• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Generation 6's impact on competitive battling

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
This thread serves as a type of prediction type thread, and both a discussion thread as the sixth generation moves closer. From what you know, you can discuss what tiers the Pokemon might be in, or things it might bring in terms of abilities, moves or anything else you think could change competitive as we know it, or greatly impact it.

So what do you think will happen/what you want to happen? What about the starters? The legendaries? What would you like to see them with to fit into one of the tiers?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
After seeing Fennekin use Flamethrower and Psychic (?) in the video, I can assume that its final form will be Fire/Psychic and that it's a fast Special attacker. But then again, this will make it vulnerable to Stealth Rock and Pursuit. If Fennekin doesn't get a Fighting or Ground move in its TM/level up movepool (outside of Hidden Power of course), then Heatran and Tyranitar can walk right over it.

I think Chespin will be a mixed attacker with a bit of emphasis on physical attacking, with above average Speed, while Froakie will be somewhat of a supporter with average offenses, high defenses and low Speed.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
i just hope they have some more moves that go before protect, poison heal gliscor needs a beating.

Years
We don't know anything yet as the only Pokemon introduced are the starters. Hopefully one of them gets an OU tier and not just because of their Dream World ability. I think Fennekin may be OU because of its dual Fire/Psychic (flamethrower and psychic shown in the video, or at least it looked like psychic), since it's like Victini. Hopefully the Dream World abilities are easier to obtain; I don't like how they did it in Black/White (2) at all.

Cinnabar

Fenniken is godly.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
After seeing Fennekin use Flamethrower and Psychic (?) in the video, I can assume that its final form will be Fire/Psychic and that it's a fast Special attacker. But then again, this will make it vulnerable to Stealth Rock and Pursuit. If Fennekin doesn't get a Fighting or Ground move in its TM/level up movepool (outside of Hidden Power of course), then Heatran and Tyranitar can walk right over it.
Well, if it does turn out to be a dual Fire/Psychic-type, one can only assume that it will receive Focus Blast via. TM, allowing it 2HKO (provided it has a decent enough Sp.Atk) Heatran at best. But Pursuit and entry hazards will surely be a nuisance.

But I truthfully can't see Fennekin's final evo. in OU, as it would seem to be outclassed by Victini (Again, assuming it's Fire/Psychic.) Unless it receives a DW ability like Solar Power or Magic Guard.

As for the other tiers, I'm sure it'll be interesting seeing which Pokes reach the high ranks of OU, and which linger in the depths of NU. I wonder where our new starters will find themselves. The possible new DW abilities are sure to stir up some sort of commotion as well.

But the game doesn't come out for 10 more months, so I suppose we'll all have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Chespin is literally the cutest thing ever, and it's a HEDGEHOG. Sadly it seems like it's gonna be another Grass/Ground typing, but if it's faster than Torterra and can use a mixed set then it would actually be threatening. EQ to wipe away the Fire and Steel types it, Leaf Storm/Giga/Energy ball for another STAB. Could see it running Stone Edge/Rock Slide and maybe HP Ice or something for coverage?

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2020
Hopefully we can see something rise up to OU with Cloud Nine. Removing the weather without "wasting a slot" could easily lead to demises of the weather teams.

Years
Not really a prediction, but what if Grumpig got a new evolution?

I think it'd be a premier special wall and strong special attacker. Grumpig might get popular too because of eviolite boosting SpD to huge levels. If Grumpig got an evolution, I'd also see Camerupt getting one (cause they're kind of symmetric). Can't imagine that, but it'd be a really interesting shakeup to the metagames.

If Chespin is a fast, powerful attacker, it may be popular like Sceptile in RU! Unfortunately, it is way too early to tell what the outcomes would be.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Betting on the power creep to break down stall teams is useless since there was a huge power creep in gen 5 and people still found ways to create stall teams around it. Stall will never go away.

Back