• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Best Starter all Region

Which The Best Starter all Region ^^

• Kanto region (Bulbasaur-Charmander-Squirtle)

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Johto region (Chicorita-Cyndaquil-Totodile)

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Hoenn region (Treecko-Torchic-Mudkip)

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Sinnoh region (Turtwig-Chimchar-Piplup)

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Unova region (Snivy-Tepig-Oshawott)

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Kalos region (Chespin-Fennekin-Froakie)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2013
its close between kanto and hoenn. I love all three from hoenn and kanto are awesome. i kinda hate the johto ones, only liking cyndaquil. sinnoh: meh. they are allright. the other two I cant judge because I dont have normal experience with them

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2024
I'd have to say Kanto is my favorite, since I love all three of the Kanto starters. It's closely followed by Johto (I like Totodile and Cyndaquil), then rounded off by Hoenn and Unova (both of their Fire starters are cool). I just don't like any of Sinnoh's starters.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
For me, its a pretty close tie between Kanto and Hoenn, but i give Hoenn my vote:
The original starters are awesome, we all love them and care for them.
Hoenn though had some really cool starters as well, experimenting with new type combos like
Fire/Fighting, giving Mudkip a very solid type combo a well, and Sceptile simply looks awesome!
Plus, Blaziken is my all-time favorite Pokemon, so yeah ^^

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
IMO, the best set of starters are the Sinnoh ones. They all evolve into solid, useful dual-types and each one is distinctly different but they're all well-balanced. Every other gen has at least one starter that's mediocre at best.

My favorite set of starters though are the Hoenn ones. They're not very well balanced (Swampert is far and away the best of the evos and Sceptile is hampered by its shallow movepool). but I just like the designs.

ナギ

P r e p a r e .
Years
i tend to judge Pokémon more by their designs than their battle-effectiveness overall. plus, my first game was Sapphire, so of course i'll be partial to the Hoenn starters.. and so they got my vote. i seriously love all of those Pokémon, though. maybe Sceptile a little less, but it was still cool.

Kanto comes in second, since i did like those overall, just not as much as the Hoenn ones! Unova is third, 'cause i don't like Tepig (i'm one of the ''Fire/Fighting? AGAIN?''-people) but i did really like the Oshawott and Snivy-lines.
i liked Sinnoh's Empoleon and Torterra, so that's in fourth. Johto was just.. meh. Cyndaquil, Totodile and Bayleef i like, but their evolutionary lines overall were kind of boring. they just grew bigger with each evolution, and got more flames/spikes/leaves.

Kalos i feel like i can't really judge without having seen their evolutionary lines, but i do think just from Fennekin and Froakie that they'll end up higher than Sinnoh/Johto in my ranking :P

EJ Nero

Water forever
Years
Hoenn >> Kanto >>> Sinnoh >> Unova >>>> Johto

Out of all the starters I've only started with all three in Hoenn. Blaziken, Sceptile & Swampert IMO are a well-balanced trio in their learn set, stats, and most importantly design. I would rank Unova higher but I just am not a fan of Emboar at all. Infernape IMO also holds back the Sinnoh starters. The Johto starters are okay, but besides Totodile and its evolutions I've never really had an affinity for them.

Nakala Pri

UNOVA Y'ALL!! :D A flaming teacup pig, a cute, blue sea otter, a very awesome and smug lizard/snake!!! How could no one love that?

Next is Kanto, Bulbasaur is just... SO ADORABLE!! ^^

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Hoenn all the way. I love everything about Hoenn including all of the starters. Swampert was just amazing at that point in time.

blue

gucci
Years
Got to be Hoenn, the others just seem a little too? idk plain.. With Hoenn it's the only set of starters were I'm torn for choose when choosing which one to use.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
As a whole my personal ranking would be Hoenn > Kanto > Unova > Johto > Sinnoh. But this is more of a matter of Pokemon that I like and their evolutions.

I've played through Gen 3 so many times and have found a lot of versatility with the starters. Mudkip being my favorite because it's hard to go wrong with a Water/Ground pokemon. But I can pick any of them and do well in the game.
I love all the starters from Kanto as well, although I've gotten to a point to where I usually just go with Bulbasaur because I'm not too fond of the grass types in Gen I anymore.
For Unova it's more of a matter of design, as I've only actually used Oshwatt so far as a starter. But I'm hoping to play with other starters too and see how well I do with them.
I love the Johto starters dearly, and as a group they are unique in that none of them gain a second typing as they evolve, but that is also something that could be considered a hindrance.
Gen 4 is really my least favorite generation overall and while I love my Empoleon very much, and found it's second typing to be very useful in-game, I was not a fan of the other two starters at all.

TheKurtzinator

Professional Derp/Trainer
Years
Its really a toss-up between Kanto and Hoenn. Both are the only regions that I can personally say that I have played through the game with all three starters and that I like all of the designs. Plus, I usually start out with water types because Swampert was an animal and Blastoise had the nostalgia factor . My friends always chose Charizard so I would pick Blastoise and ruin their day in battles :p.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Let's rank 'em!

#6 - Sinnoh. I like Turtwig's line, though it's not my favorite. It's pretty cool. Piplup is cute, but his evolutions are awful. Empoleon might be the most over-designed Pokemon there ever was, it's hideous to me. And I dislike monkeys so there wasn't really much appeal to begin with Chimchar's line for me.

#5 - Hoenn. Hoenn is my favorite region and there are no starters I dislike here, but if I have to rank them in order then this is where they have to be. I kind of like that Gamefreak challenged themselves. I mean, you have rams and tigers in the Zodiac but they chose a chicken? AND managed to make it look great? Kudos! For their semiaquatic animal they chose a mudfish? And, again, they made it look really cool! I'm not a big fan of Treecko's line, but they're not bad by any means.

#4 - Unova. Tepig sort of ruins this for me. I think it's a great design, actually, just not something that's appealing to me personally. It's pretty clever to merge pigs and some sort of sumo warrior thing xD Snivy and Servine are okay, but Serperior is awesome! I love snakes! Oshawott's line is fantastic all the way through, and Samurott is a beast! I'm wondering why it's not Water/Fighting, though...

#3 - Kalos. Nobody's seen the evolutions yet, of course, but I like these little guys already! I disliked Froakie at first, but it started growing on me. It's so fluffly and cute :3 However, I prefer Chespin and Fennekin. Both of them look both adorable and like they could be monsters in battle.

#2 - Kanto. The classics! I totally dig reptiles, so I'm fine with them all being based off of those animals. Charmander and Bulbasaur are some of the most awesome Pokemon there are. There's not that much to say, they're just great!

#1 - Johto! CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA HAM CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA CHIKORITA! Also Cyndaquil and Totodile are pretty cute :3

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I like the second generation starters since none of them acquire additional types when they evolve.
Apart from that, they're all well-rounded fighters one can use for any purpose.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2013
I love all three of the Hoenn Starters and Johto Starters to death, but my gut is telling me to go with Sinnoh. Piplup was my starter Pokémon, as well as my first (I started with Platinum) Chimchar I use frequently competitively (as Infernape, of course) and Turtwig's line is excellent, with Torterra being the best designed starter evolution I've seen, and for some reason I just find Grotle adorable.

PokeChris123

Pokémon Trainer
Years
I'm going to be all nostalgia and say that the Kanto Pokemon are the best (or at least my favorite). But coming in on a strong second is Hoenn. EDIT: However, I'm not sure which set of starters could be my least favorite.

Don't get me wrong, the R/B/Y and Fr/Lg are not my favorite games, as I like games like Emerald and Crystal better.

il_570xN.443927431_t1p5.jpg

Last edited:
Years
I'm actually pretty surprised to see Hoenn tying for first place! I went with Johto, personally; super cute designs and the evolutions are amazing to boot. Will always be my favorite. <3

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I love all of the starters no matter what their designs are to be honest! Its quite hard choosing. As sappy as it sounds, I'll love any starter I use, no matter how ridiculous they look. They're your friend, the Pokemon you'll rely on to get your other team members, the Pokemon that's gonna change everything, the one that'll actually help you start your journey. Without it you'd just be an ordinary kid staying at home. Its an amazing Pokemon and all of the starters in my opinion, are really something. But for the purpose of this thread, its a tie between Johto and Hoenn!

My favourite starter would honestly have to be Cyndaquil. I've always found it really cute and while Infernape has brought me really good memories (being my first starter), I've always loved using it. I remember almost soloing the Johto games with it, its just so overpowered and unbelievably strong. Plus it evolves into a badass hedgehog-like thing with fire on its back! A really nice starter. And then there's Chikorita / Totodile. I honestly really liked all of them, they just stood out to me in particular. I've used every single one of them through a game completely and they all played huge roles in my team.

As for Hoenn, there designs are just so dcf;diogioriofg[! While I kinda disliked Sceptile, they were all still fun to use and I'd have no problem just soloing with them. Blaziken was a powerhouse to be honest. I just love them, they're one of my favourites to use!

Years
It pains me to say Kanto since Typhlosion is my favourite pokémon of all time, but the other two lines in Johto drop the ball for me.

Time for a pointless rating system that no one will look at so I'll just spoiler it (bear in mind almost all of these ratings are on design over anything else).

Spoiler:

So I guess from that best to worst is Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, Hoenn and someway behind is Unova.

Back