• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you really need that tablet?

Favorite device?

• Total voters

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
Alright, I haven't posted a thread in eons, so I will get yet another creative discussion going.

Nowadays, we have tablets, desktops, smartphones, and laptops. My question to you all is, what is favorite choice and why? What devices do you despise or cannot stand to deal with? I myself find tablets an annoyance. Yeah, I get the fact that they are portable and have apps, but really? To me, they seem like a watered-down version of laptops, but even smaller. You cannot use CDs/DVDs, there are no USB ports, and you cannot install 3rd party (or things that are not endorsed) programs. I also think smartphones are quite aggravating because when I tried out an Android, it froze when I tried to text. When I used an iPhone, I didn't like Siri because it just plain creeps me out. So of course, that narrows my opinions down to a desktop or laptop. Desktops are really nice because you can customize them easily, inside and out, and can usually do a helluva lot more than a laptop. But I prefer a laptop over a desktop because of the portability, and I can basically carry my work, movies, music, and games with me without too much hassle. Sure, the batteries for laptops irritate me once in a while, but that's something I'm willing to put up with.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Actually, I picture a tablet being a giant phone...without the phone or texting. xD

But anyways, I find myself using my android phone a lot more than any of my devices (computer & tablet). It has evolved to become my "portable" computer because whenever I feel lazy to go to the other room and get on PC or do my homework, I can just use google right on my phone and like... not worry about it. xD It has also become extremely helpful when it comes to reading ebooks, especially textbooks. Tablet ran out of battery? There's my phone. Computer being used by someone else? There's my phone.

I got a tablet for Christmas, and to be honest it has been tough getting used to, because I always relied on my phone. But it works the same way as my phone, just bigger screen size and has a later version of it (running ICS 4.0.4, while my phone runs Froyo 2.2).

To be quite honest, I hate laptops. They're heavy and a hassle to carry. I know they're quite portable, and like, you can take all your stuff anywhere, but I despise the fact you have to take a separate bag with you.

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
All I need is my baby...the desktop computer I built <3

Everything else just seems obsolete. I mean the technology market is just looking to sell you something you don't need. Tablet PCs are just another gimmick which are limited in processing and storage. 3DTV is a feature back in the 80s-90s that they were trying to push for ages which was never successful.

Also since more and more people are gaining knowledge on how to build desktop computers, the laptop market is strict. You can't ask for any component from manufacturers without a heavy price tag and bare bone laptop selection is limited.

I use my phone to call people and barely use any of the features on my HTC wildfire. The only application which is pretty cool is the GPS, which has helped me navigate my way to Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh Events.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I love laptops because I'm always moving. Even at home, I lay different ways on the bed/couch with my computer, I could never go back to constantly sitting at a desk in one way the entire time. I do like tablets for even more portability though, I have a friend who works for Microsoft so she has a windows tablet and when we wanted to know something or wanted to show each other a video or something, it was so much faster to just grab the tablet than start up the computer to do it.

Years
I do want to get myself a tablet in the near future. My laptop is used for work related purposes mainly so it can get annoying to take it out when I get back from work and having to repack it for the following day - first world problems I know. Also when I go travelling, I'd rather take a tablet with me rather than my laptop, just easier to use on the go you know?

I also want Renpuu to build me a desktop at some stage but that's still on the back burner hahaa.

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
I also want Renpuu to build me a desktop at some stage but that's still on the back burner hahaa.

Yes I shall build you a desktop computer

Don't you mean you wish for me to build you an Overlord Fortress Command center of Darkness which shall be the main base of ALL Darkness Operations?

Years
That would be living the dream right there! But yeah, desktop for home use, laptop for work, tablet for home and travel use, is how I would go about it.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I will always prefer a desktop computer, despite having a laptop (...which is a desktop replacement.) I use my tablet when I'm on the move, though. Much more lightweight and I don't need all the power my laptop gives me anyway.

Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
Any smart phone with 4 inch screen would do for me and I wonder why some people used to have everything.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I prefer Desktops over laptops. Because for one, I'm a huge PC gamer and I like to customize my hard drive the way I want it to be.

Laptops, I prefer them for travelling because, have you ever tried transporting your desktop when you're travelling? haha

And as for tablets, why waste over 500$ when you could get a simple laptop for almost the same price. I think the only thing that attracts me in tablets are the touch screen, nothing more. Laptops got way more features than tablets and permits you to do way more things than you would on a tablet.

So in my opinion, tablets? No thank you.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Hm, I'd have to say tablets. I can draw freely on one, and it's portable, much to my convenience. It also has some apps that I really like.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I love my tablet -- it's very portable, I can take it all around my house, and I can stream media from my desktop and laptop. Works quite well for any reading, web browsing, chat, etc.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I love my tablet. ;-; I can pull up Powerpoint/Word so I can follow along class notes. I can go on IRC and chit chat with my buds. I can play games on my tablet. I can do all of this while in my bed in my pajamas still!

I had a netbook (which is, to me, a tiny laptop with no power) and I hated it after the first year. It became terribly slow and would throttle over performing the simplest of tasks - typing notes, opening browser, switching tabs! I had a laptop that lasted me some 5 years, somehow. In both instances, the batteries gave out, so they lost their portability. The netbook/laptop isn't a top favorite of mine because of the short lifespan, but they get the job done if I want to be mobile, while the battery lasts.

I love my desktop too, but I'm stranded at my desk. There's this vent above my desk. It blows hot air in my face. Yeah, I didn't think that through when I put my desk on this wall. Boo. Besides not being very mobile, I love the power and the programs. When I don't need Photoshop or task-heavy things, I'll just use my new tablet. I hope my tablet's battery lasts quite a while or imma have to slap a boy :3

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I'm not an artist, so there's no reason I'd ever want a tablet over a laptop. I can type faster than I can write, too, so that's also out.

I like my desktop because video games, though.

Back