• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
Years
Yes, only the Pokemon that K.O'd gets the EV. Either train before or after, then focus on EVs, and return to focusing on EXP. Much easier to do one then the other, rather than both at once.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Since I am not 100% sure of this...if you max out an EV, then start battling Pokémon that don't give that EV, can you lose those EV points on the other stat? For instance, after maxing out attack and speed, let's say, does battling Pokémon who give defensive EVs remove your attack and speed efforts? i.e. do they recalculate over time based on what you're currently doing?

Cyclone

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Since I am not 100% sure of this...if you max out an EV, then start battling Pokémon that don't give that EV, can you lose those EV points on the other stat? For instance, after maxing out attack and speed, let's say, does battling Pokémon who give defensive EVs remove your attack and speed efforts? i.e. do they recalculate over time based on what you're currently doing?

Cyclone

So you're asking... if you have 510 EVs in one stat... and you battle another POKeMON that delivers a different EV, will that deduct from the capped stat? The answer to this one is no. Once 510 EV's have been acquired, you with 'em for life.

However, if, say, you wanted to put 170 EV's in 3 stats (510 total) you would have to consciously stop building EV's in that particular stat once you reach 170 in the stat you wanted. Lest, you battle one more POKeMON and acquire another EV in that stat with 170 of them, which in turn would make the other stat which was supposed to have 170, now only to be able to have 169? You feel me?

Lame-Man's Term: 510 EVs are available when a POKeMON is caught or bred. From there you decide how to divvy up that 510 EVs in to whatever stats. You could pour all 510 EVs into one stat, you could put 252 into two stats 170 into three stats and so on and so forth, it is your duty to decide that. When you've come up with a build, how you'd like to pursue it is again, up to you not to exceed the planned number of EVs you wanted in that stat.

God I'm confusing myself.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
Years
It should be noted that you can use specific berries to lower an EV (in case you accidentally got some unwanted EVs) if you're seeking the perfect Pokemon. So you aren't really "stuck for life" but you will have to use those special berries to achieve that.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
Should i really start here?

I've stopped playing pokemon a few years ago (after ruby/sapphire) and i started again this week buying white. I want to fill the gap and buy platinum too. I was sure i was gonna start with gen 5 but i found platinum at a very cheap price. Considering i would like to play soul silver and white 2 too which order should i follow? I was thinking about white-platinum-white2 so i don't have to play two games in a row in the same region and i'll be able to trasfer old gen pokemon to W2. What do you suggest? Another possibility is platinum-white-soul silver-white 2

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
I'd probably do what you suggested, but i own Platinum & White, so from experience you should start with Platinum. Gen III to Gen V is a HUGE jump, just get familiar with Gen IV first so the jump will be easy. I'm getting Black 2 when it comes out which is like October? So have a break between White & White 2. Hope this helped.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
That's not a bad idea, to have something inbetween the two Unova games. And if you don't mind paying for extra games (especially if they are cheap anyway; note though retail HGSS comes with the neat Pokewalker) then I would suggest getting those 4th gen games to try out. (Plus you only need the one DS to transfer 4th gen Pokemon to BW/B2W2 as well). Those orders you suggested are fine; although I suppose there is no universal 'best' order for everyone.

I'll just merge this with the help/questions thread too in case someone else wants to offer their input.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
Thank u both guys, sorry i should have posted here in first place. Honestly i think i won't be able to wait for platinum to arrive (online store) so when 3ds xl arrives i'm gonna play white. Ninja you talk about a big jump? That's exactly what i'm looking forward to! I think it will be cool to have something pretty different from what i'm used to. I'm quite an experienced player (videogames in general) so i think i'll be able to play with no problems at all. There's just something i need an help with. When i played pokemon as a kid i never worried too much about having a competitive team and i just levelled up the starter and a few other pokemons (generally legendaries, yeah i was a little n00b xD). I've heard that there are some differences in the levelling system (you can decide which skill to grow up more effectively) and nature (i think some of these feautures were in ruby too). Can you tell me something more about that? (even an online guide will be ok ;))

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
I could definitely help you there :P I got mentored in CBC, so i know how to battle. Just VM what you want to know and i'll tell you.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
Thanks but.. what does these acronyms mean? :embarrass (cbc and vm). Btw i would like to know how the stat system works and how to influence stats in order for example to max attack or special defense. In fact watching wifi battles on youtube i've heard guys saying something like "this is a very defensive /pokename/". Basically are pokemon of the same species dramatically different from each other depending on the tools you use on them (like iron etc) and on the nature? I never focused on that before.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Thanks but.. what does these acronyms mean? :embarrass (cbc and vm). Btw i would like to know how the stat system works and how to influence stats in order for example to max attack or special defense. In fact watching wifi battles on youtube i've heard guys saying something like "this is a very defensive /pokename/". Basically are pokemon of the same species dramatically different from each other depending on the tools you use on them (like iron etc) and on the nature? I never focused on that before.

I suggest taking this question over to the CBC, which stands for Competitive Battling Center. It is located on this forum under the trade corner. Also Vm stands for visitor message! :)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Zap Cannon.

Those two words form the name of a Pokémon move learned by very few Pokémon in Unova. It gives 120 base power, and paralyzes upon impact, no exceptions (barring a Pokémon immune to that), but only hits roughly half the time.

There are a total of five Pokémon who can learn Zap Cannon. First, there's Genesect...who may not be in B/W prior to the sequel, so it may not count. That leaves four. The Kilnk evolutionary line is next. That leaves one. Eelektrik. And he doesn't get it until Lv.69.

My question is this: is it worthwhile to wait for Zap Cannon? Would you use this move over another Electric attack with a base power of, say, 80 but has a 100% chance of striking? Or should I base my decision on whether I want Thrash at Lv.74? Obviously if I go for either of these, I can't evolve it to Eelektross until that point; if I evolve now, the move will be lost, unable to be recalled by even a move relearner. I'm only at Lv.43 now, so I still have a few levels to go.

Cyclone

Years
Zap Cannon.

Those two words form the name of a Pokémon move learned by very few Pokémon in Unova. It gives 120 base power, and paralyzes upon impact, no exceptions (barring a Pokémon immune to that), but only hits roughly half the time.

There are a total of five Pokémon who can learn Zap Cannon. First, there's Genesect...who may not be in B/W prior to the sequel, so it may not count. That leaves four. The Kilnk evolutionary line is next. That leaves one. Eelektrik. And he doesn't get it until Lv.69.

My question is this: is it worthwhile to wait for Zap Cannon? Would you use this move over another Electric attack with a base power of, say, 80 but has a 100% chance of striking? Or should I base my decision on whether I want Thrash at Lv.74? Obviously if I go for either of these, I can't evolve it to Eelektross until that point; if I evolve now, the move will be lost, unable to be recalled by even a move relearner. I'm only at Lv.43 now, so I still have a few levels to go.

Cyclone

Zap Cannon is inaccurate, I'd prefer Thunderbolt better but it's your decision. Just keep in mind that if you don't evolve it now it will be weak in the later levels.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I tend to agree, I just came to that on Lv.44. I have used Thrash with another Pokémon, so I'm hedging over whether it's worth waiting for that. I don't plan on using this particular Pokémon in a competitive setting after the game events (I tend to have a harder time using Electric types as there are several resistences out there, and against Ground one might as well resign).

Cyclone

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I agree with Hikari10 that Zap Cannon isn't very good because it's inaccurate.

Eelektrik's level up moves after Crunch aren't particularly good except for Coil (if you want to go that route). Thunderbolt and Wild Charge can be learned via TMs. You're better off evolving Eelektrik into Eelektross, then using TMs to teach it the moves you want (since Eelektross has a very wide TM movepool).

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I just looked up Coil; odd that it's a Poison move. But yeah, Thunderbolt just got naturally learned, and I have used Thrash before with someone else and like it, but not sure it's worth Lv.74. Besides, I already have Crunch for the rare times I need an alternate move.

In other words, I think it might be Thunderstone time soon. I'll sleep on the Thrash idea and see what I think of it in the morning. It wouldn't be the only Pokémon unevolved going into the first E4 round.

Cyclone

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
I just looked up Coil; odd that it's a Poison move. But yeah, Thunderbolt just got naturally learned, and I have used Thrash before with someone else and like it, but not sure it's worth Lv.74. Besides, I already have Crunch for the rare times I need an alternate move.

In other words, I think it might be Thunderstone time soon. I'll sleep on the Thrash idea and see what I think of it in the morning. It wouldn't be the only Pokémon unevolved going into the first E4 round.

Cyclone

Thrash sucks. I know the 120 base power seems appealing, but even in a non competitive setting it is a hassle since it locks you into a normal type move for up to three turns and you'll be a sitting duck for whatever decides to switch into you. Wild Charge has 135 base power when you factor in STAB, so if you're looking for raw power, that might be a better choice. If you simply must have a normal type move, use Return. With max happiness it has 100 base power and no drawbacks.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I am seriously thinking about Return at some point. After all, it's good enough for Bianca after you get home.

I never thought about the STAB calculations; I like that 135 and I am thinking of grabbing that move even without knowing that. I've decided Thrash isn't worthwhile; it works best when you know the battle will be over in one or two turns, and only uses one PP if it happens two or three times. Otherwise, you end up confused and hurting yourself, and for possibly two turns can't even heal yourself. Useless.

Cyclone

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I am seriously thinking about Return at some point. After all, it's good enough for Bianca after you get home.

I never thought about the STAB calculations; I like that 135 and I am thinking of grabbing that move even without knowing that. I've decided Thrash isn't worthwhile; it works best when you know the battle will be over in one or two turns, and only uses one PP if it happens two or three times. Otherwise, you end up confused and hurting yourself, and for possibly two turns can't even heal yourself. Useless.

Cyclone

Even though Return has good neutral coverage, it doesn't hit anything supereffectively. Plus, with both Wild Charge/Thunderbolt + Return, you're totally walled by Golurk. While Crunch can help in that case, Eelektross is left walled by some Steel Pokemon. As I said before, Eelektross has a wide TM movepool and it should take advantage of it (apart from its level-up moves). Since your Eelektross is physically oriented, Brick Break may be a good choice, but you can use Flamethrower if you want instead.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Even though Return has good neutral coverage, it doesn't hit anything supereffectively. Plus, with both Wild Charge/Thunderbolt + Return, you're totally walled by Golurk. While Crunch can help in that case, Eelektross is left walled by some Steel Pokemon. As I said before, Eelektross has a wide TM movepool and it should take advantage of it (apart from its level-up moves). Since your Eelektross is physically oriented, Brick Break may be a good choice, but you can use Flamethrower if you want instead.
Oh no, no, I'm not putting Return on Eelektrik/tross. I meant I might consider it for another Pokémon. I'm familiar with Golurk and Chandelure, both with a Ghost subtype, and Cofagrigus, pure Ghost. They have to be the most annoying Pokémon to fight because of that type, and when I first encounter the type in a game I have to relearn what I'm doing against them; I tend to have Pokémon with normal moves along for the ride by that stage.

Cyclone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back