• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Decapitalization

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
When I first looked at the picture that revealed Zoroark and Zorua's English names, I was thinking something was weird about it. Now, looking at it again, I figured it out - the names have been decapitalized. That is, it is shown as Zorua, rather than ZORUA in-game.

I know this doesn't really invite much discussion, but I thought it was at least worth a mention.

Guy

just a guy
Years
The font is a bit small when the name is on display during battle, but in the message box it looks a lot better in my opinion. I'm glad it isn't something like, "The foe's ZOROARK used Hone Claws!" The random capitalization always annoyed me. ):

The Red Chain

Oh my goodness! I didn't even notice until you mentioned it. I thought something looked really weird too.
Wow, I'm pretty excited. That was one of the very first things to be brought up for speculation, and it's really nice to see that it took place.

Now it feels more smooth, natural, and looks less random than "PIKACHU used Thunderbolt!". XD
This just gets me more pumped for the english version. I hope the names of humans have been decapitalized too.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I've made it a habit to, at the very least, decapitalize my pokemon's names. This will save me some time. XD

Looks better too.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The decapitalization of the Pokemon's names does make the battle screen look cleaner. It's awkward having the moves decapitalized, but not the Pokemon.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Nothing should be randomly capitalized in the games. This is definitely something I was hoping for.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
NOOOOOO...

LOL...I actually liked the capitalization in the games. Makes it feel more like a 1016-year-old kid teen yelling every person, place, and thing on their excursion. :D It makes everything feel important! Though lowercase letters are a bit easier on the eyes...

I haven't started my "permanent" Pokemon files yet (and I am still stuck in Generation III >_>), but I've been following the pattern of just leaving everything in their CAPITALIZED! formatting. Except the thing is, I don't nickname legendaries (and I consider Lucario and Zoroark "legendary" for certain factors, even though they aren't officially)...

So for the nicknamed Pokemon with capital letters from past games, are they going to stay that way or get forced to first-letter-capitalized-and-rest-of-letters-are-lowercase (I'm thinking there's a noun for this...CamelCase isn't fitting the bill..). I assume they'll remain the same, but with the changes to "proper" capitalization, they'll look a bit awkward in Generation 5...

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
WOO! I always wanted the names to be decapitalised. I hated it all in capitals, and always wondered why they would do that. This looks much betetr and neater now.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
I'm pretty glad that now everything, including Pokemon names, are de-capitalized. It fits more with the rest of the game and less-annoying if you don't want to de-capitalize it by nicknaming it.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
NOOOOOO...

LOL...I actually liked the capitalization in the games. Makes it feel more like a 1016-year-old kid teen yelling every person, place, and thing on their excursion. :D It makes everything feel important! Though lowercase letters are a bit easier on the eyes...

I haven't started my "permanent" Pokemon files yet (and I am still stuck in Generation III >_>), but I've been following the pattern of just leaving everything in their CAPITALIZED! formatting. Except the thing is, I don't nickname legendaries (and I consider Lucario and Zoroark "legendary" for certain factors, even though they aren't officially)...

So for the nicknamed Pokemon with capital letters from past games, are they going to stay that way or get forced to first-letter-capitalized-and-rest-of-letters-are-lowercase (I'm thinking there's a noun for this...CamelCase isn't fitting the bill..). I assume they'll remain the same, but with the changes to "proper" capitalization, they'll look a bit awkward in Generation 5...

Spefically nicknamed Pokémon wouldn't be changed because that would possibly mess up what the original nicknamer had in mind.

As for transferring Pokémon across wit the Pokéshifter it's extremely easy for the game to check if a Pokémon is actually nicknamed or not. Even assuming that the game doesn't get standard Pokémon names from set list in the data and write them to the screen (Meaning that every species will have it's name will be in Title Case by default), by that token it'd also be simple enough to code a quick function in to rename un-nicknamed Pokémon to title case.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
Years
Am I the only one that thought this was going to be a thread about Capitalism in the US and how I guess Unova is opposed to that? No? Not suprising. :P

Anyways, I'm happy about this, I always changed my name.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Names are no longer capitalized? YAYZ! My suffering is over!

I always hated how the names were capitalized. I would usually change them, and if I didn't, i'd change it later :P

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
As Captain Falcxon would say: YESH!

It always bothered me seeing "PIKACHU used THUNDERBOLT!" Or even "PICKACHU used Thunderbolt!" Now I am happy.

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
Years
  • Age 34
  • Fl
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
I always hated that Pokemon names were capitalized! I used to be so OCD about it, that I would have to nickname my Pokemon with lowercase letters.

This is awesome ^^

Alaskan Husky

lux aeterna
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2013
honestly, i saw it coming

but that doesn't mean that i'm not excited! i disliked the capitalization of the names like i'm assuming most people did, so this is nice. but i always nickname my mons anyways so it isn't that big of a deal to me

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
I like it. I never hated the capitalization of the names before, but I must agree that this new change is quite refreshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back