• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[AAR] Civ 4 BtS - How not to wage a war

Years
- - - Abandoned, because this turned out to be incredibly boring and lengthy - - -

Hello everyone, welcome to what's going to be both my second AAR (this time it's more realistic I'll finish it...) and this forum's second Civ 4 AAR (I hope Donny won't mind :)).

Like the title says, today we're here to try out some of the war aspects of the game
barbarian.gif
, therefore the settings are:

• Prince Difficulty. I can play the next highest level, Monarch, and have tried one Emperor (above Monarch) game before and was leading in score, tech and land early on because - believe it or not - I actually paid attention to stuff but never finished it (and was playing as Willem van Oranje, whom I consider close to being overpowered), but I'm a coward, so Prince it is.
  • A map script that pretty resource poor but allows me to play a map bigger than the usually largest possible size, huge.
  • Marathon Speed. Which basically means that everything takes three times as long as in a normal game. There are some other differences I haven't memorized.
  • Raging Barbarians. Recently I tried a game with these settings and got reduced to an Island exile pretty early because I forgot it was on
    laugh.gif
    Let's see how much better I will do if I won't...
  • Huts and Events are off. Free techs or lots of money from huts can make one civ run far, far away from the others, if that's me that would be good, but if it's someone else... better not. Events because 90% of them only serve the purpose of pissing the player off. "Oh look, the slaves are revolting in your capital, your forests are on fire, so are your forges and theatres, and there are tornadoes and hurricanes everywhere. The only positive thing: Your HIV test." An unfunny joke is just the right way to describe such a fun-ruining mechanic.
  • Just to appear smarter than I actually am, I screwed around with the tech costs.
    Spoiler:
    What could this hastily written mess of a note mean? The letters are abbreviations for the era names and the numbers are supposed to be percentages but since my 5 key which is also used for the percentage sign is broken, I avoid using it if I can. So basically the whole thing means that the later into the game we are, the longer researching a tech will take. Why did I do this? Usually research becomes faster and faster the longer you're into a game, so Renaissance Wars always have to be executed hastily in order to win before Industrial units show up, and it only gets worse later on. One thing that would be awkward would be if I somehow missed a tech and it still has its original cost. And I'm pretty sure I did, so before really starting with the game, I'm going to look through the file once more and compare it with the backup I did of course make.
  • Unrestricted leaders. Makes you able to play as any leader from any civilization. It's fun unless you get both a sucky leader and a sucky Civ. But fortunately, that's not the case in this game.
I was just going to pick my favorite leader with a good civ, but ended up picking random. My own fault. The generator decided for:
01.png

No synergy, but a truly excellent combination for these settings!
Pericles' traits are, as shown above, Philosophical and Creative, which means we get Great People faster (I usually don't care about them even though I know I should, but in general it's a pretty good ability) and Universities are cheaper (meh, this isn't going to be the most research-heavy game...) from PHI and 2 culture per turn (this is excellent, saves a lot of time, since each city will need 10 culture (30 in Marathon, I think) to control as many tiles as it can work, more if there's a neighboring city owned by another civ that isn't going to be conquered too soon) in each city and a couple more cheap buildings including Libraries from CRE, these will help our early research a lot, and early research actually matters.
So much for Pericles. Now, the so-called Native America has the Totem Pole that gives extra EXP to Archers. It replaces the Monument that gives 1 culture per turn (of course the Totem Pole does this as well). For a Creative leader, Monuments are THE most unnecessary building in the game, but those EXP could be nice. And there's the Dog Soldier, an Axeman that has 4 Strength instead of 5, but doesn't require resources and gets a 100% bonus against Melee units instead of the usual 50%. So, these two things are going to help against these raging Barbarians quite a lot, even if this won't be quite as much of defensive overkill as Sitting Bull, the usual leader of N.A. provides with his Protective trait that strengthens Archers (and later Gunpowder units) even more, but economically kinda sucks unfortunately. I probably would have liked being something like the Ottomans or Mayans who receive happiness (important for grow big cities, and big cities are, of course, more efficient than small ones. A lot.) bonuses from their unique buildings better, but these defense improvements aren't bad at all.

And why would I edit my real name out? Why not?
schulterzuck.gif

Anyway, here is our beautiful starting position:
02.png

I don't like this. We're not next to the river, and we can't go there without losing one of these Clams. I love rivers, but that's not worth it, and I'm not going to hope for other seafood down south (the southern blue circle implies that that position is good, but these circles aren't too trustworthy), it's too risky. I think I'm just going to settle where the Settler already stands for these other reasons:

• Because of the many forests that effectively reduce our Settler's movement to 1 tile per turn, we would lose turns moving anywhere but East. And while the east looks nicely green and has a river, we don't know how many resources there are.
  • While the hill Sheep sucks and Fish would have been better than Clam, our food situation is pretty good. If, for example we'd settle where the Warrior (that guy with the club, in case it's not obvious) stands, we'd have even more food, but in general, the land would be far worse.
  • We won't be able to build one of these lovely Levees in the capital, but at least the Lake will give us a Health bonus. That's pretty nice.
  • We can always Settle other cities near other resources, move the capital to a better place by building a palace there and whatnot.

So, as said, I'll look through the tech file once more and try to find out whether I partially screwed up there because I'm pretty sure I did, and then the game can actually begin. Tomorrow, because these preparations and writing this crappy text took me a lot longer than expected and I am weak and therefore need some sleep.
schlafend.gif

Some probably not very useful notes:
Spoiler:
[/SIZE]
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
I had already written what, if not properly formatted, would have been quite a wall of text, misclicked - apparently I pressed Ctrl+W, I can't see how that could have happened considering how far W is away from V (on the keyboard, not in the alphabet) - and pasting an image URL is what I was actually trying - and closed the tab
rant.gif
I'm afraid I'll never fully master the arts of not accidentally deleting any post I actually put some effort into.

So, what did I talk about first? The whole tech mini-mod. My entirely non-malicious intention here was to increase the Barbarian pressure even more, since the early phase is where they are the most dangerous and stretching that early phase... Being able to war for longer later without meeting technologically superior units on the enemy side is just a nice side effect
whistle_EHWYHS.gif
- and it doesn't mean the AI won't abuse it as well if given the chance, it's not particularly unlikely someone like Shaka or the Khan will be in the game and become a major power.

Oh, and map size and game speed should be increased/decreased proportionally and since this map is bigger than Huge...
besserwisser.gif

That and real men also have the courage to wear pink, which don't think I've done a single time in my life so far. So I would never have been able to claim being a real man anyway.

Another thing about the mini-mod, I got my issues sorted out now. Yesterday I started the whole thing believing the techs are sorted by eras, but I had no such luck. So I missed probably about half of them, good thing I noticed it, would have been a little awkward otherwise. I knew me only having multiplied 3 medieval techs by 1,3 was a bit suspicious
smiley_grin.gif

So, I at this point I am ready to start...
Spoiler:

Years
No. I will let that person declare war on him because it will most likely be easier. The Bull might not be Tokugawa, but he is kind of an isolationist - and most of the warmongers always seem to hate him anyway. We don't have any mutual contacts yet though, not by the end of this update (spoilers
ec9f2_tongue.gif
).
Spoiler:

Years
The mountains and lakes to the Southeast are full of chokepoints, in fact I can wall me off entirely from the barbs that way and I had already finished that by the time I posted the last update. I just hope my Dogs survive
emot-ohdear.png

Spoiler:

Back