Pokémon World Champion

Age 27
Female
Seen April 14th, 2020
Posted December 14th, 2019
5,449 posts
9.3 Years
Chapter Two

N and Zoroark stood outside the entrance to one of Team Plasma's labs overlooking the sea.

N was sitting on the edge of the plateau the lab was built on and Zoroark was curled up next to him. Idly stroking the pokmon's fur, N spoke.

"You seemed to recognize Ailette. Is she your daughter?"

Zoroark opened an eye to stare at him. "What makes you think that?"

N ticked off a few fingers. "First, you noticed her eyes, which match yours. Then her name caught your attention and you've been quiet ever since."

Zoroark looked away. "I work for Ghetsis now, babysitting you and failing to keep you out of trouble. It's better she doesn't know."

"I imagine your job would be a lot easier if you weren't constantly being tested on by Kodai and Colress," N said dryly. "Ailette is a smart girl and I wouldn't be surprised if she's put the pieces together."

"Or if my charge stopped chasing fanciful dreams," Zoroark growled. "Whatever Ailette does, I cannot allow myself to get close to her. But enough of that, you need to take your duties as king more seriously and stop wandering off."

"But how can I ever hope to influence people and pokmon without experience?" N pointed out. "For all his grandiose plans, Ghetsis had absolutely miserable social skills and seems to be banking hard on using Unova's dragons to make his dream a reality."

"And how's that search going?" Zoroark asked.

N's scowl was all the answer the pokmon needed.

-

Ailette and Pichu followed Zoroark's trail to the edge of the forest without issue.

The duo stared out at the route where people and their pokmon were traveling apprehensively.

"So how do we follow them without getting caught by some random trainer?" Pichu asked.

Ailette went silent, face thoughtful as she ran a few ideas through her head. Her eyes lit up as she reached a conclusion.

"Simple," she said, grinning. Pichu pricked his ears and turned to look at her, then did a double-take as she turned into a black-haired human boy, dressed in a blue jacket, red and white baseball cap and jeans.

"That's your plan?" he asked dubiously.

"What better way to blend in among trainers than pretending to be one?" Ailette asked.

"What if they challenge you to a battle?" Pichu said. "You can't speak human and - what are you even going to do for pokm oh heck no. No, no, no, no, no," he said, shaking his head hard, stepping back.

"Actually, I learned how to speak a little Human from my mother. She picked it up during her tenure as a trainer's pokmon," Ailette said. "And you're strong enough to win any fight we may get into."

"That's flattering of you to say, but there's still oh so many ways this can and will go wrong," Pichu muttered.

"Do you have a better idea?" Ailette asked.

Pichu winced. Ailette chuckled, then perked up.

"Oh, I almost forgot. Why did you accept coming with me so easily?"

Pichu shrugged. "I wanted a change of scenery and traveling the region seems like the best way to do it. Having a traveling partner makes it easier to get around as well. Although," he added with a rueful sigh. "I didn't expect to wind up with someone like you. Not that it's a bad thing, though," he said hastily. Ailette giggled.

"Well, with any luck, we'll find my father and N. After thatwe'll see what happens, yeah?"

"Sounds like a plan," Pichu said with a smile.

"Next stopthat way," Ailette said, pointing towards a towering bridge ahead of them. "My mother said it's called Marvelous Bridge and on the other side isuh" Her nose scrunched as she tried to remember what lay on the opposite side of the bridge. "I forgot what it was," she muttered sheepishly.

"We'll find out when we get there," Pichu said. He eyed Ailette's human form again curiously. "You gonna be alright walking around like that though?"

Ailette flexed her fingers and nodded. "I can easily keep this form for the rest of the day," she said. "The drain is negligible and I doubt we'll get into any fights inside a building."

Pichu nodded and jumped up onto her shoulder, settling himself comfortably against her neck and the duo walked toward the bridge.

-

Deep within Route 17, N and Zorua arrived at a non-descript dwelling and entered.

A scientist was toiling away at a machine among a sea of tables, tubes and junk. He turned as N approached, tucking a strand of blue hair behind his ear as he did so and adjusted his glasses.

"My lord, what a pleasant surprise," he said with a smile.

"Professor Achroma," N said with a polite nod, to which the man scoffed.

"Colress, please," he said. "I have been busy with research yourfather wanted me to do."

"And what is that?" N asked as he watched Zoroark curl up in the corner.

"Bringing out the power within a pokmon and harnessing it. I've made some wonderful discoveries," Colress said, brightening.

N smiled as the man rambled animatedly. A pair of words caught his attention and he frowned.

"Mega Evolution?" he asked.

"Oh yes," Colress said, tapping a tablet before handing it to N. "Some pokmon have been noted to have the ability to evolve even further, bringing forth a whole new level of power. Audino is one such pokmon."

N stared at the images of a Mega Audino compared to a regular one with a frown, then read some of the notes.

"A bond with a trainer?" he asked. "How can there ever be a bond between a tool and their user?"

Colress smiled thinly. "Your guess is as good as mine, your majesty. But on the bright side, there have been cases of pokmon Mega Evolving without need of such bonds. Or a Mega Stone," he added thoughtfully. "But so far, that phenomenon has only been observed with Hoenn pokmon; namely Rayquaza and the Eon Duo, Latias and Latios."

"Would it be possible to replicate such a feat?" N asked, setting the tablet down.

"Not without time and resources I don't have access to," Colress said with a sigh. "But we don't need them for Team Plasma's dream to be a reaility. Once we have the dragons, Unova will be ours."

N glanced at Zoroark and he nodded slowly.

-

"Pay attention, Ailette. This is important."

The young zorua tilted her head, flicking her ears dismissively. "How is learning how to speak Human important?"

Zoroark sighed, rubbing her muzzle. "There's only so many ways you can say your name before you start repeating yourself, so pokmon have learned to use their whole body in the way they communicate. Unfortunately, Mew didn't give humans the same ability, so they've had to improvise. Often by making their languages much more complicated than they have any right to be."

Ailette nodded slowly, perking up. "I see..."

"No, you don't; otherwise you'd have been done an hour ago," Zoroark said testily.

"Not my fault it's hard to stop doing what's been instinctive for every pokmon since the day they were born," Ailette said, tail lashing in irritation.

"I know it's frustrating," Zoroark said, "but given how you seem to enjoy turning into a human, you may as well know how to talk like them."

Ailette let her illusion cover her, turning her into a young black-haired boy.

"Human human. Hu-human, manman?" she asked.

Zoroark bopped her lightly on the head, dispelling the illusion.

"Your accent is atrocious," she remarked.

-

Zorua and Pichu craned their heads back to stare up at the magnificence of Marvelous bridge.

Unfortunately, it was closed off, with a sign neither could read.

"Well, that's unfortunate," Pichu grumbled. "How are we supposed to follow Zoroark and N now?"

"Perhaps find some other way?" Ailette replied, keeping her voice low, as there were other humans about and she wanted to keep her mute faade as long as she could.

"Hey, boy!" came a voice, causing her to freeze. "Are you trying to get across to the other side?"

Ailette turned to see someone decked out in a bright neon vest with a belt of tools slung on his hips walking toward her.

At her nod, the worker frowned, stroking his chin. "Unfortunately it's swanna mating season and the bridge is a popular site for them. It becomes exceptionally dangerous for a few weeks. You'll have better luck using Skyarrow Bridge from Castelia City."

He pulled a map out, showing where they were and then traced a path back the way they had come, then to another city Nimbasa and then further south to a sprawling metropolis, then east. Pichu perked up, as they'd then be at Pinwheel Forest.

"I heard there's a few colonies of pikachu and the like living in the forest," the worker said, staring at Pichu. "You taking him to see his relatives or something?"

Ailette nodded, taking note of Pichu's sudden discomfort at the prospect of meeting the pokmon that had shunned him and she stroked his fur soothingly.

"Best of luck to you then," the worker said and the two departed.

-

Wandering around the city of Nimbasa, Ailette and Pichu took in the sights and sounds.

"You ever seen anything like this?" Pichu asked in awe, staring up at the massive ferris wheel.

Ailette shook her head. "Never left the forest. Just watched the people walking through it."

"You there! Boy!"

Ailette turned to see a human clad in a form-fitting black and yellow outfit that reminded Ailette of a beedrill. She nodded politely as the woman walked up to them.

"Are you going on the wheel?"

Ailette shrugged, not trusting herself to speak and the woman tilted her head. "Not much of a talker, eh? No worries. Name's Elesa, the gym leader of this city. I specialize in electric types and noticed your pichu; they're notoriously hard to come by and it's not often I see one. Can I pet him?"

"Forward, isn't she?" Pichu muttered, leaning forward on Ailette's shoulder. Elesa stroked his head and smiled.

"That's one way of putting it," she said matter-of-factly, startling the mouse pokmon. "I can understand Electric-types," she added at his stunned look. "Wellgenerally, anyway. Can't seem to get the subtle nuances down."

Ailette grinned and Pichu chuckled.

"Come on, they're about to start the wheel," she said, grabbing Ailette's hand and they entered the machine.

Peering over the edge of the capsule they were seated in, Ailette watched the ground drop away and she leaned back and turned her attention to the woman who had taken such an interest in them.

"You're not really human, are you?" Elesa asked.

Ailette froze and stared at the woman before lunging for the open window of the car.

A hand seized the back of her disguised form and hauled her back into her seat, pushing her down firmly.

"I'm not going to hurt you," Elesa said patiently. Ailette rubbed her shoulder and eyed the woman warily. "I'm just curious as to why you're passing yourself off as a human."

She crossed her arms and leaned back in her seat, crossing one leg over the other.

"Ithink we can trust her," Pichu murmured to Ailette. "She waited until we were alone before doing this. It would've been a lot worse had we been on the ground."

Ailette bit her lip and frowned before she sighed. No point in trying to get past a gym leader. Her form poofed, revealing her gray and orange fur.

"A zorua," Elesa said, clapping her hands together lightly. "Not what I was expecting, actually."

"I have a feeling I'm going to get response that a lot," Ailette muttered. Elesa tilted her head, glancing at Pichu, who offered a translation.

"Well, the only reason I could tell you weren't a human was because I work in the modeling industry and have worked with all manner of people dedicated to posing people for the best shot. Along the way, I've picked up the uncanny ability to pick up on people's intentions through body language and the like."

"And what did Ailette's posture tell you?" Pichu asked.

If Elesa thought a zorua with a name of its own was odd, she didn't say anything. "She was curious, yet cautious. Always seemed ready to flee at a moment's notice," Elesa said, leaning her head on her hand, eyes glimmering with amusement. "And I daresay leaping out of a Ferris Wheel would've gotten you a lot of unnecessary attention."

Ailette sank into her seat, burning ears flat on her head.

"So, where are you two headed?" Elesa asked.

"South, and then East," Pichu replied.

"Around Pinwheel then. Visiting your folks?" Elesa asked.

"Chasing after her father, actually," Pichu said, nodding at Ailette, who had resumed her disguise and was now fidgeting with her clothing.

"Ah," Elesa said, nodding. "I've heard tales of zoroarks. Notthe best of parents, unfortunately," she added apologetically. "Well, the fathers, anyway."

"I just want to know why he's with Team Plasma," Ailette said and Pichu translated.

Elesa's eyes widened slightly and she leaned forward. "You've met Team Plasma?"

"Well, someone calling himself their king, at least," Pichu said.

"Makes sense, what with their medieval motif," Elesa said musingly. "This is the first time we've gotten any information on him thoughwhat does he look like?"

As Pichu described N, Aieltte gazed back out the window, watching the wind blow through the faraway trees, lit by the setting sun. She frowned and wondered where they could spend the night, especially in a city.

"Ailette," Elesa said, getting her attention. "You're wondering about the night, right? You're welcome to stay at the pokmon center and resume your travels in the morning. I'll send word to them if you'd like."

Ailette hesitated before nodding. "Thank you," she said.

Elesa needed no translation and simply smiled.

-

Ty, Tsu and Cayne lounged around their room in the castle slowly being built in the mountains around Unova's pokmon league.

They'd been put on standby on Ghetsis' orders and nerves were beginning to fray.

"It's been months since our last excursion to free pokmon from trainers and I wouldn't be surprised if our work has been undone by this point," Cayne ground out, pacing back and forth.

"Relax," Ty ordered. "The reports from Lacunosa show they've released all their pokmon and have made no attempts to recapture them and have even outlawed pok balls in their city. Our plan is slowly gaining ground and soon the rest of Unova will follow suit."

"Easy for you to say," Tsu muttered, poring over his notes. "You don't have to organize all the reports. For example, did you know Drayden has banned Team Plasma from his city? The last spokesman we sent was turned away by a horde of dragon-type pokmon led by some purple-haired child."

Cayne chuckled and shook his head. "Lightweights, the lot of them. Now, if I'd been sent-"

"We don't need another Lostlorn Forest debacle," Ty said.

Before Cayne could reply, their Cross-Transceivers beeped in unison, summoning them to Lord Ghetsis' chambers.

Swiftly making their way into the depths of the hollowed-out mountain, they arrived at Ghetsis' suite and entered.

Rows of monitors lined the far wall, providing the only light for the room. In front of it stood Ghetsis, who turned to face the three Shadows.

"Good news," he said, gesturing with his left arm. A monitor behind him showed the visage of a young black-haired boy with a pichu perched on his shoulder. "I have a job for you."

"Kidnapping?" Ty asked warily. "I wasn't aware Team Plasma emulated the likes of Team Rocket and Galactic."

Ghetsis glared at him and he meekly bowed his head.

"What you see before you, is the boy known as Ash Ketchum."

Another picture came up, of a slightly older boy, wearing a primarily red and white outfit with bits of red and yellow scattered throughout it.

Looking between the two pictures, it was easy to see the resemblance.

"Didn't he die?" Tsu asked.

"That was the conclusion once he vanished. Nobody knows where he went, but now it seems he has returned," Ghetsis said.

"And gotten younger, by the looks of it," Cayne said.

"Exactly why we must capture him preferably alive," Ghetsis said with a glare at Cayne, "at all costs. Imagine, being able to live forever so our rule will never waver."

"By your command," the three chorused and vanished.

-

Elesa and Ailette wandered through one of Nimba's clothing stores.

"If you're traveling, you're going to need clothes," the gym leader had said.

When Ailette pointed out she was perfectly capable of making illusionary clothing, Elesa's eyes had narrowed.

"That may be true," she said. "But making it mimic movement under various conditions is hard even for zoroark. Besides, if you're just maintaining the base body, it's less strain on you, right?"

Ailette sighed, conceding the point and the model had dragged her and Pichu to several clothing stores, collecting a pile of clothing.

Many different shirts, pants, vests and jackets were soon all housed within a deceptively small backpack Elesa had purchased.

"And to top it all off, a hat," Elesa declared, gesturing to a wide selection of headgear.

Ailette smiled slightly at the pun and stared at them for a moment before settling on a two-tone red and white baseball cap with a stylized pok ball emblem on the front.

"Perfect," Elesa said. "Shall we go try them on?"

Making their way to the dressing rooms, Elesa and Pichu waited as Ailette swapped her clothing.

Stepping out, Ailette brushed her hands over herself self-consciously. Elesa took in her appearance and nodded approvingly.

Ailette had chosen a white and gold hoodie with a white zipper, dark fingerless gloves with red wristbands, dark pants and red sneakers.

Playing with the zipper, Ailette blushed as Elesa eyed her up and down.

"Nicely done," she said. "Come on, I'll see you to the edge of the city. Feel free to come back any time, alright?"

"Thanks," Ailette said shyly. "You didn't have to do this."

Elesa waved the words away. "Don't worry, it was my pleasure."

Stepping outside, they were blinded by bright flashes of light.

Yelping in surprise, Ailette took a step back, covering her eyes.

"Easy," Elesa's voice murmured, her hand on Ailette's shoulder, steadying her. "It's just the tabloids."

Blinking to clear her vision, Ailette saw a crowd of people with cameras pressing forward.

"Elesa! Is this your child?!"

"Elesa! Were the reports of an affair true?!"

"Who's the father?!"

"Oh for" Elesa muttered under her breath. "Sorry about this," she said softly to Ailette and Pichu before she forced a smile and turned her attention to the cameras.

"This is not my kid," she said calmly, crossing her arms. With an amused smirk, she added, "And I thought I made it quite clear that I prefer the company of women when you lunkheads crashed my dinner with Skyla. Scared the poor dear half to death, as I recall," she added thoughtfully.

Reaching to her belt, she pulled out a pok ball. "Zebstrika, front and center."

The equine pokmon appeared in a flash of light, pawing at the ground with a snort. The reporters all edged away from it warily.

"She'll take you to the edge of the city," Elesa said, hoisting Ailette onto the pokmon's back. "She'll find her way back once you're gone. Take care."

"Thank you again," Ailette said as the electric-type horse trotted past the reporters.

Bidding the electric pokmon farewell, the duo headed south to Route 4.

-

Deep within a forest clearing in southwestern Unova, a pokmon lunged at a large rock. Striking it with their horn, they recoiled with a hiss as they were repelled by the unyielding stone.

Falling back, the pokmon shook his head before he sat down to catch his breath.

"Focus, Keldeo," a deep voice said.

The colt pokmon scowled. "What do you think I am doing?"

"Letting your anger cloud your mind," the voice said, now sounding amused.

"I don't need your help, Cobalion," Keldeo grumbled. "At least, not the kind you're giving me now."

"Maybe once Virizion comes back-" Cobalion said as he came forward to inspect the stone.

"That'll take too long," Keldeo snapped before he deflated. "Sorry, I'm just"

"Nothing to be ashamed of. We all struggled to master Sacred Sword. Terrakion was especially vocal about it," Cobalion said, striding to the front of the stone, where three large gouges had been carved into the rock. "Perhaps you should take a walk to clear your mind."

"But where can I go?" Keldeo asked.

"Perhaps across the river to Pinwheel Forest?" Cobalion suggested. "It's a few days' journey from here, which is plenty of time to reflect."

Keldeo thought about it before he dipped his head. "Thank you."

"Take as much time as you need. Travel the region, if you wish. I'd honestly encourage it, since seeing the sights of Unova inspired Virizion and I to get stronger. Terrakion, on the other handwell, he's as stubborn as the ground he wields and rooted himself that way to master Sacred Sword."

"What works for one doesn't work for all, hm?" Keldeo said with a small smile.

"Get out of here," Cobalion said with a mock scowl.

Keldeo smiled at the memory as he trotted through the dappled paths of Pinwheel Forest. Cobalion had been right with his suggestion to go on a trip. The wide-open expanse of Unova had done wonders for Keldeo's temper and he had found himself able to call on his power without as much trouble.

"Well met, Keldeo," a voice called to him. With a start, Keldeo pulled his attention from his thoughts and blinked as Virizion melted out of the greenery. "What brings you here?"

"Decided to get out and clear my head," Keldeo said. "Probably do a lap of Unova and see what I learn along the way."

Virizion tilted her head before nodding. "A good choice. Marvelous Bridge is closed off though. You'll have to go under or around the other way if you wish to get to eastern Unova."

Keldeo sighed. "That is unfortunate, but acceptable."

"My, my," Virizion said teasingly. "You've already learned something quite helpful for your journey."

"Sod off," Keldeo said, sticking his tongue out at her. "You heading back to Cobalion and Terrakion? Give them my regards, will you?"

"Certainly," Virizion. "I wish you the best of luck on your journey."

-

Within an apartment in one of Castelia's many skyscrapers, a woman stared at the TV screen in shock, the plate she had been cleaning slipping from numbed fingers to shatter on the floor.

"Impossible," she said, stumbling forward. Her hands gripped the sides of the TV as she gazed at the face of her deceased son with a pichu on his shoulder.

She jumped in surprise when her vid-phone rang and she got to her feet, taking a deep breath to compose herself. Walking over to the set, she answered it.

"Delia!" came the hoarse voice of Professor Samuel Oak. "Did you see-?"

Delia Ketchum nodded. "He's alive. I don't know how, but my son is alive."

"And in Nimbasa, if the gym leader beside him was any indication," Oak said. "Looks like he's headed to Castelia City even now. Are you going to see him when he passes through?"

"I pity whoever gets in my way," Delia said. Oak chuckled and sighed.

"Give him my best, would you?"

"Of course."