• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Is anyone ditching their starter?

Years
I didn't in this play through (despite Serperior's cruel learnset) but on my next I definitely will be going for a more original "starter" that I'm yet to try.

Sandile actually could be interesting... XD

lifeburst

ROAR OF TIME
Years
I ditched my Oshawott on my second playthrough, but on my first one I didn't ditch it. I ditched it the second time around for Vaporeon.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2017
I usually keep my starter even though they are not necessarily my preferred choice, but by the time they can be replaced reliably I feel that I have already put too much work in them to replace them.

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2013
I started with Tepig because I almost always choose the Fire starter, but I ditched it as soon as I found a Growlithe. Arcanine is both cooler and better than Emboar, imo.

Floodblade1234

Spirit of Azelf
Years
well,I'm in the middle of playing Black 2 at the moment. I'm at the celestial tower and about to take on Skyla at the gym. all I can say is that my starter pokemon Chell (cookie for guessing the reference XD) is under leveled. my highest level pokemon is a Lucario. I am thinking of ditching my starter because we all know how hard it is to train an under leveled water type!

Inferna

hello stranger, i'm a disaster
Years
I'm doing a challenge on W2 where I can only use Pokemon of certain forms [eg round/bi pedial with a tail]. So I've got to use my starter- which is an Oshawott.
Most times I trade something over if I've replayed the game.

Floodblade1234

Spirit of Azelf
Years
I'm doing a challenge on W2 where I can only use Pokemon of certain forms [eg round/bi pedial with a tail]. So I've got to use my starter- which is an Oshawott.
Most times I trade something over if I've replayed the game.

that sounds interesting! should make it more of a challenge.

Firestorm1

Freezing Flame
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
I was very tempted to ditch my Emboar in White (especially since Darmanitan exists) but I stuck with it. It's a really mediocre pokemon compared to its other fire/fighting starter brethren though (Blaziken forever)
All about Infernape IMO :P

But yea, as mediocre as the starters are, I still kept my Samurott all the way to level 89. She destroys everything.

Years
  • Seen Feb 20, 2013
I chose Snivy in B2 because my first white playthrough I chose Tepig and my 2nd playthrough I chose Oshawot, But I was thinking about ditching Serperier. Im just not into it but I might let her get her place in the hall of fame and then ditch her

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2013
i haven't ditched my starter (Pignite)fully but i've been using an all around team effort more than i have in any other Pokemon game, Black 2 is such a good competitive game with a good pokedex you have to use somewhat of a team effort. I'm searching for my 4th badge as of now. I've decided to take my pokemon on a grinding journey to level them all up (Boldore,Pignite,Gurrdurr,Sigilyph,Trubbish)

Yoshistar64

Kanrinin-saaannnnnn!!!
Years
I didn't, but I feel like I should've for Black 2.

I picked Snivy just cause. However, early in the game, there's no dearth of grass Pokemon, all of which are in my opinion more interesting to raise than Snivy. I really feel like building my team around Snivy hurt it as a whole, because my Serperior was quite one-dimensional (use Leaf Blade!). I think that if I had broke taboo and ditched the starter for this game, my experience would've been a lot better. Absolutely love Black 2, just not my in-game team!

GallifreyanGallade

Poké Time Lord
Years
Most times when I play Gen V games, I'll just ditch the starter completely, but on a recent playthrough of Black I kept Serperior on my team to see what it was like. Wasn't all that bad really.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I had originally planned to ditch my starter after catching the first Pokémon I wanted on my team, but I suddenly found myself a soft heart after I decided to start with Tepig ─ never chose to use it before in White ─ and I ultimately decided to keep it with me. I doubt at this point I'm going to abandon it, not until probably post-game anyway. Truthfully, the Gen V starters as a whole are kind of "meh."

Back