• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The "Pseudo" Starters

Did you enjoy the Pseudo-starters?

• Yes

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 41 59.4%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
I would've liked them more if they had better stats.. I like pseudo starters though. I used Pansage alot in b/w. :D

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
I don't have an issue with the concept, and it definitely helped at the beginning of B/W. I wouldn't be against it in future games as it is helpful.

I'm not a huge fan of monkeys though. lol And they are basically freeby Pokemon which is a personal dislike of mine. I like to actually catch my Pokemon (sans the starter, of course).

When I played White version (my first Gen 5 game) I used Pansear/Simisear for the sake of having a fire-type but I never felt like he was very strong and I couldn't get attached to him. I ended up scratching him from my team toward the end of the main story.

I'm doing a runthrough of Black right now and I'm not even bothering with the monkey past the first gym. There are better Pokemon for me to raise.

dannidarko

Danni Darko
Years
I think the idea was pretty cool. The designs were a little weird though ,especially pansear, that tuft on his head looked like a certain something i cannot say than a flame! (cannot be unseen!! lol) They were pretty weak until they evolved then they worked well in game!

A few weeks back there was a leak of all the pokemon names of x and y but it turned out to be fake. On that list they had 3 more monkeys but with types of dark,fighting and psychic. And there was also a pre-evo monkey that could potentially evolve into any one of the monkeys (it was normal type). I think something like that was mention above but what does everyone think about that concept? I thought it was pretty cool but like i said the list was fake. lol

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Getting back on topic, I used panpour on my first play-through of Black and ditched it for a Lapras my friend traded me after the third gym. It wasn't powerful and didn't learn any new moves, by leveling up, after it evolved. Panpour's evolution, Simipour ranks up as my least favorite water type pokemon. I don't like the design and there are a plethora of other water types I'd rather train.

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
I honestly didn't really like their design, the big ears made them look rather ugly to me, and the design on the evolutions isn't that impressive either.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
the only one I would use is Pansage Even though it's stats are pretty weak I still love using this pokemon. Panpour and Pansear are okay pokemon but not in the same league as Pansage
Who could not love an monkey with a tree growing on it's head.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Honestly, I don't care about the concept of "pseudo-starters", and I don't like the monkeys at all. Pansage and Simisage are exceptions, though. This is because I loved Pansage when it was revealed, and Simisage is pretty cool as well. But the others disappointed me.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
pansage-pansear-panpour.jpg

[FONT=times new roman, times, serif]The Pan-Simi Family

But I think that the monkeys are a bit cartoonish for me... For starters, I understand that this is a childs game...
[/FONT]

who says pokemon is a childs game?
but i agree, the last couple generations have had some ridiculous/idiotic designs.
this is why i stick to my soul silver and other gen IV games.

Years
Their stats left something to be desired, but Simisage's fantastic hair made up for all that and more on his part. The other's I never really cared for, their hair just couldn't make the cut.

Perhaps if the Simi's had secondary typing, Simisage as Grass/Fighting, Simipour as Water/Psychic, and Simisear as Fire/Dark (Though that's a stretch) they would have made more of an impression.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
The other's I never really cared for, their hair just couldn't make the cut.

I see what you did there :P

Seriously though - while Panpour was useful in the first gym leader battle (BTW- I love the was they tailor their Pokemon to fight yours), he was pretty bad after that. Maybe if I kept him on I would think differently, but he was pretty quickly replaced by Tympole, just cause Water Ground type..

Their evolutions just don't boast the best designs either really. Simipour looks goofy, I don't even know about Simisear.

Definitely Pansage was the best designed of the trio, but they still fall short of actually being good Pokemon to use....

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I like them, but I don't use them because there are other Pokemon better than them you can catch much easier, like Seismitoad, Lilligant, and Darmanitan.

Infinite Latios

Champion
Years
They were essential when fighting the first gym leader, but not that useful after that. I left Panpour for Tympole soon after beating Chili. I still have my ex-water type in the box if I ever actually need it.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
Pansear was my favorite because I just like fire type Pokemon the best. All three seem evenly matched against each other, similar to the starters. I really liked how GameFreak added these three, I think that it would be cool to see something similar to this in X and Y.

Wyntilda

[span="font-family: 'times new roman'; letter-spac
Years
Personally, I tend to forget that they exist. They're decent Pokémon, and I'm especially a big fan of Simisage (because Grass-types are supreme), but I just don't use them much. Quite honestly, I didn't like most of the Gen V Pokémon. Overall, I think they're a good addition to the generation.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
Pansage, Panpour and Pansear, they all actually look great.
But when they all evolve, it kinds of turns me off.
They look too goofy, like characters that were rip from Donkey Kong but not in a good way.

Jumpleet

Rise Above The Rest
Years
I thought I would like them when they were first revealed. After I used them, I found them to be lackluster, with Simisage being half decent. Simipour and Simisear just don't learn good enough moves that work with their Attack stats, which are only decent at best. From unoriginal designs to below average stats, I was disappointed with this trio.

I thought the type changing gym was a good concept, but it was implemented too early in the game to actually be exciting. If Chili, Cilan, and Cress were the second gym leaders, it would give more of a challenge.

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
Generation Five... the generation of horrendous Pokémon designs. Never had we experienced so many ugly pocket monsters in one place...

There is one major, major flaw in these three Pokémon.

THEY'RE FORCED!

All you have to do is walk up to a girl and get handed a Pokémon that's *le gasp* good against the first gym leader! Surprise, surprise! Never expected that!
For crying out loud, it's so obvious why they're there is hurts to receive one!

Anyways, about the Pokémon in general... Simisear, pour and sage look awful. The official poses of their final evolutions make them look like they're taking something.

Not that they're bad Pokémon, no! Their designs when they haven't evolved aren't too bad if you ask me. I like their haircuts!

But I despise Pansear. It's the only bad thing about receiving Oshawott: you get this thing. Incinerate is a terrible move. I hate using this guy. Panpour and Pansage are much better.

And why isn't Panpour named Pansoak? I mean Pansear and Pansage's second half of their names end in the letter S so why not the same with Panpour?

Years
Well I liked the idea of Pseudo starters. You know because there is already nice to see something like this apart from choosing from a starter pokemon. For me I only used them as HM Slaves though...:P

Nakala Pri

Hey, I just started a new file on Pokemon Black and I was wondering if I should keep the Pseudo starter I'm going to end up with, otherwise, Simisage. I want a Deerling so I can get a Sawsbuck, but that isn't until the end of the game, almost. So, would you recommend using the Pseudo starter? :P

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
Years
It was an interesting concept. The Gym Leader you faced always had the monkey that was strong against your starter. Regardless, I found the battle to be pretty easy due to low levels the other Pokemon always being a Normal type. The monkeys' designs were cute, but they never remained on my team after the second or third Gym. They weren't that strong, so I'd replace them once I had the opportunity. In Black/ White 2 I never bothered with them due to how hard they were to obtain and stronger Pokemon from previous generations could be found much more easily.

Back