• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokemon Crystal-Hard Way Around

Punnagg

Advanced Spriter
Years
Introduction

Pokemon Crystal Hard Way Around is a leader edited hack.
As we know Pokemon Crystal is one of the best GBC games it had some backdrops like Gym Leaders with not proper pokemon of their type or with no proper attacks, the same with Elite 4.
So I decided to make a new game with all Gym pokemon changed, with high level & good attacks.

Hack Details

Hack of: Pokémon Crystal
Hack Name: Pokémon Crystal-Hard Way Around

Features

Trainer teams changed
Gym Leaders teams edited
Elite Fours team edited
Rivals team edited
Whole game difficulty on a higher level
Kanto starters
Rival gets Johto starter weak to the players starter as well as a secret pokemon

Bug

Prof. Elm says names of johto startes rather than kanto

Screenshot

Starter
PokemonCrystal.png
PokemonCrystal2.png
PokemonCrystal3.png

Some Pokemon Changes in Gym Leaders Party
PokemonCrystal1.png
PokemonCrystal4.png
PokemonCrystal5.png
PokemonCrystal6.png
PokemonCrystal7.png
PokemonCrystal8.png
PokemonCrystal9.png

Attachment
View attachment 64487
View attachment 64884

Last edited:

Punnagg

Advanced Spriter
Years
sorry i didnt do it yet bt i will in near future till then please play this game and also some trainers are not edited which i will do in few days.
thank you

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2014
Cool. There aren't many Gen II hacks out there, even simple ones like this. Not changing wild Pokemon is not a huge deal, as it will just make level grinding hard, even more challenge. However, a "251" addition would be appreciated. I'll be playing it, so I can catch any trainers that might have slipped through the cracks.

Punnagg

Advanced Spriter
Years
People please comment on the game if you liked and tell me how is it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2012
I like this hack. I'll play it now. Crystal was one of my favorite game. Good job! BTW, until when did you edit this?

Punnagg

Advanced Spriter
Years
well the gym leaders, elite4 and rivals team are completely edited.
as for the other trainers i have edited only some of them.
thanks for playing please tell if i need to do any changes.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Not bad!
I've been looking for a reason to play Crystal again and hard way seems to be good way but then I saw Kanto starters... :/
Oh my... again? I'm starting to be sick of everyone putting Kanto starters instead of starters that belong to the game :/
I may be the only one but using Kanto starters again and again kinda gets boring...

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
Years
Not bad!
I've been looking for a reason to play Crystal again and hard way seems to be good way but then I saw Kanto starters... :/
Oh my... again? I'm starting to be sick of everyone putting Kanto starters instead of starters that belong to the game :/
I may be the only one but using Kanto starters again and again kinda gets boring...

You're not the only one, I was going to play this as well, but then I saw the Kanto starters instead of the normal Johto ones.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Kanto starters as much as everyone does, but nearly every hack nowadays uses them, and I would perfer to use the Johto starters in Johto.

Punnagg

Advanced Spriter
Years
For the people who wanted original starters i have made a game with them please enjoy it.
the hack has been posted with changes please continue playing.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
Years
Awesome! I'll try it in a bit!

Just one question, is the whole game edited yet? Like Kanto and everything? Or did you only edit to a certain point so far?

Punnagg

Advanced Spriter
Years
i have done in bits right now but i will hack the whole game in some weeks.

Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2012
Have you changed the way, that Pokemons like Haunter and Scyther evolves? I mean, do we have to trade and use held-items to evolve specific Pokemons?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I've been keeping an eye on this thread although I've to admit, I don't think I'll get to playing it though.

Anyway, I'd created a simple evolution hack for Crystal for this purpose and you can either use it or change the evolutions yourself. It's very easy to do it on your own as well, only thing you need to do is download a hex editor and change a couple of bytes in those offsets you'll find linked to that website.

Evolution hack

P.S
Instead of having two different patch files, it would be cool if in the beginning of the game, you were asked whether you prefer Kanto starters to Johto ones or not and depending on the answer, the pokeballs in Elm's Lab would contain Kanto/Johto starters.

Punnagg

Advanced Spriter
Years
hey miksy thanks for the patch file and the info on changing evo.
i had intended to combine both games bt i cant do it u see m not gud at those things, i m a spriter.

One more thing i have played all your games and m a big fan of yours.
your hacks are bang on preety gud.
can you help me out in this one.

Punnagg

Advanced Spriter
Years
Guys tell me please what changes should i do the hack.......................

Back