• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What came first: Arceus or Mew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
Years
Arceus Pokedex: It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.

Basically Arceus created Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina, the universe, and all of the other legendaries (although there is no evidence of him creating the other legendaries, one can assume this, since they give no explanation as to where they came from). One of those legendaries just so happens to be the DNA thing Mew.

Also, Whether Mew is the ancestor of all pokemon is never set in stone. According to the pokedex, Scientists "think/believe" Mew is the ancestor, however it is never proved or stated as a fact.

In fact, Mew's Super smash bros. melee trophy states, "Some Pokémon scholars believe Mew to be the ancestor of all existing Pokémon, but the idea is debatable." Just saying.

Years
Arceus Pokedex: It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.

Basically Arceus created Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina, the universe, and all of the other legendaries (although there is no evidence of him creating the other legendaries, one can assume this, since they give no explanation as to where they came from). One of those legendaries just so happens to be the DNA thing Mew.

Also, Whether Mew is the ancestor of all pokemon is never set in stone. According to the pokedex, Scientists "think/believe" Mew is the ancestor, however it is never proved or stated as a fact.

In fact, Mew's Super smash bros. melee trophy states, "Some Pokémon scholars believe Mew to be the ancestor of all existing Pokémon, but the idea is debatable." Just saying.

Shouldnt Mew's theory be decided a fact already, being that it can turn into any Pokemon past or future. On second thought Mew and Arceus shares alot of traits if you ask me.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Shouldnt Mew's theory be decided a fact already, being that it can turn into any Pokemon past or future. On second thought Mew and Arceus shares alot of traits if you ask me.

So can Ditto though, are you sure he's not the real ancestor of all Pokemon?

The Void

hiiiii
Years
Guys, guys, settle down! It's offical! The true creator/ancestor of all Pokemon is actually Satoshi Tajiri!

If you think of it, this case is quite similar to the one true God (in most religions) and our first ancestors, the singular cellular DNA thingies! Why? Because fyi, Arceus's traits were actually based on Yahweh, the one true God in Jewish religion, while Mew was based on those single cell DNA thingies, from which all real world life forms evolved from. Also, Mew's Pokedex entries never stated Mew to be the ancestor of all Pokemon. No! It only stated that Mew contained every single DNA of each Pokemon and is believed by scientists to be the ancestor of all Pokemon, meaning that Mew being every Pokemon's ancestor is just a theory. Arceus could've just created Mew for the purpose of carrying every Pokemon's DNA, including Arceus's. Anyway, while Mew being the ancestor of all Pokemon is merely a theory and not a fact, Arceus's species is identified by the Pokedex as the Alpha Pokemon, meaning the first. The Original One.

Speaking of species, did you know that the Pokedex identifies Arceus as the Alpha Pokemon and Mew as the New Species Pokemon? Based on these names, which do you think came first? Alpha is the very first letter of the greek alphabet and is usually used to symbolize being the first and original one. Mew, on the other hand, is a New Species Pokemon probably because when Arceus created Mew, it meant the start of a new generation of species. A species called Pokemon.

C'mon, guys! This is hardly as hard as the 'Chicken or Egg' debate...

Years
I know were you going with this, Ditto is a failed mutation that was supposed to be successful, or maybe Mew created Ditto as well as the others. As for new species Pokemon, doesn't have to mean Arceus created Mew, it probably could mean Mew's origin is from another universe other than the one Arceus created, but who knows.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I know were you going with this, Ditto is a failed mutation that was supposed to be successful, or maybe Mew created Ditto as well as the others. As for new species Pokemon, doesn't have to mean Arceus created Mew, it probably could mean Mew's origin is from another universe other than the one Arceus created, but who knows.

But what I'm saying is that its ability to transform into anything doesn't make its position as ancestor a 'fact' (as much as anything in Pokemon can be a fact). It's very likely, yes, and there's no real reason for Pokemon to come up with another reason behind it, but it's not a fact, just rumors. I mean, unless you have a way to prove for a fact that Ditto is a failed mutation, it still stands to cast reasonable doubt on your theory, therefore making it not a fact.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I'll go with Arceus, but you guys do realize that Pokémon is a fiction, correct? And a fiction that is not exactly seamless. It's imposible to put all the clues together, becuase there really are no clues other than the small amount that's been writen about the two.

The only deffinet right or wrong is what the creators of Pokemon want you to believe, and thus the more recent one, Arceus, makes more sence.

The Void

hiiiii
Years
Guys, guys, settle down! It's offical! The true creator/ancestor of all Pokemon is actually Satoshi Tajiri!

If you think of it, this case is quite similar to the one true God (in most religions) and our first ancestors, the singular cellular DNA thingies! Why? Because fyi, Arceus's traits were actually based on Yahweh, the one true God in Jewish religion, while Mew was based on those single cell DNA thingies, from which all real world life forms evolved from. Also, Mew's Pokedex entries never stated Mew to be the ancestor of all Pokemon. No! It only stated that Mew contained every single DNA of each Pokemon and is believed by scientists to be the ancestor of all Pokemon, meaning that Mew being every Pokemon's ancestor is just a theory. Arceus could've just created Mew for the purpose of carrying every Pokemon's DNA, including Arceus's. Anyway, while Mew being the ancestor of all Pokemon is merely a theory and not a fact, Arceus's species is identified by the Pokedex as the Alpha Pokemon, meaning the first. The Original One.

Speaking of species, did you know that the Pokedex identifies Arceus as the Alpha Pokemon and Mew as the New Species Pokemon? Based on these names, which do you think came first? Alpha is the very first letter of the greek alphabet and is usually used to symbolize being the first and original one. Mew, on the other hand, is a New Species Pokemon probably because when Arceus created Mew, it meant the start of a new generation of species. A species called Pokemon.

C'mon, guys! This is hardly as hard as the 'Chicken or Egg' debate...

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Who came first, Mew, or Arceus?

I know that you might disagree on my opinion. But I think that Mew came before Arceus. Because that they mentioned that Mew has the same DNA of all Pokemon and in the first Mew movie, Mew must have created itself(same to Arceus, but didn't exist in the anime or games until Gen IV) in a void of Chaos, and was the first Pokemon. Then he must have created the other Pokemon(such as Arceus), then Arceus must have created the other Legendary Pokemon. But that the reason why Arceus must have been classified as a god is maybe of my theory: Maybe because that Mew must have passed on it's job to Arceus and that Arceus must be classified as the "god" of Pokemon. Then that the rest of the regular Pokemon much have been made naturally(Banette made of a doll), some of them are prehistoric naturally by the gods, and that the rest was made soon after naturally to adapt to their area. Plus, it did say that Mew carries all the DNA of the Pokemon, so it must be first. Anyways, do you think that either Arceus or Mew was the first Pokemon to be born? Sources tooken by Bulbapedia, Serebii, and other forums. Brief summary: Mew was made of itself, it then "created" Arceus in a egg of chaos, then that Arceus created the rest of the Pokemon and the universe, and took Mew's Role as the creator of Pokemon and for making the Legendaries. But this is a theory, not a fact. EDIT: I didn't know that there was a forum post like this, it probably took my post to here.

Years
One of those stories that will be discussed either way. My question would be is, how was Arceus, itself, created?

That's like asking, how was God created? lol

But arceus is much like God. I mean religious people argue (iirc) that there could not randomly have been a universe, but the same thing goes for God himself. Like how could there randomly have been a God?

How could there randomly have been a pokemon? But that's a different discussion...

I just think that Arceus stands above all pokemon (even though I think Arceus is incredibly lame) and Mew was the first pokemon he created. Therefore Mew is the ancestor of all pokemon.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
I've always thought that Arceus created the planet with it's plates and that mew then came and made all the Pokémon. Like bulbapedia says, it is unknown whether Mew even originated on earth, it could have come to the planet after arceus created it and made it possible for life to thrive.

Last edited:
Years
That's also what I believe as well that Mew could have came from another species or universe of Pokemon, afterall it is a mirage Pokemon.

Years
Arceus is the god of the Pokemon World.
Mew is like Jesus, except without a beard. And no resurrection.
Personally, I think the Pokemon Company just seriously hoped no one got that bored that they realised they stuffed up and created so many loopholes in the theory of Pokemon.

But that leaves the question of is it a Pokemon world with Humans or a Human world with Pokemon? Are Humans from another planet?
Questions for the universe in which supposably Arceus had something to do with.

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
Arceus is the so called creator of the universe. So if it actually exists (which it does, cause you can see, battle and even catch it), it must have been the 1st thing to actually exist. Everything else was later made by it (maybe I should write "It" with a cap I).

Arceus is the creator but not the ancestor. It created Mew, and all other Pokemon were born of Mew (don't ask how). So I think Arceus came first.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I'd have to say Arceus since he did create every other Pokemon out there barring experiments such as Mewtwo and Castform to name a few though.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
When I saw this topic, I instantly made up the story of how it all happened...

But I'm not sure if people would want me to post it here...

(for the creepy factor...)

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2012
Idk Arceus is known as God of all pokemon so I dont think mew is the ancestor of all by which means he is God too that makes no sense.

Ciz

La la la ♪
Years
Well probably Arceus made Mew in my opinion. Arceus might have made the DNA of the self-generating Mew. Arceus is GOD, and Mew is still just a Pokemon.

Religions aside. Just Pokemon. Just Satoshi. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back