• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trump Declares National Emergency

Years
Assuming he even runs.

Most pundits have now declared the Republican Party deceased.

For a party that has control of a majority of state legislatures, state governors, the Senate, and the Presidency, as well as elected a majority of Supreme Court justices. It is doing pretty well for a "deceased" party. However it is pretty certain he will run, the Republican Party has already joined together with his re-election campaign, and has made moves to make it harder for challengers to emerge.

Maedar said:
Because Trump claims there's some invasion army of MS-13 punks, which is completely fabricated. Much like everything he says. There is, again, NO emergency.

Citation please.

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
Years
For a party that has control of a majority of state legislatures, state governors, the Senate, and the Presidency, as well as elected a majority of Supreme Court justices. It is doing pretty well for a "deceased" party. However it is pretty certain he will run, the Republican Party has already joined together with his re-election campaign, and has made moves to make it harder for challengers to emerge.

It has become the Toadying Party of Trump, and 2020 will see its utter destruction.

Citation please

https://nypost.com/2019/01/11/trump-claims-theres-an-invasion-at-us-border/

https://www.argusobserver.com/opini...cle_083c2894-f5ba-11e8-a14e-6babdee4dbc9.html

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/11/trump-invasion-border-crisis-1097589

Last edited:
Years

Maedar

Banned
Years
I gave you the citations, ALT, so read them.

I've given you link after link showing why the wall will never work, why it will never be built, and proof of Trump's true motives, but you keep going round and round.

Last edited:
Years
I gave you the citations, ALT, so read them.

I've given you link after link showing why the wall will never work, why it will never be built, and proof of Trump's true motives, but you keep going round and round.

Yes you provided links to Trump talking about the caravans, however I do not see anything mentioning MS-13 in any of your links. Consider you said and I quote:

"Because Trump claims there's some invasion army of MS-13 punks, which is completely fabricated. Much like everything he says. There is, again, NO emergency"

I am looking for the citation for your claim that Trump has said there is an invasion army of MS-13, thus the need of a national emergency. None of your links suggest an invasion army of MS-13.

Now there were/are MS-13 members in the caravan, if you want to talk about that we can.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...-found-in-caravan-near-texas-border?_amp=true

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
He has received a billion dollars for the wall with the latest budget which I believe adds 50 miles to it, as such he could claim victory and say he built a wall on the Mexico border. However I have a feeling one campaign slogan for 2020 will be "Finish the wall"
I doubt that 50-something miles of fencing in place of 200-300 miles of concrete/steel tall walls is what he or his core support base will call a real victory

Years
I don't want to double post however the latest information does back up Trump's claim that the border is at a breaking point and thus an emergency.

WSJ said:
Arrests of families crossing into the U.S. illegally in the past five months hit a record, prompting the chief of Customs and Border Protection to say the system is at "the breaking point."

From October through February, border agents arrested 136,150 people traveling in families for crossing the border illegally. The prior record for a 12-month period was 107,212, during the fiscal year that ended in September.

More than 66,400 people were arrested in February, making it the busiest month since President Trump took office and the busiest February since 2008.

The numbers were the sharpest evidence yet that, despite Mr. Trump's efforts to crack down on illegal immigration, the flow of migrants is only growing.

"This situation is not sustainable," Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Kevin McAleenan said while releasing the numbers Tuesday. "The system is well beyond capacity and remains at the breaking point."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-m...onths-than-any-previous-full-year-11551810657

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Just to provide the actual data on border apprehensions (from Customs and Border Protection itself) since apparently the Wall Street Journal requires you to sign in to read 99% of an article and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't directly link to the statistics anyway:

Total border apprehensions, 2000-2018: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/f.../bp-total-monthly-apps-sector-area-fy2018.pdf

Total apprehended minors, 2010-2018: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/f...p-total-monthly-uacs-sector-fy2010-fy2018.pdf

Total family unit apprehensions, 2013-2018: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/f...tal-monthly-family-units-sector-fy13-fy18.pdf

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...or-dollar86-billion-for-border-wall/23688993/

President Donald Trump on Monday will ask the U.S. Congress for an additional $8.6 billion to help pay for the wall he promised to build on the southern border with Mexico to combat illegal immigration and drug trafficking, officials familiar with his 2020 budget request told Reuters.

I'm not sure I understand why he's apparently planning to try to ask Congress again for wall funding when a) everybody knows they won't give it to him and b) he declared a national emergency to bypass them in the first place

Years
https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...or-dollar86-billion-for-border-wall/23688993/

I'm not sure I understand why he's apparently planning to try to ask Congress again for wall funding when a) everybody knows they won't give it to him and b) he declared a national emergency to bypass them in the first place

It's a budget request so there is no harm really in putting it in there, Presidents usually do not get their budget requests approved, and not putting it in there could strengthen the case it is not an emergency.

Years
The US needs to up its space travel program.

Agreed, apparently billions of dollars (I have no source, just word of mouth), went to the Russians in order to get supplies up to the International Space Station. I don't know the whole "Space Force" thing Trump was talking about, and I could care less about that. I just believe that one of Obama's biggest mistakes was gutting the space program (it's actually a reason I had to change from wanting to be in the space program to a different field, my expertise became Computer Science/Programming), and one of the major reasons why I do not like the Democrat party. That's why I'm hopeful SpaceX is successful later on this year with bringing actual humans up to the space station, cause then our source of transportation can return to the US and we can hopefully get back to the progress we were making back when John F. Kennedy was hands-on on-board with the goal of reaching the Moon. Democrats like him I respect, and I wish there were more of those today, but that number is sharply going down. So I still think the program could be in trouble even if SpaceX does become successful.

To stay on the actual topic of this discussion, though, the national emergency is very likely to be upheld, imo. The challenge in Congress will fail by veto, and it'll be up to SCOTUS to decide if it holds up in the court system.

Last edited:
Years

It's almost like he's an entitled moron who just expects people to do whatever he wants and doesn't understand politics well enough to know that this actually hurts his bullshit "national emergency". Almost.

Years
It's almost like he's an entitled moron who just expects people to do whatever he wants and doesn't understand politics well enough to know that this actually hurts his bullmuk "national emergency". Almost.

How would it hurt his national emergency declaration? If anything not asking for it would seem to suggest there isn't an emergency.

Maedar

Banned
Years
It's almost like he's an entitled moron who just expects people to do whatever he wants and doesn't understand politics well enough to know that this actually hurts his bullmuk "national emergency". Almost.

Yes, sane voters have been saying that for the past two years.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
How would it hurt his national emergency declaration? If anything not asking for it would seem to suggest there isn't an emergency.
Asking Congress for money for the wall can also be interpreted as suggesting that there isn't an emergency, as going through the formal process of Congress--especially after it has rejected requests for wall money twice already--doesn't seem like something one would do if there is an emergency.

And either way, he can get all the money he wants/needs for it via the emergency powers he now has for the moment, so why bother? Especially when he himself says that he'd like to "do it faster".

Years
Asking Congress for money for the wall can also be interpreted as suggesting that there isn't an emergency, as going through the formal process of Congress--especially after it has rejected requests for wall money twice already--doesn't seem like something one would do if there is an emergency.

And either way, he can get all the money he wants/needs for it via the emergency powers he now has for the moment, so why bother? Especially when he himself says that he'd like to "do it faster".

Obviously in an emergency situation you want to get the money as fast as possible, which is what the power is there for, as negotiating with Congress can take months and not all the money can be forthcoming. However by going through the formal process while also declaring an emergency it seems to signal that President Trump sees this as an emergency and is willing to use all available avenues to get the money for the duration of the emergency, and is not just merely doing this to spite Congress for not giving him the full amount as originally requested.

Years
Obviously in an emergency situation you want to get the money as fast as possible, which is what the power is there for, as negotiating with Congress can take months and not all the money can be forthcoming. However by going through the formal process while also declaring an emergency it seems to signal that President Trump sees this as an emergency and is willing to use all available avenues to get the money for the duration of the emergency, and is not just merely doing this to spite Congress for not giving him the full amount as originally requested.

How on Earth do you get that from this? He's already straight up said he doesn't actually need to treat this as an emergency and now he's making that even clearer by asking for money anyway now that he's done this. To the left it's further evidence that he's full of shit and to some of the right it's going to look like he's caving in to pressure from the dems.

Meanwhile there's been actual disasters that have occurred and he's not only not called an emergency but he's been outright unhelpful. On what planet does this look good for him?

Maedar

Banned
Years
Last edited:
Back