tuning. Actually, I don't know if we have one too... I guess a normal tuner would work okay with it if you're using the electric bass and the line for it... Might have to try it out someday. :0

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
@Skittish
You just need confidence in yourself! Im sure youre a great player! (Also a normal guitar tuner will work fine with a bass guitar).
Just start playing songs you like and then find a band that plays those songs/similar ones as well and youll be set!

@Flying
Whats string bass.. Is that a normal one or a big one..? I have no idea/ can remember at all..

Also I was thinking of putting up a Song for everyone to learn soon, anyone got any songs/ genres theyd like to see?

Back